Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2021, 11:26   #136
BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Can I add to the list:

3. I did not see anything to hide the luggage once the last row of seats is folded. That would be an absolute necessity. Also, how will that shield be stored if the 3rd row is in use ...
Old 5th February 2021, 13:29   #137
Senior - BHPian

Naming it Safari is an awesome marketing move by TML. General public started discussing about it now due to the name. I received many pictures and videos of new Safari from few non-car guys via Whatsapp!
It never happened before.

Last edited by Latheesh : 5th February 2021 at 13:30.
Latheesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 14:00   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp View Post
Can I add to the list:

3. I did not see anything to hide the luggage once the last row of seats is folded. That would be an absolute necessity. Also, how will that shield be stored if the 3rd row is in use ...
None of the mainstream 7/8 seaters available in our country doesn't have luggage tray to hide the space with third row folded/occupied. I have seen that only in Kodiaq/Tiguan Allspace duo.
bwildrd#1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 23:02   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Birdie chirps that Tata is preparing to introduce two new colour shades for the Safari:-

1) Stonehenge
2) Camo Green

in addition to the already announced Daytona Grey, Orcus White & Royale Blue colour shades.

The former could be a mix of Gray + Gold + Beige, while the latter might be offered with a special CAMO edition, similar to the Harrier.
RavenAvi. You are always bang on regarding these chirps and we are so very grateful for these scoops!

Could you squeeze the birdie to chirp out if there are any feeble indications of AWD integration going on behind the curtain? Would be of immense help. Thanks !
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 01:40   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varman742 View Post
2. Setup headrest for middle passenger

Safari second row doesn't come with headrest for middle passenger. Is it possible to have it as an add on accessary? I tried searching on the net but only saw neck pillow products.
It will not be a very clean install probably if you want an adjustable one. The trickiest bit is - to install the adjustment rods into the seat back.

Remember, there is a folding arm-rest in that middle seat's back. Which means you have less than half of the foam thickness left to install and hide the headrest mechanism into.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 06:17   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post

Attachment 2118080

Major surprise was the floor hump in the second and third row. I was shocked. Our Innova is a RWD and has a very small hump, but the Safari being a FWD has a big hump.
More than front wheel drive or rear wheel drive, the major difference between the two is that Innova is built on a ladder frame chassis while the Safari is a monocoque.
extreme_torque is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 10:58   #142
Senior - BHPian

The New Safari traction modes demonstrated.

Old 6th February 2021, 11:18   #143
BHPian

Guys! NEWS!
So, I called the nearest dealer to me in Kerala (Hyson Tata) and when I just asked him about the expected price for the Safari, he said that the base option would be starting at 18 and the top end, XZA+ would be going for 23L ex-showroom, which would apparently reach 28 OTR
He said he didn't have a pricing sheet with the breakdowns or on-road pricing yet... but I think we can figure that out.
Old 6th February 2021, 11:34   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I think he means the footwell lights. It's a copy of the Discovery Sport. The mood lighting remains on, even in daytime, these are light strips on the door and central console. The floor lights are on only when headlights are on and a door is open.
Nope, infact, I think Safari doesn't even get Footwell lights. There's only lights in door handles and centre console. And look closely he mentions that lights go out after some time, even if the headlamps are ON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varman742 View Post
I am looking for some inputs and hoping the mods/members can help.!
For both the changes it will void the warranty. IMO not recommended.

Mod Note -Please trim posts when quoting and replying. Also, please edit or multi-quote your replies instead of back to back posts on the same thread.
Request you go through Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 6th February 2021 at 12:56. Reason: Mod note attached.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 15:31   #145
Senior - BHPian

Spotted in Baner today

2021 Tata Safari Review-img20210206wa0011.jpg

Rudra Motors in Viman Nagar has the car and is giving test drives per my TASS guy (had gone over for some post service tweaks / checkup test drive).

The photo has been taken from my brother in law's Creta.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 16:48   #146
BHPian

Did a test drive in navi Mumbai today.

Pros:
1. Great suspension
2. Handy drive modes
3. Very usable 3rd row
4. Great oem audio
5 blue colour looks very premium

Cons:
1. Terrible space management. Can't keep even a laptop bag after 3 rows used
2. Harsh and ugly roar from engine after 2500 rpm
3. Heavy steering between 0-20 speeds

Last edited by Sheel : 6th February 2021 at 17:58. Reason: Typo.
vikram31 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 22:14   #147
BHPian

Got to test drive the safari today.

Observations:

1. Huge waiting at the showroom for test drives. They had 2 test drive cars.
2. The SA told they had around 35 bookings made. Never seen such a busy Tata showroom.
3. The car in blue looks beautiful. I feel none of the pics and YouTube videos are doing justice to its looks.
4. Size is not massive. But good enough to be called a SUV.
5. Felt the interiors to be very premium (I used to drive a GLC and I did find the interiors to be good, of course not at any level closer but still GOOD).
6. The under thigh support felt a little less than what I would like, but is manageable. For reference, I am 6 feet tall.
7. The major drawback is the boot. It is a joke. I am unaware about the limitations in designing a better boot, but what is the point of having 6 or 7 seven comfortable seats when the luggage cannot be taken along.
If at all the seats are to be folded for luggage, what is the point of spending 1-1.5 lakhs( an expected premium as per the SA) over the harrier?
8. The drive is brilliant in all aspects.
db DrivE is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 22:31   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by db DrivE View Post
7. The major drawback is the boot. It is a joke. I am unaware about the limitations in designing a better boot, but what is the point of having 6 or 7 seven comfortable seats when the luggage cannot be taken along.
Safari is already quite large for most Indian metros and increasing footprint further would take it out of consideration for many urban dwellers. 3rd row is split folding, so you do have the flexibility to carry luggage with 6 on board. In addition the roof rails are functional on all models except XZA+ for a load upto 75 kg.
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 00:03   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by db DrivE View Post
The major drawback is the boot. It is a joke. I am unaware about the limitations in designing a better boot, but what is the point of having 6 or 7 seven comfortable seats when the luggage cannot be taken along.
If at all the seats are to be folded for luggage, what is the point of spending 1-1.5 lakhs( an expected premium as per the SA).
Agreed. Still, Safari with bench seats (7 seats) will be better than captain seat version (6 seats) in terms of flexible storage. Sunroof models cant have roof luggage carrier. It seems the goodies (captain seats and sunroof) come with such additional baggage of limitations.

There are situations where frequent short-intermediate distance travel requires more seats without the need for much luggage. Safari is best suited for such usage pattern. For those who do long distance touring with lots of luggage, they can look at other options.

Lastly, some people with nuclear families also buy 7 seater SUVs just because of the road presence. Safari is attractive enough to cater to such crowd.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 7th February 2021 at 00:10.
PaddleShifter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 00:42   #150
BHPian

The extra weight of Safari over the Harrier didn't seem to have effected the mileage. This reviewer got a figure of 19kmpl in city traffic! Watch around the 6:00 min mark. Although for the entire trip he ended up with 13kmpl.
damodar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed