Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2021, 21:56   #1021
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by raamki View Post
Three months after booking, finally took possession of my safari yesterday.
Congrats on getting the Safari home. the adventure persona edition without the chrome looks so much better. They should have provided an all black interiors to go with the exterior theme.

The stitches may have come off when the plastics covering the seats would have been pulled off really hard. If not, it is simply not acceptable to have such finish.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 22:34   #1022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats on getting the Safari home. the adventure persona edition without the chrome looks so much better. They should have provided an all black interiors to go with the exterior theme.

The stitches may have come off when the plastics covering the seats would have been pulled off really hard. If not, it is simply not acceptable to have such finish.
Thank you! Yeah would have definitely liked an all black or maybe a tan colored upholstery like in the harrier. I was very careful with taking the plastics off the seats this morning. I tried to stretch the fabric on either sides of the area in question on the seat, to me it looks like the stitching is intact, just seems like a very crude finish. I also hope this wasn't damage at the dealership level, the SA cannot tell from the picture but is apologetic. The guys at the dealership also seemed to have used ordinary wet cloth to wipe over the central console area in an effort to get the car delivery ready. Full of dried water mark and smudges.
Old 27th June 2021, 00:32   #1023
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! Yeah would have definitely liked an all black or maybe a tan colored upholstery like in the harrier. I was very careful with taking the plastics off the seats this morning. I tried to stretch the fabric on either sides of the area in question on the seat, to me it looks like the stitching is intact, just seems like a very crude finish. I also hope this wasn't damage at the dealership level, the SA cannot tell from the picture but is apologetic. The guys at the dealership also seemed to have used ordinary wet cloth to wipe over the central console area in an effort to get the car delivery ready. Full of dried water mark and smudges.
I have a Safari with me, will check the seats if this one too has the same issues. I have seen the dealership people pulling the plastic covers out as if it was competition to show off their strength.

Smudge marks on the piano black plastics and trims is a pain. Needs constant wiping and any bad wiping methods will cause marring/scratches which cannot be removed.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 09:12   #1024
BHPian

Congratulations @El-Professor and @Raamki, for the new Safaris. Both the car shades look absolutely smashing.
Even though the Safari is one of the biggest head Turner in this segment, in terms of proportionate looks , great engine specifications and drive quality, people are still hesitant about joining the Tata Stable . There are just too many QC issues with the new cars which are difficult to overlook. In comparison, the fit and finish of Hyundai cars are much impeccable. Even MG , despite its Chinese roots, has sorted this aspect better than Tata.
It is clearly showing in the sales figures. I feel they have to overhaul their QC team asap. Because bad reputation does not take time to spread.
NitSat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 12:52   #1025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitSat View Post
Congratulations @El-Professor and @Raamki, for the new Safaris. Both the car shades look absolutely smashing.
Even though the Safari is one of the biggest head Turner in this segment, in terms of proportionate looks , great engine specifications and drive quality, people are still hesitant about joining the Tata Stable . There are just too many QC issues with the new cars which are difficult to overlook. In comparison, the fit and finish of Hyundai cars are much impeccable. Even MG , despite its Chinese roots, has sorted this aspect better than Tata.
It is clearly showing in the sales figures. I feel they have to overhaul their QC team asap. Because bad reputation does not take time to spread.
Thank you! True, precisely what I have mentioned in my email to customer care @ tata as well along with the dealership in copy. I am also expecting them to address the stitching issue with the front passenger seat, will update when I hear back.

On the bright side, I have a roundtrip to Chennai coming up next weekend, eagerly waiting for the week to pass to experience my first long drive on the safari.
Old 27th June 2021, 20:14   #1026
BHPian

Hi All, few days after taking the delivery of the car, i have given it for PPF, and since i have got the video today, thought of sharing it with the group to help others with the process.

[url="
Abhi1990 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 11:49   #1027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi1990 View Post
Hi All, few days after taking the delivery of the car, i have given it for PPF, and since i have got the video today, thought of sharing it with the group to help others with the process.

[url="https://Youtu.be/-4NRKjBN1sw"]
Oddly satisfying, the whole process. I did not imagine it will entail removing both tail lamp assemblies. Quite a comprehensive task.
Just one question though, why did they do paint restoration on a brand new car? Or paint restoration is not what I'm thinking..
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 14:15   #1028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Just one question though, why did they do paint restoration on a brand new car? Or paint restoration is not what I'm thinking..
So, for other cars, they do remove headlights as well but for Harrier/Safari, it's not possible to remove the headlight unit, that's why they only removed tail lights and yes it is part of the process to remove the door handles, taillights for proper fitment of the PPF. Also, the reason for the polish is that you want your paint surface to be as perfect as possible before the PPF is applied.
Abhi1990 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 17:01   #1029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi1990 View Post

[url="https://Youtu.be/-4NRKjBN1sw"]
Damages please? This is galaxy right?
Old 28th June 2021, 21:26   #1030
BHPian

I was quoted 1.65 lakh for full PPF , by a leading studio at kharadi, Pune . Way out of budget for me. I thought I could get entire car repainted in lesser amount.
Old 28th June 2021, 23:50   #1031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitSat View Post
I was quoted 1.65 lakh for full PPF , by a leading studio at kharadi, Pune . Way out of budget for me. I thought I could get entire car repainted in lesser amount.
Nothing short of insane. Just like many other things there this must be IT hub effect.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 06:48   #1032
BHPian

Looks great! Just a curious question. I understand PPF protects from minor scratches, swipes etc but what happens in case of a dent? Does the film stretch with the dent?
Old 29th June 2021, 09:00   #1033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I am wondering if this has any connection with our process of washing the cars at home. Especially high roofline vehicles where the person actually stands on the rear or front tyre and applies pressure on the roof for securing balance while using the other hand to clean the glass.Is it possible that repeated stress of this sort can lead to a structural deterioration?
Generally sunroofs are quite sturdy. However there are several documented cases of spontaneous sunroof/moonroof explosions. These occur mainly due repeated heating/cooling of glass which has some impurities within (during manufacturing). However it is not a frequent occurance and no serious injuries or deaths have occurred so far.

Quote:
Looks great! Just a curious question. I understand PPF protects from minor scratches, swipes etc but what happens in case of a dent? Does the film stretch with the dent?
PPF will rip open during a scratch also, forget a dent. Anyway inorder to repair a dent one must remove the PPF , fill up the dent, sand and paint the body panel, and then reapply the PPF
AirbusCapt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 10:26   #1034
BHPian

Wow, that sounds like a lot of effort and associated cost.

Ive been pondering about even getting a basic ceramic coating done but sitting on it because I've never really done this on any of my previous cars. Casually enquired with my SA about this service at the dealership and he asked me to stay clear of it going on to suggest that the factory paint if cared for properly (good washing practices) will last a long time and that I don't really need this add on especially since I have a covered parking. Do want to get an oleophobic coating done for all the glasses though.

Meanwhile, Tata has apologized for the interior quality issues in my car and have assured me that the seat stitching issue will be taken care of. Been putting some decent kms the last couple of days since restrictions eased, loving the driving experience so far. Auto hold is amazing in b2b traffic!

Last edited by raamki : 29th June 2021 at 10:39. Reason: Typo
raamki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 12:16   #1035
BHPian

The problem with PPF , is despite paying obscene amount, one is never sure whether genuine accessories have been used. There are lot of cheaper varieties available. And for a novice, it’s very difficult to check.
Besides, as AirbusCapt pointed out, repairing post PPF is pain . And the patchwork may not match the rest of the body.

Most Viewed