Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2021, 16:37   #1111
BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdevanand View Post
Hi Neil

We wish you get over this problem as soon as possible. That feeling spoils the entire mood of the journey :-(.

Just a checklist for you to work on
1. Hope you have removed all the PLASTIC COVERS on seats . These are the major causes of that new car smell.
Increase your checklist with inputs from other TeamBhpians. We should be able to get you out of this very soon. Good Luck.

Regards
Dev
Actually, I removed the plastics immediately on delivery. I drove the Safari from chennai to nagercoil and back last week in fresh air mode and the car was parked outside only. The rubber mats were disposed off too. The Aftermarket mats were washed and dried before my trip. I think it's the plastic quality or maybe the fabric seats. I never had this experience in the last 4 new cars that I bought.
The Rat chasing machine is a high frequency device. Nothing chemical about it. Maybe its a one off case in my safari only. As you rightly said, it's spoiling the new car experience.

Last edited by Neil Roy : 19th July 2021 at 16:40. Reason: adding further details
Old 19th July 2021, 16:52   #1112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Hi, Regarding the Innova Vs safari on ride comfort alone, I give my perceptions. I test drove the Innova crysta and the Safari back to back before zeroing on the safari on ride comfort alone. On the utility, seats, space on offer, city drivability ( Innova width is lesser than the Safari) Innova wins hands down. Also the Innova is a workhorse which can take abuse for lacs and lacs of kms without complaining. Safari being called as rugged is a joke. It is flimsy and a monocoque is in no way a comparison to a ladder on frame chassis in terms of life.
You seem to give all points to the Innova and have gone in for the Safari. Why?? Is the ride comfort really all that good over the Innova for one to choose the Safari. Agreed Safari is the butch looking car of the two. Just my doubt. Did the price differential play your part over choosing Safari over the Innova?
Old 19th July 2021, 17:12   #1113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
You seem to give all points to the Innova and have gone in for the Safari. Why?? Is the ride comfort really all that good over the Innova for one to choose the Safari. Agreed Safari is the butch looking car of the two. Just my doubt. Did the price differential play your part over choosing Safari over the Innova?
Drive and ride comfort were my most important priorities. Automatic,7 seater was the pre-requisite. Took an extensive test ride with 7 people back to back before zeroing in Safari. Body roll in Safari is minimal compared to Innova(my personal opinion). Of course looks do play a part
I change cars every 4 years to avail depreciation and hence I did not need a vehicle which lasts forever, (read toyota).
Price on AT for Innova and Safari were near similar give or take a lac.
Neil Roy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 19:46   #1114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Innova is taller and boxier, it will always be more spacious than Safari and therefore the space is not comparable - Innova is better by a lot. For starters Innova is an 8 seater. Safari may have other redeeming features like I said earlier, the Looks and sunroof etc but space , Innova is simply better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolHead2272 View Post
Yes I haven't experienced the new Safari yet, i'll be going to check out the new one soon enough.

I would also like to apologize to call someone's opinion wrong. I respect everyone's opinions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
I would say that your entire approach to this subject is wrong. The gentleman you quoted said something on the basis of his experience in both the vehicles. Now your opinion and experiences may differ from his. But you can only reach that conclusion once you have experienced both the vehicles personally (I am assuming you haven't experienced the Safari from your post. Do correct me if I am wrong.). A salesman's word holds lesser value than a pack of biscuits. You would not want to base your 25 Lakh rupees purchase on that.

The Innova has larger boot space than the Safari because it is a longer vehicle. That's it. The space in all the 3 rows are comparable in both vehicles (The Safari has a much better 3rd row and the Crysta has a touch wider 2nd row).
It seemed my comment about comparing Innova and Safari has sparked a debate on the topic so I feel I owe some explanation.
I'm 6'3" so I give this input from my pov. I can't fit in the 3rd row of Innova unless I move the mid row seats completely forward which leaves them impractical for most people. However, I can easily sit in comfort in the 3rd row of Safari and I have done so few times over 2-3 hrs in one stretch without much issue. Same with the front passenger seat- Innova Crysta has a weird angular dash design which pokes at my right knee so its not a comfortable place to sit, no such issues in Safari for me. Innova suspension is very well tuned for comfort in 2nd row seats but there is still considerable amount of body roll due to a taller seating position and BoF setup, which adds to discomfort. Safari suspension setup reacts much better to undulations and rough roads with better controlled body rolls. Again its subjective but I've experienced this myself and family members have also confirmed this observation.
On top of this Safari has better controlled NVH levels, better automatic options, more punchy engine, far far better sound system compared to Crysta, and ofcourse other misc. features depending on the variant which are a big plus if you are looking for such options.

On the other hand, being fair to Crysta, Innova will always offer better peace of mind with its reliability and resale value. For practical purposes, it has larger boot so you can actually take luggage with your passengers for 1-2 days trip with all seats occupied which remains a challenge in Safari.

Finally, I'd say that for prospective buyers take a decision based on what you want vs need, and what you feel comfortable putting your hard earned money on. This being Team BHP, I see a huge bias toward Innova and it seems that answer to every question is either - go buy an Innova, or you should have bought an Innova. even when question is regarding hatchbacks or 2 wheelers

As an actual owner of Safari, I took the decision after taking sufficient long TDs with family to reassure comfort, stability and build quality. Also for me, Innova was not in consideration because it's an MUV. If I was going to be driven around, sure Innova is great, but between myself and missus we do most of the driving ourselves so we wanted a vehicle which isn't a taxi, and Innova doesn't fit the bill. It seems like a small point, but as an owner of a WagonR, I don't remember how many times I've been stopped by police or security guards asking if I'm from Uber or Ola. I even made a mistake of asking a new guard at my office who stopped me from entering if I looked like a taxi driver to him. The silence and puzzled look was worse than an actual answer

P.S. - no offence meant to any existing Innova owners at all. I'm sure it's serving you all very well.
CoffeeBeans is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 21:50   #1115
BHPian

Honestly don't understand the point of comparing space between a minivan and SUV - a pure boxy shape will always liberate more volume. From small cars like the new WagonR to minivans like Innova, they make the best utilisation of footprint.

OT : If one needs to upgrade spacewise from Innova, may I suggest the Carnival instead of the Safari ?
Old 19th July 2021, 23:28   #1116
BHPian

I am currently considering Safari. Since boot space is next to nil, having a luggage carrier on the roof is important, so the XZA+ is a non starter. So XZA it is. But am finding it difficult to justify shelling out 25 lakhs on that.

Innova crysta has weird variant distribution. For me, bench seat in the middle is must, and I want at least 6 airbags when spending a fortune. Innova doesn't provide this combo. So the only viable options are Safari and upcoming XUV700.
pseudo_coder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 22:15   #1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsingh70 View Post
Hi,

I am all set to go in for SAFARI XZA . Did the test drives . finalised the color.
Mentally prepared and convinced myself to handle niggles and famed service support of TATA's. Financially prepared to stretch from Tata Harrier to TATA Safari Infact the stretch is quiet a big from Hyundai Creta to TATA Safari.
Heart says go for it , Mind says ..wait for some more time and see the XUV 700 launch and then take a call .

Need help...Is it worth waiting for XUV 700 ?
Update on my last post. Finally the heart takes over the head. Booked Safari XZA . i am not a fan of sunroof hence XZA+ was not considered. I decided not to wait for XUV 700 and went for Safari.
Hope my decision pays out well .
dsingh70 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 22:21   #1118

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
I am currently considering Safari. Since boot space is next to nil, having a luggage carrier on the roof is important, so the XZA+ is a non starter. So XZA it is. But am finding it difficult to justify shelling out 25 lakhs on that.

Innova crysta has weird variant distribution. For me, bench seat in the middle is must, and I want at least 6 airbags when spending a fortune. Innova doesn't provide this combo. So the only viable options are Safari and upcoming XUV700.
Hi,
I was in a similar situation few days back and i closed by booking safari XZA today. Innova was over stretch for me and was not inclined to buy a MPV. For me , trusting XuV 700 and awaiting feedback on niggles and behaviour would have added 6-8 months to timeline and also it may be in similar price bracket of innova.
However if you are ready to wait for few more months and also be ready to stretch similar or higher fortune on M&M the you may choose to wait for XUV 700.
dsingh70 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 23:56   #1119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsingh70 View Post
However if you are ready to wait for few more months and also be ready to stretch similar or higher fortune on M&M the you may choose to wait for XUV 700.
Given how M&M is teasing a new feature of XUV700 every few days, 15 Aug launch looks likely. So I have decided to wait. Even if I don't decide to buy the XUV, its launch may impact Safari bookings, and hence some discounts could be offered.
pseudo_coder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 13:14   #1120
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

My car has arrived to yard and ready for delivery after PDI.
Anyone has availed extended warranty of 3 years for 30K.
Car comes with 2 years company warranty and additional 3 years warranty sums up to 5 years warranty in total.
whether 30K is worth to invest?

As well, no accessories are readily available here in my native dealership and i have asked them to arrange at least mudflaps and carpet mats for safari AT.

any points to be keenly watched during PDI?

Mostly i'll take delivery by next week.
Old 22nd July 2021, 13:55   #1121
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post

As well, no accessories are readily available here in my native dealership and i have asked them to arrange at least mudflaps and carpet mats for safari AT.

any points to be keenly watched during PDI?

Mostly i'll take delivery by next week.
In Bangalore the accessorie(s) arrived a few weeks back, while our vehicle arrived in March - the mud flap arrived last week - It fits well, nicely integrates with the design , but not necessarily useful as a mud flap.

Side step and carpet is pending.

Trouble is its already paid for, else we could have ordered carpets from Elegant. If you have not paid for the carpet already, purchase it from Elegant, I checked with them on Whatsapp in march and they said its available on order. They make excellent carpet mats.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 14:14   #1122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Hi All,

My car has arrived to yard and ready for delivery after PDI.
Anyone has availed extended warranty of 3 years for 30K.
Car comes with 2 years company warranty and additional 3 years warranty sums up to 5 years warranty in total.
whether 30K is worth to invest?
Please go ahead with purchasing the extended warranty. It gives extended peace of mind. 30k for 3 years for a car costing 25+ lakh is a no brainer.
Avinash_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 14:46   #1123
BHPian

TATA SAFARI production crossed 10,000 units, production commenced on 14th January 2021. OmegaARC platform production estimates at 52,000 units now.
2021 Tata Safari Review-20210722_130712.jpg
TorqueIndia is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 23:43   #1124
BHPian

Took delivery of XZA+ 10 days ago and loving the stunning beast.

I have covered 900KMs so far with a beautiful drive to Coorg. The control and the power are top-class and make one feel secure.

Car, as a mechanical entity: Top-class
Car, as an experience: A bit underwhelming with few niggles showing up, esp on the instrument/infotainment side.

After the first service and fixing few niggles (sigh), I will post a detailed ownership review. For now, here is the onerous-ship review.

I am facing these issues and need your help in diagnosing/defining the problem statement.

Mechanical Issues:

1) The co-driver door needs to be slammed really hard.

2) There is a definite braking sound that has gotten less creaky since day 1. Boy, the feeling is not great. The first time I applied brake just outside the showroom and the sound of two metals gnashing sank my heart. Glad it only got better. Will it go away after the 1st service?

3) Accelerator seems to be harder than needed.

4) At slow speeds, I can feel the drag/weight of the machine. At high speeds, the beast is unleashed and I feel the power. Fun to drive car at high speeds, despite the size/weight.

Instrument/Infotainment Issues

1) TPMS error: After getting the air filled at a Shell bunk, the TPMS showed false alert and the PSI as 31 while the attendant re-did the entire exercise and the meter was again set at 33. The warning message vanished after 100KMs.

2) Erratic volume at high speeds: If this is a design to overcome NVH, I want to disable it. At highspeeds, the volume gets louder.

3) Android Auto: It does not always connect and when it does, a watermark "Preproduction Hardware : Not for resale" shows up. Apps like Spotify do not open though they are available on the connected phone.

Overall: Happy with the buy and confident that these niggles will be fixed.

2021 Tata Safari Review-img_20210718_161317.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-img_20210718_1613232.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-img_20210718_1613352.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-img_20210718_1615524.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-img_20210718_1615572.jpg
gk.pavan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 10:49   #1125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post

If your requirement is to have sufficient luggage space while carrying 7 passengers, I'm afraid Safari will not fit your requirements and so will be the case with XUV, especially if you compare with Innova level of boot space no current suv will come close.
CoffeeBeans is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks