Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2021, 02:16   #91
BHPian

Re: BMW M340i xDrive Review

Something about people saying this is VFM is not easy to digest for me. This is clearly 30k USD expensive than what people in US pay for the same car. People in developed countries with high GDP are paying far less money for the same product compared to a developing country like ours. Some people explain this by saying how BMW is an aspirational purchase for Indians. But isn't there something about an intrinsic value of an object? I am not against shelling out for an expensive thing that you love and aspire but still it should be absolutely worth your hard earned money. Just putting my 2 cents in.
PJ1987 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 03:00   #92
BHPian

Re: BMW M340i xDrive launched at Rs. 62.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Anyway I hope it put paid to the likes of Skoda trying to sell the next Skoda Octavia RS at an ex-showroom price of 50 lakhs!
I was thinking the same thing. Skoda really got greedy with the vRS trying to bank on the good name. But BMW, you guys hit the sweet spot. Pricing it lower to what people were speculating.

I really hope this is just the beginning. I really hope this car does amazingly well. So other manufacturers see the potential in the performance segments. I want a CKD Z4. Or M2. I want to see the A45. I want to see GT86. And more from Toyota's Gazoo racing lineup. Bring them all in. I want to be spoilt for choice. I really hope we get to a point where these 400 bhp machines are easily available and we don't have to pay huge amounts for them.

I'd really thank BMW for starting the movement. Fingers crossed.
amitverma is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 06:09   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
The starting US pricing of M340i XDrive vs M2C is just $2K apart ($56-58K a piece)

No comments on M340i vs M2 performance / character, but wouldn't you feel just a little bit ripped off by paying 20L+ extra for the M2 when BMW thinks the actual difference is worth 1.4L?
Am I happy with how cars are priced in India? No. One of the reasons I left.

Context is very important when we compare the car prices in USA, UK, Australia to India.

The A$60K Mustang was launched in India in 2016 for INR 65L as a CBU.

The M340i X Drive Pure is A$105K and the next variant is A$115K. I don’t know which variant India got but it’s launched at INR62L.

The M2C Automatic is A$115K. I believe it was launched in India at INR 80L as a CBU.

I don’t know much about the CBU vs. CKD duty structure in India but IMHO I think the Mustang pricing is a rip-off and the BMWs are priced well.
The Mustang did sell well I’m told, so I guess the Mustang brand was able to get away with it. What I'm alluding to is that car makers don't literally do a currency conversation when they launch cars in India. They want to get the best profit margin based on the estimated demand. Sometimes they get it right and sometimes they don't and the Octavia vRS version 1 and 2 are proof of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
The dealer who had two this morning now just has one - a grey one.
So, the demand is there right?

Last edited by kiku007 : 12th March 2021 at 06:11.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 07:47   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
So, the demand is there right?
It’s too early to say. This is the stage where Skoda announced all the vRS 245 were sold just because people had paid the booking amount. That car is still available at dealers.

BMW has done just the same thing by saying the car is “Sold Out” when all that has happened is people have booked the car by paying a token advance. It could happen that some of these folks have a rethink and not take delivery of the car. Some may even be speculators.

Whether there is real demand will be known if all the people who have booked, remit the full amount and take delivery of the car.
AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 09:11   #95
BHPian

My Car has reached the dealership yesterday and will be billed to me today !

Does look dapper in Tanzanite Blue!

Apologies for the dark images but this is close to how the colour looks in person. I was as excited as a child and after a long while too !
Attached Thumbnails
BMW M340i xDrive Review-img20210311wa0042.jpg  

BMW M340i xDrive Review-img20210311wa0039.jpg  

Last edited by Dieselite : 12th March 2021 at 09:19.
Dieselite is offline   (88) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 11:20   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselite View Post
My Car has reached the dealership yesterday and will be billed to me today !
Congratulations !

So when is the delivery ?

Quote:

Apologies for the dark images but this is close to how the colour looks in person. I was as excited as a child and after a long while too !
This colour surely would pop out in proper sunlight, here's a reference image of the shade;

BMW M340i xDrive Review-tanzanite-blue-ii-metallic-shade.jpg

Last edited by karan561 : 12th March 2021 at 11:23.
karan561 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 11:34   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Congratulations !

So when is the delivery ?

This colour surely would pop out in proper sunlight, here's a reference image of the shade;
Thanks a lot Karan! The colour should really pop out like in the image. Feels very different to look at in dim light too. It has a lot of character.

Delivery should be around next Wednesday or Thursday ! Will post as soon as I take her home!
Dieselite is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 12:00   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
It’s too early to say. This is the stage where Skoda announced all the vRS 245 were sold just because people had paid the booking amount. That car is still available at dealers.

BMW has done just the same thing by saying the car is “Sold Out” when all that has happened is people have booked the car by paying a token advance. It could happen that some of these folks have a rethink and not take delivery of the car. Some may even be speculators.

Whether there is real demand will be known if all the people who have booked, remit the full amount and take delivery of the car.
I am a new member and this is my first post

A few days back I was considering buying BMW 530d. Went to the dealer. Got a quote with about 7L discount on Ex Showroom price. But was not sure as it was already a four year old model and I was also not getting colour of my choice. When the 340i was announced, the sales rep contacted me and informed me that It's expected to sell out and if I am interested, I should book it online immediately ( It was before the launch). I told him that I am not in a hurry for a new car and I will wait and watch the price and some owner reviews. Yesterday he called me again and asked whether I want to book. He said if I book, it will come from the plant. This shows that the car is still available and not sold out. It may be a hype created by BMW. I am still looking to buy a nice new car, but I want to take time, consider options carefully and then buy. Till then I am happy driving my 5 years old Audi A3, which is in perfect condition.
Vineet258 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 13:06   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineet258 View Post
I am a new member and this is my first post

..Yesterday he called me again and asked whether I want to book. He said if I book, it will come from the plant. This shows that the car is still available and not sold out. It may be a hype created by BMW.

I am happy driving my 5 years old Audi A3, which is in perfect condition.
Welcome to the forum Vineet258.

Yes, companies have realized that online booking gives them an opportunity to create hype on receipt of booking amounts.

It’s a good idea to take your time and review your options while buying your car. A 5 year old A3 will still be a good car so there really is no hurry. Do post updates on your decisions and an ownership review too.

Enjoy your time on the forum!
AMG Power is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 14:38   #100
BHPian

Quote:

Oh you bet.. It looks cool, I wish thr were more black bits or a blacked out front grill and better alloys

Congratulations do post first drive impressions and review when you get it next week

Many happy motoring miles dieselite
Puneet0051 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 15:02   #101
Senior - BHPian

Unlike Skoda BMW shouldn’t have trouble selling (end customers) all the 40 cars plus media cars from the initial lot.

It would be a big surprise to get calls from BMW showrooms after a few months to check if one is still interested in buying one like it happened in the case of Skoda who called me after 7 months post launch to check if I was still interested in the VRS.

Last edited by SnS_12 : 12th March 2021 at 15:23.
Old 12th March 2021, 15:29   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1987 View Post
Something about people saying this is VFM is not easy to digest for me. This is clearly 30k USD expensive than what people in US pay for the same car. People in developed countries with high GDP are paying far less money for the same product compared to a developing country like ours. Some people explain this by saying how BMW is an aspirational purchase for Indians. But isn't there something about an intrinsic value of an object? I am not against shelling out for an expensive thing that you love and aspire but still it should be absolutely worth your hard earned money. Just putting my 2 cents in.

Value is always relative. Every country has its own peculiarities. We pay a lot less than most developed countries for food . labour etc., others pay a lot less for luxury goods. The USA as a consumer market is very well priced merely because of the economy of scale that goes even into semi-luxury products that are sold there. Ofcourse, taxation also plays a major role.

Is the car expensive? Hell yes. It's also super value for money compared to the other cars that could be on a prospective buyer's list. I firmly believe that value is relative. I love cars but have reached a point where i'd rather save money and go for the LWB 3 Series instead of this one. Someone who values performance over practicality shall fine good value in this car. Most of the cars sold in India have stopped being great value for money in conventional terms anyways. The market sets the price.
redeff is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 20:19   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeff View Post
Value is always relative. Every country has its own peculiarities.
---
The market sets the price.
I understand your point. But my main gripe about the price of the car is not how expensive it is. It's about the intrinsic value of the car.

Let me give you an example. Last year I bought a Rolex Sub with years of searching and countless waiting list shenanigans. I love that watch to the death. It's not a VFM product by any stretch of the imagination. It does the same thing as a 50$ g shock does. But for me it has value. And I paid the same price for it as the rest of the world would pay.

And I agree with you on your "value is relative" point. But we have to pay almost 50-60% of the premium just because we are not a consumer nation is not something I can wrap my head around however I tried.
PJ1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 23:54   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My Car has reached the dealership yesterday and will be billed to me today ! Does look dapper in Tanzanite Blue!!
Congratulations. Car looks lovely and I'm sure under the sun that color will show it's true colors

I'm amazed at BMW's strong ability to create so many shades from one color (especially their trademark blue) as I have seen multiple shades of blue and each of them look outstanding when seen in person

Tanzanite Blue looks like a much darker shade of my X3 M40i Pythonic Blue

BMW M340i xDrive Review-8c31f14107084109a3e5a7e4c8fe566e.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 13th March 2021 at 00:12.
mobike008 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 18:38   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Little late to the party but last week has been very hectic. I managed to get a booking of the M340i, apparently the last car of this lot. Thanks to RSudarsanan. Couldn't get a colour choice as only Sunset Orange was available. Finally things fell into place with good friend and BHPian Viddy picking up my 328i. Today went to the dealership and checked out the two cars that has reached Bangalore. Orange looks great in flesh and going ahead with it. Looking forward to a having a great time with another turbo petrol. Thanks a lot to Karan561, AMG Power, DrAD, Diesel_Convert, Zebo.
robimahanta is offline   (32) Thanks

Most Viewed