Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2022, 14:28   #2206
BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Dear Friends, My first servicing of the Tata Safari XZA+ is due the day after tomorrow. May I please have some advice/suggestions on what I should focus on once I am at the Service Station (Key Motors, Kanakapura Road, Bangalore)? Should I stay and monitor the proceedings constantly?
I'll be grateful for your responses.
Old 28th June 2022, 12:34   #2207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandytimes View Post
Dear Friends, My first servicing of the Tata Safari XZA+ is due the day after tomorrow. May I please have some advice/suggestions on what I should focus on once I am at the Service Station (Key Motors, Kanakapura Road, Bangalore)? Should I stay and monitor the proceedings constantly?
I'll be grateful for your responses.
I recently completed my 1st service at Adishakti near Hebbal. In first service its basically just a quick check and top fluids if any (i topped up my DEF). Its was huge rush and they took sweet time to complete service. Also are there any observation you want to fix, if so you can wait at service station but it will be tiresome so be prepared.
Old 30th June 2022, 10:29   #2208
BHPian

Dear friends.
Like most Safaris, mine also has a left pull.
I asked the service guys to rectify it . After wheel balancing, the issue persisted. Hence they kept the car for steering calibration and chassis campers adjustments.
Even after this, the issue of left pull is still there. And I’m observing some significant steering vibrations after this work . It’s peculiarly at speeds above 80 only .
I have been driving in city traffic most of the times, hence could not speed beyond 100.
But what could be the problem here.
I’m planning to take the car to service Center again. So any feedback will be helpful
NitSat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 15:14   #2209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitSat View Post
Dear friends.
Like most Safaris, mine also has a left pull.
I asked the service guys to rectify it . After wheel balancing, the issue persisted. Hence they kept the car for steering calibration and chassis campers adjustments.
Even after this, the issue of left pull is still there. And I’m observing some significant steering vibrations after this work . It’s peculiarly at speeds above 80 only .
I have been driving in city traffic most of the times, hence could not speed beyond 100.
But what could be the problem here.
I’m planning to take the car to service Center again. So any feedback will be helpful
Usually one of the front tyres would have been unevenly worn by this time due to the misalignment. Ask the alignment shop guys to inspect the tyres and install the best two out of the four in the front axle.

Now redo the alignment as well as balancing and you should be good - repeat every 5K.
Kosfactor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 22:57   #2210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Usually one of the front tyres would have been unevenly worn by this time due to the misalignment. Ask the alignment shop guys to inspect the tyres and install the best two out of the four in the front axle.

Now redo the alignment as well as balancing and you should be good - repeat every 5K.
In fact, I asked the service guys to rotate front and back tyres during the service. And the issue of steering vibration has started after the service . Hopefully alignment will sort this issue. Thanks Kosafactor for your suggestions.
Old 1st July 2022, 23:09   #2211
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In fact, I asked the service guys to rotate front and back tyres during the service. And the issue of steering vibration has started after the service . Hopefully alignment will sort this issue. Thanks Kosafactor for your suggestions.
According to the alignment tech it was cupping wear due to misalignment, but to fix (depending on severity) it you also need to balance the tires along with alignment correction, swapping them to the rear etc. Whatever the fellow did including reversing the tire on the wheel, it finally fixed it.

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/lear.../tire-cupping/
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 19:41   #2212
Senior - BHPian

Is ISOFIX really available only in XZ variants and above? Am a little surprised what sort of OEM would skip such a basic safety feature in a 22 lakh rupee car
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 03:42   #2213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Like most Safaris, mine also has a left pull.
2. After wheel balancing, the issue persisted. Hence they kept the car for steering calibration and chassis campers adjustments.
Even after this, the issue of left pull is still there.
3. And I’m observing some significant steering vibrations after this work . It’s peculiarly at speeds above 80 only .
So any feedback will be helpful
1. Note if the left pull is there on a flat road (no significant left-right slant; most slant to the left) while accelerating gently. If it is predominantly while accelerating hard, it could simply be Torque Steer at work, which isn't uncommon for high torque FWD vehicles due to differing driveshaft lengths and angles, which come up due to constraints of mounting the engine in a FWD.

If the pull isn't there while accelerating gently, think twice before tampering much, as it is a constraint with the nature of vehicle design. One might do more harm than help.

2. Maybe you meant wheel alignment? To take care of a car pulling in one direction, one needs wheel alignment and not balancing.

3. This is a classic sign of wheel balancing being off.

I'm unsure if the right guys are handling it. Might be worth trying another service centre or a reputed tyre shop.

Quote:
In fact, I asked the service guys to rotate front and back tyres during the service. And the issue of steering vibration has started after the service . Hopefully alignment will sort this issue.
The recommended practice to routinely rotate tyres for even wear, as Kosfactor said, but I've often avoided it for precisely the kind reason you faced. I often get it done after longish periods - say 10-15k kms or so. It also appears that many service guys will tamper with the wheel weights to mess the balancing to be able to balance again and charge for it - it is good money for someone who has invested in the equipment. Ideally balancing should not get off by tyre rotation, yet is commonly done.

Getting tyres aligned at any significant sign of unnatural pull is highly recommended for tyre life and safe driving.
Poitive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 14:23   #2214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
According to the alignment tech it was cupping wear due to misalignment, but to fix (depending on severity) it you also need to balance the tires along with alignment correction, swapping them to the rear etc. Whatever the fellow did including reversing the tire on the wheel, it finally fixed it.

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/lear.../tire-cupping/
To my untrained eyes , could not make out any cupping. However as the article describes, it look like tyre issue causing steering vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
1. Note if the left pull is there on a flat road (no significant left-right slant; most slant to the left) while accelerating gently. If it is predominantly while accelerating hard, it could simply be Torque Steer at work, which isn't uncommon for high torque FWD vehicles due to differing driveshaft lengths and angles, which come up due to constraints of mounting the engine in a FWD.

If the pull isn't there while accelerating gently, think twice before tampering much, as it is a constraint with the nature of vehicle design. One might do more harm than help.

2. Maybe you meant wheel alignment? To take care of a car pulling in one direction, one needs wheel alignment and not balancing.

3. This is a classic sign of wheel balancing being off.

I'm unsure if the right guys are handling it. Might be worth trying another service centre or a reputed tyre shop.

The recommended practice to routinely rotate tyres for even wear, as Kosfactor said, but I've often avoided it for precisely the kind reason you faced. I often get it done after longish periods - say 10-15k kms or so. It also appears that many service guys will tamper with the wheel weights to mess the balancing to be able to balance again and charge for it - it is good money for someone who has invested in the equipment. Ideally balancing should not get off by tyre rotation, yet is commonly done.

Getting tyres aligned at any significant sign of unnatural pull is highly recommended for tyre life and safe driving.
Yes Poitive. That was precisely the reason for swapping the tyres . In a big size FWD, it’s the front tyres that take maximum brunt . Hence swapping the tyres definitely increases the lifespan of tyres. But it’s given my right hand unwarranted physiotherapy and lots of haedache it seems.

I experienced this left pull even without accelerating hard, sometimes even in cruise control.

But what’s baffling me , is why the steering vibrations only beyond the speed of 80. As if some ghost transcends into the steering.
The chiming after 80km/hr is not enough according to TML , hence this new warning.

Now the question is , should I go back to ASC , who botched up the issue, or should I take it to independent tyre alignment service.
NitSat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 14:55   #2215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. In a big size FWD, it’s the front tyres that take maximum brunt . Hence swapping the tyres definitely increases the lifespan of tyres.

2. But what’s baffling me , is why the steering vibrations only beyond the speed of 80. As if some ghost transcends into the steering.
1. This happens in all cars, but yes, more pronounced in heavier fwd cars. Further, in a left side driving region like India, the front left will wear out faster. Rotation distributes this wear across tyres.

2. No ghosts there, mate. Steering vibrations within a certain speed range is a classic sign of wheels needing balancing. It is well known and age old. Popularly known in India since the days the Maruti 800 was introduced. That your service guys didn't say so made me wonder if you're with the right guys.

Often, going across that speed range will again get the steeering to near-normal feel again.

Though it could also happen due to other reasons such as tyre distortion etc due to suspension issues, but steering vibrations at a certain speed is almost always a wheel balancing issue, and the first thing I'd address.
Poitive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 17:22   #2216
BHPian

Quote:

Now the question is , should I go back to ASC , who botched up the issue, or should I take it to independent tyre alignment service.
Hey NitSat. I was in the same postion sometime back. The car came out from its first month service from Tata with a left pull prevailing and with a vibration in the 70 - 90 kmph. I had asked the service centre to do a wheel alignment and I got an alignment report, but was not charged anything for it.

With no results on the alignment done by Tata service, I did not want to waste a day trying the same route. Instead, I took it to a a tyre shop and they fixed it for me. The left pull also went off I guess (it no longer bothers me, at least, which is what I want).

Would recommend you to take it to a trusted wheel and tyre shop to get it done.
NotanF1driver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 13:22   #2217
BHPian

Hello All,
Here is an update to my vibration/noise issue posted here (2021 Tata Safari Review) earlier which is now resolved.

I got some time last week and raised a complaint through IRA call customer care option.
Surprisingly, TML team got back to me within 2hrs and followed through like crazy over the entire week to get the Safari checked at their service center nearby.

I booked an appointment with Rudra Motors, Pune with lot of hesitation worrying about what other problems they will add on top.
Once there, to my shock, the SA called a sound expert and he immediately acknowledged the issue and told me that he knows the exact fix. I was expecting him to say tire noise etc

Below part was replaced and I was told that this pipe causes the grinding/vibration noises.
I got the car on same day evening and found the steering to be super lite and noise free.
They haven't closed my complaint yet and said will keep it open for few days for observation.

So far, I am happy and pleasantly surprised with TML service.

Part changed:
2021 Tata Safari Review-hydraulic-pipe.jpg

Found this part on Boodmo which has close resemblance.
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-hose..._end-40564716/
ramjiramu is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 19:39   #2218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjiramu View Post
Hello All,
Here is an update to my vibration/noise issue posted here (2021 Tata Safari Review) earlier which is now resolved.

I got some time last week and raised a complaint through IRA call customer care option.
Surprisingly, TML team got back to me within 2hrs and followed through like crazy over the entire week to get the Safari checked at their service center nearby.

I booked an appointment with Rudra Motors, Pune with lot of hesitation worrying about what other problems they will add on top.
Once there, to my shock, the SA called a sound expert and he immediately acknowledged the issue and told me that he knows the exact fix. I was expecting him to say tire noise etc

Below part was replaced and I was told that this pipe causes the grinding/vibration noises.
I got the car on same day evening and found the steering to be super lite and noise free.
They haven't closed my complaint yet and said will keep it open for few days for observation.

So far, I am happy and pleasantly surprised with TML service.

Part changed:
Attachment 2328844

Found this part on Boodmo which has close resemblance.
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-hose..._end-40564716/

Which month year manufactured safari do you own ?
Safari_Beast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 22:49   #2219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
Which month year manufactured safari do you own ?
It is Mar 2022 Manufactured XZA+ Safari Dark edition.

Also, the technician was telling me that, Tata will soon be launching electronic power steering for its upcoming upgrade in August.
He says there is a possibility of upgrade for existing models too. Can someone with Tata Motors contacts confirm this?
ramjiramu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 00:36   #2220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjiramu View Post
... Also, the technician was telling me that, Tata will soon be launching electronic power steering for its upcoming upgrade in August...
Besides easier availability of Harrier+Safari, the steering is my main attraction towards them. XUV700, though different also has a competent suspension+chassis, but the steering is totally devoid of feel and feedback (not talking about weighing up here), and that significantly takes away from the sense of connect with the XUV700 in my case.

I do understand the convenience, mapping, and 'feature on a brochure' an EPS would bring, and understand why Tata might be okay going in for an EPS considering popular perception; also that it makes a car a tad more fuel efficient. EPS is also typically cheaper.

A pity that another enthusiast-oriented aspect might fall to popular choice.

Would be fantastic if they got an electro-hydraulic giving best of both worlds - feel, feedback, and ease at slow speeds, but that is hardly realistic to even hope for.

[Note: In an electro-hydraulic the hydraulic pump is run by an electric motor than by a a belt attached to the engine, so it provides the benifits of an HPS when needed, and the slow-speed convenience and customization an EPS provides. Since like an EPS, the motor is run only while turning, it is also more fuel efficient than a pure HPS.]

Last edited by Poitive : 5th July 2022 at 00:40. Reason: Refinement.
Poitive is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks