Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2021, 23:57   #151
BHPian

Re: BMW M340i xDrive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
You are correct. However, my understanding is AKI being an average between MON and RON then AKI rating should be higher than the RON number that is available in Europe and India
Among MON and RON, MON has smaller numbers than RON. So, AKI values are below RON as it's an average.

Quote:
For Eg : 97 RON gas in Europe and India is equivalent to 91 Octane in US. Is this a correct understanding?
97 RON of EU/IN is around 93 in US/Canada.

The PON column in the below conversion chart shows approximate US numbers:
BMW M340i xDrive Review-octane_68639.jpg

Source

Last edited by Aditya : 25th March 2021 at 06:50. Reason: As requested
theredliner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 01:21   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
So most likely, 95 RON is what you get but I am not 100% sure.
Theredliner post below clarifies this now

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Among MON and RON, MON has smaller numbers than RON. So, AKI values are below RON as it's an average.

97 RON of EU/IN is around 93 in US/Canada
Thanks for that chart. Last post from me on this topic before it turns into a technical thread

To summarize, 93 Octane that I use for my Bimmer is equivalent to 97-98 RON in India. This is really good to know. I will continue to stick to this grade to feed the best fuel available (in a mass manner in the US) for the B58 engine

Glad I learnt something new today

Last edited by Aditya : 25th March 2021 at 06:51. Reason: Quoted text edited
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 11:02   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milin View Post
Wow she is a beauty . Congratulations on the buy and the lovely alloy spec.
Thanks Milin
Quote:
Also was your dealer - Navnit Motors?. There was a car undergoing a PDI check on Saturday at their Andheri workshop.
Nope, that can't be mine as I got delivery on Friday itself.
Quote:
try the 99 sometime and update the differences
Sure Sir !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshan Joshi View Post
I don't know you guys but I already hate you all ! LOL.

Quote:
Anyways do you guys plan to take your car for track days?
No immediate plans.
Quote:
I have a small question. Now that you have driven your car with these wheels, is there a noticeable increase performance and handling?
I haven't driven the M340i with the 18" Runflats hence can't compare. However my 19"ers with the Pilot Sport 4S (Regular Tubeless) tyres are giving me good ride quality even with low profile tyres @ 38 Psi.
Struggling with the TPMS because as soon as I go lower with the tyre pressure (say 33 psi) it shows low air pressure. Trying to find a way to reset the TPMS to lower air pressures.
About Handling, the car is still awaiting a long distance highway run, will report soon on that.
Currently working on the Delivery Video of the Collection Day. Should be revealed soon & shall share the link once its ready.
karan561 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 16:23   #154
BHPian

Quote:
That’s overseas, not here in India. As with many other Foreign brands, Shell has conveniently used a known trademark but provides no information on what’s octane of V-Power here in India. From what I understand, it’s regular octane but with some additives.
I would like to correct myself. I inquired from Shell India and they said that Shell V Power unleaded Petrol RON is 91.

See the attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW M340i xDrive Review-screenshot_3.jpg  

shaheenazk is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 23:32   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

I haven't driven the M340i with the 18" Runflats hence can't compare. However my 19"ers with the Pilot Sport 4S (Regular Tubeless) tyres are giving me good ride quality even with low profile tyres @ 38 Psi.
Struggling with the TPMS because as soon as I go lower with the tyre pressure (say 33 psi) it shows low air pressure. Trying to find a way to reset the TPMS to lower air pressures.
About Handling, the car is still awaiting a long distance highway run, will report soon on that.
Currently working on the Delivery Video of the Collection Day. Should be revealed soon & shall share the link once its ready.
I have set the cold pressure at 32 and my footwear is stock. The ride is definitely quite good. But the TPMS warning comes on everytime. It says don't exceed 130 km/h without inflating the tyres to 38 psi.

I have done around 650 km and I find myself revving up to 5000 rpm a few times. It is seriously impossible to keep myself in check

I drove to the Tamhini Ghat from Pune and the road from Mulshi Dam to the end of Tamhini is just unbelievable. Smooth tar surface completed only a couple of months ago. Lots of twisties and just perfect for the M340i to showcase its handling prowess ! I would highly recommend a drive here Karan.
Dieselite is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 17:15   #156
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Got her home today. What a lovely engine and gearbox combination.
Congrats Robimahanta. I spotted your car today(25th March) around 4:30pm on Old Airport road going towards Manipal Hospital. Once I realized it is an M340i, I looked inside and spotted you also The car is a head turner, it looks amazing.

Quote:
Waiting for your video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselite View Post
I have done around 650 km and I find myself revving up to 5000 rpm a few times. It is seriously impossible to keep myself in check
Congrats to Karan and Dieselite also. Looking forward to your reviews as all three of you have been existing BMW owners and how this beast is enthralling you guys

Last edited by sgm : 25th March 2021 at 17:39.
sgm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 22:09   #157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post
Congrats Robimahanta. I spotted your car today(25th March) around 4:30pm on Old Airport road going towards Manipal Hospital. Once I realized it is an M340i, I looked inside and spotted you also The car is a head turner, it looks amazing.
Sorry but Robi away 500km up the road. This car belonged to a friend of mine who just took delivery from Deutsch Motors, he was taking it to get the PPF done.

PS: He read this and told me about this!
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 23:22   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

The Car has a registration number matching the alloys

BMW M340i xDrive Review-82685cb94c6545369702751af36a85bd.jpg

Quote:
I would highly recommend a drive here Karan.
Done !
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post
Waiting for your video
Releasing tomorrow

Last edited by karan561 : 25th March 2021 at 23:25.
karan561 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 23:57   #159
BHPian

Both these cars are using the same engine and the smaller one has higher power! It is also lighter by almost 700 kg. The centre of gravity is significantly lower. I ended up parking next to my cousin and the moment I walked out of the car I was amused with the comparison. I can definitely park my M340 inside the X7 comfortably.

The M340 is returning a significant 8.4 kmpl purely in Pune city traffic. It easily returns 11 to 12 kmpl on highway drives. While the X7 returns around 6.1 kmpl in the same city drive and around 8 to 9 kmpl on the same highway runs.

In other news the Service Centre was instructed to reset the TPMS to 32 psi as the normal pressure but they instead increased it to 40 psi (from 38). But it does seem to be possible to alter the set levels. Maybe at the first service I should get it down ton34 psi.

Android Auto is really acting up quite a few times when streaming audio. Songs suddenly stop streaming smooth and there is a buffered playback which is driving me nuts !

Still looking for an excellent backdrop to photograph the car and post the images with a review.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW M340i xDrive Review-20210325_115323.jpg  

Last edited by Dieselite : 26th March 2021 at 00:00.
Dieselite is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 10:25   #160
BHPian

Quote:

Still looking for an excellent backdrop to photograph the car and post the images with a review.
Since you're in Pune, I can think of 2 good places you could take the car for a proper photo session -

Pune Race course - you'll probably have the company of other beautiful cars as well

Blue Ridge Golf course - It's in Hinjewadi but can make an interesting backdrop for your car.
Shreyas_H is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 10:36   #161
BHPian

The most appropriate meme for the photo ! Hope I'm not pulled up for spamming this thread
Attached Thumbnails
BMW M340i xDrive Review-collagemaker_20210326_103344406.jpg  

Dieselite is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 20:46   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Video: My BMW M340i: Delivery Experience (Stockyard to Showroom)

Its been exactly a week since I took delivery of my BMW M340i & its now time to share the entire Delivery Experience right from the Stockyard to the Showroom with all of you.

Video;

This video contains;

Some exclusive footage, shared 1st time in the video;

BMW M340i xDrive Review-screenshot-20210326-8.11.22-pm.png

Raw Content from the Stockyard, before the PDI;

BMW M340i xDrive Review-screenshot-20210326-8.13.46-pm.png

Unboxing Scenes;

BMW M340i xDrive Review-screenshot-20210326-8.15.14-pm.png

Rich with Content;

BMW M340i xDrive Review-screenshot-20210326-8.16.36-pm.png

& High On Emotions;

BMW M340i xDrive Review-screenshot-20210326-8.18.04-pm.png

After spending about a week with the car, here's a summary of my thoughts in the form of this quick review;

Build Quality, Colour & Exteriors;

BMW M340i xDrive Review-95a4fe23accd4617b26555a07f1785f5.jpg

The G20 in flesh is a very handsome looking car. One of the primary reasons for me buying the M340i other than the 6 Cyl Engine is the way the G20 looks. Very impressive in flesh. The Panel Gaps are minimal & have a good consistency to them. The Paint - Not sure that is it the Individual Paint (Given as a No Cost Option for India) i.e. Tanzanite Blue II Metallic (Paint Code: C3Z) or just a new car vibe, but the overall Paint Quality seems to have gone up v/s the F30 too. This colour has a multi personality to it, there is a violet, a blue and green in the sun & a overall Very Rich Metallic Content.

Front;

BMW M340i xDrive Review-screenshot-20210326-8.28.30-pm.png

I personally love the new Mesh Designed Cerium Grey Grille reserved for the M Performance models. It is a proper sized BMW kidney grille and not as polarising as the G80 M3's. It is encouraging to see the Vertical Vents (finished in Cerium Grey too) in the bumper to be functional. These small touches make the M340i incredibly special. The Laser Headlamps are such a looker. Haven’t really done a Highway Night Drive yet, will report on this later. They do support the Cornering function i.e. move with steering inputs.

Side;

BMW M340i xDrive Review-img_1795.jpg

^ Particularly for my car, is dominated by those lovely 19" 792M Wheels which adds to the entire much needed differentiation over the regular M Sport kit offered in the 330i. BTW my OE 18" 790M wheels which came stock on my M340i are for sale. Prospective buyers feel free to send me a Direct Message to my Inbox.

Rear;

BMW M340i xDrive Review-screenshot-20210326-8.28.38-pm.png

Coming to the rear, I love the entire rear stance of this gen 3 series. For the M340i it is enhanced further with the help of the trapezoidal exhaust (Finished in Cerium Grey), Sporty Diffuser & distinguished badging (Also in Cerium Grey). The Spoiler (Rear Lip) is humble and will need to be replaced with something sportier in the future. Overall the rear stance is helped with an aggressive negative camber (M Models Have more negative camber, so does this M Performance) of the Rear Wheels & 255 Wide Tyres.

Interiors;

BMW M340i xDrive Review-screenshot-20210326-8.29.02-pm.png

BMW has worked on the Interiors of the G20 very well it has a very modernised F30 feel to it. Definitely more spacious (Front and rear). Love the way the dashboard is tilted towards the driver, typical BMWness.
Also love the newly designed short Gear shifter;

BMW M340i xDrive Review-screenshot-20210326-8.29.13-pm.png

Few noteworthy features for me are the Large Head-Up Display (really grown in projection v/s the previous model), H&K System (Very Crisp) & the Digital Instrument Cluster (Love It). The Cabin Noise Levels are vastly improved over the F30. Quick negatives about the interior is that i was expecting an Alcantara style roof liner, which would have complimented the same material used on the seats.

Driving the M340i; (Engine Performance, Gearbox & Exhaust Note);

BMW M340i xDrive Review-img_1889.jpg

The Primary reason for my buy decision was the M340i's engine. The B58 Motor which it is but this is the upper limit B58 Motor. Allow me to elaborate. B58 came in some years back & was available on the F30 340i (Note. It was just 340i then). BMW gave an Technical Update(TU) & it derived 2 variations;

- B58B30M1 (BMW X7, X5 + Z4 & Supra - At launch)
- B58B30O1 (M340i, X3M40i X4M40i)

Let's break down the B58B30O1 engine Code;

B = BMW Group
5 = In Line 6 Cyl.
8 = TVDI (Turbo Valvetronic Direct Injection)
B = Petrol, Longitudinal Installation
3 = ]
0 = ] Both these numbers are the aprox. displacement, which in our case is 3L
O = Upper
1 = 1st Revision

Coming to the practicals, well the power & torque output is a lot. I am still running in the car so trying to abide by the running in guidelines hence haven't redlined the car yet nor tried an out and out 0-100.
But with 50-75% throttle input & manually shifting well before 5.5k RPM mark the performance feels strong enough. Looking forward to explore the 382 hp & 500 nm as soon as the running in is complete.
The Gearbox is simply fantastic & very quick shifting. Love the Downshifts too. In City its never jerky in Comfort or Eco. Overall really impressed with this ZF8.
The Exhaust Note in Sport+ is good & starting to start louder as I clock more kms on the odo (Presently just about 500) & the soot accumulation starts in the Pipes. But the balance of the exhaust sound is very good as its just enough "Not" Loud & also makes the Engine Sounds Audible.
Braking Performance is sharp & confidence inspiring so far, I'm sure it'll get better as the optimum braking is yet to reach.

Ride Quality & Handling;

BMW M340i xDrive Review-8dbda07357254493a50d777fe9ba0577.jpg

The car is very intuitive & predictable. Suspension is firm expectedly as its an M Sport Suspension but i am very satisfied with the ride quality thanks to the very exclusive, extreme performance summer tyre setup in the form of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S' which are very soft and grippy. Currently running 39 Psi all around in accordance with the TPMS recommendations . Still experimenting & have a strong belief that there is potential to get even better ride quality. Back to the handling, the stiffer chassis of the G20 is very rewarding and the car overall feels like a TIGHT handler even with the added weight of the XDrive system.

Booking/Buying Experience;

I had booked my car at BMW Navnit Motors, Mumbai. The overall dealership experience was smooth & guys at the dealership were transparent throughout the deal. Also thanks to BMW India for launching this car in India at an accessible price for the enthusiasts.

The Car So Far;

I Definitely don't regret buying this car & surely happy with my purchase decision. Still exploring the car & getting to know it better day by day & These were just my Initial Ownership thoughts after a few days of city driving and one 300+ kms Multi State Road Trip driving on the National Highway. In the coming days I intend to drive my M340i a lot more and post break in period will start penning down a Complete thorough review. Until then thank you all for the reading & Enjoy the Delivery Experience Video Posted above.

Last edited by karan561 : 26th March 2021 at 20:48.
karan561 is offline   (144) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 00:07   #163
Senior - BHPian

Re: Video: My BMW M340i: Delivery Experience (Stockyard to Showroom)

Quote:
Its been exactly a week since I took delivery of my BMW M340i & its now time to share the entire Delivery Experience right from the Stockyard to the Showroom with all of you.
Congratulations on the car buddy. I believe the performance is adequate for our roads .

Looking forward to a full-blown review once you break in the car.
ecenandu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 11:32   #164
Senior - BHPian

Re: Video: My BMW M340i: Delivery Experience (Stockyard to Showroom)

Quote:
Congratulations Karan on the M340i.

Could relate to each and every moment of the video, visiting stockyard & seeing your car for 1st time. All this brought back memories of X1.

Do create a separate ownership thread with all the details.

Keep munching trouble-free miles on the M340i.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 13:10   #165
BHPian

For people who are interested in the 340i, I believe the dealer in Chandigarh, Krishna Automobiles, has two vehicles in stock.

I was asked to come have a look (no test drive) but couldn't go as I was feeling under the weather. But from the way the sales guy was talking on the phone, it seemed as if these cars have not been booked by a customer. One of the colours is the Tanzanite Blue, if I remember correctly.

Definitely worth checking out if you are genuinely interested in picking up the car!
veedub89 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed