Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2021, 19:37   #1366
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Gold comes home on Dhanteras.

Just glimpses for now, for anybody wanting to get a peek into color and make choice.

It looks absolutely Stellar, no doubt, discounting the overdone Gold.

We would have definitely preferred the true pure Black Edition. However, this color is amazingly appealing in person too.

Tyres are Bridgestone Ecopia EP850, 235/60 R18 103V.

Absolutely odd size and low tyre height for the mammoth. Sadly, Geolandars G015 don't come in this size. Both Innovas take on all sorts of terrains with the G015 205/65 R15 96H shoes, just 8mm shorter than these EP850. Lets see how these perform.

Just waiting for its Number Plate to arrive and start cruising.

2021 Tata Safari Review-img20211103wa0008.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-img20211103wa0018.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-img20211103wa0019.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-img20211103wa0020.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-img20211103wa0021.jpg

Parting for now with a Wide Golden Grin

2021 Tata Safari Review-img20211103wa0022.jpg

Last edited by parsh : 3rd November 2021 at 19:40.
parsh is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 19:59   #1367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post

It looks absolutely Stellar, no doubt, discounting the overdone Gold.
Congrats Parsh on bringing the beast home. I wish Tata consider providing the different editions as option packs instead of trying to straitjacket people like this. I purchased Adventure Persona primarily for the blacked chrome areas and the sand coloured seats. The Tropical Mist colour was a bonus given they did not have a silver option.
nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 20:50   #1368
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Absolutely odd size and low tyre height for the mammoth. Sadly, Geolandars G015 don't come in this size. Both Innovas take on all sorts of terrains with the G015 205/65 R15 96H shoes, just 8mm shorter than these EP850. Lets see how these perform.
Congratulations on the new ride

Those tires are very good for road use. They are not very forgiving when the road gets rough unlike the Geolandars.

You will find good number of road biased options due to this being OE size for XUV5OO.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 00:09   #1369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Apologies for incorrect detailing above, my slackness and ignorance.

G015 on Innova are 205/70 R15 96H.

That makes their tyre height of 143.5 as against EP850 tyre height of 141.

That makes G015 2.5 mm taller than EP850 ignoring all other aspects, although there are other important aspects as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
Congrats Parsh on bringing the beast home. I wish Tata consider providing the different editions as option packs instead of trying to straitjacket people like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Congratulations on the new ride

Those tires are very good for road use. They are not very forgiving when the road gets rough unlike the Geolandars.

You will find good number of road biased options due to this being OE size for XUV5OO.
Thank you nainan and Kosfactor.

Indeed, Tata should have made better editions/options available unlike the bling bling Gold and better color options too. Friend owns a Blazing Red Harrier and how I wished sometimes, the Safari too came in that.

Well, the EP850 shouldn't be too much of issue but definitely there are concerns.

I know there will be tyre contentions aplenty if we start diverging into it and very much know what these could entail having seen up close all sorts in Original Safari, XUV500, Fortuner and our own Innova sisters.

However, we have conquered rougher terrains with end of life balding B390s, accounts of which would rather sound like a joke. That is when Innova truly shined aided by proper maneuvering. Yet, I would very much like to do all these terrains on the G015s than anything else.

Safari or not, Gravitas was something always in eyesight since its expo alongwith XUV700. We will soon see true grit of the car in all sorts of terrains.
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 13:19   #1370
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on the Safari ! Wishing you many happy miles with it. The gold looks overdone in pictures but I've seen it in person and it looks so well on the black color, especially in night ! . Do share some interior pictures as well
Akshay6988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 20:49   #1371
BHPian

Are Safari XE and Harrier XE ORVMs same (both manual)?

I broke the left ORVM of my Safari, and am not able to find it anywhere. Boodmo has one for Harrier XE, will it fit?

Regards

Nitin
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Tata Safari Review-screenshot_2021110620463179_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg  

Old 7th November 2021, 12:12   #1372
BHPian

Hey guys, I've been in the market for a 7 seater to replace my ageing Safari Storme for quite some time now. The new Safari fits the bill but I've been silently hoping for some concrete info on a possible Safari 2022 update with a better infotainment system, less chrome and a darker theme inside. In short, a #Dark variant with a revamped infotainment system!

I was patiently waiting up until now and was happy with my Storme, but I guess its the end of the road for the old buddy.

My dilemma is, should I wait some more for the updated Safari or should I take the plunge and settle for the current version? Is there anything on the cards in the Jan-Feb timeframe since it'll be an year since the launch by then?
Old 7th November 2021, 20:27   #1373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyguy View Post
Is there anything on the cards in the Jan-Feb timeframe since it'll be an year since the launch by then?
Cant say for sure but going by the Harrier and by the response to the XUV I would expect an update. If nothing else they might launch another edition. If I were in your place I would wait.

The Adventure Persona is the only de-chromed version you get as of now
nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 11:18   #1374
BHPian

XUV700 vs Safari - a battle which I never thought would bother me

I have been looking out to upgrade my car from 2019. Two years and many lockdowns later, the search still continues. My options are listed below:

1. Kia Seltos Diesel AT - The obvious first thing which comes to anyone's mind are the Seltos/ Creta twins. I can't stand by the looks of the Creta and hence went with the Seltos. I even gave 25k and booked one, since the sales representative mentioned that the waiting period is 7 months for the GTX+ variant. My take was that the XUV700 would be too expensive, considering the XUV500's price point. And then everything went down the drain with the announcement of the XUV700. I cancelled my booking and waited for the official launch of the 700.

2. XUV700 AX7L Diesel AT - Went ahead and booked one, considering the huge demand. I took a test drive of the car recently - the AT as well as the MT diesel. Took the MT diesel for a spin first and found that the engine was a bit crude and noise filtered into the cabin more than I liked. I felt it to be unimpressive in terms of overall drivability.
I insisted for an AT and it came home for a test drive. The NVH was better in the AT, somehow (may be due to less interaction with the mechanicals - like clutch, gear lever etc.). The first thing which I noticed is the gearbox tuning - I felt it to be tuned to be matched with a smaller engine. The AT gearbox kept the engine on the boil more than what is required (personal opinion). I don't drive pedal to the metal - only part throttle. When that's the driving style, on road performance is only just about adequate. Noise insulation was also not great, and there were noticeable vibrations on steering wheel at higher revs. In inclines too, the gearbox opted for a lower gear than what is actually required by the engine, which was not to my liking. One other point is that gearbox fails to keep the engine at it's best powerband in part throttle. I felt that the 450 NM of torque was lost somewhere and in-gear acceleration was not impressive.

The dilemma - I came back home and started thinking about other cars I had driven. In my mind, I recollected the Harrier test drive I had taken some 10 months ago - It was better than the XUV700 and it got me thinking.

Safari XZA+ - I could not resist, but take a test drive of the Safari the very next day. Step inside the cabin, and I felt it to be a tad bit more welcoming and luxurious than the 700. It looked old school, rather than tech heavy. During the drive, my thoughts were found to be right. The acceleration was very good. Engine and gearbox were well tuned which meant that the engine was in it's sweet spot 80% of the time. NVH was miles ahead of the 700 - I felt that the damping is better in the Safari. Even though down by a 100nm in terms of torque, it felt faster than the 700 and was more usable. Ride and handling was neck and neck with XUV with the Safari being a bit more silent in potholes.

Where XUV700 gains:
1. The large touch screen and the digital instrument cluster
2. 360 degree camera - this helps a lot in tight situations
3. Ease of drive - once inside, the XUV shrinks to the size of a hatchback. Coupled with light steering, it felt car like to drive.
4. Active safety features - ADAS
5. A slight bit larger boot space with all rows up

Where XUV700 and Safari are neck and neck
1. Handling and ride quality - I could not tell the difference (even in the 2nd and third row)
2. Braking - was very good on both cars
3. Sound system - The Sony and JBL are neck and neck here. Though I felt that Safari's JBL system had more punch in lower volumes, while 700's Sony is better at higher volume levels.
4. Seat comfort levels - even in third row are comparable between the two

Where the Safari is better:
1. Engine and gearbox - felt much faster despite lower figures
2. NVH levels - for some reason, the Safari is better and feels more expensive
3. Door pads looks and feels more expensive than the 700. The dashboard too looks old school (with soft touch top layer) and adds a sense of luxury (personal opinion)

I am now inclining towards spending a lot of money on a flagship Tata product. I really want to buy the 700, being a newer and tech heavy car (niggles aside ) I expect more issues in 700 than Safari, since it has been almost a year since the launch of the Safari.

Has anyone here driven both the 700 and Safari? Did you feel the same or is there a different view point.

Hope the ownership experience won't be a hassle with the Tata service centers.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Tata Safari Review-34268851231a4c478bdae7e338dfe45f.jpeg  

2021 Tata Safari Review-212cc4ab58844d5896882ec750cfc9f9.jpeg  

Last edited by NotanF1driver : 8th November 2021 at 11:20. Reason: Added pictures
NotanF1driver is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 11:29   #1375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotanF1driver View Post

Has anyone here driven both the 700 and Safari? Did you feel the same or is there a different view point.
In my opinion,
Looks - Subjective
Ride Quality - Safari>XUV
Space in 2nd and 3rd row - Safari>XUV
Feeling of Robustness - Safari>XUV
Technology - XUV>>Safari
Cabin Ambience - XUV≈Safari
Engine GB combo - XUV≈Safari
Now, it all boils down to the price. This is where XUV has the upper hand, the Petrol option helps it further. Due to the 10 year rule in Delhi NCR, we are looking at the Petrol version and that is coming out to be a lot cheaper upfront + gives 5 years extra lifetime over diesel. If there are no budget constraints and you're fine with a diesel, Safari feels to be a more solid choice and is a proper 7 seater, given you can compromise on a bit of tech.
quantobigboot is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 12:06   #1376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have driven Harrier AT on highway and it feels pretty planted even at triple digit speeds. I am sure Safari is no different. XUV AT even though I could not driven on highway, I felt it masks its size very well for city driving. In Harrier you feel you are driving a big car while XUV just wraps you.

However, the biggest downers for me in Harrier-Safari are:
1. Lack of GNCAP testing. Given how proactive TaMo has been test crashing all their lineup except these 2 coupled with reports of its poor crash worthiness because of fuel filter position just puts me off spending 25-28L on this. The shock of an Aus 5 star Seltos scoring barely 3 here is still fresh in my mind

2. The infotainment system froze 3 times in my 20 mins drive. Also its quite basic if you compare it to XUV's crystal clear screens. Function score over form no doubt but freezing a basic screen on 25L car is something that speaks about the quality checks

Apart from these 2 issues, I find both cars quite good for what they offer. I hope XUV7OO gets crash tested soon enough to claim the first point I mentioned here

Last edited by neoonwheels : 8th November 2021 at 12:08.
neoonwheels is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 14:09   #1377
BHPian

Quote:

Engine and gearbox were well tuned which meant that the engine was in it's sweet spot 80% of the time. NVH was miles ahead of the 700 - I felt that the damping is better in the Safari. Even though down by a 100nm in terms of torque, it felt faster than the 700 and was more usable.
Very well expressed. We did the same test and came to the same conclusion. Safari is far better to drive. We were already planning to buy the Safari as we weren't really sold on the XUV's looks, but driving it just removed any confusion that existed. Now the question is, when will the 2022 update Safari be launched? The current offering still feels a little bit unfinished, especially when you talk about the infotainment system. An AWD wouldn't hurt either!
grimmreaper_gtr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 15:49   #1378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmreaper_gtr View Post
Now the question is, when will the 2022 update Safari be launched?
I thought Safari gold edition update was Tata's answer to the feature rich rivals. Gold edition gets ventilated seats in the front and back. XZ (A) + models (along with the gold editions) got wireless android auto, apple carplay and wireless charging recently.

Is an updated version expected soon - in the next 3 month's time frame?
Old 8th November 2021, 22:10   #1379
BHPian

Quote:
Gold edition gets ventilated seats in the front and back. XZ (A) + models (along with the gold editions) got wireless android auto, apple carplay and wireless charging recently.

Is an updated version expected soon - in the next 3 month's time frame?
I was on the same boat waiting for the 2022 update of Safari and in the meantime also getting time to get real customer reviews for XUV 700.

Almost all the features added in the Gold are good except the Golden front grill, handles and marble interiors . I so wish the Dual Tone White and Black was launched.

But this Diwali weekend when the family got together we realized the 7 seater which we have been delayed for the last year or so due to covid was very much required. Now, considering the budget of 30L max we had 3 options (Crysta / Safari / XUV 700)

1. Somehow my parents did not like the third row of XUV 700 and hence the same was ruled out.

2. Crysta was put on the back burner by my father who was put off by the fact that our local police has 30 innova crysta in their fleet and all the cabs he mostly travels during business visits are Innova Crysta.

So, we have almost zeroed on the Adventure XZA+. I personally feel there might be an updated around the 1st anniversary of Safari but the changes will be mostly cosmetic rather than mechanical. Plus we run the risk of further price increase in Jan considering the input costs have gone up since the last increase in May 21 (The minor increase in Sep 21 was om account of added features i believe).

So we will let the Heart win (considering this might be the last ICE car before the electric age) and take the plunge with Tata Safari this time. Resale might be low but then as it has been said by fellow BHPians if you hold on to your car long enough (10 years approx) resale should not be the topmost concern.
LivingCars is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 15:00   #1380
BHPian

Would recommend the Kia carnival also its better than most alternatives at 30lac point. The engine is not as silent as the Seltos but seems better than my Compass NVH wise.

You can also wait for the JEEP 7 seater to come in the picture.
Brishti is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks