Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2021, 10:14   #16
BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Open usb ports near cup holder will definately see liqiud spilling into them one day. Instead of providing them on the lower horizontal surface, it should have been provided on the side wall, some distance away from cup holders. I can even say that all electrical connections should alaways be on the side verticle surface and should never be on the horizontal surface.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Tata Safari Review-www.teambhp.com_2021tatasafari42.jpg  

Dr.Abhi is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 10:15   #17
BHPian

Excellent Review
Kudos to TBHP Team for the detailed observations.

Rating it 5 Stars !

Hats Off to Tata for a great product.
But Tata has a reputation, as GTO said, it is always best to buy a Tata car after an year of launch, until then the niggles will be ironed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
We feel that a tailgate-mounted spare wheel should definitely have been provided on the '21 Safari. Would've added to that butch look and been an awesome differentiator from the Harrier. If the EcoSport can do it, why not the Safari?
Fully agree with a tailgate-mounted spare wheel . This would have lifted the whole appeal of the car to the next level.

The Reviews Embargo has been lifted.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st February 2021 at 13:00. Reason: Let us please stick to our review and the responses. Thanks.
JS Kwt is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 10:18   #18
BHPian

As always, thank you for a stellar thread. Important information about one of the few important launches of this year.

As a potential buyer, I am most put off by the lower GC when compared to even the Harrier, the bumpier ride and perhaps, most of all, of course, the absence of AWD. And this is even before they have released the pricing... I am really hoping that I wouldn't have to add the pricing too as a factor that doesn't sit well with me.

But yes, the looks, oh the looks, man. Tata is definitely benefiting from their other brands. The way the looks have matured is indeed quite heartening to see... and so has the pricing matured, but that's a different matter altogether.

Of course, before anyone else says, "THIS IS NOT A TRUE-BLOOD SAFARI!", let's just say bygones are bygones. We have had Blackberry phones without keyboards, Nokia phones that aren't as bulletproof as the old 3310s and other related stuff. All I am hoping is that we give this product a fair chance, detach it from the legacy of the name and think of it as the Generation Z of a very famous family.

I for one, really think that this deserves an unbiased appraisal, especially if you are looking for a 7 seater, long distance muncher, which is (hopefully) in the sub-30 lakh region.
kung_foo_fanta is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 10:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

Great review! I absolutely love the way it looks and its one of the rarer car's that seems to carry off dark shade like the test car's blue and a light shade like a white equally well. This to me is the best looking car this side of 30 lakhs and the interiors looks really classy and premium too. I am being honest, I would take this over Hyundai Tuscon any which day. Its larger, has an engine with almost similar power and torque, has two more seats, looks better and is comprehensively cheaper. This is a car Tata should be proud of.

P.S. I wonder if Tata is looking to export this to other right hand drive markets like Australia. This would do really well here at the price and the 7 seats will be a USP.
extreme_torque is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 10:27   #20
BHPian

Thanks for the super review guys!

A few issues which I can't for the life of me figure out as to why Tata didn't work on:

- A bigger infotainment screen. Why the same as a Harrier? Two years should've been more than enough to source a bigger/better one.
- Ground clearance. Why only ~145mm? It'll scrape the bottom with 5-6 adults.
- Suspension. Why couldn't Tata just hand over the Hexa design to Lotus and ask them to replicate it for the Safari? I know monocoque vs body on frame and all, but given that the Hexa is the benchmark it is absurd to not have the same level of comfort on the Safari.
- Rear sunblinds. Again why couldn't they go to the supplier that provided them for the Hexa and source the same part? Boss mode is useless when you have the sun beating down on you from those huge windows. No boss would like to be seen with after-market suction cup screens worth Rs.500 that were bought at a traffic signal.
- Why no semi-tumble captain seats as in the Hexa? How hard would it be to just replicate the Hexa captain seat design??

I am quite bewildered that Tata has chosen to ignore some of these critical points. It is not like they had to develop these from the ground up. They already have these in their portfolio. Either it is laziness or that the Safari development team didn't ever sit down and take notes from their Hexa counterparts.

Last edited by yd_gli : 1st February 2021 at 10:32.
yd_gli is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 10:27   #21
BHPian

This one is a mild offroading test by bunny Punia
aansh singhania is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 10:42   #22
BHPian

Is the boot space (with 3 rows up) lesser than XUV500? Also, does the 2nd row bench seat offer recline and ability to move forward/backward?
Old 1st February 2021, 10:48   #23
Senior - BHPian

So far So good. It's the pricing that everyone wants to know now and how long TML will stick with the introductory prices.

@ Aditya, thank you as always.

Did other members of Team Bhp also experience the Safari/will there be more inputs on the experience?
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 10:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

Great car Tata, thanks for getting Safari back to all it's fans. Car looks fantastic and muscular from every angles. I am sure this car will get lots of success. Price it very aggressively Tata, 1 Lakh over Harrier is a good price for me. Only disappointment is the boot space. With all rows up, ideally Tata should have managed around 250 Liters of boot space at least, it would have made car complete.

All the best Tata. I have already started saving for this car
Old 1st February 2021, 10:54   #25
BHPian

Lovely review and coverage.

Tatas know how to design good looking cars. Period.

The 2021 Safari looks awesome. Both inside and out. Esp. those interiors look totally dope.

If I have to crib, here are my 2 points:
1. wish it was taller
2. wish the front was a bit more squarish/boxy rather than curvy

Most likely I won't buy this generation of Safari, since I intend to run my 2018 Storme for 10 years, by which time this new Safari will probably be giving way to a whole new model. Probably even fully EV (who knows) !!!

cheers
lazy

Last edited by lazy : 1st February 2021 at 11:12.
lazy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 10:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnt View Post
Is the boot space (with 3 rows up) lesser than XUV500? Also, does the 2nd row bench seat offer recline and ability to move forward/backward?
Yes, the boot space is marginally lesser than XUV500 - 93L vs 73L

And yes, the review clearly shows the sliding options for the 2nd row seats along with the knee room available in the 3rd row seats under the minimum and maximum scenarios.
Old 1st February 2021, 11:05   #27
BHPian

Great review!!! just as expected from Team-BHP but what betters it is that from the past few times it comes out as early just as the other media reviews so would really help the buyer's take a more informed judgement.

Quote:

Lower variants get 16" alloy wheels with 235/70 section tyres which will offer superior ride comfort and are overall more practical for India:
MODS Kindly edit this as the Safari only comes with 16 inchers in variants without the alloy wheels or rather stylized steel wheels as Tata calls them.

Since, many people refer to these reviews as the Bible in their car buying process we should ensure no wrong information is passed to them.

2021 Tata Safari Review-screenshot-20210201-11.03.26.png

Last edited by sv97 : 1st February 2021 at 11:23.
sv97 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 11:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors will begin accepting bookings for the Tata Safari from February 4, 2021. Customers can pre-book at authorised dealerships across the country with a token amount of Rs. 30,000.

2021 Tata Safari Review-20210201_111650.jpg

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 11:20   #29
BHPian

THanks for the amazing review!! Rating 5 stars . I was looking for feedback on the drivability, handling and performance parameters. Performance in city and highway seems to be good, but disappointed with the steering heaviness at slow speeds. This i think Tata should fix before Safari rolls-out to customers. Definitely a tad disappointed with the ride comfortness. I sure did expect it to match/better Hexa ride. If comfort, stability and handling isn't great, What exactly does the OmegaArc platform bring to the table?
Correct me if I am missing something here.

Happy to know that the AT is mated properly. I recently drove a Jeep compass AT and was very unhappy with the Gear shifts. Huge rubber band effect during shifts/acceleration. You need to plan a minute before you want to overtake someone in Compass.

In Summary, for something that could very well be a 25+ lakhs car, it seems few things still needs to be sorted. Tata has to get their pricing attractive for someone to overlook these short comings. Very soon new XUV will be in the market to compete. Will wait for that before making a decision.
r0ckstar.1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 11:35   #30
BHPian

Thanks for the great review!

Quote:
We feel that a tailgate-mounted spare wheel should definitely have been provided on the '21 Safari. Would've added to that butch look and been an awesome differentiator from the Harrier. If the EcoSport can do it, why not the Safari?
Absolutely right! Just echoed my wish! It would have made the Safari look really awesome, more connected to the original Safari’s looks & simultaneously differentiating it properly from Harrier!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks