Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2021, 15:10   #466
BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Tata is continuing to test the Safari even after the launch. Was spotted by a Team-BHPian as well as a Rushlane Spylane Facebook group member a couple of days ago. Any possibility of a petrol engine/AWD? Attaching pictures:

Credit:Rushlane Spylane

Also, this is my first post. Please edit if there are any mistakes. Great to be a member of this forum!
2021 Tata Safari Review-fb_img_1614591517930.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-fb_img_1614591515318.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 1st March 2021 at 19:43. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
udaikalra01 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 15:14   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelDmello View Post
I tested XZA+ seven seater Safari today. Both 3rd row and 2nd row fold flat. this was one of my requirements and i had seen this happening in XUV500.
I think what padmrajravi meant was do they fold fully flat in to the floor. I think they don't or did I miss something in the TD
ankur_fox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 15:58   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
I had a white ZXA+ booking which I changed to Adventure Persona ZXA+, and expecting delivery next week. So decided to see the car in person before putting money down.
Quick question: Is the Adventure Persona edition available in XZA trim or is it available only in the XZA+ trim (with sun roof)?
Old 1st March 2021, 16:02   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelDmello View Post
I tested XZA+ seven seater Safari today. Both 3rd row and 2nd row fold flat. this was one of my requirements and i had seen this happening in XUV500.
In one of the pictures in the official review, I felt there was a slight inclination. Hence the question. TML now has almost 10 years of experience in manufacturing 7 seater MPVs. So I hope they have figured out how to achieve that fully flat third row by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_fox View Post
No they do not and the incline is very visible. You can feel the lost litres of luggage space

However, if it would be a 6 seater, there's some space in between the captain seats to compensate for this. The 7 seaters aren't so lucky.
It also increases the effort in pushing heavy luggage over the small ramp, especially in case of airport runs where you have big suitcases. No big deal other than the slight discomfort though.
padmrajravi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 16:07   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
It also increases the effort in pushing heavy luggage over the small ramp, especially in case of airport runs where you have big suitcases. No big deal other than the slight discomfort though.
Not to mention that the competition has already perfected it, still a minor inconvenience the car has loads going for it then against it I feel
ankur_fox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 16:20   #471
BHPian

Thanks for replying Mu009. Nice to see you , been a while since you've written anything here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post

I would never purchase anything with so much glossy piano black plastic.
Hold it right there. Isn't the exterior black matte black ?
? I hate piano black even inside the car so outside is a no go. Who puts glossy black bits on the outside anyway? Need to check this out in flesh.

Quote:
Beige is a pain. Gotta agree with the gent who said that. But white won't be only slightly more of a pain. It'll require more frequent, and harder scrubbing. In essence though, if you can maintain beige, you can maintain white. Moreover, it's not like if you won't maintain white, you'll be able to maintain beige. So just pick depending on what you'd like. Between the Tata beige and the Tata
I like the white, I would pick the white. More airy, more premium and makes you go wow if well maintained and scrubbed as soon as you step into the cabin.

Quote:
Visit a showroom and decide with family (though I expect you might have trouble being able to see all versions in the flesh at your current location, which is where your analysis-paralysis state stems from, if I may be so presumptuous).
Thanks for the understanding. Your assumption is correct.Present exotic location comes with its share of inconveniences.

Quote:
In summary, in my book, the only thing going for the "Adventure" version is the unique-ish exterior paint job.
I don't think its unique to the adventure model, it can be had as an option colour in other variants with white interiors as well. So the question, if I can get best of both worlds by getting the XZA+ tropical mist with white interiors and aftermarket MATTE black the exterior bits.

Quote:
Better yet, wait for Harrier facelift, maybe? Or maybe go for something entirely different
?

Harrier is not for me. Never was. Neither was the Gravitas.
The Endeavour 3.2 as you, of all people, know was for me. But the Endeavour 2.0 is moving north of the price ladder slow and steady and spews out similar figures to the FCA /Kryotec 170. Its still remains a more suitable alternative to my needs but somehow doesn't do the magic that was the 3.2 . Frankly if it were any nearer to my reach I would've still grabbed it. The only solution that remains is a pre loved 3.2 which is as elusive as the Lochness monster.

The Darien Gap still remains wide open. So glaringly open that I even romanced the idea of getting a good bargain off an Alturas G4 because with SsangYong bust discounts it was the closest player in the Gap. Sense prevailed.

This new Tata vehicle comes into play because , well, it's now a Safari, and we Safari folk are obsessed with that nameplate beyond our otherwise logical and superlative wisdom. I know I should be wiser and see beyond the plate, but then, err. you well know the Darien Gap and this is perhaps the only considerable offering within the gap as of today. The addition of an AWD to this Adventure Edition (I refuse to call it Persona or anything else that sounds cheeky) would've made it a no brainer for me because Safari or not, it's still a solid combination of a 7seater with good third row, smooth Hyundai Autobox and a proven FCA motor.

Quote:
Hope that helps. Seriously, skip the piano black though - otherwise you'll always remember me whenever you sit in your car any time after the first 6 months
If it's indeed piano black then I'll remember you and skip.

As of now , I'll wait. Till I can get my hands on one for a real TD. Probably give some time towards the inevitable Tata refresh amd initial batch niggles to blow over and keep looking out for 3.2 preworshipped.

Thanks.

OT : Point me to your expedition diaries if you've penned anything anywhere.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 19:36   #472
BHPian

Test drove the Safari yesterday. Came out a feeling a bit underwhelmed. Had driven Hector CVT just before trying out the Safari. There still are ergonomic issues to be resolved in the Safari. Taller people will have their knee touching the dashboard. My brother ended up hitting his knee with the steering column under support during egress.

Felt the steering was a bit heavy for my liking. Maybe because the Hector's steering was very light to compare with. The interior quality has been upped quite a lot by Tata and kudos to them to constantly work on it. Still, its a far cry from hector which we sat in just 20 mins prior to it and felt way more premium at a lesser cost.

We dropped the Safari from our consideration set for now. Really felt sad dropping a Tata car this time around. Looks like it will be one of Hector CVT, Compass DCT or C5 Aircross for now (all different automatics, though). Waiting for test drives of Compass and C5.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st March 2021 at 19:45. Reason: Typos fixed. Upper-case.
starrys987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 21:31   #473
BHPian

Does any one have any scoop regarding GNCAP crash tests for the Safari?
It's very dubious that the company is not pursuing it as aggressively as they did for their lower priced offerings.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 22:49   #474
BHPian

Waiting period of Safari Adventure edition in Thane - Mumbai already touching 45 days. Told by the SA.

Has Tata released bookings numbers? I am sure would be a pretty healthy number.
Old 1st March 2021, 23:00   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulhas.ahirrao View Post
Waiting period of Safari Adventure edition in Thane - Mumbai already touching 45 days. Told by the SA.

Has Tata released bookings numbers? I am sure would be a pretty healthy number.
Tata doesn't do this for some reason. They have previously been critical of such announcements.

Mahindra are on the other extreme, they take a lot of pride in their booking numbers and waiting periods. In the case of a product like the Thar it works, but such announcements for the likes of Marazzo, xuv300, kuv etc.. have backfired!
Old 2nd March 2021, 10:13   #476
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Viswanadh for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
I would like to share the pictures that I have clicked of the Tata Safari in tropical mist colour. I have cleared all my doubts about this colour and decided to book the same. I am sharing here as these pictures can reach wider audience.
2021 Tata Safari Review-20210228_105549.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-20210228_110141.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-20210228_110149.jpg
blackwasp is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 10:31   #477
BHPian

This tropical mist blue reminds me of the Fox Trot Azure I had on my Linea. I haven't seen the Safari and this color in person, but the pictures show that that is the closest we have had here. Can someone who has seen the car in person comment on that please?

Linea used to look fantastic in that color with a dark background and I am pretty sure same is the case with the Safari.
P.S: I also remember SX4 had a somewhat similar shade too, but being a bulkier car, it never looked appealing to me.

Last edited by prakash_ajp : 2nd March 2021 at 10:32. Reason: adding more
prakash_ajp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 10:56   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
This tropical mist blue reminds me of the Fox Trot Azure I had on my Linea. Can someone who has seen the car in person comment on that please?
To me atleast under the showroom lights, the colour on Safari looked similar but more metallic and reflective compared to Linea and SX4's satin finish. With black details instead of chrome and with black alloys, it does look really good.
However IMO it feels too Metro persona rather than Adventure persona A more suitable color choice for the variant would have been Camo or black instead of tropical mist.
CoffeeBeans is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 11:49   #479
BHPian

I stopped by at the showroom in Pimpri,Pune to have a look at the Safari. My wife and dad tagged along as well to ensure I don't end up booking it on a whim! Here are my observations:

- Cars usually tend to look bigger on the showroom floor than on the road. For some reason, the Safari just didn't have that imposing look in the showroom. The first thing my wife said "this isn't as big as its made out to be". I don't think it will have the same street presence as the earlier Safari, Scorpio, Hexa etc let alone the Fortuner, Endeavor gang.
- The fit and finish was not as good as my Hexa. Clearly TML seems to be have focused on cutting costs. The ~26L OTR does not reflect that though.
- The feel from inside is car like. The driver sits pretty low and the commanding view is not present. The rear windows are ridiculously small for an SUV. They felt even smaller than my wife's Duster.
- The stadium seating is a super. The rear passengers in my Hexa frequently complain about not having forward visibility. The Safari passengers will have no such qualms.
- The captain seats are good but they don't have the same amount of under thigh support as the Hexa. The width also seemed to be lower. No sunblinds in the rear windows is a pathetic omission from Tata. Not done!
- The dashboard, steering wheel finish is ridden with piano black. Does not look classy at all and reminded me of the XUV500 which I absolutely detest.
- The power seat adjustment button was already broken on a two week old car and I couldn't adjust the seat on my test drive. This doesn't bode well for the long term.
- The suspension is decent. Not a patch on the Hexa but will get the job done. Nothing to write home about.
- The engine is not my cup of tea. While it was refined, it just didn't feel peppy enough. The sales rep recommended the use of the sport mode. It improved things a bit but its more of a workaround. The car should've have had the sport mode as the default mode. The performance will dip even further with a fully loaded car.
- Quite a few omissions compared to the Hexa. No second row blower controls, no gas struts for the bonnet, no sunblinds, no center air vents for the second row, no separate air con for the rear passengers.
- The sunroof is a welcome addition and does make the cabin feel extremely roomy and bright.

All in all, its a decent vehicle. Would I pay ~26L for it? No. Tata took a few steps backwards from the Hexa for this I feel in terms of quality and robustness. It just didn't feel as rugged, well built or plush. For those upgrading from a hatchback or a sedan it might make sense with the additional seats and SUV stance. I might be a bit biased being a Hexa owner but given that the Safari replaces the Hexa as the top of the line product in the Tata lineup it would only make sense that Tata had improved on the Hexa rather than compromising on it.
yd_gli is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 12:14   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
In one of the pictures in the official review, I felt there was a slight inclination. Hence the question.
You are referring to this image right?
2021 Tata Safari Review-2021tatasafari46.jpg

Actually HEXA was like this. You have to remove the headrests manually to make it flat. I think in Safari they managed to make it flat without removing headrests. Hope this helps.

2021 Tata Safari Review-hexawithheadrests.jpg
2021 Tata Safari Review-hexaafterremovingheadrests.jpg

Dev
irdevanand is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks