Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2021, 20:40   #931
BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Ownership update - 7 weeks, 530 kms

Got the first servicing done this week. I also got the accessories installed.

Some observations:

1. iRA application is totally useless as 95% of the times it is laggy and gives the error message saying car is facing network issues.

2. Quality in places are a let down though I knew about this while opting for a Tata car. Rough edges inside the cabin at most of the touch points including steering wheel, grab handle, centre console.

3. Maintaining the piano black and the white interior is a task.

2021 Tata Safari Review-9a2c309bb70e4674a2faaf1d2fd76f03.jpeg

Last edited by Sheel : 29th May 2021 at 07:40. Reason: Formatting.
ashish2135 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 21:45   #932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Pardon me for writing this in the review thread, but I am seeing lots of existing owners/prospective buyers of the harrier/safari developing cold feet, as more and more issues are reported with these twins.
A lemon can come out of any production line, it is not specific to a product from Tata Motors. I have read two reports of brand new cars failing from both VW (polo) and Skoda on this very forum, does Tata deserve the bashing it is being subject to now? In my opinion, no. Apart from the level of QC Tata is known for, this is definitely a process failure at multiple levels. The issues reported by the customer should've been identified during one of the many QC processes at the factory or at least the dealer should have noticed something was amiss during the PDI. The probability of something like this happening (seriousness of the issues) is maybe 1 in 20000 units or more. Give Tata some time to handle the situation with the customer. This is extremely unfortunate but I am confident Tata will do the right thing for this customer. Like somebody else mentioned, we need a law to protect us from being at the mercy of manufacturers from these specific issues, but it can happen with any car coming out of any stable. Agreed Tata QC is not the best but it's not the worst out there either.

For prospects not willing to wait for the xuv, please do a detailed PDI.

Last edited by raamki : 28th May 2021 at 21:50. Reason: typo
raamki is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 05:27   #933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varunmohan View Post
I have not been able to connect with Android auto at all. Haven't tried a wired connection but a wireless one doesn't work. On my phone it shows that android auto (Redmi Note 7) is installed.

Not sure how to debug this.
Wireless android auto works with all phones running on Android 11 OS.

It works in Android 10 OS phones of Samsung and Google pixel only.

Hope this helps.
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 08:31   #934
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raamki View Post
A lemon can come out of any production line, it is not specific to a product from Tata Motors. I have read two reports of brand new cars failing from both VW (polo) and Skoda on this very forum, does Tata deserve the bashing it is being subject to now? In my opinion, no. Apart from the level of QC Tata is known for, this is definitely a process failure at multiple levels. The issues reported by the customer should've been identified during one of the many QC processes at the factory or at least the dealer should have noticed something was amiss during the PDI. The probability of something like this happening (seriousness of the issues) is maybe 1 in 20000 units or more.
That's the very point I was trying to make. Take the example of "pour a mug of water (not a torrential rain in a thunderstorm or going and standing under a waterfall) on the roof" and water leaking through the cabin lamps cavity. Is this a "lemon" ? A lemon is when someone in the assembly line didn't do their job to the required perfection. This has to be termed "sheer negligence" because someone was either blind or simply skipped the "shower test" step itself, in its entirety. This is not a QC issue, this is QC failure. This is what raises the question - "it doesn't matter what processes has been put in place on the assembly line, what if faking a test as 'done' on the checklist is not caught by the system in place?"
I was not pointing out to the number or frequency of occurrences (X issues spread across Y number of vehicles that rolled out) , I am pointing out to the utter basic nature of issues showing up. Yet another example - AC condensate drain pipe outlet left in the passenger space, instead of taking it out through a hole - someone forgot to do it (silly issue, human error, nothing catastrophic) , but more importantly, the system never caught it - don't they switch on the AC and test it at some point between exiting the assembly line and before it reaches the hands of the customer ?

The silliness of issues that are showing up, is what gets my goat.

Quote:
Give Tata some time to handle the situation with the customer.
20+ years since the success of the indica that elevated tata to a serious passenger car maker. Still want more time ? With all their engineering might ?

Quote:
This is extremely unfortunate but I am confident Tata will do the right thing for this customer. Like somebody else mentioned, we need a law to protect us from being at the mercy of manufacturers from these specific issues, but it can happen with any car coming out of any stable. Agreed Tata QC is not the best but it's not the worst out there either.
Again, the frustration comes because Tata is not a "cheating their way to cost-cut and boost margins" (like other manufacturers) company - their heart is in the right place, they are making all the right engineering and design decisions and we can clearly see that they want to treat the indian customer with respect (a claim that many many other manufacturers selling in india can't make) - but the sheer childish silliness of not ironing out their production line bugs (technical and human) is driving so many of us up the wall. To get 99% right and then flounder at the last 1% , that renders the 99% irrelevant ? Come on, Tata..

Last edited by venkyhere : 29th May 2021 at 08:41.
venkyhere is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 14:21   #935
BHPian

Yesterday did a 200 kms drive. Since the car is in running in period kept my speed below 100. Was using cruise control 90% of time. MID showed fuel efficiency of 16.9 kmpl for the highway run. This was with two people and 200kgs of cargo onboard.
drjanakpatel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 19:17   #936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Wireless android auto works with all phones running on Android 11 OS.

It works in Android 10 OS phones of Samsung and Google pixel only.

Hope this helps.
This means its time to buy a new phone
Thanks!
Old 31st May 2021, 21:33   #937
Senior - BHPian

Although apple carplay doesnot work wirelessly with a dongle as far as I know, I’d seriously recommend that you try the apple carplay. You will love the experience and it is so much better than android auto. Recently a friend was asking about accessories for new car (he is an android guy), and I asked him to buy an entry level apple phone for his car as an accessory.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 31st May 2021 at 21:34. Reason: Typo
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 09:55   #938

Quote:
Originally Posted by varman742 View Post
One important observation. My Safari Supports Wireless Android Auto although seems to be a beta version.

I had enabled Android Auto using wired connection earlier.

Attachment 2159829
2021 Tata Safari Review-phonesnapshot.jpeg

I tried couple of times but has not been lucky so far. My phone has Android 11 and it does show on phone that wireless android auto is available on car. snapshot below..

However, when i try to connect android auto from car, it asks for connecting via USB cable.

Am i missing something here?

Took delivery of Safari 10 days back. So far experience has been wonderful in short drives in this lockdown time.

2 days back, IRA helped identify the mistake.
After a drive, one of the door was not locked properly so while locking car was giving a honk, did not realise the significance of it.

However, later when trying to check IRA, it showed one of the doors opened. Immediately went down and rectified.

So got to use IRA and also realise the importance of honk during the locking (if it happens).

MOD NOTE - Back to back posts merged. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Please proof read your post for spelling / typo errors before submitting them.

Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd June 2021 at 06:22. Reason: Back to back posts.
ashishkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 15:00   #939
Senior - BHPian

I have cracked the maintenance of 'piano black finish' in my Nexon (for 4 years now) with PlastX (Meguiar's product). Those parts in my car, look brand new
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish2135 View Post
3. Maintaining the piano black and the white interior is a task.
Old 5th June 2021, 16:10   #940
BHPian

Hi All, i have been facing strange situation with tata.have booked my car on 5th april and on 10th May,got call from them that car has been billed from the plant and they shared chassis number with me (April manufactured) and car would reach dealership by 16th or 17 May, however, car has not reached dealership yet and everyday i get to hear that it will either reach today or tomorrow. I also reached to Tata Motors regional sales office and they told me that it will reach dealership maximum by 3rd or 4th June. Today, i called the dealership and they said car has not reached yet but will be reaching today and you can take delivery on Monday. They told me multiple reason for delay, 1st they told me that Driver of truck got tested positive for covid cos of which driver has to be changed and car started from MP on 27th May and then they told me that there is some issue goint on with the transporter because of which there is a delay. I somehow not able to believe on their stories and seriously worried if there are issues with the car
Old 5th June 2021, 17:50   #941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi1990 View Post
I somehow not able to believe on their stories and seriously worried if there are issues with the car
Hi Abhi, I hope you have only given booking amount on the car. If yes, you don't have to worry, do a PDI before releasing the full amount.

Due to pandemic, there might be some genuine delay and I will request you to bear. So, ignore the random comments from them.

If you think you have waited enough, simply check with other dealer if they can commit a quicker delivery. Accordingly, you can cancel the booking from current dealer.
Old 5th June 2021, 18:08   #942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Hi Abhi, I hope you have only given booking amount on the car. If yes, you don't have to worry, do a PDI before releasing the full amount.

Due to pandemic, there might be some genuine delay and I will request you to bear. So, ignore the random comments from them.

If you think you have waited enough, simply check with other dealer if they can commit a quicker delivery. Accordingly, you can cancel the booking from current dealer.
Thanks Tjet. since they shared Engine no with me and told me that car would reach dealership by 16th May, i paid my share by 17th May and only loan amount is pending now which i did not clear otherwise i would have been paying the EMI without the car. Also, have clearly told them that i will take pdi after that will do the insurance and then registration. so hoping to do the PDI if car reaches by Monday. I have looped in Tata customer service as well but nobody is able to provide update. I am aware that Pandemic has made it difficult but TATA as a company should be able to communicate 1 final date for arrival of car.
Abhi1990 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 22:30   #943
BHPian

Quote:
I have looped in Tata customer service as well but nobody is able to provide update. I am aware that Pandemic has made it difficult but TATA as a company should be able to communicate 1 final date for arrival of car.
I can completely relate with your predicament. Since the chassis no is already allocated to you, it is less likely that the car will be given to someone else .
But due to this unusual delay, just to make sure that the car is safe and sound during transport, can you ask dealership to share current location and pictures of the car with chassis no . That will help to soothe the nerves a bit.
NitSat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 21:09   #944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitSat View Post
But due to this unusual delay, just to make sure that the car is safe and sound during transport, can you ask dealership to share current location and pictures of the car with chassis no . That will help to soothe the nerves a bit.
I have done everything but have not received any positive response from anyone. I am just surprised to see how unprofessional are these TATA officials. Dealers are saying they don't know where the Car is, Regional office is checking with people in Plant but they are not replying to the regional office and people at Plan do not even care to provide status either to the regional office, Dealership, or the customer. I understand due to Pandemic, trucks might not be allowed to enter into the state but at least they can tell me where the Truck is and my car is safe. I don't have any idea what is happening
Old 7th June 2021, 21:38   #945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, have clearly told them that i will take pdi after that will do the insurance and then registration. so hoping to do the PDI if car reaches by Monday.
Abhi, I do not wish to make you apprehensive. Do not worry as long as you do not make full payment and do a proper delivery. I hope you get your car as soon as possible and without any minute issue.

My only concern is the safety of the truck (indirectly the car). The transportation of a car carries a minor risk of transit damage. Is it possible for you to communicate with your SA that he tells you when the trailer is due to arrive in the dealership stockyard and that you wish to see the car immediately post unloading for your satisfaction? Perhaps you can even witness the unloading process. In case there is some minor damage etc during transport, it is rectified after unloading the car at the dealership.

It is strange that the truck is having such a prolonged delay in reaching the dealership and nobody is having any clue.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks