Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2021, 17:05   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Performance run figures and NVH comparison at
https://Youtu.be/bqNU37P4ebQ
From once table topper in terms of performance to bottom of the table, wish Ford gets the twin turbo soon! MG Gloster actually was quite surprising. While lot of folks have mentioned lot of lag and slow gearbox, heavier car has put impressive numbers.

Another observation, while the new motor of Endeavour is silent, the NVH figures are from a car with Active noise cancellation, the current models don't get the same.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 00:26   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Just got to know this.

The Fortuner’s ventilated seats are not specifically cooled one’s. What I mean is it will ventilate the seats on the basis of the temperature set in the climate control. If it’s set at 30C the seat ventilation will also be warm, since it is sucking in air thrown by the front AC vents.

This is could be the reason for those slightly cheap looking headlight adjuster-like controls in India.

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-54c2ed03b75d4a01a39cfcc6a775f64c.jpeg

Whereas had they been heated or cooled specifically, we would have got proper buttons like the Australian market gets.

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-1bcdb950e9b6481cad9df309b3dfa5df.png
CEF_Beasts is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 10:40   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Just got to know this.

The Fortuner’s ventilated seats are not specifically cooled one’s. What I mean is it will ventilate the seats on the basis of the temperature set in the climate control. If it’s set at 30C the seat ventilation will also be warm, since it is sucking in air thrown by the front AC vents.

This is could be the reason for those slightly cheap looking headlight adjuster-like controls in India.

Attachment 2160298

Whereas had they been heated or cooled specifically, we would have got proper buttons like the Australian market gets.

Attachment 2160297
The Indian version is just called Ventilated seats, the feature highlight video shows its suction based. Seats indeed blows air of same temperature as AC. Australian market gets heated seats. Barring rotary control knobs, Ventilated seats better suits our Indian condition. I think Australian Crusade variant don't get perforated seats either.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 10:54   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
The Indian version is just called Ventilated seats, the feature highlight video shows its suction based. Seats indeed blows air of same temperature as AC. Australian market gets heated seats. Barring rotary control knobs, Ventilated seats better suits our Indian condition.
Yes true, ventilated seats are much better for our climatic conditions!

Quote:
I think Australian Crusade variant don't get perforated seats either.
Yes, Australian and even South African versions don't get perforated seats.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 10:21   #170
Senior - BHPian

An observation about Connected car service- Carot. Other than cheeky Notification like"Going like a Rocket" when you are overspeeding, just like many other connected car service this one is of not much use. That said there is a difference- while I see people using other apps report of disconnections, showing incorrect data etc., one in fortuner is consistent and almost accurate. Just like Toyota it's not feature rich, but whatever feature it has works well without any glitches.
Old 30th May 2021, 23:52   #171
BHPian

My family and I did test drives on two different Fortuners-- a Diesel 4x4 AT and a Petrol AT.

In both cars, we observed the steering wheel did not return to center after a 90/180 degree turn. It began to center, but stopped at an approximately 20 degree offset from center following a steep turn. This resulted in us having to provide a manual input on the steering wheel following the turn to center it and keep the car going straight.

Question for owners: have you observed this in your vehicles? After the SA was asked about it, he said its normal for the Fortuner and is present on most SUVs. Not entirely convinced though and this might end up being a deal breaker for us.
Old 31st May 2021, 00:08   #172
Kln
BHPian

Question for current owners or anyone who's had any experience in this - how can the ride quality of Fortuner be improved? Does the Rogerab piece work?
Old 31st May 2021, 09:39   #173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
The Fortuner’s ventilated seats are not specifically cooled one’s. What I mean is it will ventilate the seats
I don't think they have cooled seats on Fortuner or even LC200. Most manufacturers mention ventilated seats only including BMW & MB. Regarding the controls, I remember these resembling the GX base models from Lexus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNG19 View Post
This resulted in us having to provide a manual input on the steering wheel following the turn to center it and keep the car going straight.
It's a good idea to always keep your hand on the steering even when the steering is trying to self-centre and do the final adjustment. How much it comes back, will depend on a lot of factors, like the speed, type of tread. Frankly, I won't even check a vehicle for this as it's just physics and not a feature or lack of it perse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
Question for current owners or anyone who's had any experience in this - how can the ride quality of Fortuner be improved? Does the Rogerab piece work?
That bush will most likely change the spring characteristics and the results can be even worse. The only way is to keep the pressure down around 30 but you cannot change the overall comfort. Have to move to monocoque type or something with air suspension.

Last edited by Turbanator : 31st May 2021 at 09:53.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 10:14   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Question for owners: have you observed this in your vehicles? After the SA was asked about it, he said its normal for the Fortuner and is present on most SUVs. Not entirely convinced though and this might end up being a deal breaker for us.
This never occured to me and after driving 6K, steering appears normal/similar to other cars. Yes its Hydraulic and is on heavier side but thats about it.

Quote:
Avoid Rogerab, this will most likely make the ride worse. Easiest is to swap to 17 inchers, which offers better ride. If you want to stick to 18 inchers, keep pressure at 27-28, recommended is 29. Don't expect monocoque like ride on patchy roads, if you are used to Body on frames, you will get used to after couple of rides.
Old 31st May 2021, 12:48   #175
BHPian

Quote:
I haven't experienced it and even driven my car on hills with many hairpin bends. So, nothing is wrong in my opinion with the steerring setup. It is heavier than sedans as mentioned by Pride red, but its the charecterstic of the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
If you want to stick to 18 inchers, keep pressure at 27-28, recommended is 29. Don't expect monocoque like ride on patchy roads, if you are used to Body on frames, you will get used to after couple of rides.
First 1000 kms were done on 32PSI all around and the ride quality was not great. Changed it to 29PSI on all and there is a bit of improvement, but yes better than the earlier pressure.
Slushmaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 13:26   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I haven't faced any issue with the steering system as you mentioned. In fact, I like the slightly heavy steering of the car.
getsurya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 14:31   #177
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
My family and I did test drives on two different Fortuners-- a Diesel 4x4 AT and a Petrol AT.

In both cars, we observed the steering wheel did not return to center after a 90/180 degree turn. It began to center, but stopped at an approximately 20 degree offset from center following a steep turn. This resulted in us having to provide a manual input on the steering wheel following the turn to center it and keep the car going straight.

Could well be a characteristic of super-fat tyres in such big SUVs or be a case of less than optimal air pressure. Since the self-centering torque comes from the caster angle of the wheel's steering axis ; if it doesn't happen, it could only be because something is not allowing free movement of the ball joint or if the outer edges of the tyre contact patch is gripping too well with the road.

Last edited by venkyhere : 31st May 2021 at 14:32.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 18:45   #178
Kln
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi, I haven't faced any issue with the steering system as you mentioned. In fact, I like the slightly heavy steering of the car.
Hi, I actually meant the suspension. Is it tiring to drive for long periods of time? Does it keep moving constantly?
Kln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 20:17   #179
BHPian

Quote:

Didn't notice it and I have to take pretty sharp turn to get into my basement parking. I do have the habit of letting the steering rotate back completely but I don't think I wait for it to completely stop before taking control. I stop the rotation as soon as I feel the car has straightened up. It might be possible the steering is not centred in the vehicles you drove, one of the way to check is with wheel direction in MID. It won't help with minor deviation though.

Quote:
Hi, I actually meant the suspension. Is it tiring to drive for long periods of time? Does it keep moving constantly?
Drove over 650kms continuously immediately after delivery and this was my first experience with a body on frame vehicle, I was only used to sedans. The suspension doesn't move as it is pretty stiff but you feel every small undulation on road due to stiffness which I got used to now and don't notice anymore. I wasn't tired at all in that journey nor did I feel the same in city. I used to feel tired in Verna on long trips but Fiesta was again a gem to drive. Highways is where Fortuner outclasses its rivals with it's stability and power on offer.

Fortuner steering might tire you a bit in slow speeds if you are not used to heavy steering and lack a bit of muscle power. I found the steering more comfortable after a month of working out in gym and could drive with single hand to Airport which is 40 km away from my place. Having said that Fortuner steering and suspension are not the strong points for everyday use but they are in no way bad, just not the best.

Last edited by Technic90 : 31st May 2021 at 20:19.
Technic90 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 22:56   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you haven't used body on frame SUVs earlier, you would take time to adjust to its characteristics. I'm used to them from almost 20 years now and am actually very happy with the new Facelift Fortuner riding dynamics!
getsurya is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed