Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2021, 20:19   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Citroen C5 Aircross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

It also shows fuel and temperature gauges, and a retro-style sliding speedometer at the top.
This is a tribute to the"Cyclops Eye" speedo seen in the GS and the CX

More here

Quote:
Card holder, headlamp leveller and switches for the alarm system motion sensors (our best guess - have asked Citroen) + child lock are located on the right.
Switches off motion sensor when you need to leave your pet in the car
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 20:51   #77
Senior - BHPian

Well, wow. That's a well detailed review. Where else, can you find on YouTube and elsewhere, anyone covering the stubby/ lock plug, attaching a parcel shelf tray to the boot hatch lid? The details are what TBhp stand out for.

Coming to the car itself, it clearly is one that's difficult to position oneself as for or against. It's got a lot going for it, clearly, whilst also there are certain drawbacks which individuals/ families spending in the ballpark of 30L+ for a 5 seater SUV. Quality inside also looks par for the course and very good.

One thing that is not a deal breaker, but is a little something that is a concern is that the French maker did not put the effort to cater something, 'for the market'. Speaking of the LHD oriented controls here, as opposed to reconfiguring the same controls oriented for an RHD market. If Citroen is as serious as they want Indians to believe they are, why did they stop short of going the whole 9 yards to make a car that would be more convenient for Indians? Simple things often go a long way and unfortunately, most people miss understanding simple things.

Okay, so is a LHD oriented gear level or a stop/start button, a bonnet release level such a big deal, one may ask? It's not these features, but the amount of interest the maker is investing as effort, in such a potential market, that is the concern. What if, similarly, they think of such short cuts and avoiding attitude they display in after sales service concerns; in service department setup? It'd be disastrous. Please look up Citroen's feedback for reliability in markets it has been selling for years, in Europe. Reliability feedback isn't really peachy. Some reviewed mention Kia, Skoda, Seat all to be more reliable than Citroen (for ex: in UK). These things matter, in the long run. Commitment and genuine interest is key, isn't it?

Amongst the many features buyers in this segment look for (clap clap for panoramic sunroof), what's truly bothersome is lack of proper space for rear seat passengers. Understood major issue may be for passengers beyond height of 5'10', still, after spending 30 big Ls, if passengers have to sit precariously watching our for their knees from touching the front seat, it paints a very poor picture of smartly spending 30L. However, for most Indians, who're largely under 5'10", it won't be a deal breaker but sliding those front seats forward will be out of question, unless front seat occupants are under 5'8"? But no surprise, as I called this out already looking at reviews from other markets. No changes for India.

For spending ~30L+, I'd have preferred to see incorporated:
- ventilated seats: Come on, in India, this is no more a luxury, with every summer getting warmer and hotter than the previous year. Not everyone is living in Himachal Pradesh and north.
- Rear AC console: looks quite bare, for the price and segment this car is in. At least the option to control the temperature should have been provided, à la Skoda Superb.
- Passenger electric seat: again, not a huge cost to have but something expected and much desired in the segment.
- Mood/ ambient lighting: this again, not a deal breaker but something that is a big attraction for the kid(s). And much safer than any sunroof. It enhances the ambience inside the car and one can choose to indulge in it or turn off, too. Just ask anyone who has experienced a nice implementation, like in a Superb, Merc E class, etc..

As everyone before have mentioned, pricing is KEY... If like Autocar India has mentioned, should the C5 Aircross come with a 30L and + ex-showroom price tag, I suspect its success. In my limited opinion, if this is pitted against (an also overpriced) Skoda Karoq, at 25L ex-showroom for Shine variant, landing at a ~31L on-road Bengaluru, it has a chance. I'd be very, very wary with the service experience though. The French aren't exactly easy or straight forward to deal with. I know, been working with them for 8+ years now. As GTO mentioned, get those extended warranty and service packs, for sure.

@Aditya, @GTO: one feature I noticed the review missed to mention is the Citroen ConnectedCAM feature. It is a brilliant and an important (for me) feature I'm hoping has not been deducted for India. Is this connectedCam feature available (at least on Shine variant)? In the first (frontal) pic under exterior images, I see a hole in the IRVM console, but I'm unable to make it out, conclusively, from the picture.

@GTO: not an apple to apple comparison, yes, but between the C5 Aircross and Skoda Superb (TSI/ TDI), how would you compare the 2 for a family of 5 (where maximum adult height is 5'8")? For road trip touring and senior citizens comfort during such trips?

Citroen ConnectedCAM. This is a smart feature (would have expected someone like Skoda to implement, but..) and I dearly hope has made it to the Indian C5 Aircross [they even put the feature explanation in their India YouTube channel, so I hope its included].

Last edited by k_ajay : 15th February 2021 at 21:04.
k_ajay is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 21:00   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Mood/ ambient lighting: this again, not a deal breaker but something that is a big attraction for the kid(s). And much safer than any sunroof. It enhances the ambience inside the car and one can choose to indulge in it or turn off, too. Just ask anyone who has experienced a nice implementation, like in a Superb, Merc E class, etc..
It gets Ambient lighting and for both variants. I could see a light in footwells, centre console, cup holders and along the dashboard. But I doubt it's there in the rear. Also there is only one colour- white.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 21:01   #79
BHPian

Super review. Thanks guys!

I find the design to be too busy for my liking. Sure the car rides and drives super but the design will lose its appeal very soon just like the Seltos has. It doesn't have the timeless appeal of say the Compass nor the butch ruggedness of the Endeavor. Considering that it will compete with these vehicles I find the looks to be too soft (curvy) and loud. All those red accents are more sports car than SUV. I'd rather get an Endeavor if my budget was >30L or a Compass/Harrier at 25L. This is just too sports car like in my opinion.

Anything north of 30L OTR and it'll be a tough sell. With just one dealer per city to start of with, it doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence in getting things resolved on a speedy basis with their ASS especially for the first year or so.
yd_gli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 21:43   #80
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
[

Noise, Vibration & Harshness (NVH)

.. Wind and road noise are also very well controlled, including at triple digit speeds. Part of the reason for the wonderfully controlled NVH level is the use of double-laminated front windows and an acoustic windshield glass. These glasses help a lot in keeping outside noises out. The refinement levels are frankly superior to many Audis, BMWs & Mercedes' we've driven.

Mileage & Fuel Economy

The C5 Aircross has an ARAI rating of 18.6 km/l. 4-cylinder turbo diesels & 8-speed ATs offer good fuel economy in the city & more so on the highway
These things greatly appeal to me, because, nowadays the "aaaahhh..." sound escapes my mouth, whenever I :
1) sit down after "assisting" with kitchen work
2) thrust my face at the shower
3) find my wallet, phone & keys on my first attempt, whenever I want to go out
4) find my son quietly playing by himself with his toys in one corner, without the background noise of Tarzan swinging from one tree to another
venkyhere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 21:43   #81
BHPian

What I liked about the C5 Aircross :
  1. Solid Build Quality + classy looking car both are hard to find on the Indian market
  2. Ride quality & comfort
  3. Engine & gearbox combo
  4. Fresh design in the dearth of Korean & Japanese cars
  5. none of those gimmicky features are present

What I hate or skeptical about :
  1. Reliability & service concerns
  2. Cost if around 25 lakhs would be a hit, above that you really gotta love it

This is a brand building exercise for Citroen in India which will give us enthusiasts another choice to choose from. If ride & refinement is anything we have heard from the review we want more such French cars.
I run low profile tyres on my daily & definitely miss that ride quality else I think still cars on offer in our country are unstable or trashy for our conditions.

Citroen didn't even bothered in England to switch the glovebox or the console layout for RHD where they bring good volumes. So, why bother for the Indian market. This I observed from the Carwow review.
Safety aspect is also important which the build quality assures us.

I came across this a few years back ever since been following this thorough testing criteria, those from Automobile or mechanical background will appreciate the DLC (double lane change) SLC ( Singlelane change) testing data as it plays an important role in the dynamics of a car.
The C5 Aircross here passed it with flying colours while many German biggies failed too.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th February 2021 at 20:21. Reason: Typo
GT Racer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 22:30   #82

Came across this review of the C5 Aircross. This FWD crossover can be seen undertaking rock climbing.

I am amazed to see how well the suspension reacts to the surface change .

If I am not wrong, this journo is also a BHPian ?

Nevertheless, it surely feels that Citroën is here to stay. Planning to visit the La Maison Dealership at Ahmedabad next week.

Alpha out.
AlphaPetrolhead is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 23:08   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPetrolhead View Post
Came across this review of the C5 Aircross. This FWD crossover can be seen undertaking rock climbing.

I am amazed to see how well the suspension reacts to the surface change

Nevertheless, it surely feels that Citroën is here to stay. Planning to visit the La Maison Dealership at Ahmedabad next week.

Alpha out.
Yes indeed, he is a BHPian and we met him in 2019 at the MG Hector drive.

Thanks for sharing the video link. After seeing the video I recognized him and pointed him to this thread as well.

Must say his rock quarry venture was pretty cool and yes the slow mo of suspension is nicely done.

Citroen really needs the price right. The car has a lot going for it mechanically. Even though it is down on gadgets and features, what lies underneath is important and it has some solid fundamentals like build quality, NVH, engine, gearbox, ride comfort.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 23:22   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Kodiaq is way superior. There is no contest, any day the Kodiaq over the Citroen.

I won't even consider the Tiguan though because of its stiff ride.
Just to check, is the Aircross positioned roughly in between the Karoq/T-Roc and Kodiaq/Tiguan? I assume the Kodiaq was a lot more expensive than the Aircross is expected to be?
Old 15th February 2021, 23:44   #85
BHPian

Just for fun, I PSed out the top grille strip (one with the LED DRLs) and it suddenly makes the car look so plain jane…

Citroen C5 Aircross Review-c5-aircross-psed.jpg
batladanny is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 02:16   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPetrolhead View Post

I am amazed to see how well the suspension reacts to the surface change .

https://Youtu.be/4-Z6tH8RSUw

Alpha out.
The reviewer mentions- C5 has Adaptive Cruise Control!- is it true? Since I didn't see any other reviews mentioning this feature.

The reviewer also mentions that SUV won't allow lane changes under certain conditions! I thought C5 has only Lange Change indicator and not full-blown Lane Change Assist.

Can anyone confirm these features? If indeed they are present then its a big USP.
AMG1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 03:11   #87
Team-BHP Support

Having seen a fair few reviews now of the Compass as well as the C5, some thoughts from my end, specially on what pricing “ought” to be.

I suspect Citroen might just price the top end C5 a little higher than the top end Compass.
To my mind, if they do this, it would be simply wrong. The on road pricing of the top end pricing of the C5 has no business being more expensive than the compass (which by any measure is already overpriced by at least 2 - 3 lakh.)

I feel the Compass and C5 represent two head on competitors, which provide different priorities to the end customer.

The Compass is probably dynamically better to drive (a real pity they’ve botched up the engine gearbox mating that I can’t say this more emphatically). It’ll likely be more fun than the C5, the interiors are a little more plush, its got more features and tech, the leather seats a bit more premium and overall its just the richer feeling car. Most importantly its got 4x4 tech sitting underneath which surely must have added to its cost.

The C5 on the other hand has more generous proportions, a bigger boot, different approach to seats (I say different because the C5 attempts to seat 5 in decent comfort whereas the Compass seats 4 in better comfort but 5 not so much), drives better in its own way (again, engine gearbox anyone - the Compass should have emphatically owned this criteria).

Given the above, and considering they are from the same family, if they are aligned tactically (or even if they’re not frankly), the C5 should actually even be a bit cheaper than the Compass. I suspect (fear) that where it will end up though is up to 2 lakh over the S variant.

Last edited by Axe77 : 16th February 2021 at 03:40.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 03:52   #88
Senior - BHPian

I’ve a feeling C5 will be the pick in the segment. It’s fresh, it’s strong and seems like it’s got a good engine on offer for those who love diesel meat in the sea of Seltos, Cretas and even Harriers, C5 stands out as a fresh product and it doesn’t look boring from any angle. May be a good set of fat alloys and tires might further enhance the stance of the car.

Welcome, Citroen!
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 08:51   #89
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand some BHPians fussing over lack of some features.

• Ventilated seats- Yes, necessary.
  • Wireless charging- Really not at all required. It's painfully slow to charge and wireless compatible phones are very less.
  • 360 degree camera- Could have been provided, but I guess the 6 parking sensors at front and back each, along with reverse camera should easily take of the parking needs.
  • Auto Hold functionality- Yes, this was absolutely necessary. If EPB is provided, the integration could have been easier.
  • Connected Car Tech. (Except the auto start stop option, I don't see other connected car features that important)
  • Electric Passenger seat (Could have been provided)
  • Memory seats for driver (Could have been provided)

I guess that's it, in the misses. The tucson and Compass are the main rivals. Of those, only Compass gets all of the above, while Tucson only has Auto Hold, Wireless charging, Electric Passenger seat and Connected Car Tech.

In comparison to the C5, these miss out on following-
  • Blind spot monitoring
  • Paddle shifts
  • Ambient lighting (Compass gets it)
  • Auto parking for parallel parks.
  • Electric child lock for rear doors and windows too( Necessary for someone like me)
  • One touch up down for all windows.

Kind of nullifies the hits and misses?

I believe the segment best ride/handling balance coupled with the ample performance on tap, a solid build quality and a great 8 speed automatic and segment best boot capacity, Citroen had to cut down on some features, And that's understandable rather than missing out on the above mechanically sound qualities.
07CR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 09:32   #90
BHPian

This car is CKD means it should have almost all the features which are available in the international market. The UK site mentions that

The Citroën Connect Box with integrated SOS & Assistance, wireless smartphone charging and ConnectedCAM Citroën® complete the comprehensive connectivity offering.

Still, we see that the wireless charging along with connected car technology is missing. How?
hrishig is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks