Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2022, 14:24   #2311
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparameswaran View Post
2. What is the price for DEF at your Tata Dealer? Price per litre or for a 5L can? Asking this because I believe the price in the market is only 60% of what the service centre is quoting.

3. Is it possible to fill DEF from outside Tata authorised service centres? If so, is it expected to affect the warranty? What is the customer supposed to do if the nearest service centre is far away?
Outside price depends on what brand you buy. Prices are getting revised as demand is increasing. For now you can get 5L for around 500-600. As I recall Tata service center was charging 640 or so and may be filling charges. You should be able refill yourself with simple tools(funnel+mug).

DEF is like fuel, filling any other brand outside Tata should not void warranty. However ensure you pick one of reputed brands and ensure there are no debris while filling.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 07:54   #2312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
A close friend has the Persona edition and he has done about 13,000 kms. His service centre informed that the front brake pads are due for a replacement. He doesn't push hard and wants to check what's the usual life of brake pads in the Harrier / Safari?
Hey swiftnfurios,

The brake pads in my Harrier XZA+ were changed at 24000kms.
The Riddler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 12:44   #2313
BHPian

Dear Friends, What should be the ideal tyre pressure? Should it be different for front and rear tyres?

Can you please share how to read the TPMS on the Tata Safari? I'll be very grateful.
Old 12th September 2022, 17:57   #2314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandytimes View Post
Dear Friends, What should be the ideal tyre pressure? Should it be different for front and rear tyres?

Can you please share how to read the TPMS on the Tata Safari? I'll be very grateful.
32-33 in all tyres should be fine IMO. I have found TPMS reading to be always on lower side so do your caliberation after filling. I've found it be more useful in giving warnings when punctures happen. Once had a puncture and loss of pressure which was difficult to spot visually but TPMS gave a prompt warning of low pressure.
CoffeeBeans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 13:31   #2315
BHPian

Jumped the Band wagon from Scorpio N Z8 D 4WD to Safari XZA+ Dark 6 Seater.

Scorpio N delivery ws slotted for Mar'23 which even if preponed would be Jan'23 with a 2022 model. Too much hype and lesser practical inputs.

Dislike: Seat stitching, Infotainment not that great not a fan of IoT despite being in IT. Adrenox is integrated too much. Rear 3rd row Fixed row. Never ending hyped waiting period.

Decision for Safari, same cost better package without the AWD. Would have loved the AWD though.

What I liked in Safari over Scorpio N

1.Better Seats with Recline and lateral movement, along with ventilation.
2.3rd Row 50:50 split
3.Ventilated Seats
4.Showroom and Service staff - I know debatable between various owners.
5.Seat belt inplace holders

Things I wish Safari had
1. AWD
2. Sunblinds Roll-up
3. Front Camera & Sensor -- To install list
4. Rear parcel tray as someone pointed out to use the Harrier I might be doing the same with few Hooks and modifications.

Now the wait begins.
iskandariya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 18:54   #2316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskandariya View Post
Jumped the Band wagon from Scorpio N Z8 D 4WD to Safari XZA+ Dark 6 Seater.

Now the wait begins.
Congratulations and welcome to group! I did similar jump from Scorpio N Z8L D to Safari Dark XZA+ in July 22 itself. Decision was made in a week and I had Black beast with me even before Scorpio N booking started. So far, I am really happy with my decision. Do go for detailed PDI of vehicle before making balance payment to dealer.

A question for fellow Safari owners.

Two days back, I parked the car(my covered parking) in evening with all tyres inflated with correct pressure. Next day morning, I found one of tyres to be flat. I used Tata contimobility tyre repair kit and tyre was inflated to its normal pressure. I have driven the wanderer for two days now covering 50kms and there is no drop in air pressure on same tyre. Visually, I couldn't find any nails or sharp object. Repair kit mentions the tyre can be driven till 200km after repair.

Now the question is, since tyre pressure has been retained for last two days, will the tyre puncture repair shop still be able to find root cause of flat tyre except that they find some object stuck in tyre. If yes then how? If no, is it safe to keep on driving past 200km as stipulated by Tata's tyre repair kit? If someone has already gone through this, the help would be much appreciated.

One more scenario I could think off is someone deflated the tyre and I should have inflated the tyre without using tyre sealant solution to check if it's really punctured, which I obviously didn't think off.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th September 2022 at 06:46. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
negi15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 20:30   #2317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by negi15 View Post
Congratulations and welcome to group! I did similar jump from Scorpio N Z8L D to Safari Dark XZA+ in July 22 itself. Decision was made in a week and I had Black beast with me even before Scorpio N booking started. So far, I am really happy with my decision. Do go for detailed PDI of vehicle before making balance payment to dealer.
My Max financing is via Bank SBI who usually dispatch on applicants request only.

PDI anything specific that I should check. As off now given Safari thread inputs following are my add ons to Std PDI checklist.

1) Rubber Weather Sealant Check on all Doors and boot
2) ICE HU Software Version
3) Wireless android Auto & Apple Car play
4) ODO Reading at PDI and then at Delivery as the Vehicle will go for HSRP fitment.
5) Engine Bay Plastic Cracks on headlight Units
6) Window Panel fittings
7) Rear Boot Panel Gap fitting
8) Wheel Arc Fitment

6-8 are from your PDI Observations. Others also feel free to append.
Old 13th September 2022, 21:38   #2318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskandariya View Post
My Max financing is via Bank SBI who usually dispatch on applicants request only.

PDI anything specific that I should check. As off now given Safari thread inputs following are my add ons to Std PDI checklist.

1) Rubber Weather Sealant Check on all Doors and boot
2) ICE HU Software Version
3) Wireless android Auto & Apple Car play
4) ODO Reading at PDI and then at Delivery as the Vehicle will go for HSRP fitment.
5) Engine Bay Plastic Cracks on headlight Units
6) Window Panel fittings
7) Rear Boot Panel Gap fitting
8) Wheel Arc Fitment

6-8 are from your PDI Observations. Others also feel free to append.
For 6,8, they will not be fixed right now and currently mentioned as Safari's characteristic by Tata Motors.They will even show this to you on showroom display vehicle. However, I was told at SC that it may get resolved around October, November timeframe when the vendor responsible for this poor quality will be changed by Tata Motors. They did mention that they changed it for few vehicles, but the result was same as material was from existing vendor.

For 7, check if boot open warning still shows up on closing it normally during PDI. If yes, it is minor fix and can be done before delivery. I couldn't check it during PDI due to huge slush behind the vehicle.

Also do check all row seats for gap between frame and fabric. I did not check it during PDI as it has plastic coverings and had to get it done by raising through Tata Motors.

Also check for uniform bonnet panel gap on both sides.

Regarding #4, in Maharashtra all the RTO formalities are authorised to dealers. So, vehicle does not go anywhere. Even HSRP plates are arranged by dealer directly from its contractor. Only kms run at delivery time should include distance from stockyard to workshop and finally the showroom. If it is more, do enquire the reason at time of delivery.

Last one will be driver side door sitting flush. In my case, it behaved differently to remaining doors and had to be forcefully shut twice. Had to be resolved during first service.

In case, you find some more issues at time of delivery, do capture it in their delivery note during delivery day to keep a record of same to raise it later with Tata Motors

Apart from above team bhp standard PDI checklist captures all important items.
https://www.team-bhp.com/advice/pre-...pdi-check-list

All the best and do post your experience with few snaps of your beast!
negi15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 14:14   #2319
BHPian

Any one has Spare Part Catalogs for Tata Safari , I use to make do from Boodmo but they are being unethical hiding Part Numbers, masking them up for a cost. I might as well spend fuel and goto Service Station.
iskandariya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 15:35   #2320
BHPian

Hello All,

I got my Safari XZA+ Dark Edition in Mid August from Siliguri, West Bengal.

On the way back from the showroom, the Apple Car play started hanging and the Music system started switching off from time to time.

Then there was occasional rattling noises from below the steering column and by 1,000 kms, vibrations on the gear lever and grinding noise below near the front left wheel.

Completed 1,400 kms- now the grinding, clanking noises were getting alarmingly loud- and took it to the service center for 1st servicing and they found that one of the bolts holding the gearbox to the gearbox mounting on the chassis had come off. They tried to screw it back but apparently the threads on the aluminum casing had slipped and there was nothing they could do about it.

They assured me they'll order a new Gearbox casing and Gear oil (Lifetime oil for Automatic Gearboxes -not changed during any service- hence the dealerships don't stock it)- tied the bolt with wires and sent me on my way.

Travelled back 120 kms of badly beaten roads back to my Hometown in Gangtok and that damn bolt came off halfway and had to stop at a local workshop en route, in pouring rain at night to shove it back and gingerly tiptoed my way back home.

Been screaming at them over the phone ever since and now they're promising to replace my entire gearbox with a new one and it's due to arrive "soon"..

A suggestion to my fellow Tata Owners, If your veh breaks down like mine, it helps if you keep screaming "I should have listened to my head and bought a Toyota INNOVA" to whoever's listening in the showroom gets them pretty pissed and they start attending to your problems. Plus the usual promise of Chai Pani to the service Advisor, Workshop manager and the technicians in the hope that they get their rear ends moving on your case.

Oh Good thing is they updated the software on my system so I can listen to my music once more. Groovy!

Now my fancy Black Safari Top End Automatic with Panoramic sunroof and cooled seats is parked at home. I occasionally start it and sit inside, put on the AC and listen to my music. My entire extended khandaan is making fun of me as I sit counting the EMIs I'm paying the bank and quietly weep on the ridiculously large steering wheel.

Got a call this morning and a pretty, young voice cheerfully congratulating me on my purchase of the "Beast" and asking me to rate the Service! " IF I HAD LISTENED TO MY....."
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 15:54   #2321
BHPian

Just like the Nexon, now the Safari too gets the sunroof in lower new variants - XMS & XMAS.

2021 Tata Safari Review-fb_img_1663323736094.jpg
Knightrider is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 16:29   #2322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by negi15 View Post
Now the question is, since tyre pressure has been retained for last two days, will the tyre puncture repair shop still be able to find root cause of flat tyre except that they find some object stuck in tyre. If yes then how? If no, is it safe to keep on driving past 200km as stipulated by Tata's tyre repair kit? If someone has already gone through this, the help would be much appreciated.
The tyre is not deflating since you used the tyre sealant. Take it to a good tyre shop near you and get the tyre removed and examined. This is what it says in the manual. I think post 200 kms, the tyre pressure will not hold.
Old 16th September 2022, 17:13   #2323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_dominator View Post
The tyre is not deflating since you used the tyre sealant. Take it to a good tyre shop near you and get the tyre removed and examined. This is what it says in the manual. I think post 200 kms, the tyre pressure will not hold.
Thanks. I have already crossed 200kms. I checked with SA who got my car seat issue resolved on escalation regarding this. He mentioned that if its already a week and tyre is not loosing pressure and there were no nails or external object found on tyre, it can be used without any issues. Will keep a watch and share update on this issue.
negi15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 21:58   #2324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
Hello All,

I got my Safari XZA+ Dark Edition in Mid August from Siliguri, West Bengal.

On the way back from the showroom, the Apple Car play started hanging and the Music system started switching off from time to time.

Then there was occasional rattling noises from below the steering column and by 1,000 kms, vibrations on the gear lever and grinding noise below near the front left wheel.

Completed 1,400 kms- now the grinding, clanking noises were getting alarmingly loud- and took it to the service center for 1st servicing and they found that one of the bolts holding the gearbox to the gearbox mounting on the chassis had come off. They tried to screw it back but apparently the threads on the aluminum casing had slipped and there was nothing they could do about it.

They assured me they'll order a new Gearbox casing and Gear oil (Lifetime oil for Automatic Gearboxes -not changed during any service- hence the dealerships don't stock it)- tied the bolt with wires and sent me on my way.
I am pretty sure they have not heard of Loctite 638 or any such similar products. If you have a good mechanic nearby, get the screw Fixed.

Actually there are 2 options
1) Rethreading - 1 Size bigger than present thread, you won’t need to change the casting - Service Center should have given you this option and performed it.

It is pretty easy need expert hands, powerful high torque low speed (in our Terms 4L) drill with thread maker head. 5Mins job of Threading, pre and post prep time might vary depending on the accessibility of the Bolt.

Suggesting this as to why get the Casing opened and reinstalled. If your service centre is not skilled.

2) Apply Thread Sealant , also known as Joint Weld solutions in technical terms. 1 example is above.

This is my Mseal Solution which might last till your Casing arrives or till you own the vehicle.

Reason for it back when we had Esteem we scraped its fuel tank between Nashik Saputara and in middle of no where, Fuel Pump attendant applied Mseal which lasted till we owned the Vehicle. Alternate was either to Replace the Tank or to empty it take it off and Weld the hold; Mseal did a better job.

Disclaimer:-
Attempt with your own sound judgement and Risk taking ability.
iskandariya is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 22:17   #2325
BHPian

Thank you. I considered both of the options but the service centre people told me that If I put a bigger bolt and spoiled the existing thread, my warranty claim would not be honoured by Tata.

This morning I called them up to ask if I could use araldite to fix the bolt as I have to travel back to Siliguri when (if) my gearbox arrives and I was refused.

It's really frustrating.
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed