Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2023, 09:10   #2476

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Would like to share my story how I shortlisted Tata Safari Red Dark Edition and cancelled the XUV700 AX7 L.

I was happy with 2015 bought Volkswagen Polo 1.5 TDI Highline(as much i know still the best hatchback for front row and driving pleasure) and not following the market in recent times. When we started looking for second car(SUV) in January 2023, the market scenario came as a surprise for me. Prices have been skyrocketed and options are not many. I even thought of dropping the idea of second car due to overpriced SUV market. Still pinching myself for paying 30L for Tata and Mahindra car. I am proud that Indian cars are the best in segment and doing well, however never dreamt of paying the premium this much.

My dream SUV was Ford endeavor which is not available, when I can afford.

My list of web shortlisted SUVs are few like Tata Harrier, XUV700 and Tata Safari. Other models like Jeep compass, Alcazar, Seltos didn't make the cut purely on basis of looks.

During my test drive, I felt XUV700 is a generation ahead in terms of loaded features, wherein harrier/safari is looking more masculine the way I like. When i bought my first car, I paid more attention to driving comfort and safety, less on gimmicks. I am happy with my decision to buy polo over I20 elite.

XUV700 is too good for the features, engine power, value for money. I booked it on February 2023 with hope sometime in Nov/Dec will get hold this car.

Then came the official announcement of safari/harrier 2023 launch with ADAS and improved infotainment system. I went ahead and booked the vehicle on the first day with the mindset of decide later and ready for cancellation charges by either Tata or Mahindra.
New safari looked the same from exterior and my 4 year daughter liked the red seats so booked the Dark red variant.

Why I choose to get Safari and cancelled XUV700
Top reasons in order
1. Red seats for my daughter's iking (sounds unreal, but we all do for family)
2. Delivery by end of March 2023, i am a kind of person who wants to get hold of things as soon as possible.
3. Masculine SUV Looks
4. Better third row seats, even though it may not be used frequently. However, dreamt of taking my entire family whenever I go toy hometown
5. Almost all features are added to the new edition except Adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist, so features wise Gap has narrowed between Safari and XUV700
6. Liked the useful features like ventilated seats, auto dimming IRVM
Finally cancelled my XUV700 booking to avoid further dilemma in checking on XUV700. Waiting for safari delivery.
R_D_S_7 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 10:06   #2477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_D_S_7 View Post
Would like to share my story how I shortlisted Tata Safari Red Dark Edition and cancelled the XUV700 AX7 L.

I was happy with 2015 bought Volkswagen Polo 1.5 TDI Highline(as much i know still the best hatchback for front row and driving pleasure) and not following the market in recent times. When we started looking for second car(SUV) in January 2023, the market scenario came as a surprise for me. Prices have been skyrocketed and options are not many. I even thought of dropping the idea of second car due to overpriced SUV market. Still pinching myself for paying 30L for Tata and Mahindra car. I am proud that Indian cars are the best in segment and doing well, however never dreamt of paying the premium this much.

My dream SUV was Ford endeavor which is not available, when I can afford.

My list of web shortlisted SUVs are few like Tata Harrier, XUV700 and Tata Safari. Other models like Jeep compass, Alcazar, Seltos didn't make the cut purely on basis of looks.

During my test drive, I felt XUV700 is a generation ahead in terms of loaded features, wherein harrier/safari is looking more masculine the way I like. When i bought my first car, I paid more attention to driving comfort and safety, less on gimmicks. I am happy with my decision to buy polo over I20 elite.

XUV700 is too good for the features, engine power, value for money. I booked it on February 2023 with hope sometime in Nov/Dec will get hold this car.

Then came the official announcement of safari/harrier 2023 launch with ADAS and improved infotainment system. I went ahead and booked the vehicle on the first day with the mindset of decide later and ready for cancellation charges by either Tata or Mahindra.
New safari looked the same from exterior and my 4 year daughter liked the red seats so booked the Dark red variant.

Why I choose to get Safari and cancelled XUV700
Top reasons in order
1. Red seats for my daughter's iking (sounds unreal, but we all do for family)
2. Delivery by end of March 2023, i am a kind of person who wants to get hold of things as soon as possible.
3. Masculine SUV Looks
4. Better third row seats, even though it may not be used frequently. However, dreamt of taking my entire family whenever I go toy hometown
5. Almost all features are added to the new edition except Adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist, so features wise Gap has narrowed between Safari and XUV700
6. Liked the useful features like ventilated seats, auto dimming IRVM
Finally cancelled my XUV700 booking to avoid further dilemma in checking on XUV700. Waiting for safari delivery.
Congratulations buddy! Even I am in the same boat and trying to finalize between XUV7OO or Safari. I think end of the day, it all boils down to the waiting period. 11 months is a long wait for a car IMO, I believe maximum 3 months should be the waiting period.

I am hoping for the Safari facelift to be launched soon, which might help me seal my decision.
Old 21st March 2023, 21:25   #2478

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Congratulations buddy! Even I am in the same boat and trying to finalize between XUV7OO or Safari. I think end of the day, it all boils down to the waiting period. 11 months is a long wait for a car IMO, I believe maximum 3 months should be the waiting period.

I am hoping for the Safari facelift to be launched soon, which might help me seal my decision.
Not sure about safari facelift till the end of 2023, by the time XUV700 will be available with less waiting period and additional features.

You may do multiple test drives of the safari and decide with full conviction
R_D_S_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 22:11   #2479
BHPian

Quote:
"What you see today is the facelift. There is no other facelift coming up" were the words from the sales advisor I spoke to couple of days ago.

Do we still see any more Safari/Harrier test mules ? I do not think so.
Old 23rd March 2023, 22:25   #2480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r24x7 View Post
"What you see today is the facelift. There is no other facelift coming up" were the words from the sales advisor I spoke to couple of days ago.

Do we still see any more Safari/Harrier test mules ? I do not think so.
SA’s always say that, we have been seeing test mules with new LED headlamps and few other features which will be added. Current ones are the last set of variants with new features, which are being used to test it out with customers. If there was no facelift on the cards, why would Tata stop Kaziranga & Jet editions, especially Jet edition was launched very recently, if i am not wrong.

I am planning to wait till end of April to see, if they come up with a facelift. I’m thinking they might showcase something during IPL.
fusionbang is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 20:30   #2481
BHPian

Saw this rear bumper for Safari in a mall in Chennai. Can someone point to the dealer/workshop installing these?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Tata Safari Review-safari_rear_bumper.jpg  

Old 27th March 2023, 21:55   #2482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLurkerForLong View Post
Saw this rear bumper for Safari in a mall in Chennai. Can someone point to the dealer/workshop installing these?

Thanks in advance.
that’s the First I have seen on a Safari, but why do you want it ?

Is the Traffic that bad in your area; aren’t they MVA’89 violation.
iskandariya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 11:21   #2483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskandariya View Post
that’s the First I have seen on a Safari, but why do you want it ?

Is the Traffic that bad in your area; aren’t they MVA’89 violation.
I am not sure about the MVA'89. But I am always worried about the bikers and tata ace, who always drive so close for concern
Old 28th March 2023, 13:36   #2484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLurkerForLong View Post
I am not sure about the MVA'89. But I am always worried about the bikers and tata ace, who always drive so close for concern
These might also impact the functioning of the rear parking sensors as from the picture they seem almost at the same level.
zadoom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 13:10   #2485

I shared my story of how i bought Tata Safari Red Dark Edition earlier. One thing i noticed is the split up of exshowroom process and taxes in the final bill. As per government guidelines, a vehicle fulfilling below criterias should be charged 28%GST+22%Cess. However, my invoice is having split up of 28%GST and 20% CESS, means safari is not meeting one of the criteria

1. Diesel car- safari only comes with diesel - fulfills the criteria
2. Engine capacity of more than 1,500cc - specifications mention as 1956 cc- fulfills the criteria
3. length of over 4,000mm - specification mention length as 4661mm - fulfills the criteria
4. ground clearance of 200mm and above - I could not find this information anywhere officially fro. Tata motors, third party sites mention 205mm - not sure

My question is, if tata motors charging only 48% as GST +Cess, instead of 50%, means safari is not fulfilling one of the criteria. From the above analysis, only ground clearance is not officially mentioned, that means safari has less ground clearance<200mm, if so, are we getting cheated in the name of big SUV, is it industry norm, what about XUV700, could someone clarify. Thanks.
Old 30th March 2023, 18:39   #2486
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks,

I am happy to inform that I went ahead and booked the 2023 Tata Safari Adventure persona edition - XZA+(O) in Orcus white. Fellow owners, does any of you have a PDI checklist specific to Safari? I have been told, I should get the car within a month of booking, hence would like to be prepared.

Also, any inputs on where to get the insurance from outside would be helpful too.

Hope the buying experience is smooth, else I might change my mind towards the competition

Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd April 2023, 09:00   #2487
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks, quick question on insurance for Tata Safari - Any inputs on which company to buy from? I am looking for:

1) Ease and speed of cashless claim with good settlement ratio (the obvious one)
2) Zero Dep cover eligibility for long time (more than 5 years) - I generally keep my vehicles for long duration
3) No Geography boundaries - Should cover all of India at the minimum

Any other things to take care while getting insurance ?

Cost is not much of an issue as I need a comprehensive cover with all add-ons.

My dealer is recommending Edelweiss, but not sure on that. Talked to various owners, people are suggesting Tata AIG, Bajaj Allianz, Acko, HDFC Ergo, ICICI Lombard (basically all have it different). My current one is Royal Sundaram which provides long term zero dep (working for last 9+ years)
Old 3rd April 2023, 09:50   #2488
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks,

I am happy to inform that I went ahead and booked the 2023 Tata Safari Adventure persona edition - XZA+(O) in Orcus white. Fellow owners, does any of you have a PDI checklist specific to Safari? I have been told, I should get the car within a month of booking, hence would like to be prepared.
Team-bhp PDI checklist is comprehensive. In addition, specific to Safari XZA+ lookout for following,
  • Sunroof operation.
  • Electronic seat adjustment button.
  • Auto hold and EPB
  • Ventilated seat working. The cooling effect should be immediate.
  • Tail gate operation and locking. In my case the tail gate took 3-4 attempts. During PDI it cannot be fixed. Do inform the salesperson about it in case of issue. After closing the tail gate try locking the car with key fob and it should not show any door open warning on display (speedometer console)
  • Take a USB charger cable and test each charging port.
  • Wireless charger - Place phone on the charging pad. Borrow someone else's phone just to test it out in case your phone does not have this capability.
  • Try android auto/apple connect. Apparently in my android auto, maps work only in wired mode. Make and receive a call through car steering controls.
  • Any play in the gear lever. Gear lever in my XZA+ has a little side to side play(Other than M mode). Not sure whether it’s built that way or needs correction. Will bring this up in my first service due next Saturday.
  • In my case even after shutting down the AC, the last row AC vents keep blowing air. Again, not sure this is issue or a feature. Do check AC operations. My Safari shows weird behaviour, this morning after cranking up the car all AC controls were shown off, however, the AC blowers were blasting air. Switched AC on and off and it stayed that way.
  • DPF/DEF levels
  • Rear wiper - During my PDI the water jet was more like a trickle, the nozzle has some debris that were cleared.
  • Reverse camera - Specifically in my variant XZA+ January model, I think I saw a delay timer option for camera in settings. Set it to no delay and observe. There are also, normal, and wide-angle settings, do check them. Not sure all these things are changed in XZA+(O) variant.
  • Audio settings - It has a crosshair to adjust speaker in use, try all four quadrants.
  • FM radio - To make sure FM antenna is working properly.
IAmGroot is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 12:05   #2489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmGroot View Post
Team-bhp PDI checklist is comprehensive. In addition, specific to Safari XZA+ lookout for following
Thanks buddy, this is really helpful. Hope my car is allotted soon and get the delivery ASAP. Can't resist to get my hands on the beast
Old 8th April 2023, 22:17   #2490
BHPian

Got first servicing done for my XZA+ Adv. There were issues with boot door locking and front right suspension that were resolved.
In addition, topped up DEF and software of entertainment screen updated to 18.50.

One issue remains, every time I crank up my vehicle, I get a fault in ira app, “Malfunction suspected in particular item in your car. Please contact nearest Tata Service centre”. The service advisor said it was issue with ira app rather than the car. Anyone getting this error?
With advent of gadgets and gizmos I think we will always have some glitch in the system and we have to live with it. Kind of Minimum Equipment List concept in aviation.

Also, got clarification on 3rd row AC operation. Even if AC and blower is set to off from central console, the AC vents will still operate in blower mode unless turned off with its own knob on RH side 3rd row seat.

I also was facing issue with Android auto. It won’t connect in wireless mode. Mostly my phone(Samsung A70) might not be compatible. The service advisor was able to connect wirelessly using his apple phone. I need to try someone else’s Android phone to troubleshoot further.

To balance out complaints with some positives, the car rides very well, based on my 1300 KM so far. Mostly did highway runs with occasional city use. Took time adjusting to the size of vehicle and needed some change of habits. I come from i20 petrol, an agile car with very good response. Safari compared to i20 is not very quick of the blocks. Of course sports mode is truly agile. On my highway run, for a quick overtake I used to shift to M mode. Somehow I found moving to M more intuitive than pressing sports mode button on centre console.

Then comes braking, Safari is a locomotive. Be cautious to not tailgate, the travel for brake pedal is longer, that fraction of second you feel you are not in control. Got used to it.
IAmGroot is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks