Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2021, 14:29   #916
BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramprebagar View Post
I booked the XZA+ Adventure Persona on 11th March . On 26th March was asked to pay the full amount stating the car will be billed by 31st March which I did . No confirm dates yet. Have contacted TML and in constant touch with the dealer . Had sold my exisiting car as well. The dealer provided a loaner car in April when I asked them to refund the payment . Everytime I call them , I get a response it will be billed in a couple of days .
I booked around first week of march at Laxmi Motors and was told 4-6 weeks time but still waiting. In the meantime, they informed me vehicle is allotted and asked to pay 2L which I did. Now in hindsight, I see that was just a plain lie and they must have expected the vehicle to be allotted soon.
Old 22nd May 2021, 15:14   #917
BHPian

How is Ira working for others? I constantly get the message that the vehicle is experiencing poor network signal. I have tried at multiple locations, but it just doesn't work.
Old 22nd May 2021, 22:35   #918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjanakpatel View Post
How is Ira working for others? I constantly get the message that the vehicle is experiencing poor network signal. I have tried at multiple locations, but it just doesn't work.
For iRA, you need to get KYC done. It needs to be initiated by dealer. They will take Aadhaar, Pan and a passport photo (you can whatsapp all these) and will initiate activation of iRA. It would take 3-4 days post which your app would be able to connect to the car.

Ideally dealer should initiate the process during the handover itself but for me it was not done and had to follow-up later. Also heard that all new cars need to come equipped with FASTAG but mine was delivered without it. At times I wonder if a simple checklist cant be provided to the SA so that they don't miss anything while delivering the cars !
Varunmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 09:37   #919
JJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJo View Post
I too have booked XZA (RB color) on 6-Mar in Hyd and yet to get concrete update on the delivery date. Today when I followed up with SA, I was informed that production is going to stop for a week due to covid and delivery will be further delayed. I don't know how far this news is true but overall experience so far has left a bad taste as there is no transparency & following up with TML has become a routine (there is absolutely no proactive status update from TML or SA)
I was particularly told that the delay is due to the variant & color I have booked, again I don't believe TML & SA on the reasoning. Since I have already signed agreement with the bank and paid the stamp duty for loan, I am kind off stuck - If I have to chose another variant or another car altogether, then bank wants me to pay stamp duty again (~11K)
Update -
I finally got a call from dealer that my vehicle is now ready and has reached showroom. The entire follow-up with TML Sales Manager & Showroom has left me exhausted and I just hope the vehicle experience would help me forget this ordeal.
In between, I had changed my color choice to White and I am now getting the same one. Since there is a lock down, showroom is getting shut by 9.30, so I just had few mins to do visual PDI. However, I requested SA to get me PDI report - I have received a 2 pager hazy pic which has manual entry of 'ok' against the check points (can't even read the checkpoints). Not sure how judiciously it was done but satisfying myself that at least it was done and the report has the same VIN no.

The delivery is split between 2 days because of short operation window due to lockdown - Mon, I will pay the total amount & dealer will register it with RTO for TR. Wed, I will take the delivery.

Can someone please comment on 'United India Insurance' - I got a very competitive quote from PolicyBazar, however I am not sure on reputation if I should go for it.
Any other good choice for insurance? I tried RoyalSundram, BajajAllianz, etc, they are all 70K+ (Nil dep+RTI+Engine Protector) where as the same addons for United India gives a quote of 57K, hence the confusion.

SA was pushing for accessories and out of all, I found sunshade to be a necessary (being from Hyd) - but these are magnetic ones and not the roll-up ones which we get in Creata. These are almost 4.5K, worth it?

Side step dint interest me, so deferring for later on need basis & other electrical accessories such as Dashcam, will plan aftermarket because I believe there are more varieties in market.
There are no 7D mats in official accessories list, so that too would be aftermarket.

XZA variant misses out on roof rail 'Safari' badging which I can understand that it will hinder once roof rack is installed. However, some miniature call out would have been possible, as currently it looks dull

Finally, my odo read that its driven '84km', anything of concern here? even after asking couple of times, SA was not able to give me exact stockyard location. However, I checked the car underbelly and it was clean which was a relief and makes me assume that even if its driven, it all on tarmac

Vin shows May-2021 date, so no concerns here!
Any other pointers that I should focus on/seek clarification from dealer before it's registered or during delivery? (I know it sounds desperate but after waiting for eternity and emotions changing from excitement, to feeling stuck, to again excitement & now to apprehensions - you now know what I am trying to say)

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd May 2021 at 14:35. Reason: Maximum two smileys per post please. Thank you!
JJo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 18:28   #920
BHPian

One important observation. My Safari Supports Wireless Android Auto although seems to be a beta version.

I had enabled Android Auto using wired connection earlier. However, today when I was playing around with the infotainment system, all of a sudden a message flashed on the screen that that wireless android auto is available on my device. After that I tried few steps as instructed but it didn't connect. So I restarted the vehicle and also restarted the phone and followed the instructions again.

This time I was lucky and got my phone connected using wireless AA. The map on the infotainment system was showing correct location and also could setup navigation for some of the places I tried. I drove for a short distance and the map was showing correct navigation!

I thought it might be just a coincidence that my phone got connected so tried with other phone in the house. Even that phone was connected using wireless AA. In fact on the other phone, more apps were enabled using AA and even had WhatsApp, Telegram, YT Music etc. support.

The wireless AA needs bluetooth connection and once connected using BT, the mobile device connects to ConnectNext Wifi. The Wifi is not for any data access and seems to be for some internal working. With the Wifi connected, I thought my mobile data won't work, however I think it is working. Need to do some more testing.

The display still shows 'Pre-production Hardware Not for Resale' message on the screen which means that a software upgrade is needed. I am hoping that the upgrade will be available soon and that the patch will not remove wireless AA!

I haven't fully explored all the features, but the big plus is that wireless android auto is working and that the USB stick can be used alongside with AA!

2021 Tata Safari Review-20210523_1546021.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 25th May 2021 at 23:07. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
varman742 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 22:17   #921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varman742 View Post
One important observation. My Safari Supports Wireless Android Auto although seems to be a beta version.
Thanks for sharing!
For me, I have not been able to connect with Android auto at all. Haven't tried a wired connection but a wireless one doesn't work. On my phone it shows that android auto (Redmi Note 7) is installed. But when I try connecting...it simply says trying to search for BT devices and shows failure after sometime. But otherwise my phone connects easily with BT and I can use the call feature etc.

Not sure how to debug this.
Old 23rd May 2021, 23:23   #922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varman742 View Post

The display still shows 'Pre-production Hardware Not for Resale' message on the screen which means that a software upgrade is needed. I am hoping that the upgrade will be available soon and that the patch will not remove wireless AA!

I haven't fully explored all the features, but the big plus is that wireless android auto is working and that the USB stick can be used alongside with AA!
Thank you for sharing this, I tried the same around 2 months back with my friend's phone (One plus 8 pro) which runs on Android 11. Though it was working fine when wired but as soon as I disconnect the wire, the Android Auto app on the phone was working but not reflecting the same on the Car Infotainment system UI. Was a bit disappointed, thought that the system may require some update. But later on, I read on some forum that the system should support Wifi connection as well, which you also highlighted. I don't know whether the Harrier head unit supports that or not, but your post gives me some hope. I Will try again, Can you tell me which phone you used to experiment with the wireless connection?

Anyone who wants to try that, do enable the following options in the Android Auto app in the settings section of your phone.

First, Enable the Wireless Android Auto Option

Second, Enable the wireless projection to the settings option. Refer the below steps:

Enable development settings in the Android Auto app by opening the app, tapping settings, scrolling down until you see “version,” and then tapping on “version” 5 times or more.
Enter Development Settings.
Select “wireless projection to settings.”
Reboot your phone.

If you are successful whether in Harrier or Safari, Do let us know. My phone doesn't support Android 11, so I will have to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varunmohan View Post
Thanks for sharing!
For me, I have not been able to connect with Android auto at all. Haven't tried a wired connection but a wireless one doesn't work. On my phone, it shows that android auto (Redmi Note 7) is installed. But when I try connecting...it simply says trying to search for BT devices and shows failure after sometime. But otherwise my phone connects easily with BT and I can use the call feature etc.

Not sure how to debug this.
When you are trying to connect for the first time, Keep wifi and Bluetooth on, install the Android Auto app on the phone and when you Connect the wire and phone should detect it automatically.
Highh5 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 13:12   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Can you tell me which phone you used to experiment with the wireless connection?
I tried with two phones, Samsung Galaxy A50 and A52, both running Android 11. I got the connection after trying for so many days. Initially the default setting for wireless AA on my phone was 'ON'. Every time after pairing with BT, the HU was attempting to connect using wireless and was failing. Hence I switched off the wireless option on my phone and connected using wire.

However, yesterday I turned on wireless just to see the effect and to my surprise it worked! After the initial setup, the wireless AA starts automatically every time I turn on the ignition. It has been seamless after the initial hiccups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varunmohan View Post
Thanks for sharing!
For me, I have not been able to connect with Android auto at all.
It may depend on the mobile device as well. Please check within your AA settings on phone whether it supports wireless connection. Also, this is a trial and error process based on my experience. Please don't forget to keep turn on Wifi on your mobile.

In the WA group of Safari owners, there has been a feedback that during the 1st service once the firmware is upgraded, the wireless AA option is disabled and that the production version is expected in July.

If this is the case then I will be sad to lose this option. I am hoping that my firmware is updated only post July!

Last edited by varman742 : 24th May 2021 at 13:15.
varman742 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 11:44   #924
BHPian

After long and arduous wait, finally I got a call from SA that chassis no has come and car is allotted to me. Really excited to see the car in person.

Meanwhile TML has increased the car prices from 8th May 2021. So the Ex Showroom price in Mumbai has gone up from 21,45,000 to 21,82,000. However TATA MOTORS has given the price protection on the Ex showroom price for bookings before 8th May 2021.

At the time of booking in February

SAFARI ADVENTURE 7STR XZA+

Exhsowroom : 2145000
Insurance : SELF
RTO : 331180
TCS : 21814
FASTAG : 600

ONROAD : 24,92,867

As of today

SAFARI ADVENTURE 7STR XZA+

Exhsowroom : 2145000
Insurance : SELF
RTO : 336749
TCS : 21814
FASTAG : 600

ONROAD : 25,04,163

The price protection is not applicable to TCS and RTO tax.

Also as the showroom is closed , the dealer won’t be able to provide any accessories at the time of delivery.

I have already paid my contribution and have the bank s loan sanction letter with me. Can I do the PDI , before making the remaining payment.
NitSat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 15:58   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitSat View Post
After long and arduous wait, finally I got a call from SA that chassis no has come and car is allotted to me. Really excited to see the car in person.
Congratulations! You can do the PDI prior to releasing full payment for the car (pre-registration). I am in the same boat as you, just received details on the allotment as well, paid an advance, and waiting on the next steps. Overall increase on the road tax and the TCS component in KA is approx. 7k compared to the old price.
raamki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 19:03   #926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi1990 View Post
As I am planning to get delivery of XZA+ Adventure Persona in the coming week, there are a couple of questions that I have related to the Insurance and Infotainment of the car.
Update: I was hoping to get my car delivered in the week ending 16th May as SA called me on 10th May that Car has been billed to me and will reach the showroom by 16th May and I can plan my delivery. However, have still not received my car and not sure when will I get it. Yesterday, I called them and asked for an update and they told me that they are not able to track the car as the tracking software is not working, then they told me that guy with the tracking software is not reachable and when I got frustrated, they finally told me that Car is in GUNA, MP as the driver got covid and truck is lying there and another driver will have to bring it to the showroom. I guess this is all false stories and don't know what Tata is doing. Have contacted their regional head and nobody has any answer. Hoping to get some update soon.
Abhi1990 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 13:14   #927

While I have also booked Safari XZA+ and eagerly waiting for the delivery anytime after lockdown, I happened to see the below forum and now I am very confused & shocked

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-continue.html (Brand new 2021 Tata Safari | Breakdown on delivery day, problems continue)

I didn't want to be a spoilsport while many of us are also waiting for the car. But after shelling out 25+Lakh and having the car which doesn't start on the day of delivery is my worst nightmare.

IMO, Tata should at least own the issue and provide a good replacement/service. When that is also not happening, my heart is broken!! Now I am rethinking...
Venkad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 14:30   #928
BHPian

Safari XZA+ Adventure Edition - 8 weeks of initial Ownership, 850 KMs Updates (Mix of City and Highway drives)

Soon after delivery, Maharashtra government announced lockdown so I haven't driven extensively. However posting a short summary of my observations based on whatever I have driven so far:

What I like
1. Exterior Looks - On the road it is a head turner and I can see many giving a curious look at this beauty. Tropical Mist color with black elements looks fresh and stands out in the crowd.
2. Safari Brand Name - Lot has been debated on this topic. However given the kind of attention my safari is getting so far I feel that Safari Brand name has worked, at-least from marketing perspective.
3. Build Quality - The exterior build and paint quality is very good and feels solid. The doors, bonnet, tailgate etc. are big & heavy.
4. Interiors - The interiors are well built and the cabin is great place to spend time for long journeys. For me, the black-beige combination looks more richer than the that in normal variant.
5. Seating Comfort - Seating comfort in all three rows is very good and the third row is genuinely usable. Boot space with all three rows up is almost zero, but flexible seating arrangement should help me for long drives where I expect max 6 people. With third row folded I get big boot space, however the loading lip is on higher side.
6. The Auto Box & Drive - The drive is super smooth and am loving the auto box after graduating from manual. I just need a light foot to move the car forward and also to gain speed. The gear shifts are seamless and the 'City' mode has enough power for all kinds of drives. Till now I have used the 'Sports' mode sparingly but in this mode the car is very much eager to speed up. The 'Eco' mode makes the ride smoother and plush. Despite of bigger size, I find it easy to drive in city & crowded places. Also, the AVH feature is useful as it makes the drive even more easy.
7. NVH & Insulation - is very good for a Diesel vehicle. There is very little noise entering the cabin and whatever engine sound is coming is likable, reminding that a powerful engine is running under the hood.

What I don't like
1. Quality of the Reverse Camera - Enough has been said already.
2. Heavy Steering at Parking Speed - For me its not much of an issue, however my wife finds it bit heavy when parking.
3. Access to the Horn pad - Horn pad is tight and not easily reachable. If I needs to honk urgently, I have to lift the palms off the steering wheel. This could be uncomfortable feeling especially for new drivers in emergency situations.
4. Positioning of the Dead Pedal - The dead pedal is sits slightly at higher on the floor. Due to this the left leg doesn't get enough under thigh support for my height (172 cm). After trying multiple combinations, I finally found an acceptable position, though not a perfect one.
5. Center Armrest Design - It does not slide and also while opening, the lid fiddles with the lumbar support knob on the driver's seat. Also, the cooled box under the armrest is useless as it is too small. I would have preferred a proper cooled glovebox.

Niggles faced
Just read another thread about Safari breaking down on the day of delivery and I feel sorry for the owner. Thankfully, my experience so far has been largely niggle free, except few minor issues:
1. During the initial days, occasionally the driver side seat belt warning sign and beep was turned ON even though the seat belt was fastened. I guess there was some loose connection. After few drives it disappeared automatically!
2. The HU hanged once when I was trying some screen navigations. I had to switch off and restart the car to sort this out. Haven't faced this issue again.

Some Nitpicking
1. Tailgate Opening - The tailgate is heavy and it would been nice to have it powered. Also, whenever tailgate is opened, there is a double horn beep. Not sure if this is for any safety reason, however it can be annoying at times. I didn't find a way to switch off this beep.
2. Excess Usage of Piano Black in Interiors - While it looks very premium, it is difficult to clean and is a finger print magnet.

PS: I am not an enthusiastic driver and have not driven too many car brands. Also, for 28 years I have been driving manual so this is my first experience with proper AT. Thus my views are not comparisons with other vehicles and/or other automatics in the market.

Last edited by varman742 : 27th May 2021 at 14:50.
varman742 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 15:48   #929
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Pardon me for writing this in the review thread, but I am seeing lots of existing owners/prospective buyers of the harrier/safari developing cold feet, as more and more issues are reported with these twins.

And I wanted to lend a bit of perspective :

What should be noted carefully, is not the number of issues or frequency of occurrence ; but the nature of issues. They are far too fundamental in engineering terms : leaking AC condensate drain, leaking roof, ICE hangs, wiring, keyfob, clutch switch, spurious warnings on cluster etc etc

The engine is from FCA, gearbox is from Hyundai, the chassis skeleton is from LandRover. Then what did "TATA" engineers do ? Assembly, some mechanical stuff (steering, sunroof, rear suspension) and mainly all the electrical stuff. It is exactly those "tata contributed" ones that are failing. And that is a massive concern.

Hence getting nervous around these two products is perfectly reasonable.
venkyhere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 16:37   #930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkad View Post
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-continue.html (Brand new 2021 Tata Safari | Breakdown on delivery day, problems continue)

I didn't want to be a spoilsport while many of us are also waiting for the car. But after shelling out 25+Lakh and having the car which doesn't start on the day of delivery is my worst nightmare.
This makes me sad and worry at the same time. Going to invest 24 lakhs in a car and something like this happen, this makes it very hard to digest and move forward at the same time as the company is not supporting plus we will not get a good resale value. As I am eagerly waiting, question to fellow owners who are driving this car for quite some time now, should we go ahead and buy this? are you guys facing similar issues and how is your driving experience till now?
Abhi1990 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed