Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2021, 11:24   #766
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
While Crysta is expensive and misses kit, Safari misses on practicality of Crysta. For one, sitting 7 people with luggage will be a problem due to space on offer secondly being unibody, Safari will not perform as well when loaded with 6+folks and luggage. Also note, the white interiors will look good when new but will start showing its age in a year or two. Adventure edition will age better.
If someone can afford 4-5 more lakhs, there are even more reasons to go for Crysta. The curtain airbags in Crysta seem to extend till the third row and there are knee airbags for the driver. Safari's airbags as per the picture shown in the website only extends to second row. Also it does not offer knee airbags which will be a big difference in head on collisions. So it is defenitely a safer car.

I think, those who have a use case for seven seats most of the time will go for Crysta itself. But the ones who use it as a large 5 seater with occasional thrid row will prefer the Safari.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Tata Safari Review-unmatchedsafetybanner1600x1000.jpg  

2021 Tata Safari Review-safariairbags.jpg  

Last edited by padmrajravi : 16th April 2021 at 11:36.
padmrajravi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 11:36   #767
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreaks View Post
Yes, that is what it was. I wasn't aware of it while taking delivery, but I have read up on it since. Not sure whether it is required for a new car or not.
The question below is exactly what I had in mind when I read your post, bluestreaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Was this the DPF regeneration process for a BSIV cars? When the Diesel Particulate Filter gets clogged, there is a process called DPF regeneration that takes ~20 min to get the clogged soot out! But isn't it too early for a new car?
DPF related issues are quite common now for Toyota cars too, such as the Fortuner and Prado, here in Australia. So much that Toyota had to come up with a fix and a method for the owners themselves to force the car to perform a DPF regeneration.

I am surprised such a new car had to have this done.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 18:21   #768

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
But the ones who use it as a large 5 seater with occasional thrid row will prefer the Safari.
Well summarized. This is exactly my usecase, and that is why I have gone with the Safari. And until now, it has been a great choice.
Old 17th April 2021, 15:49   #769
Distinguished - BHPian

Take a break feature of the Tata Safari shows the name of the car as Gravitas!

2021 Tata Safari Review-08274e8ff99e47c394aaaea7882fdf70.jpeg
CEF_Beasts is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 16:11   #770
BHPian

Quote:
Take a break feature of the Tata Safari shows the name of the car as Gravitas!
You caught it when Gravitas was taking a break from pretending to be Tata Safari
Nikhil Beke is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 16:47   #771
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I think, those who have a use case for seven seats most of the time will go for Crysta itself. But the ones who use it as a large 5 seater with occasional thrid row will prefer the Safari.
While the white interiors and sunroof makes it feel airy, it is not that spacious inside.

The Safari's second row (bench seat) is surprisingly not that spacious , 2 is comfortable, 3 is a bit of a squeeze, they have scooped out the floor for the passengers on either side but the one sitting in the center won't enjoy the ride.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 18:15   #772
Senior - BHPian

Has any of the owners of the new Safari swapped their set of Bridgestone Ecopia (235 60 R18) tyres to any other brands? I am contemplating on swapping to a new set of Michelins or Continentals.

From the description of the tyres I see that Ecopia range is more focused on Eco-friendliness & fuel efficiency aspect and less towards grip levels, ride quality, etc.
Also from one of the Facebook group I heard about some negative comments on set of Ecopia tyres.

Any experiences and inputs regarding the the tyres of the Safari is very much appreciated.
Old 18th April 2021, 05:44   #773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
The Safari's second row (bench seat) is surprisingly not that spacious , 2 is comfortable, 3 is a bit of a squeeze.
Safari is one of the widest ride available. Especially at its price point hardly any options, which compare with it. If it is not good enough I am not sure what options do we have.
abhijet.sen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 05:57   #774
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The Safari's second row (bench seat) is surprisingly not that spacious , 2 is comfortable, 3 is a bit of a squeeze, they have scooped out the floor for the passengers on either side but the one sitting in the center won't enjoy the ride.
However wide or narrow it is, it is the widest in that price range. Hector's bench is narrower. Tucson is not as wide. Compass is not even close. Creta/Seltos are a full class down in terms of width and shoulder room. And among the sedans, the erstwhile Octavia and Civic both aren’t this wide.

Granted, the bench is not as accommodating as the old Safari or Hexa. But it is as good as what you can get today.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th April 2021 at 20:14. Reason: As requested
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 18:33   #775
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
However wide or narrow it is, it is the widest in that price range. Harrier’s bench is narrower. Tucson is not as wide. Compass is not even close. Creta/Seltos are a full class down in terms of width and shoulder room. And among the sedans, the erstwhile Octavia and Civic both aren’t this wide.

Granted, the bench is not as accommodating as the old Safari or Hexa. But it is as good as what you can get today.
Nope. It isn't as wide inside as you would think from the numbers. It isn't a proper 5 seater or a 7 seater.

As we paid ~26L , my BIL also looked at all those numbers and he was
satisfied with it until it came home and replaced the good old XUV, which had better space all around.

Since you mentioned the sedans, the seating position is similar to sedans than what you expect from a tall crossover.
Old 18th April 2021, 19:01   #776
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
While the white interiors and sunroof makes it feel airy, it is not that spacious inside.

The Safari's second row (bench seat) is surprisingly not that spacious
I felt the same when I saw the car in the dealership. But that's me as a user of the older-gen Safari, which had among the most spacious rear seats.

Not sure if there is any other car in the same price bracket that is wider than the 2021 safari at the rear bench.

Last edited by GTO : 21st April 2021 at 08:14. Reason: OG = Older Generation? Please don't use hard-to-understand acronyms
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 08:41   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Sorry for the late reply and congrats for purchasing Safari Adventure Persona variant sir.

Yes, the Safari is nearly Rs.4L cheaper than the Innova Crysta and comes with better features like sunroof, electronic parking brake and has fresh looks than boring Crysta.

BTW, you had sold your Jetta and bought the Safari as the replacement for the Jetta right?
Yep, I moved from an Octavia vRS 1.8 TPI to a Jetta 2.0 TDI MT in 2014 to now the Safari Adventure AT as my need has changed - needed a 4+2 seater, high hip point for parents, higher ground clearance to reach our farm, automatic for the convenience, feel good factors like the panoramic sunroof, electric parking brake, etc.,

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
DPF related issues are quite common now for Toyota cars too, such as the Fortuner and Prado, here in Australia. So much that Toyota had to come up with a fix and a method for the owners themselves to force the car to perform a DPF regeneration.

I am surprised such a new car had to have this done.
While Toyota recommends this DPF regen while the car is stationary and with a push of a button, TATA recommends this be done while the car is being driven at >2K RPM
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 12:31   #778
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Here's proof that the Tata Safari was originally named the Gravitas only!

When Tata announced that the 7-seater Harrier will be badged as the Safari, I was ecstatic! As far as marketing moves go, this is as good as it gets. I had said so as much in this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
1. I think it's an excellent move & fully support it. Brand Safari is worth 100 crores at the minimum & has instant recognition. Now, Tata doesn't have another big SUV in development as far as I know. So why wait another 5 years to use the brand, if & when that next SUV comes? Instead, paste it on a ready product that is quite butch-looking too, mind you.

2. It could also have been an afterthought decision taken recently to revive Harrier / Gravitas sales as the Harrier's market performance has been way lower than Tata's expectations.

3. I can guarantee you that 10X more people will look at Gravitas advertisements now that it is branded as the "Safari".

What the heck is the point of having ammunition in your bag if you don't use it? This is an EXCELLENT move from the POV of marketing IMHO. I also understand the POV of purists & those who are passionate about the Safari brand, but the fact is, purist values don't sell cars.

Lastly, for whatever it is worth, the Safari 4x4 was a terrible offroader. So, purists need to calm down a bit.
Some Tata Motors managers however went on record and said that the "Safari badge" was always meant for the car, and denied that it was a last minute change. Well, here's proof that the car was originally called the Gravitas.

Quote:
The Safari has got a feature where the MID prompts the driver to take a break if he has been continuously driving it for long. However, the image of the car shows the "Gravitas" nameplate instead of Safari. Seems the QC team missed it during the name change.
2021 Tata Safari Review-gravitas.jpg

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!
GTO is offline   (69) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 13:03   #779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Here's proof that the Tata Safari was originally named the Gravitas only!
Not only that, even in Safari's owners' manual, although they have removed all mentions of Gravitas, but they forgot to change from Gravitas to Safari in Headings under 'Bookmarks Section'. See for yourself:link
Attaching a snippet here too.

2nd point, while comparing Harrier vs Safari's owners manual, I found out that maximum gradability in Safari is 16.7 degrees as compared to 35%(sic) in Harrier. Why such a big difference? 16.7 degrees is too less for a so called SUV.

One more minor point, even though in our official review it has been mentioned that Laden Ground Clearance of Safari is 143mm, however as per owners' manual, it is 150mm. Please rectify.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Tata Safari Review-safari-manual.jpg  

2021 Tata Safari Review-safarivsharrier.jpg  

2021 Tata Safari Review-safari-gc.jpg  

Last edited by SahilS : 20th April 2021 at 13:04.
SahilS is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 16:39   #780
BHPian

Nice to see Tata haven’t lost their lackadaisical attention to detail. Nothing surprising.

Seriously, if you plan on lying through your teeth, at least try covering all your bases.

Or who knows, Tata may retort saying that’s how deep our commitment was to make you believe that the “Gravitas” was a smoke screen.

I would rather be surprised to find if any fellow bhpians or regular visitors actually believed Tata’s executives saying they intended the Harrier 7 seater aka Gravitas of being the Safari, and the whole Gravitas name being just a temporary smoke screen.
TROOPER is offline   (28) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks