Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2022, 11:40   #2266

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

1 year update.

I’ve had a mixed bag experience considering of highs and lows in my time with the safari.

I own a Safari XZA+ Automatic which was delivered to me on the 25th of June, 2021. I had posted about my experience on the first day and how I had to visit the service centre to clear the engine check light warning.

I’ve completed 15,8xx kms as of today and till now apart from the regular service visits, I’ve had to take my car in for other issues.

1. DEF! This is a very inconvenient component. Even after making sure that I refill at the same authorised centre, they have managed to spill it around the intake and caused white marks.
2. Right around 4-5k kms, there was a weird sound coming in from the rear, almost like a big tank of water moving around every time the road surface changed. I took the car to the service centre to check and they replaced the back left suspension under warranty. Surprising that something failed in less than 6 months.
3. I had to claim insurance just in the month of May as I got into a minor accident with a biker at the round about who came from the wrong side. As the car was going in anyway, I asked if they could do the 12 month/15,000 kms service already. They didn’t seem to have an issue with it, odo read 13,6xx kms. When I went to collect my car, the bumper wasn’t aligned, the grey plastic cladding had some powder marks on it, as they hadn’t cleaned and polished it. The white seats were dirty even after me asking for plastic covers(which they charged me extra for). I was asked to wait as it was lunch time and a simple practice of collecting my car took 2 and a half hours purely because of negligence.
4. 10 days ago, I was on my way back from Mahabaleshwar where I crossed the 15k kms mark, the engine oil light started blinking. This was a little strange as the service was done, car showed no issues in the drive but a warning light was causing discomfort. Got the oil checked, levels were okay so continued with the drive. I had to visit the infamous service centre again. This time the SA responded like it was a common thing, mentioned something on the lines of degeneration needs to be done. Painful! Had to leave the car for an entire day as they didn’t have any laptop free.
5. I’m typing this while facing the current issue. As I left from the gym today, the drive was noisy! The most irritating screeching sounds from all wheels was making every single person on the road turn around. It kept varying in intensity but it’s there on all 4 tyres! And guess what, I have to visit the service centre again!!!

If I were to be objective about this car, I like the car. The looks, the drive, the feel, it’s all there. When I’m driving it, I absolutely enjoy it. But the big problem is I don’t know how reliable this car can be. There have been plenty of small niggles of the car not starting, random warning honks, errors, infotainment errors(the worst part about this car) etc.

The after sales service is definitely questionable. It feels like Tata hasn’t evolved from the Indica days, they don’t know how to deal with a customer who has paid 26L for a car. The service centre moves at their own pace and people just don’t want to do anything extra.

So, if you wish to buy a Safari, please make sure you know what you’re getting into. It’s a flawed product managed by incompetent people.
And if you already own a safari, I wish you luck and hope you don’t have to go through the pain.
El_Profesor is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 21:10   #2267
BHPian

After driving a few other cars like the Skoda Kodiaq and the Jeep Compass and even my own MG Hector. I feel the test car I drove had very weird steering. Did not give me the same weighing in feel the other cars did. The car felt tight in low speeds and quite "loose" on the steering at higher speeds. Somewhere I felt a lack of precision engineering.
The SA told me that the 2022 Safari has had some updates on the steering. I dont know if this is verified information. Perhaps a some of you could answer that.
Even if so, I would need to drive a 2022 car to be absolutely sure the steering is how I like it.
satyanu28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 11:12   #2268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyanu28 View Post
After driving a few other cars like the Skoda Kodiaq and the Jeep Compass and even my own MG Hector. I feel the test car I drove had very weird steering. Did not give me the same weighing in feel the other cars did. The car felt tight in low speeds and quite "loose" on the steering at higher speeds. Somewhere I felt a lack of precision engineering.
The SA told me that the 2022 Safari has had some updates on the steering. I dont know if this is verified information. Perhaps a some of you could answer that.
Even if so, I would need to drive a 2022 car to be absolutely sure the steering is how I like it.
I own a 2022 KZR XZA+ where i feel the steering is alright. I am used to driving with one hand on gear stick due to all my previous manuals and still following the same in city rides and able to manouvre Safari without any issue. On highways i use 2 hands on steering and i feel the steering having very good feedback.
msk_kapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 19:37   #2269
BHPian

Hi everyone, gave my Safari XTA+ for first service to PPS motors, Chennai. Selected them as they had best rating in terms of service experience and also in terms of stockyard size/service area. Found these pointers on the job card terms and conditions.
Point 3. I understand service centers pass the buck to owners in terms of risk in Vehicle handling but how can theft be included here(Loss of vehicle due to theft)
Point 6. This basically says, while they try and do their best in terms of service and part quality, they are not liable for poor part quality/workmanship.

This points look ridiculous, is it normal? I have seen Ford job cards but these points look little too extreme.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Tata Safari Review-whatsapp-image-20220811-7.25.35-pm.jpeg  

vegitakarthik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 22:14   #2270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegitakarthik View Post
Hi everyone, gave my ... I understand service centers pass the buck to owners in terms of risk in Vehicle handling but how can theft be included here(Loss of vehicle due to theft)
Point 6. This basically says, while they try and do their best in terms of service and part quality, they are not liable for poor part quality/workmanship.

This points look ridiculous, is it normal? I have seen Ford job cards but these points look little too extreme.
Agree. We had an earlier discussion on this subject, especially the owner being responsible - even for any damage to vehicle during test drives. This whole matter needs to be taken up at a larger level.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 09:28   #2271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitSat View Post
Dear friends.
Like most Safaris, mine also has a left pull.
I asked the service guys to rectify it . After wheel balancing, the issue persisted. Hence they kept the car for steering calibration and chassis campers adjustments.
Even after this, the issue of left pull is still there. And I’m observing some significant steering vibrations after this work . It’s peculiarly at speeds above 80 only .
I have been driving in city traffic most of the times, hence could not speed beyond 100.
But what could be the problem here.
I’m planning to take the car to service Center again. So any feedback will be helpful
Dear friends,

I too face the same problem, I do regular inter-state runs and the left pull is unbearable now.
Also the steering wobbles and vibrates between 80-110kmph.

It felt so uncomfortable in my June Chennai-Kochi 700km run that I took my Polo GT Legend for this months interstate run.

I have taken the car to the TASS, but they say its rectified.

Frustrated and sad.
Kindly help
cochinist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 11:20   #2272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochinist View Post
Dear friends,

I too face the same problem, I do regular inter-state runs and the left pull is unbearable now.
Also the steering wobbles and vibrates between 80-110kmph.

It felt so uncomfortable in my June Chennai-Kochi 700km run that I took my Polo GT Legend for this months interstate run.

Frustrated and sad.
Kindly help
Take the vehicle to Spectrum Tyres Maradu - very easy to reach there.

Their techs were very helpful.

Ask them to test drive the vehicle, if needed swap front tyres to back and then realign it. You problem should be solved here. Redo the alignment in another 5K.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 14:05   #2273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochinist View Post

Frustrated and sad.
Kindly help
If you are in Chennai, check with Lal tires, Maduravoyal. I exactly had the same problems which got rectified after wheel balancing and alignment there. Also where do you service your car in Chennai.
vegitakarthik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 20:54   #2274
BHPian

Quote:
If you are in Chennai, check with Lal tires, Maduravoyal. I exactly had the same problems which got rectified after wheel balancing and alignment there. Also where do you service your car in Chennai.
i felt a slight pull to left and in first service it was rectified by PPS motors service center in chromepet.
msk_kapoor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 21:33   #2275
BHPian

Had booked Safari XZA+ Seven seater Kaziranga edition on 22.07.2022
Did PDI at the stockyard today (thanks to Team BHP PDI checklist). Everything looked good. I was told I can't drive the car, so the PDI did not include a drive. (I did it when I bought the T Jet in 2014).
ODO had 15kms. I was told it will be about 25kms by the time of delivery because the car will go to RTO for registration.
August manufactured vehicle.
Bridgestone Ecopia tyres manufactured in 3rd week of June 22.
Couldn't find anything amiss.
Since it is Holiday here in Pondy on 15&16 and I am away on official work on 17 & 18, expected delivery is on 19th.

Have asked for some useful accessories like side steps, sun screen, Scuff plates etc.

The insurance quoted by the dealership appeared a bit too high, so I got a quote from HDFC Ergo. Must say I had a very good experience with the insurance staff at HDFC Ergo. The dealer has agreed to match the quote from outside.

The dealership was providing FasTag from Indusind bank, but I wanted to retain the HDFC FasTag wallet I am already having. It has a balance of about INR 1550/-. Contacted the HDFC Fastag customer care about procuring a new RFID for the still unregistered car with existing wallet. Was asked to do it at a HDFC bank branch. The staff at HDFC main branch said it cannot be done (without car's registration number). But I told them that it can be done using chassis & engine numbers (that is how dealers do it). Finally the bank staff put me in touch with their FasTag staff in Madurai and he got the job done. New RFID for the Safari in on the way (courier) and should reach tomorrow.

Regarding the car, I have been going through the problems reported by others here in the forum. Keeping fingers crossed.

By the way, I think it will be a good idea to update the PDI checklist to include newer features (like ventilated seats, sunroof, wireless connectivity, charging ports, electric seat height / position adjustment etc) and BS6 related stuff (eg: DEF) in the checklist so that nothing is missed out.
sparameswaran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 23:11   #2276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Profesor View Post
2. Right around 4-5k kms, there was a weird sound coming in from the rear, almost like a big tank of water moving around every time the road surface changed. I took the car to the service centre to check and they replaced the back left suspension under warranty. Surprising that something failed in less than 6 months.
Whether the sound issue is resolved in your SAFARI?
My SAFARI also has a similar weird sound issue coming from back side. The sound in my SAFARI is like water drop dripping on a metal surface kind. I am yet to take the vehicle to service center. Will be of help to guide them if your problem is solved with suspension replacement, since both problems sounds similar to me.

Has anyone else in this forum experienced similar kind of sound in SAFARI? If experienced, could TATA provide a solution for the problem?
Sreejith V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 00:26   #2277
BHPian

Photos of a camouflaged mule of the supposed Tata Safari facelift are doing rounds on the internet. Prima facie, one can spot different detailing on the grille, resized headlamp cluster, and a slightly different LED signature on the tail lamps (this could be due to the poor quality of the image). Hopefully, it will carry over the other updates from the Harrier facelift, viz. a petrol mill, larger ICE system, ADAS, etc. and (wishful thinking) an official safety rating!

2021 Tata Safari Review-tatasafarifacelift.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-tatasafarifaceliftrear.jpg

Source: https://www.motorbeam.com/tata-safar...he-first-time/
RoverX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 00:27   #2278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreejith V View Post
Whether the sound issue is resolved in your SAFARI?
Hey! Yes, the sound vanished the time they replaced the suspension. I took the SA and the technician for a drive and made the technician sit behind to hear the sounds. He acknowledged that it was the suspension and the necessary work was carried out. Hope that helps
El_Profesor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 17:46   #2279
BHPian

Can someone buy a new Safari again after driving Safari Dicor for almost 10 years?

YES!

What I was driving: Safari EX, June 2012 with 1.36L on odometer, I was happily driving my humble Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 which had given me fuss-free ownership experience. Except routine services (twice a year) nothing more this car demanded from me. 2 times the battery changed and once the tire changed, at 85,000KM suspension work was done, that's it. Once the clutch-plates were changed under warranty due to a noise (was not that loud).

Reason for the change: Diesel cars can run in NCR for 10 years and need of a proper 7 seaters for 4 adults and 2 kids.

The background: From late 2019, I was looking to upgrade as the family needed a proper 7 seater to move around with 6 people onboard. Harrier 7 seater was ready to enter the market and at the same time, BS6 norm were ready to be rolled out from April 2020 so waited further then comes the Feb 2020 when in general enquired about the Hexa 4wd and dealer offered a deal on BS4 Hexa 4x2 XT of 2.5 L discount, I was about to opt for this for two reasons: first, the Hexa was an awesome product and second the big discount amount. But it was only offered on an in-stock vehicle, which was in Royal Blue color and somehow I didn't go ahead with it, my choice was White and it was a deal breaker. Then came the Covid-19 in mid March 2020. Thanks to the dealer for not stocking white else the car would have been parked for 2 years due to lockdown and work from home.

Cutting it short, now comes the year 2022 and I had to sell off the Safari Dicor due to the 10 years ruling in Delhi-NCR. Despite of being a happy customer for last 10 years some how there were thoughts in the mind to look for some other car.

Other cars which were in my thoughts:
Innova Crysta, fantastic car but found it too boring (personal opinion, no offence to the fellow owners)
XUV 700, due to long delivery period (10-12 months when I enquired in Feb 2022) didn't even asked for test drive else might have opted for AWD variant

Finally, I decided to moved ahead with the New Safari. So I will be driving the same iconic brand name "Safari" again!

Choice of variant: Must have safety features which nowadays comes with modern age cars. Being from NCR, the sunroof when given as an option was no pick. The #Dark edition was on display, family was inclined towards it but I managed to agree on White as maintaining black color is a task, so I picked Safari XZ, Orcus White

Booking experience was smooth with the dealership (Sagar Motors) and the Sales Advisor offered test drive of Safari XZA+ but I wanted a manual transmission considering next purchase will be a electric so wanted to enjoy manual transmission for next few years but I must acknowledge that the AT was very refined and just to have a feel of manual transmission I was offered Harrier, as the TD vehicle was manual transmission and I liked it. Only issue I noticed that Safari/Harrier with manual transmission is that it will shut if the speed is less than 10KMPH and it is not in first gear. After test drive, next day I made the booking for Safari XZ, Orcus White. With in 2 days I got the welcome call from the dealer to confirm about the booking and a WhatsApp group was created by them with SA, Sr. Sales Manager and Sales Head of the dealership and they shared contact details (name, email) of the regional manager from TML. SA (Sumit Singh) was always polite and supportive during the entire process from TD till delivery.

Initially, I got 4-6 weeks delivery time but it took around 8 weeks to get my hands on my new Safari. After 6 weeks I had to reach out to TML regional manager and customer care (via email) as there was no clarity on the allocation of the vehicle from TML and dealer had shown me many email exchange from their side asking about allocation against my booking. I explained the issue on email that I need to sell (exchange) the Dicor as it has got only 2 months time to get NOC from the authority to transfer the vehicle to some other state. Don't know this email communication worked or as per booking sequence the allocation was done 2 days after my email communication. With in 7-8 days the car reached the dealership's stockyard and then to the dealership where I did the PDI as per the Team-BHP checklist and proceeded for the payment. The ODO was at 79 KM.

Finally got the car in May 2022 with one key only, the second one will be given in a few weeks (probably at second service), because of chip shortage. On the day of delivery, with heavy heart handed over the Dicor to the dealership.

Delivery experience, it all started with strange beeps!
On the day of delivery all formalities were done within 2 hours (including handing over of my Dicor in exchange), the dealer got the cake (wasn't expecting anything this sort of based on previous experience of buying Tata vehicle 10 years ago!) with the sales team around to congratulate us. Tata has come a long way in the last 10 years, still needs to go further.

The moment I took the car out of the showroom, the first beep sound came, first I thought it might be due to low fuel in the vehicle, headed straight to the fuel station and got the tank full expecting the beep alert will not be there now but it was beeping at an interval of 30~40 seconds. I was stressed and headed back to the showroom :( the technical team member came along with me and asked to drive so that he can check what it is but even after 4-5 beeps he was clueless on this and one can understand what I was going through. Luckily when this beep came I saw some white text appeared (over the maps on the infotainment screen), I waited for the next beep and I noticed the message stated "Wireless charging started." My phone, the OnePlus 9 Pro, supports wireless charging so it was coming but for some reason the charging stopped after 30~40 seconds and again it was starting so the beep was coming. Even the technical person wasn't aware about the beep, he said "Sir, aaj pehli baar dekha hai." (Sir, I experienced this for the first time). Then to identify that this is a problem with the wireless charger I again reached the showroom and tried putting the phone in the display vehicle and there also similar things happened with that car, that assured me nothing wrong with my car, seems the OnePlus 9 Pro is not supporting charging with the provided wireless charger. What a relief!

Here are some pictures of my New Safari

2021 Tata Safari Review-tatasafariorcuswhiteinshowroom.jpg
2021 Tata Safari Review-tatasafariorcuswhitepassangersideview.jpeg
2021 Tata Safari Review-tatasafariorcuswhitepessangerside1.jpeg
2021 Tata Safari Review-tatasafariorcuswhitefront.jpeg
2021 Tata Safari Review-tatasafariorcuswhitesideprofielowangle.jpeg
2021 Tata Safari Review-tatasafariorcuswhiteontheway.jpeg
2021 Tata Safari Review-tatasafariorcuswhitenainital.jpeg

Here is the video of the beep issue due to wireless charging:

Next day, I realize that the car is not locking/unlocking with the request sensor, called the SA and he asked to come to the showroom, reached there and it was observed that on locking the car with the remote the horn were giving alert which I was thinking comes when the car is locked, the SA told me that for 5 doors the display shows if any door is open however for bonnet it only gives alerts on locking/unlocking and it was found that bonnet was not closed properly, this was big mistake at their end, probably while putting up the ribbon to the bonnet it was not closed properly by the person doing the job. Requested him to take this as a serious feedback and do cross-check in all new car deliveries. Second issue sorted.

After 10 days, on my way to Nainital, again a warning beep started coming with some yellow icon on the instrument cluster, now what? I tried to figure it out but as I was driving on a highway so after some distance got on the side to check but couldn't find anything to understand the issue but in some time it disappeared. Thought, might be some software issue but it came back again. This time I was able to read the message "TPMS error" then on checking the TPMS screen it showed "TPMS error, check tire" and again it disappeared on its own. The kind of stress this adds is too much. Also, the infotainment system should have an option to see at least the last few error alerts messages.

Now, coming to the good part. Safari drives amazingly well on highways, very well planted. On the mountains as well the performance was brilliant, hill hold works like a charm. Earlier I had to manage the clutch and brakes so well that the tank should not move back if needed to stop while moving towards the height. The suspension set up is perfect and you won't feel bad road patches inside the cabin. the feedback from the steering is good, it is a bit heavy but not that much that it will be deal breaker.

What I like:
- Engine performance is good
- When engine starts it doesn't shake up the entire body, initially I was missing that car start feeling which i was getting for almost 10 years
- Interiors looks premium
- Safety features, except ADAS it has all safety feature
- Good driving manners
- Brakes inspires confidence
- Flawless Android Auto connectivity
- Silent cabin
- Nothing falling from here n there (Dicor owners knows it well)

What I didn't like:
- Driving position is not commanding like the Safari Dicor
- It is a front wheel drive and even AWD option is not on offer
- White interiors are hard to maintain, something similar to Harrier interior (tan color) should be there
- Even after years, headlights are not adequate
- Please take few more thousands and offer automatic rear door open and shut
- Sluggish interface of the infotainment system
- Ventilated seats are not offered in XZ trim, only available in XZ+, XZA+ (personally, I didn't wanted to have a sunroof)

What more is needed:
- 360 degree camera, I was more confident in my Dicor while parking than this new Safari
- Fast and better user interface of the infotainment system
- AWD option (are you listening TML?)
- Total revamp of service centers, this area needs major improvement

I have shown trust in Tata Cars after owning one of their flagship SUVs for around a decade with a hope that the new Safari will live up to my expectations.

Would be interesting to know if any other BHPian has upgraded from Dicor 2.2 to the New Safari?
SaurabhSaran is offline   (61) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 12:07   #2280
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, I shall make a visit to the Maduravoyal facility of Lal tyres.
I get my car serviced at Gokulam Motors , Chennai.
Earlier used to get my Nexon, Tiago and Nano ( All Sold) serviced at Lakshmi Tata motors.
cochinist is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed