Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2021, 20:23   #751
BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
That's Blue I think, look at the area on bumper below left headlight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk.pavan View Post
Boy! If they launch a dark edition of Safari in the next few weeks, I am sure going to curse myself for not waiting and having
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varunmohan View Post
If its not the "Royal Blue" color, then what could that be? Hope its just the shadows playing the trick and making the color look darker. Else I am gonna kick myself for not waiting and booking white !!!
Sorry for the misinformation. I confirmed with visuals , it's just the Daytona Grey which is looking extra dark in the airport interior. My sincere apologies. I have reported mods to edit original post.

Last edited by 400notout : 13th April 2021 at 20:25.
400notout is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 20:25   #752
BHPian

Hello all, So I got the first service for my car done today. Was able to get some discount as I have registered for TATA SOUL membership. Highly recommend new buyers to do the same before buying accessories and extended warranty as you are eligible for about 7% discounts. Subsequent services are also eligible for 10% against labour and 5% against spares.
You can register for the same at https://soul.tatamotors.com/ although registration on website seems to be broken right now but you can drop an email to soul@tatamotors.com in that case. They will also send you a nice welcome kit with a decal and leather luggage tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
As per the manual, the recommended tyre pressure is given for 3 sizes:

235/70/R16
235/65/R17 - which variant have this size?
235/60/R18

Going by the trend of voting in this thread here
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ge-wheels.html (Tall tyres & regular wheels versus low-profile tyres & large wheels)
, shouldn't the tyres specs on XT and XZ variants be avoided for Indian driving conditions?

Also, the car with 16" rims would have faster pickup than the one with 18" because of lesser unsprung weight of the wheel. Moreover, larger tyre wall height would avoid tyre bulges and rim breaking (alloy).

TATA has just followed the market "trend", and gone ahead with 18" for top versions to improve the looks instead of looking at practicality.
Agree with your points and they do apply for low profile tyres, but I wouldn't call 235/60/R18 exactly low profile. I haven't driven the other variants so maybe not the best answer but the 18 inchers on the Safari are no way uncomfortable or unsuitable for Indian roads, plus they look far better than 16 inchers IMO. Tata has struck good balance between looks and comfort in this one. Also not sure which variant has 17 inchers, Tata website doesn't seem to have detailed info on this.
CoffeeBeans is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 22:43   #753
BHPian

Sorry to hear that folks have not been getting their Adv Persona delivery dates. hope you get some information about delivery quickly. Setting out my dates below, if it's helpful.

I booked at Prerana Motors, Rajajinagar. Had initially booked the Harrier (Nov 5), then moved booking to Gravitas (Nov 10), sight unseen (just some online videos from the Delhi Auto show).

When details of the Safari came in had booked the White top end AT. On the second launch (22 Feb), when Adv Persona was announced, immediately changed to that (and later saw the vehicle color live at the Lalbagh showroom).

Was not provided any details about delivery, but Mar 2 was informed that my car was #1 in list and has been dispatched from factory. Mar 6 went for PDI at the stockyard - saw around 10 Safari parked there - mostly Blue and a few White and Adv Persona.

Took delivery on Mar 10 with a Temporary Registration, since we had a trip to Chikmagalur planned the next day. Was informed I was the first Safari delivery for the showroom.

Got my High Security Registration Plate and Extended warranty on Mar 31.
Spyder is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 08:11   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Regarding the central locking, here is a mention on the same from the official review of Harrier :
Tata Harrier review (Tata Harrier : Official Review)
Thank you @TorqueIndia, the unlocking feature works for the driver side door only. If any passenger wants to get out of vehicle, this feature doesn’t not work and they need to manually unlock and then pull the door handle.

I find the central lock/unlock button to be quite useful.
ashish2135 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 20:02   #755

Initial Ownership Review:

After booking the Tata Safari on the first day when bookings started (Feb 04, 2021), and changing the variant (on Mar 01, 2021) after Adventure Edition was launched, I finally got the delivery of the XZ+ Adventure Edition on Mar 31, 2021 from Kropex Motors in Bangalore.

Launch and Test Drive
As soon as the Safari was launched as, well, the Safari on Jan 26, we had made up our mind to buy it. We test drove the Hector also (the only other 7 seater option in this segment - Fortuner, etc were out of budget), but liked the Safari more. Specifically, better handling, more comfortable last row, better interiors, drive modes, and better over-all looks decided in favour of Safari. Also the fact that it was Tata (an Indian company) tilted the scales. The only thing I liked about the Hector more was more trunk space with last row up, but that was not a deal-breaker.

Once the car was available for test drive, I test drove the manual as well as automatic. Even though the automatic performed well enough, I was not bowled over by it, and instead, was sold on the manual's performance and control. So went with the XZ+ variant.

The wait period was almost 2 months from the time I booked the vehicle to delivery. I had booked the vehicle online on Tata Motors' website. Within a few days, I got a call from Chethan (SA) from Kropex Auto Hosur road branch since I had selected that dealership while booking. I had read mostly unpleasant reviews about Tata Motors dealerships (this is my first Tata car), so I had low expectations to begin with. But overall, the experience was quite good and I was pleasantly surprised. The SA kept me updated on the progress and also answered a lot of my questions patiently.

Inspection and Payment
A few days before allotment the SA gave a heads-up to keep payment ready. Once the car was allotted, I was asked to make the complete payment before the dealership could send it for registration. So I made some initial payment upfront, and the remaining after inspecting the car. Once the car was at the dealership, I went for the inspection. They had kept the car in their uncovered stockyard. Checked the Odometer and it was around 14km or so, so that was fine. There weren't any blemishes on the exterior, but the hand-rest and the passenger seat were a little dirty (!), which the SA assured would be cleaned before delivery. The PDI was also done by the dealership by then and they did not find any issues. After the inspection, I made the remaining payment.

Delivery
It took 3 business days for registration. I had inspected the car on Saturday and delivery was set for Wednesday (Mar 31). I had checked upfront with the SA to make sure that there was no delay and he confirmed it. But once I reached the dealership for delivery with family, I was told that since the RTO servers were down since the day before, they were not able to pay the road tax, and I would not be able to take the delivery. Since I had come with family (had got my son's car seat also with me), not taking delivery was the last option. Instead of getting upset, I asked them politely to keep trying and I was ready to wait. After about 3 hours, the payment did go through at 4pm! The SA and his manager were quite apologetic, and while it wasn't a great experience, I liked the fact that they tried their best and eventually were able to make the payment. A note on the Tata service experience here. I had visited a couple of dealerships (Key Motors, Prerna) for test drives and checking the car. At all times, the experience was very professional. I was always provided with a test drive when I asked for one. The SAs went out of their way to provide good service, like taking me to their stockyard a few distance away to show the Adventure Persona variant.

After this, the delivery process was mostly smooth, but time consuming. I was explained the documents and the features of the car. During key hand-over, confetti was sprayed, which was a nice touch :-) But I think since I was getting the top end model of their top vehicle, maybe a bit more fanfare, such as unveiling it, and maybe hand-over by their store manager, would have been a bit more classy. I personally do not care, but doing such small things may make the delivery experience even better and will help in improving the overall image of Tata Motors. Also, I was given the Harrier manual, since the Safari manuals were not printed yet. Also, there were no Safari specific accessories available yet, so I didn't take any.

We finally took delivery at around 5:30pm and thought of taking it for a spin. But only a couple of kms on, I was not able to change the drive mode. I stopped, turned off the car, started again, and tried again. But this time I saw an error on the dash: "Drive Mode Malfunction". I was able to drive the car, and since I was not far from the dealership, I took it back to them. After diagnosing, they found that the issue was with DEF compartment. To resolve it, they had to run the car for around 20 minutes or so to clean the compartment (I did not completely understand this). I feel this might be one of the things they probably do for new cars and it was missed in my case. I was assured that it will not happen again. After waiting for about 30 minutes, I was able to drive away without any issues.

Experience since delivery
Except for the initial hiccup, the performance of the car has been exemplary. I have driven about 500 kms in the last 15 days, both in city and on highway. Here are my initial views:
1. The handling is pristine and acceleration is great, especially once the initial lag is overcome. Even in city mode, overtaking is easy - I haven't felt the need to use the sports mode much - but it just takes off when using the sports mode (These are my 5 year old's words : "Dad, the car just takes off like an aeroplane in sports mode" :-) )
2. The interiors feel luxurious and spacious. The color combination in the Adventure Persona is good - beige seats may get dirty, but not as much as what the white ones would.
3. The music system is quite good with the JBL speakers, but Bose would have been better :-).
4. This is the first time I am using auto-dimming IRVM, and it works like a charm and is very useful. Auto hold helps a lot in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Electronic parking break is also very convenient to use, but requires a bit getting used to, since it gets applied automatically whenever you turn off the car.
5. A great feature is that the sunroof automatically closes when you lock the car, if you forget to explicitly close it.
6. Android Auto setup was quick and without any issue and works well. The screen could have better response to the touch commands.
7. We already got compliments from friends that the color of the adventure persona is very good and different to what we see on the roads, and that it looks very sporty.
8. I have installed the iRA app, but haven't used it much so cannot comment on that.

There are many other small features which are useful and give a nice touch to the driving experience.

Final Verdict
The Safari wins hearts in looks, driving pleasure and road presence. Tata Motors has hit a home run with this launch. I would absolutely recommend it to family and friends!

2021 Tata Safari Review-img_20210331_163031.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-img_20210331_182446.jpg
bluestreaks is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 08:10   #756
BHPian

The golden hue on the adventure Persona looks absolutely fabulous!

Reminds me of the Paint on the BMW M2.

niggle

Saw this yesterday,

As the boot door closes, the corrugated pipe that carries the wiring for the lights and equipment in the boot door gets crushed in between the boot door and monocoque.
Bad things might happen if the protection gives away.

Pipe I'm referring to:
2021 Tata Safari Review-images.jpeg
Source: Autocar India

Pipe getting crushed:

2021 Tata Safari Review-screenshot_20210414192901_video-player.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-screenshot_20210414192852_video-player.jpg
Source of last two pics: screengrabs from a video I took of the car

Last edited by viXit : 15th April 2021 at 08:13. Reason: Adding sources
viXit is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 08:32   #757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreaks View Post
Initial Ownership Review:
We finally took delivery at around 5:30pm and thought of taking it for a spin. But only a couple of kms on, I was not able to change the drive mode. I stopped, turned off the car, started again, and tried again. But this time I saw an error on the dash: "Drive Mode Malfunction". I was able to drive the car, and since I was not far from the dealership, I took it back to them. After diagnosing, they found that the issue was with DEF compartment. To resolve it, they had to run the car for around 20 minutes or so to clean the compartment (I did not completely understand this). I feel this might be one of the things they probably do for new cars and it was missed in my case. I was assured that it will not happen again. After waiting for about 30 minutes, I was able to drive away without any issues.
Congrats on your new ride and I am sure it turns heads , I've booked the Adventure AT, the car has reached the dealership and awaiting registration, will have mine this wk, Yay!

Was this the DPF regeneration process for a BSIV cars? When the Diesel Particulate Filter gets clogged, there is a process called DPF regeneration that takes ~20 min to get the clogged soot out! But isn't it too early for a new car?

I'd suggest you take the 5 yrs extended warranty for that piece of mind and importantly read the A->Z of the manual those 270 pages ;-)

Wish you many many happy miles!
Old 15th April 2021, 08:56   #758

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Congrats on your new ride and I am sure it turns heads , I've booked the Adventure AT, the car has reached the dealership and awaiting registration, will have mine this wk, Yay!
Thanks! Yes, it does turn heads! Hope you get the car soon :-)

Quote:
Was this the DPF regeneration process for a BSIV cars? When the Diesel Particulate Filter gets clogged, there is a process called DPF regeneration that takes ~20 min to get the clogged soot out! But isn't it too early for a new car?
Yes, that is what it was. I wasn't aware of it while taking delivery, but I have read up on it since. Not sure whether it is required for a new car or not.

Quote:
I'd suggest you take the 5 yrs extended warranty for that piece of mind and importantly read the A->Z of the manual those 270 pages ;-)
I have already taken the 5 year extended warranty. It costed me 28,500.
Old 15th April 2021, 10:18   #759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post

niggle

Saw this yesterday,

As the boot door closes, the corrugated pipe that carries the wiring for the lights and equipment in the boot door gets crushed in between the boot door and monocoque.
Bad things might happen if the protection gives away.
Report it officially. Its a design issue, will get fixed in due time.
Old 15th April 2021, 11:57   #760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Report it officially. Its a design issue, will get fixed in due time.
Any pointers on how to do that?
E-Mail IDs or something of that sort?

I'm not an owner, I have just noticed this issue.
Old 15th April 2021, 12:29   #761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Any pointers on how to do that?
E-Mail IDs or something of that sort?

I'm not an owner, I have just noticed this issue.
If an owner reports that will make the best impact and faster resolution. In the service center, report it as an issue while you go for checkup/service.

Write to TATA customer care with pictures at customercare@tatamotors.com
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 13:22   #762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreaks View Post
My SA informed that Tata Motors is using a special software based lock for Safari that forces the dealers to keep the car for 48 hours to conduct proper and thorough PDI. I had to wait for 48 hours even though the owner of the dealership, who is a family friend, tried to get it delivered one day earlier. Even he wasn't aware of this new rule.
The SA also mentioned that they have to drive the car for 20-30 minutes on the day of delivery to ensure everything is working properly and they did the same for my car. The ODO reading stood at 75 kms.
ashish2135 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 14:08   #763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish2135 View Post
My SA informed that Tata Motors is using a special software based lock for Safari that forces the dealers to keep the car for 48 hours to conduct proper and thorough PDI. I had to wait for 48 hours even though the owner of the dealership, who is a family friend, tried to get it delivered one day earlier. Even he wasn't aware of this new rule.
The SA also mentioned that they have to drive the car for 20-30 minutes on the day of delivery to ensure everything is working properly and they did the same for my car. The ODO reading stood at 75 kms.
I don't think my SA in Gurgaon is even aware if there is such a rule. He just informed me that my car is in transit and after receiving it, they would take 3-4 days to get the registration / HSRP done, post which I would be able to take delivery.
Old 16th April 2021, 10:13   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Well summarized... while i was looking at a 4+2 seater AT in the 30L price point, we are left between TATA Safari or Toyota Innova Crysta, I picked the former in the Adventure variant bench seating, as the price was almost 25% higher for the Crysta ZX AT with added features (massive sunroof), fresher design that sealed the deal!
Sorry for the late reply and congrats for purchasing Safari Adventure Persona variant sir.

Yes, the Safari is nearly Rs.4L cheaper than the Innova Crysta and comes with better features like sunroof, electronic parking brake and has fresh looks than boring Crysta.

BTW, you had sold your Jetta and bought the Safari as the replacement for the Jetta right?
car_guy1998 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 11:17   #765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Sorry for the late reply and congrats for purchasing Safari Adventure Persona variant sir.

Yes, the Safari is nearly Rs.4L cheaper than the Innova Crysta and comes with better features like sunroof, electronic parking brake and has fresh looks than boring Crysta.

BTW, you had sold your Jetta and bought the Safari as the replacement for the Jetta right?
While Crysta is expensive and misses kit, Safari misses on practicality of Crysta. For one, sitting 7 people with luggage will be a problem due to space on offer secondly being unibody, Safari will not perform as well when loaded with 6+folks and luggage. Also note, the white interiors will look good when new but will start showing its age in a year or two. Adventure edition will age better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks