Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2021, 15:36   #496
BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post

The 2.0 multijet transverse mounting is best suited for LHD market, since some physical left vs right asymmetry on the bottom engine/engine-allied components hits the footwell earlier than ideal and causes the RHD pedals to fracture the feet of the RHD driver. This problem doesn't apply to LHD market. --- this has been discussed in TBHP elsewhere and applies to all 2.0 MJD customers - harrier, safari, compass (india) and the MG hector - none of these india specific models are crash test safety advertised.
While the Compass LHD was tested the rating applies to RHD vehicles too. Check out the rating validity tab so not sure this is a problem with the 2.0 Multijet engine itself.

Compass NCAP rating
nainan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 19:35   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I guess TML's philosophy is the same as that of Sir Humphrey Appleby, who once famously advised Jim Hacker - "A basic rule of government is never look into anything you don't have to, and never set up an inquiry unless you know in advance what its findings will be."
A man after my own heart. Always a pleasure to read your posts sir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I am not sure of this actually. If the plastic is of high quality, it would still look great even after years of usage. I have an all black Ecosport S, wherein many parts of the car are blacked out, with almost no chrome anywhere. The car is 2.5+ years old, and those blacked out parts still look the same as they did on day 1. Kindly clarify, if I am wrong anywhere here.
I have absolutely nothing against blacked-out interiors (or exteriors for that matter). They can be thoroughly durable. My issue is specifically with piano black gloss plastic. Let me try to clarify to the best of my ability. You know what your phone screen is like, yeah? No matter how many oleophobic coatings are advertised, it has smudges all over, correct? And ever own a phone with a glass-back? Now, that's glass, and mostly good Gorilla Glass that doesn't scratch easy. But its still looks bad - smudges, reflections etc. You need to keep cleaning it. Now, if it's plastic - which happens to be much lower on Moh's scale of hardness (3 v/s 6), it gets scracthed as well. And that's where the aforementioned excrement-show begins.

Plastichrome adds to that - same problems, but also a reflective hazard when light hits it.

Can't find the short section where he really shows just how bad it can be in a 2 week old media car in some other video, so just linking to relevant starting time (7m29s) in a general video. Watch till 8m23s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
Hold it right there. Isn't the exterior black matte black ?
? I hate piano black even inside the car so outside is a no go. Who puts glossy black bits on the outside anyway? Need to check this out in flesh
A. Tata does. Look at the horrendous piece across the rear of the Altroz as the most egrigous example - adding a bonus picture of the front applique as well.
https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/202...-altroz-07.jpg
https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/202...-altroz-08.jpg

BUT, more importantly
B. No, I do not mean the exterior of the adventure edition safari - that looks matt to me. My concerns are strictly wrt the interior.

Exterior plastichrome on the Endeavour is in shambles despite the car being owned by someone who's now all but a professional detailer. Off-roading notwithstanding, it just doesn't hold up. It has a little plastichrome on the inside which is offensively glare producing, but by and large it is scratch-free in my case, barring a few dings from careless passengers' accoutrement.
The above was still kind of an aside.

My point is, the safari adeventure interior will be an omnishambles very quickly. I cannot emphasise how clear I would steer off it.
Quote:
I don't think its unique to the adventure model, it can be had as an option colour in other variants with white interiors as well. So the question, if I can get best of both worlds by getting the XZA+ tropical mist with white interiors and aftermarket MATTE black the exterior bits.
That would certainly solve part of the problem admirably.
Quote:
Harrier is not for me. Never was. Neither was the Gravitas.
The Endeavour 3.2 as you, of all people, know was for me. But the Endeavour 2.0 is moving north of the price ladder slow and steady and spews out similar figures to the FCA /Kryotec 170. Its still remains a more suitable alternative to my needs but somehow doesn't do the magic that was the 3.2
[...]
The Darien Gap still remains wide open.
Agreed. Despite being ready to part with 20-30 big ones and we living in a time of unprecedented automotive choice in India, the Indian market disappoints the discerning customer in comprehensively frustrating manner.
Quote:
This new Tata vehicle comes into play because , well, it's now a Safari, and we Safari folk are obsessed with that nameplate beyond our otherwise logical and superlative wisdom.
Will strongly advise against romanticising this truly evocative and quite deservedly legendary nameplate. Nothing against this new safari in general (I have a lot against it as I have against just about every car), but I absolutely do not see it as a good fit for you. In another liberty of presumption, I will (perhaps foolishly, certainly arrogantly) claim to "know" you through your many posts, and our interaction here on TeamBHP; and make the sweeping statement that you probably shouldn't stick with the heartstring-tugging the Safari nameplate in this avatar (notice how I only finally capitalise "safari" here - it's deliberate, I'm trying to get you to look upon the name with a little less reverence).
Quote:
OT : Point me to your expedition diaries if you've penned anything anywhere.
Can only point you to my Instagram. It has photographs (duh!). Mostly expedition related. Especially Endeavour related. Though with the demise of the 3.2, perhaps you may not wish to rub salt in your wounds gazing upon the black fatso?
At any rate, I can share it without being OT since I recently uploaded pictures of my interior post some truly back-breaking inside-out detailing 10k kms ago - related to our beige/white discussion and all that. And yes, the colours are true to life, with minimal (only corrective) editing and no filters whatsoever.

Here's a teaser for ya':
2021 Tata Safari Review-photo_20210303_192248.jpg
2021 Tata Safari Review-photo_20210303_192403.jpg
2021 Tata Safari Review-photo_20210303_192359.jpg

Quote:
Thanks for replying Mu009. Nice to see you , been a while since you've written anything here.
Yeah. Variety of reasons - each less reasonable (couldn't resist, sorry) than the last. I owe a loooooong PM though - even longer overdue, actually. I've been an absolute, lazy *unmentionable-in-public-posts* about that - inexcusable. I can only apologise for the nonce. Will go into the safari/darien-gap-potential-fix/second-hand 3.2 (don't care for the term "pre-worshipped", I'm afraid), and a lot of other nonsense there.

Cheers!
And don't forget the single line more important than all the above nonsense, which you'll see below as my signature.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd March 2021 at 19:38. Reason: Removing the Instagram link. Would appreciate if you can share the bits here instead of an external link. Thanks.
Mu009 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 22:31   #498
BANNED

For a change. electricvehicleweb.in took cues from Nexon EV design and imagined Safari in EV guise:

2021 Tata Safari Review-tatasafariev.jpg
wheelguy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 23:04   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
The 2.0 multijet transverse mounting is best suited for LHD market, since some physical left vs right asymmetry on the bottom engine/engine-allied components hits the footwell earlier than ideal and causes the RHD pedals to fracture the feet of the RHD driver. This problem doesn't apply to LHD market. --- this has been discussed in TBHP elsewhere and applies to all 2.0 MJD customers - harrier, safari, compass (india) and the MG hector - none of these india specific models are crash test safety advertised.
Just curious how does LHD vs RHD matter here. If such a mounting results in fracture to the feet of driver in RHD car, wouldn't it result in fracture to co-passenger of LHD car? Does NCAP give more weightage to driver feet injury when compared to co-passenger's feet injury?
Old 3rd March 2021, 23:14   #500
BHPian

Any info on the deliveries?
Did anyone from the forum who booked get the vehicle delivered?
Old 3rd March 2021, 23:36   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by texens View Post
Just curious how does LHD vs RHD matter here. If such a mounting results in fracture to the feet of driver in RHD car, wouldn't it result in fracture to co-passenger of LHD car? Does NCAP give more weightage to driver feet injury when compared to co-passenger's feet injury?
It won't result in a fracture for the co-passenger because the issue is the intrusion of the ABC pedal assembly into the driver side footwell for RHD cars

In an LHD vehicle the engine layout (and hence the intruding part) is laid out the same way whereas the pedals are on the other side (left side) so no damage to the legs.
Shreyas_H is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 09:28   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by db DrivE View Post
Any info on the deliveries?
Did anyone from the forum who booked get the vehicle delivered?
Hello dbDrive, I've prebooked in Jan for XZA, but changed it to Adv Persona after launch. I just heard yesterday evening from the dealer in Pune that some vehicles have arrived for delivery including mine and deliveries will start in couple of days. Depends on dealers, however I saw earlier posts about deliveries starting in Delhi-NCR few days ago and first batch of 100 odd vehicles delivered.
CoffeeBeans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 09:50   #503
BHPian

2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBeans View Post
Hello dbDrive, I've prebooked in Jan for XZA, but changed it to Adv Persona after launch.

Thanks for the update.
I have booked mine on feb 23rd, just after the official openings.
Here at Hyderabad the showroom guy has no clue. He says he is waiting for an update from the plant.
Meanwhile i have planned my long drives towards this month end already and am eagerly waiting for it.
Do update us once you pick it. All the best 👍🏻

Last edited by db DrivE : 4th March 2021 at 09:52.
db DrivE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 11:37   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by db DrivE View Post
Thanks for the update.
I have booked mine on feb 23rd, just after the official openings.
Here at Hyderabad the showroom guy has no clue. He says he is waiting for an update from the plant.
Meanwhile i have planned my long drives towards this month end already and am eagerly waiting for it.
Do update us once you pick it. All the best 👍🏻
I have booked mine on the Feb 23rd too.
My SA mentioned that mine was the first Adventure Persona variant booking that they received ( was revealed on the Feb 22nd anyway )
Status is same as yours, The SA still doesn't have clarity on deliveries. They had given me a waiting period of 4-6 weeks.

I was hoping that they at least get the Adventure persona variant in their yard so that I can go take a look in person, but no luck on that front yet !
Old 4th March 2021, 11:44   #505
MCR
BHPian

Just checkout this comparison.

Goes to show how Tata Safari is so much more value for money as compared to its competitors as well as its sibling.
Will soon visit Prerana Motors Lalbaugh Road to have a look and also take a Test Drive.
MCR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 13:50   #506
BHPian

My sister and BIL after months of scouting finally ended up with the Safari Adventure edition.

Cars considered: Kia Seltos, Toyota Innova, VW T-Roc, Jeep Compass

After multiple test drives of the above mentioned cars and booking followed by cancellation for some or the other reason, they had their eyes set on the Harrier. The Tata folks were patient enough to grant multiple test drives and must have visited the house at least 4 times. Kudos to the dealership !!

My sister wanted a good and spacious cabin. The kids wanted the sun roof. My BIL loved the 2L Fiat Engine. Harrier ticked the boxes for all in the family. Once the Safari was launched, they saw it and were put off with the "White" color interiors and went ahead with the booking of Harrier XZA+ White.

We then test drove the Safari and found it to have better NVH levels compared to the Harrier apart from the fact that it had better brakes and Auto-Hold. However, the extra features and the optional 3rd row did not cut it for them since the interior was white. I told them to consider the Adventure Persona but all of them in the family jumped on me saying that the Color was not good. I forced them to take a look at it in person before ruling it out considering the extras you get in the Safari.

At the right moment, the dealer said that they have a display car in Adventure persona edition. We went and took a look at it and Voila ! "Everyone screamed. This color is not bad" and the rest as they say, is history

They swapped the booking from Harrier XZA+ White to Safari Adventure Persona. The waiting now begins and not surprisingly, Safari carries no corporate discounts or any waivers, but this is ok. With the extra 1-1.5L you get a lot more than Harrier and it is very well worth it.

I am so happy they chose the Safari over Harrier. According to me, the Safari trumps harrier in which whatever way you look at it. The extra seats offer great flexibility for those one-two day trips for 7 people. Considering the Safari comes with those awesome and functional roof rails, one can even install those (350-400L) roof box. This should solve the luggage problem on those long trips when carrying 6 or 7 people.

The Harrier may be "Above All", but with Safari, you get to "Reclaim your life". Go ahead and make your choice wisely.
hellraizer is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 14:50   #507
Senior - BHPian

Awesome! Which dealership is this please? I wanted to check out this colour in person. Did you click any pics?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraizer View Post
At the right moment, the dealer said that they have a display car in Adventure persona edition. We went and took a look at it and Voila ! "Everyone screamed. This color is not bad" and the rest as they say, is history
Old 4th March 2021, 15:26   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Awesome! Which dealership is this please? I wanted to check out this colour in person. Did you click any pics?
KEY Motors, J P Nagar. I see some pics posted earlier on the same thread. You should find this display vehicle in Prerana Motors, Lalbagh as well.
The adventure persona indeed is refreshing.
hellraizer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 16:22   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
No doc. I haven't even seen it. My present location doesn't make it convenient. All opinions based on tertiary information routed through secondary sources.

Your vivid description scares me, like a buzz kill should.
I will seriously look forward to a detailed report from you, Safari style, when you put the new baby through its paces.

Not because I plan to buy it. But like any Safari owner, my heart is crying for this one to have the same genes, even if smaller and lacking the "look".

I'm sure you know what I mean.

It's part of the family now. And unlike friends, you don't choose family.

Cheers, Doc

P.S. Interestingly, it was the signature dark blue color, with the Safari badging on the tailgate in black.

Last edited by ebonho : 4th March 2021 at 16:26.
Old 4th March 2021, 17:12   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraizer View Post

Considering the Safari comes with those awesome and functional roof rails, one can even install those (350-400L) roof box. This should solve the luggage problem on those long trips when carrying 6 or 7 people.

Check this part again. I believe in the sunroof variant the roof rails are just cosmetic.
NoLurkerForLong is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed