Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 28th February 2021, 10:52   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine Review (Long Wheelbase)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakingBad View Post
I have question to the regular version (I hate calling it as SWB - coz its not shortened) owners, how bad is the transmission hump for 5th passenger who sits in the middle? particularly for long drives?

I have another question, won't it be better to have leather seatback pouch instead of this plastic one.... particularly for the regular 3 series with limited leg room? if no objects are kept, it would give at least 5 to 10 mm knee room and passenger's knee won't rub against a hard place. have you seen any such mods?
Well, I can comment w.r.t. my poverty-spec Sport with the 'normal' BMW seats in Sensatec Black. In my 2020 model, the seat pockets are a net design but with the same hard plastic backing:

BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine Review (Long Wheelbase)-9.jpeg

BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine Review (Long Wheelbase)-seat-pocket.jpeg

I think the M Sport is similar but maybe Akshay1234 can confirm.

The seat hump is terrible and any middle seat passenger had better be the least-loved person in the 3 . In the pictures below, the fronts are setup for a 5'10" driver/passenger and you can see the limited leg space and that huge seat hump. The middle seat is not a 'real seat' either and is uncomfortable both horizontally and vertically.

BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine Review (Long Wheelbase)-hump.jpeg

BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine Review (Long Wheelbase)-hump-2.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
.. BMW is possibly the last brand to buy when it comes to rear seat comfort,

It maybe only my opinion but I'd buy the X1 or Q3 over the 3 LWB, I'd rather squat slightly higher and have my knees bend than have tons of legroom but zero height like in BMW.
I'd agree. I sat at the back for the first time in 9 months of ownership, and wasn't enthused in my very brief 5 minutes there.

Anyone buying the SWB or LWB for back seat usage should subject themselves to longish test drives across both bumpy and smooth roads. As dark.knight has captured, the low swoopy roofline doesn't help. I banged my head hard while getting in!

Overall, ingress and egress is quite difficult with those low set seats and tall door sills. My kids care two hoots, but I would hate to request my elderly dad to use the rear seats.

BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine Review (Long Wheelbase)-door-sill.jpeg

EDIT: Please excuse the dusty interiors - BLR is a dust bowl nowadays!

Last edited by itwasntme : 28th February 2021 at 11:15.
itwasntme is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 19:31   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review of an equally great car. I checked out this car at the showroom recently, and loved it. The rear seat is indeed very spacious, and the quality of materials used felt a notch above the regular 3 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
• BMW’s strong track record for reliability (among the luxury marques)
I agree, but I think the disclaimer in the bracket is not even required :-)

Modern BMWs (F and G series) are so reliable that even when you compare their reliability with that of mass market brands such as Maruti, Hyundai, Honda and Sokda/VW, they still score equally well if not more on reliability front. There are so many niggles on most recent mass market cars. But from my experience of discussing ownership experiences in some BMW groups, I see that most recent owners are almost 100% happy with the reliability of their cars.

If I were to write this, I would just say BMW's strong track record of reliability for their F and G series. Period.

Quote:
Rear floor hump is enormous! Car is better as a 4-seater than 5
This is true for almost all BMW sedans. However, this can be justified because the car is a RWD after all. So the transmission tunnel actually has some very useful hardware under it. Where I find such tunnels most annoying is in the FWD cars. There is it almost inexcusable, but in BMWs, one could justify it.

What I find as a real strange "con" is the lack of rear sunscreen/sunblinds. At least I did not see any in the pictures. The rear sunscreens in my F30 are extremely useful. During our long drives in hot and sunny conditions, my wife loves to sit in the backseat with all sunscreens drawn up. This makes the real seat a really cool place to relax on and take a peaceful nap during our long drives. Rear sunscreen is one of the most used features in my car.

It was strange that BMW dropped this feature in G20. But it is even stranger that this is still not added in the G20 LWB, which is primarily designed for backseat comfort.

Please correct me if this feature is actually there but if I missed it. I do not recall seeing this when I checked out the car, and also did not see this in the pictures.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 28th February 2021 at 19:54.
Dr.AD is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 19:55   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
It was strange that BMW dropped this feature in G20. But it is even stranger that this is still not added in the G20 LWB, which is primarily designed for backseat comfort.

Please correct me if this feature is actually there but if I missed it. I do not recall seeing this when I checked out the car, and also did not see this in the pictures.
You're very correct. In the G20, BMW has globally dropped the sun shades even as an option. Silly of them, side and rear shades are ultra useful as you correctly state.
itwasntme is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 20:12   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
You're very correct. In the G20, BMW has globally dropped the sun shades even as an option. Silly of them, side and rear shades are ultra useful as you correctly state.
Thanks for the confirmation. I keep wondering why did BMW drop this. It certainly can not be a cost factor. BMW has added so much new technology (and some very expensive stuff!) in G20 compared to F30, that it is clear they were not on a budget here to leave out such a cheap part. I keep thinking there must be some strong reason to drop it, but can't figure out what.

My rear sun shade has started rattling a bit, and I heard that from a couple of other owners too. Could this potential rattle problem be the reason to drop this altogether? Or could it be something else?

Last edited by Dr.AD : 28th February 2021 at 20:25.
Dr.AD is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 20:34   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation. I keep wondering why did BMW drop this?
Other G20 owners had the same query, but no one knows why BMW dropped it.
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1579110
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 18:05   #21
BHPian

I had an opportunity to check out the 330Li Luxury Line at Shangri La last weekend displayed by BMW Deutsche Motoren, Bengaluru. What a stunner of a car she is bonkers of an engine, plus the extra legroom in the rear makes it a perfect fun car.

Only if I had the kind of bank balance I would have driven straight out with it from the venue

BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine Review (Long Wheelbase)-20210306_191214.jpg
AJ739 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 14:48   #22
BHPian

Hi

Any one aware of any discounts on 3 series LWB

Regards
Deepu
Old 19th March 2021, 12:17   #23
BHPian

Quote:
What I find as a real strange "con" is the lack of rear sunscreen/sunblinds. At least I did not see any in the pictures. The rear sunscreens in my F30 are extremely useful. During our long drives in hot and sunny conditions, my wife loves to sit in the backseat with all sunscreens drawn up. This makes the real seat a really cool place to relax on and take a peaceful nap during our long drives. Rear sunscreen is one of the most used features in my car.

As regards the sunblind's its an unwarranted silly omission but a much needed feature, i guess they want to push customers to purchase them as accessories like in the case of the F48 but again these are the clipped on the trim and not the roll down variant which make it inconvenient at times.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th May 2021 at 00:42. Reason: Fixing broken quote tags.
Old 19th March 2021, 13:51   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milin View Post
As regards the sunblind's its an unwarranted silly omission but a much needed feature, i guess they want to push customers to purchase them as accessories like in the case of the F48 but again these are the clipped on the trim and not the roll down variant which make it inconvenient at times.
Not only are they globally dropped for the G series, they are not even available as official accessories and neither easily available aftermarket.

Really silly move by BMW!
Old 17th May 2021, 19:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine 330Li review
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 20:48   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine 330Li review
https://Youtu.be/qrPoHB0l4NE
Hmm, noticeably softer suspension leading to more body roll, no paddle shifters (!) or sun-blinds, smaller 17" wheels for comfort but fully loaded with kit, a spacious back seat and pano sunroof.

Definitely not what I'd expect a 3 to be from an enthusiast PoV, but should sell reasonably well especially in NCR.

Last edited by itwasntme : 17th May 2021 at 20:51.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 22:26   #27
BHPian

Perfect , Pano roof, Harman 16 speaker, smaller wheels, Cognac seat color, Interior light over back seat looks good.

This is the car to go and pick over M sport 330i with a mere 2 lacs difference.

Wish BMW offers more colors like in 2 series

Long trips keeps the front as well as back benchers happy
Old 17th May 2021, 22:46   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet0051 View Post
Perfect , Pano roof, Harman 16 speaker, smaller wheels, Cognac seat color, Interior light over back seat looks good.

This is the car to go and pick over M sport 330i with a mere 2 lacs difference.

Wish BMW offers more colors like in 2 series

Long trips keeps the front as well as back benchers happy

Why buy a BMW 3 series in the first place if the requirements are pano roof, smaller wheels, harman 16 speaker system (which is honestly not that great at all..just having more speakers and a brand name doesn’t make the sound right). I think the 3er started as a drivers car and over the years it is getting diluted to just a sedan with a badge. They started with putting M badges all over and now they have gone to the extent of having a soft, long wheel base version with a top heavy pano roof, smaller wheels and what not. Why not buy a Camry instead?
robimahanta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 23:13   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Why buy a BMW 3 series in the first place
You read all but the last line which is the most important. To each of his own.
Does a 330li drives better than camry?
16 speaker HK is it better than 330i 10 speaker system?

If the answer is yes then why buy a camry?

And when its driving along with family then i feel 330li gives the best of both
Puneet0051 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 00:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Why buy a BMW 3 series in the first place if the requirements are pano roof, smaller wheels, harman 16 speaker system (which is honestly not that great at all..just having more speakers and a brand name doesn’t make the sound right). I think the 3er started as a drivers car and over the years it is getting diluted to just a sedan with a badge. They started with putting M badges all over and now they have gone to the extent of having a soft, long wheel base version with a top heavy pano roof, smaller wheels and what not. Why not buy a Camry instead?
For the simple fact that not all have the luxury of keeping a daily driver and a weekend car as well.

I have checked out the backseat of the GranLimo and i would go as far as to say it is in fact more usable space than the G30 5 series. In comparison the regular 3 series backseat is cramped and not comfortable for adults on long distances.

GranLimo 3 serves good features and adequate number of gizmos to keep the family satisfied and good power (at least in the 30i guise ) to keep an enthusiast hooked on.

Yes the enthusiast might look at the M340i for 10 lakhs more but that does lose out on the backseat experience. And as in luxury cars, most cars are bought by people with plenty of gray hair on the head. So backseats are also important.

Most Viewed