Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2021, 19:23   #121

Re: Citroen C5 Aircross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
OT: Talk about negative publicity and not doing right by your customers, any person reading this or researching this matter will automatically have Citroen removed from their shopping list.

Although what I could find was that the models quoted above have 1.6 L engine while the one being launched in India is a 2.0 L unit. I am only assuming that the AdBlue tank and pump will not be the same parts between the two counterparts.
Indeed. The strangest part is that the Peugeot distributor stands by its AdBlue models for a full 10 years/unlimited mileage - only labour charges will apply for AdBlue tank replacements - while the Citroen distributor only warrants the tank for 5 years/100k km! (The statutory lifespan of a car in Singapore is 10 years.)

We are just a small dot on the globe, so while this is not right, it's understandable from a business perspective. But I hope PSA knows it cannot get away with this sort of inconsistent customer experience in one of the world's largest car markets.

For all buyers, I would strongly advise pressing dealers to throw in a 5-year warranty, or factor its cost in when comparing against e.g. that Compass or Seltos next door. Our Picasso experience has shown that most niggles start to surface after the 3-year mark.
Asworstos is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 20:43   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
to this post. Other than ventilated seats (a must) I can't see any point in other features, especially wireless charging. I fact, I am really appalled by seeing these much TBHPians downgrading a car just because the lack of a trivial feature.

Numerous wireless charging adapters are available in Amazon and elsewhere and I would rather invest in one as it can be ported from car to car. No plans to do so since I don't have a phone with wireless charging although I have three cars.I'd any day prefer a car that comes with Michelin as OEM tyres, over funky electronics.
Yes! Agree with that line of thinking. A wireless charging is mostly useless as many members have pointed out correctly. It's hardly 5w or 7.5w at best and if not kept on for a long drive/ inter-state drive, pretty much futile.
"I'd any day prefer a car that comes with Michelin as OEM tyres, over funky electronics" ---->

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Both are good, man. It's like choosing between Nike & Reebok. Superb will have the advantage of space (rear passengers will love it), features & a more opulent cabin, but the Citroen will be way more economical (turbo diesel over turbo petrol) and have superior ground clearance (Superb is soft + long wheelbase).

Both cars will be excellent options to do a Bombay-Goa drive in; selecting between them will really come down to whether you are a crossover or sedan guy, brand preferences, design appeal and petrol vs diesel. I reckon the Citroen will be priced much lower than the Superb too.
Thanks, GTO. Noted on all points. And yes, the ~230mm ground clearance does make a great case for the C5 Aircross, when compared a Superb, for road trips/ touring.

And yes, I hope Citroen does not mess up on the pricing front and make a deep discounted Superb a better option for people cross shopping between different body styles, in the 'comfort class'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfighter View Post
My observations:
  • Citroen is using the C5 Aircross as a brand building exercise (as a luxury aspirational brand) and don't intend to sell it in large numbers. They instead will focus on their next mass-market product which should be priced/specd competitively.
Exactly! You've said it right and the Head of Sales and Marketing for Citroen India, Roland, also mentioned the C5 is their flagship offering and are only expecting people from the 10 cities they have dealers in, to be buying them. It IS their brand building model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfighter View Post
My observations:
  • About the C5, the sliding 2nd row is just a marketing gimmick as the slide is "not enhancing any space". Rather if you slide forward (the only direction it slides), one will be decreasing the legroom in front.
Yeah, pretty limited in use, that sliding seats feature. Not everyone in India is above 5'10" but not everyone is also 5'6" and under. However, it isn't a marketing gimmick. They've had this feature in their C5 wherever they sell. For India, inserting an arm-rest into the middle passenger seat would have been better. I suppose I won't be wrong in stating, 90% of the time, most Indians won't be moving the seats forward to liberate more boot space, from an already voluminous 580 ltrs to a larger 720 ltrs, where the additional space liberated (between right behind the seats & boot floor) is also questionable to store anything and everything.

-----------

About my earlier query, disappointed to learn Citroen didn't bring the ConnectedCAM feature to India. Why they even went ahead and put it on their India YouTube, I can even begin to understand. Not smart at all. Citroen.
k_ajay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 00:15   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Really? I personally don't mind it cause wireless charging is so slow that unless you spend a lot of time inside the car you barely get a top up
I use wireless charging in tucson & seltos regularly and my phone is pretty old samsung note 9. My phone charging is extremely fast. it surprised me when i first used it. It certainly helps overhang of cables and looks neat too. Importantly, It doesnt cost much to give this feature.

No doubt you miss other features, but this one is cheapest and easy to please customer. life comes to a still for many with a dead phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post

1) You need to spend atleast 40+K on a mobile phone to have that Wireless charging compatability. I seriously never thought the need to spend so much on a mobile phone. I mostly buy phones in the 15-25K mark only.

2) It's painfully slow to charge, from whatever examples I have seen.

3) Is (Wireless) Charging really that big of a miss? I mean I can distinctly remember my previous four phones easily lasting me atleast a day (despite heavy usage). The phone's being- HTC (don't remember model name, costed 20K), Moto X Play (19 K), Redmi Note 5 Pro(15K) and Realme X3(latest, costed 23K).
Come on mate, Someone who deploys 35 L rupees on a citroen, one can reasonably assume he would have not even heard of the names of those phones. most owners who buy into this car would be having phones which are easily 40k+. With technology getting cheaper, even chauffeur driving an aircross might get it in his modest phone soon.
blackbeast is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 03:39   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Come on mate, Someone who deploys 35 L rupees on a citroen, one can reasonably assume he would have not even heard of the names of those phones. most owners who buy into this car would be having phones which are easily 40k+. With technology getting cheaper, even chauffeur driving an aircross might get it in his modest phone soon.
It's not about, if the Citroen customer can buy a cell phone worth 40K+; I am sure even a 10L~ costing car buyer can buy one, if he needs it. Have seen many 20-30L car owners not having one, just because they don't need it. I am in the same boat, I don't really go too much into the high end phones, as I rarely would be needing whatever extra they offer.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 04:11   #125
BHPian

The C5 Aircross looks like a very promising package and it may help Citroën to establish itself in the market. Pricing will be crucial though.
Old 18th February 2021, 06:55   #126
BHPian

Citroen seems to be no different from other manufacturers in respect of dropping features for India. One glaring omission is the dashcam(connectedCAM) that is available in international models.

Last edited by DImPo : 18th February 2021 at 06:57.
DImPo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 19:18   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Citroen C5 Aircross Review
A well researched review. Liked it and would also like to spend more time as I have just cursorily gone through the posts.

In fact, Peugeot cars used to be imported in India till the 1930's or so as FBU's. Citreon was a separate company then. PSA or Peugeot Société Anonyme became PSA Citreon in 1976 after Peugeot acquiring a majority stake in Citreon that was loss making then. Now in fact, Opel and Vauxhall (both ex-GM) are also a part of the PSA Citreon Group.

Several decades after the car imports into India ceased, Peugeot entered India in 1984 through it's two wheeler subsidiary to manufacture the Peugeot Sportif with M/s Chamundi Mopeds, a 65 cc moped with a self start and battery/ indicators, alloy wheels and so on. It was futuristic, ahead of its times but bombed due to it's pricing at Rs 6500/- (on road).

Peugeot's second foray was in 1994 through PAL Peugeot, a subsidiary of M/s Premier Automobiles Ltd, which had a separate plant at Kalyan to manufacture the 309 and 309 GLD. The 118 NE and the 1.38 D (also Viceroy) were also soon manufactured in Kalyan and became a part of this new joint venture (JV). We all know how the very dated 309 bombed and pulled down the JV. PAL and Peugeot are still fighting in the courts for their rights.

Peugeot two wheelers has again entered India through Mahindra two wheelers, wherein the latter has acquired a majority equity stake. There have been no launches, but we can also expect some announcement from the JV.

Back to the C5 topic, other than a very revolutionary new looking frontal facade, the rear look and the side profile show nothing to boast of. Its robust European built quality with the solid door thuds and the Euro NCAP five star rating of the premium variant should be a bonus for road safety freaks, who are searching for something other than the matchboxes from the Far East. The model was first launched in 2017 as stated by Aditya and four years is a pretty long period these days, or rather half life of the model has already elapsed.

And lastly, reliability and cost of spares, servicing and the new to be appointed or already appointed dealer's customer relations and credibility should be a very major issues that could make or break the C 5. These are the grey areas where the Europeans and Americans have not had very clean records. Hence we later on see them exiting India.

Many die hard Ambassador fans are awaiting the launch of the new PSA Citreon Ambassador in a new avatar, which until now is a mystery. The C5 needs to be on a firm ground and needs to become a French darling of the buyers so that they await the Ambassador more eagerly. And should the C5 turn into a failure, we do not see very good prospects for the Ambassador branded car from PSA Citreon.

Hence, PSA Citreon should be on their toes to oversee that their C5 is a grand success.

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th February 2021 at 08:08. Reason: Quoted part trimmed. Thank you!
anjan_c2007 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 13:25   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
I use wireless charging in tucson & seltos regularly and my phone is pretty old samsung note 9. My phone charging is extremely fast. it surprised me when i first used it. It certainly helps overhang of cables and looks neat too. Importantly, It doesnt cost much to give this feature.
I very rarely use it, the reason being my phone is always connected to Apple carplay through the cable, so it's always charging as well as playing music in parallel. In very rare situations the co-passengers phone is placed in the wireless slot. I guess you will really not really miss it I feel.

Last edited by ampere : 24th February 2021 at 13:27. Reason: fixed quote tag
Old 24th February 2021, 14:09   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
It's not about, if the Citroen customer can buy a cell phone worth 40K+; I am sure even a 10L~ costing car buyer can buy one, if he needs it. Have seen many 20-30L car owners not having one, just because they don't need it. I am in the same boat, I don't really go too much into the high end phones, as I rarely would be needing whatever extra they offer.
Why bother, when and if you get a phone with wireless charging capability, get a wireless charging pad. Hardly costs a 1000 bucks and comes in varied shapes and size. Get a short USB cable and you are sorted. You might have to forego USB slot but I don't think its of much use in this age of spotify/gaana.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 14:46   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Why bother, when and if you get a phone with wireless charging capability, get a wireless charging pad. Hardly costs a 1000 bucks and comes in varied shapes and size. Get a short USB cable and you are sorted. You might have to forego USB slot but I don't think its of much use in this age of spotify/gaana.
Agree. Wireless charging is the new faddish buzzword in cars. Nothing beats a powerful 12 volt socket fast charger along with a quality cable. Try charging a iPhone 12 or OnePlus 8 Pro on wireless
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 15:00   #131
BHPian

With respect to wireless charging it depends a lot on placement. The pad in Seltos is great since its out of view and people don't fiddle with a phone placed there as opposed with my experience in my Compass which has no hidden area to place the charging phone other than the net on the left which again is not a good solution.
Old 24th February 2021, 15:11   #132
BHPian

I see some of the folks not in complete favour of wireless charging. Agree that it is not a feature basis which you should change your car buying decision, but it is one such feature every manufacturer should offer and get it over with. It is brilliant, offers great convince and is non expensive. Let me share how

1. When you use wireless charging, you don't need fast charging. I have a wireless charger on my work table, and every-time I keep my phone on it (which is like keeping phone on a table), it tops up charge by 20%. My charge % hovers between 50-80% throughout the day, never falls below. Therefore I never need fast charging. This may change though when we start going to office

2. Wireless charging has a great amplification effect when paired with wireless car-play. Imagine a situation where you enter your car, just keep phone on charge-pad, it connects wirelessly for GPS navigation via Google maps, music, and you take a call in between. In mean time, phone tops up 20% battery in your 20 min ride. And there are no cables lying around. You see how convenient it is!!

Few years back same issue happened with USB ports. Some offered it some didn't. But eventually everyone offers it now and we even have multiple ports even in armrest storage

Last edited by SourPai : 24th February 2021 at 15:19. Reason: Minor changes
SourPai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 15:12   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

I have not seen this vehicle, so not able to judge its positioning in the market as such, Is this a BMW X1 \ Q3 competitor?
Old 24th February 2021, 15:45   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I have not seen this vehicle, so not able to judge its positioning in the market as such, Is this a BMW X1 \ Q3 competitor?
Size wise yes, price wise should be a Tuscon/Compass competitor. They can start packing up if they intend to compete against X1/Q3 in terms of price.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 10:08   #135

The Electronic city showroom in Bangalore looks ready with a black C5 already sitting there pretty.

Anybody have a clue about the launch date? Guessing it's very soon considering the showrooms are ready for customers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks