Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2021, 06:21   #1096

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsingh70 View Post
Hi,

Need help...Is it worth waiting for XUV 700 ?
Yes. I'm sure, when you're putting 20+L into a car, you need to wait for the 7OO. However, point to note, there are bound to be niggles in a newly launched ride.. Be it Tata or M&M. We have seen it with the launch of the Harrier and the 5OO. So I would say dont throw caution to the wind.

Regards.
Big_Turbo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 10:26   #1097

Quote:
Originally Posted by red herring View Post
I booked a Safari XZA+ from the TATA dealer My DSM, Kurla in Mumbai in April. I paid an initial booking amount and was informed that the delivery would happen around 10th June. I started following up for the chassis allocation around 1st June and closer to the date of delivery the delivery date was moved and kept moving forward every one week. In early July I got a call from My DSM Kurla to pay some deposit amount so as to secure a vehicle.
I recently got my Safari delivered . Had to wait 4 months after booking . One month into the booking the dealer said that the vehicle is about to be allocated and asked for the entire payment which I did and it was 3 months after that I finally got the vehicle . During this time , I had been chasing the dealer and Tata Motors and I was given to understand the below ,
- There was a shortage in supply , especially the XZA/XZA+ automatic variants that caused excessive delays . This is now getting better .
- Off late , Tata Motors expects the dealers to pay for the car before dispatch as opposed to after the sale . This adds financial pressure on the dealers who try to get additional deposit from the customers . Heard even M&M does it this way now .
- Any escalation to Tata Motors , in turn gets routed to the dealers and the dealers are asked to address the customer concern . In my case the dealer was quite reasonable and did everything that they could to address my issue including providing me a loaner car until my car was delivered .

Quote:
Originally Posted by red herring View Post
My worry is in case the Safari I get develops issues right at the outset and has to be returned, My DSM cannot do jack. The dealer from which he has bought the car wouldn't be able to help me either and I will be stuck with a lemon for life.
Once the car is registered in your name , the dealer is off the hook . Any issues from that time on will have to be handled via the terms of the warranty and this can be done at any authorized Tata Service Center .
ramprebagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 10:53   #1098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramprebagar View Post
- Off late , Tata Motors expects the dealers to pay for the car before dispatch as opposed to after the sale . This adds financial pressure on the dealers who try to get additional deposit from the customers . Heard even M&M does it this way now .
This is how the entire auto industry works. No OEM provides cars on credit. The dealer is billed the car only after they have fully paid for it.

Dealers will come out with all kinds of sorry stories to make you pay upfront before even seeing the car.
Old 19th July 2021, 11:34   #1099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBeans View Post
1st and 3rd row comfort in Safari is far better than Innova due to more space and 2nd row is a tie, both are equally comfortable.
I'd say you're wrong.

With this question in mind, I called up the salesman of Tata.
Here's the conversation that took place (translated in English) -

SM - Hello sir
ME - Hi, I would like to inquire about the comfort of the Tata safari, is it comfortable?
SM - Yes sir, of course it is comfortable.
ME - My current drive is an Innova, kindly tell me if the Safari is quite as much comfortable as the Innova?
SM - No sir, the safari doesn't offer the amount of comfort offered by the Innova.
ME - Can you explain a bit?
SM - Yes sir, safari is a more rugged car than the Innova. The Innova's USP is definitely the comfort whereas safari isn't as comfortable as Innova. You see, The Safari is an SUV and an overall rugged car.
("Sir Safari mein Innova jitna comfort nahi hai, per gaddi yeh rugged hai or iska USP comfort nahi hai.").

The conversation went on for about a minute more, but the salesman was just beating around the bush trying to convince me that although the Innova is more comfortable, the Safari is a rugged SUV.

Now if a salesman is saying all of this, how can I possibly ignore the fact that Innova is more comfortable?
Old 19th July 2021, 12:21   #1100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolHead2272 View Post
The conversation went on for about a minute more, but the salesman was just beating around the bush trying to convince me that although the Innova is more comfortable, the Safari is a rugged SUV.

Now if a salesman is saying all of this, how can I possibly ignore the fact that Innova is more comfortable?
If you are looking for something with Innova space, you called the wrong dealership. This is a cool looking vehicle with a big sunroof, there is nothing in there for an Innova customer.

Innova has more space everywhere including the boot and as the road gets rough the Innova`s suspension goes about doing its work quietly.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 12:28   #1101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
If you are looking for something with Innova space, you called the wrong dealership. This is a cool looking vehicle with a big sunroof, there is nothing in there for an Innova customer.

Innova has more space everywhere including the boot and as the road gets rough the Innova`s suspension goes about doing its work quietly.
Having used the 1st generation Innova (type 2) for more than eleven years, I was looking for a change and started considering the Safari alongside the Crysta. After the call with the salesman, I have dropped Safari and would probably be sticking to the new Innova Crysta.
Old 19th July 2021, 12:52   #1102
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolHead2272 View Post
I'd say you're wrong.

With this question in mind, I called up the salesman of Tata.
Here's the conversation that took place (translated in English) -

SM - Hello sir
ME - Hi, I would like to inquire about the comfort of the Tata safari, is it comfortable?
SM - Yes sir, of course it is comfortable.
ME - My current drive is an Innova, kindly tell me if the Safari is quite as much comfortable as the Innova?
SM - No sir, the safari doesn't offer the amount of comfort offered by the Innova.
ME - Can you explain a bit?
SM - Yes sir, safari is a more rugged car than the Innova. The Innova's USP is definitely the comfort whereas safari isn't as comfortable as Innova. You see, The Safari is an SUV and an overall rugged car.
("Sir Safari mein Innova jitna comfort nahi hai, per gaddi yeh rugged hai or iska USP comfort nahi hai.").

I would say that your entire approach to this subject is wrong. The gentleman you quoted said something on the basis of his experience in both the vehicles. Now your opinion and experiences may differ from his. But you can only reach that conclusion once you have experienced both the vehicles personally (I am assuming you haven't experienced the Safari from your post. Do correct me if I am wrong.). A salesman's word holds lesser value than a pack of biscuits. You would not want to base your 25 Lakh rupees purchase on that.

Quote:

The Innova has larger boot space than the Safari because it is a longer vehicle. That's it. The space in all the 3 rows are comparable in both vehicles (The Safari has a much better 3rd row and the Crysta has a touch wider 2nd row).

Last edited by sierrabravo98 : 19th July 2021 at 12:55. Reason: Adding something
sierrabravo98 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 13:07   #1103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
I would say that your entire approach to this subject is wrong. The gentleman you quoted said something on the basis of his experience in both the vehicles. Now your opinion and experiences may differ from his. But you can only reach that conclusion once you have experienced both the vehicles personally (I am assuming you haven't experienced the Safari from your post. Do correct me if I am wrong.). A salesman's word holds lesser value than a pack of biscuits. You would not want to base your 25 Lakh rupees purchase on that.
Yes I haven't experienced the new Safari yet, i'll be going to check out the new one soon enough.

I would also like to apologize to call someone's opinion wrong. I respect everyone's opinions.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th July 2021 at 15:53. Reason: Typo
PetrolHead2272 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 13:32   #1104
BHPian

Hi,
Regarding the Innova Vs safari on ride comfort alone, I give my perceptions. I test drove the Innova crysta and the Safari back to back before zeroing on the safari on ride comfort alone. On the utility, seats, space on offer, city drivability ( Innova width is lesser than the Safari) Innova wins hands down. Also the Innova is a workhorse which can take abuse for lacs and lacs of kms without complaining. Safari being called as rugged is a joke. It is flimsy and a monocoque is in no way a comparison to a ladder on frame chassis in terms of life. Other USP which you might want to consider is the mileage. Safari returns 15.5 KMPL in city mode during my highway runs. More on it below.
I recently completed a 1500 km run on my safari and here are my observations.Ride is planted and I personally don't see much of a difference between my Duster and Safari. R17 is the size to have. Overall, I got a mileage of 13.3KMPL with 70% sports mode which is a hoot to drive.

2021 Tata Safari Review-overallmileage.jpg

On a whim, I selected city mode during my final leg of 500 kms with a speed of 120KMPL and I got a mileage of 15.5 KMPL which really surprised me.

2021 Tata Safari Review-citymodemileage.jpg

The two major issues of concern for me were,
1. Grinding noise under braking from the front brake pads and overall creaking brake noises all around, even at slow speeds. I have to check the lubrication of the caliper pins to see if its just a grease problem.
2. This is a major gripe and hopefully I'm the only one suffering from it. Too much of nauseating and allergy triggering new car smell emanating from the car. As of now, I have tried everything from fresh air mode to activated charcoal to jasmine flowers to sprinkling baking soda everywhere. Nothing seems to work. Myself, Wife and kids have developed breathing difficulties with coughing and I am at my wits end. Never have I experienced this in any of the news cars That I have bought so far. To make matters worse, the incessant coughing makes people around me very paranoid with the Covid situation
Anyways, some parting pics. Safari is a mile cruncher. That's for sure....... As long as it doesn't break down.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Tata Safari Review-safariestate.jpg  

Neil Roy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 13:55   #1105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post

2. This is a major gripe and hopefully I'm the only one suffering from it. Too much of nauseating and allergy triggering new car smell emanating from the car.
1. Please get your AC cabin filter checked for some fungus or mold growth.

2.Have you installed PVC footmat? There are times when they can also cause allergies.

3. Also check if the service center has applied dashboard polish. It can also cause coughing and allergies.

Kindly look into these 3 issues.
BoneCollector is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 14:51   #1106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Innova has larger boot space than the Safari because it is a longer vehicle. That's it. The space in all the 3 rows are comparable in both vehicles (The Safari has a much better 3rd row and the Crysta has a touch wider 2nd row).
Innova is taller and boxier, it will always be more spacious than Safari and therefore the space is not comparable - Innova is better by a lot. For starters Innova is an 8 seater. Safari may have other redeeming features like I said earlier, the Looks and sunroof etc but space , Innova is simply better.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 15:39   #1107
BANNED

Quote:
Innova is taller and boxier, it will always be more spacious than Safari and therefore the space is not comparable - Innova is better by a lot. For starters Innova is an 8 seater. Safari may have other redeeming features like I said earlier, the Looks and sunroof etc but space , Innova is simply better.
1.) The Innova is taller by 9mm (1795mm for the Crysta vs 1786mm for the Safari). BIG DEAL!! What you keep forgetting is that that Innova has a higher floor as well (characteristic of a BoF vehicle). That means that internal cabin height should be similar for both the vehicles.

2.) The Innova is boxier: Why else did you think did I give the Crysta an advantage with regard to the 2nd row width despite the Safari being wider (1894mm for the Safari vs 1830mm for the Crysta).

3.) Indeed, Innova is an 8 seater if the average family in 3rd row member is 5'3" and weighs 50 kg. Else both the Crysta and the Safari can hold only 7 in relative comfort with the Crysta scoring a bit more on 2nd row comfort due to wider seats and the Safari ahead in terms of 3rd row comfort.

So NO, unless you corroborate your claims with mathematical measurements of the space (leg room, knee room, head room, shoulder room, door to door width etc.) in each of the rows of both the vehicles, the Crysta is not "simply" better. It's just better in your opinion and that is perfectly fine.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 15:53   #1108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So NO, unless you corroborate your claims with mathematical measurements of the space (leg room, knee room, head room, shoulder room, door to door width etc.) in each of the rows of both the vehicles, the Crysta is not "simply" better. It's just better in your opinion and that is perfectly fine.
Someone in our family did all these measurements based on information online and ended up with a Safari, So I meet this vehicle every weekend, including yesterday. Its not even as spacious as the XUV it replaced, forget Innova, even its owner agrees.

Last edited by Kosfactor : 19th July 2021 at 15:54.
Old 19th July 2021, 16:00   #1109
BANNED

Quote:
Someone in our family did all these measurements based on information online and ended up with a Safari, So I meet this vehicle every weekend, including yesterday. Its not even as spacious as the XUV it replaced, forget Innova, even its owner agrees.
Great. You have easy access to the vehicle then. Go on, make those measurements and post them here for the benefit of the entire community. Else, your opinion is as good as mine which is what I have been saying from the start.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 16:10   #1110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Too much of nauseating and allergy triggering new car smell emanating from the car. As of now, I have tried everything from fresh air mode to activated charcoal to jasmine flowers to sprinkling baking soda everywhere. Nothing seems to work. Myself, Wife and kids have developed breathing difficulties with coughing and I am at my wits end. Never have I experienced this in any of the news cars That I have bought so far.
Hi Neil

We wish you get over this problem as soon as possible. That feeling spoils the entire mood of the journey :-(.

Just a checklist for you to work on
1. Hope you have removed all the PLASTIC COVERS on seats . These are the major causes of that new car smell.

2. I went through your old post https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5098200 (2021 Tata Safari Review) and these are the items you have installed after market.

Quote:
Other modifications and accessories fitted.
Floor mats
3M sun films of 70 VLT.
Ceramic coating.
Hella Horns.
HID lights for the projector lamps.
Rat chasing device.
Try removing the mats completely for couple of days and observe.
What is RAT CHASING DEVICE? Does it give have any chemical or is it a source of smell? I have not used any so no idea about this

3) The detailing shops use a lot of chemicals to clean/polish etc. Did any such item spill inside the car somewhere and got cleaned up? Try parking the car in hot sun for few hours. Usually it helps in eliminating such odour.

Increase your checklist with inputs from other TeamBhpians. We should be able to get you out of this very soon. Good Luck.

Regards
Dev
irdevanand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed