Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2021, 13:32   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mercedes-Benz A-Class Limousine Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhasir View Post
I read in few places and also in media reviews that the A class will have dedicated spare tyre space under the boot and that only media drive vehicles had placed it open in the boot.

This should address age old boot practicality issues with Merc. Can you please confirm?
Mercedes confirmed the bootspace is 405 litres for the petrol and 395 litres for the diesel with a flush boot floor - but all three cars we checked had a spare wheel - including the car with the RFT Bridgestones. Under the boot, there seems to be minimal space unless the whole arrangement with the TIREFIT kit etc, does not make it to production cars.

Hence the report mentions both their claims and our observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar* View Post
@Mods - Seems the below pics got interchanged.
Corrected. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
How is this a limousine?
The entire Mercedes India sedan range falls under the 'limousine' category now, from the A Class to the Maybach S Class.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 13:40   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
Wouldn't your build make the ergonomics worse for you?
There's decent room in the back, it just isn't packaged as well as it could be.

When fellow mod (and gentle giant) CrAzY dRiVeR thought the rear seating position wasn't lacking under-thigh support to the extent it bothered me, we thought his, ahem, build quality was a factor! We checked with other similarly proportioned folks, and they had similar opinions (about the seat ergonomics, not him).
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 14:12   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Explains the background here
Full credit to Chetan for that pic.

Quote:
For me personally this car makes me appreciate how good the Camry is in terms of tech, refinement, practicality, drivability, etc.
In terms of pure VFM without badge value, even the Skoda Superb offers a whole lot more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Looks like a nice and modern car, but going by the review, it seems to have lost quite a bit of the ‘Mercedesness’ to save costs.
Let's say - unlike the previous generation CLA, there are no major deal breakers here. It's a well rounded product - which also doesn't excel in any areas.

Cost is still an unknown factor though! Hope Mercedes is looking at the market reception of the BMW 2GC and going for a more competitive approach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet0051 View Post
Would like to hear about A35 review and how it is to drive on day to day basis.

Why couldn't they offer the same diesel engine like C220d as like BMW offers on their 2GC similar to 3
Unfortunately, that A35 was only for display.

I personally hope that if the A200 is off to a success, Mercedes considers bringing in an A220 spec.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 14:13   #19
BHPian

Oh ok makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
When fellow mod (and gentle giant) CrAzY dRiVeR thought the rear seating position wasn't lacking under-thigh support to the extent it bothered me, we thought his, ahem, build quality was a factor! We checked with other similarly proportioned folks, and they had similar opinions (about the seat ergonomics, not him).
One could say Team-bhp leaves no man's behind.

Last edited by Iyencar : 1st March 2021 at 14:14.
Iyencar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 14:27   #20
BHPian

So glad to know that Mercedes is now offering cars with loud boomy engines and poor engine/road noise insulation. The cost optimized base variant with its non-leather wrapped steering wheel is sick. That cute spare wheel anchored inside the boot will make me feel like I am Statham the Transporter ferrying precious cargo for my high profile clients. This has sealed the deal for me. Can't wait to get my hands on one!!
Old 1st March 2021, 14:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

I hope this car is priced well unlike the rumours. For a Mercedes Benz car that's similar to City/ Verna in size should be start at 30 lakhs on road than 1.5 times of this money. The lack of insulation is an insult to the brand than owners IMO.

The Petrol variant appears mediocre & I'm sure few people (younger enthusiastic owners-drivers) will settle for Superb than this. Only the Memsaheb on budget will be chauffeured to kitty (s) & clubs than the high flying executive Saheb.

The Diesel is better, but battle is half lost in NCR market with 10 years usage.

I'm sure many people will either walk out of deal or buy the C Class (after discounts).
CARDEEP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 14:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Aren't we glad it doesn't have Limousine badge on the rear
amol4184 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 16:06   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
How is this a limousine?
It's a German wordplay, all of the sedans here come under limousine category which is same as Saloon. Just a synonym for Sedans with four doors!

I think this car will sell well for Mercedes although it has lost some the sheen which was apparent in CLA / A Class. It's not a looker from the front but looks the part when viewed from Side or Back. Interiors are top class though!

Superb crisp review with a nice surprise base variant. If it's priced sensibly, it will sell like hot cakes.

OT. Nice to see Woodland shoes after a long long time in this era of Nike/Adidas. I used to think they fell out of general public's favor long back.
turbowhistle is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 16:43   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post

I think this car will sell well for Mercedes although it has lost some the sheen which was apparent in CLA / A Class. It's not a looker from the front but looks the part when viewed from Side or Back. Interiors are top class though!
The exterior is toned down (compared to CLA) to appeal to a larger audience, but the in-cabin experience has got a significant upgrade, no question.

I'd love to see them somehow re-integrate the hood ornament in the front design of their cars. The large star on the grille never really caught my fancy.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 17:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Mercedes confirmed the bootspace is 405 litres for the petrol and 395 litres for the diesel with a flush boot floor - but all three cars we checked had a spare wheel - including the car with the RFT Bridgestones. Under the boot, there seems to be minimal space unless the whole arrangement with the TIREFIT kit etc, does not make it to production cars.
The media drive cars were CBUs and hence the spare wheel in the boot. The locally produced cars will have the spare wheel in a wheel well below the boot floor as told to me by Mercedes at the drive.
Dippy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 17:24   #26
BHPian

How would this stack up with BMW 2 GC? That got a lot of hate because of the pricing and the fact it was a FWD BMW. I hope Mercedes Benz does not price it similar to the GC or else I would find it hard to pick this over the BMW GC considering that also has almost all the features and more (party tricks like gesture control, sport seats etc.). In case of rear seating they are neck to neck with GC having a little bit of bigger legroom but A-Class with a taller headroom, but in case of trunk space GC has done it better that the strap-on spare tire of MB. If priced similarly, a new luxury class entrant might be more inclined to go with the GC than A-class.
Old 1st March 2021, 17:26   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Request to mods:

Pls remove the word ‘Limousine’ from the title of the thread. It can be replaced with something more correct like ‘sedan’

Limousine sounds as hilariously absurd here as the ‘only’ in ten figure real estate advertisements.
Old 1st March 2021, 17:47   #28
BHPian

Have been waiting for the launch of this car ever since Mercedes confirmed their intentions to bring it to India! IMHO, the car itself is an absolute stunner especially given the fact that it is supposed to be an 'entry' level car.

Can't wait for a TD on this car!
Old 1st March 2021, 17:47   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Request to mods:

Pls remove the word ‘Limousine’ from the title of the thread. It can be replaced with something more correct like ‘sedan’

Limousine sounds as hilariously absurd here as the ‘only’ in ten figure real estate advertisements.
This is not a subjective title, rather the name of this model as advertised by MB.

https://www.mercedes-benz.co.in/pass...ou.module.html
Caffeinated is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 17:58   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure how it looks in person, but from the pics the dash looks a bit confused: looks Two layered, bulbous, with those overdone a/c vents. And a very sleek display console that is not styled the same as the rest of the dash (which looks retro-ish).

nice review there - lots of detailed pics.

Last edited by vb-saan : 1st March 2021 at 19:04. Reason: Typo
condor is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks