Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2021, 10:42   #436

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementj View Post
Thank you for the review. Our in laws got one a couple of months ago and I had the opportunity to take it around the city and on the highways. I d agree with all your observations. The car is a lot more refined than the previous generation and the additional power is a welcome addition.

But the ride quality is something we have found to be very bothersome. We hadn't taken a test drive as the dealership (Lanson Chennai) did not offer one given the demand. On day to day use on bad roads, we find that the fortuner throws the occupants around like no other and ride is far.. far from plush.

Chennai roads post the heavy rainfall episodes should have been the ideal surface for the Fortuner but the family prefers to use the Innova crysta for day to day use as they find it a lot more comfortable.

If you are considering it, take a longish drive and make sure that it works for you.
I absolutely agree with your point. The Fortuner gobles the road easily but as you have mentioned its ride is quite busy. Every moment its some or the other way a movement is noticed. Its due to the Body On Frame Nature of the Vehicle.
Old 30th November 2021, 14:28   #437
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving the 2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 Diesel Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya Patel View Post
The left stalk is for wipers and washer and wipers are automatic too and the right stalk controls headlamps and signals.
Are you sure this has got added. My 2021 Aug 4X4 AT Fortuner doesn't have auto wipers, and this is one feature I missed badly when I moved from BMW to 2013 Fortuner
gadadhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 14:38   #438
BHPian

Re: Driving the 2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 Diesel Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya Patel View Post
Its due to the Body On Frame Nature of the Vehicle.
The Endeavour was a body on frame too but it had excellent ride quality. Some BOFs can do it well, but not the Fortuner, even though the 2021 version is the most comfortable Fortuner till date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Are you sure this has got added. My 2021 Aug 4X4 AT Fortuner doesn't have auto wipers, and this is one feature I missed badly
My August 2021 Fortuner also does not have auto wipers. Did that get added in the October update? Do not think so
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 15:19   #439

Actually Regarding the Auto Wipers, I didn’t personally check it out but the Sales Executive at the Dealership informed me that Fortuner got it recently. And as far as ride is concerned the Endeavour had soft suspension setup as compared to the Fortuner’s hard one as I did notice few thudding sounds when passing over potholes in the Fortuner
Sanidhya Patel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 15:19   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementj View Post
But the ride quality is something we have found to be very bothersome.
Try ensuring tyre pressure is 29. The ride quality significantly improves at that and gets poor if you do 31+psi

Last edited by Sheel : 30th November 2021 at 16:16. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed.
channelv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 16:33   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by channelv View Post
Try ensuring tyre pressure is 29. The ride quality significantly improves at that and gets poor if you do 31+psi
Very true. 29 or 28 is sensible and do not go with anything more. When we bought our car, the dealer had it at 38!!! It was a roller coaster as our district beats the Mars craters. If they redo the road, they will ensure atleast 1 km is left to provide some spine and headache tests in any part of Coorg.
maddy42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 11:49   #442
cnu
BHPian

What is the right thing to do if the DPF auto regeneration is in progress but you have reached your destination ? Should we keep the engine idling till regen completes or is it OK to shut the engine off (assuming regen will restart when the engine is started again) ?
Old 8th December 2021, 12:57   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by channelv View Post
Yes. 29 is recommended tyre pressure. However at most of Petrol Pumps, they pump in 32 psi. There is a vast difference in ride quality at 29 psi as compared to 32 psi.
Old 8th December 2021, 20:02   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
My 2021 Aug 4X4 AT Fortuner doesn't have auto wipers, and this is one feature I missed badly when I moved from BMW to 2013 Fortuner
Fortuner still does not come with auto-wipers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
The Endeavour was a body on frame too but it had excellent ride quality.
It did, but at the cost of handling. Ford softened the suspension on the Endeavour with the 2019 facelift, and the Endeavour never handled the same again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu View Post
What is the right thing to do if the DPF auto regeneration is in progress but you have reached your destination?
Regen will restart when you start the engine again, but the recommendation is to let the engine run till the regen is completed, provided it did not start just before your arrived at your destination (which would mean keeping the engine running at idle for longer).
cool_dube is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 15:34   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Fortuner still does not come with auto-wipers.
That is my understanding as well, but got confused when I saw on this thread in list of inclusions
Old 14th December 2021, 11:16   #446
BHPian

Folks,

It's decision time for me. I have been longing to get an SUV for quite some time. I had a 2019 Ford Freestyle 1.5 TDCi, which I sold off in Jul'20 due to limited usage during lockdown. I had a 2011 Honda City V-AT which was a gem throughout my ownership period, which was sold off in Feb'21. I picked up a new Polo 1.0 TSi (Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review) as a stop gap arrangement and a small car which would be needed for city runs. I and my wife both drive this car and are quite happy with it for city usage. It's in fact pretty decent for Highway as well, but somehow feels small not forgetting the cramped back seats and limited boot space. It leaves me wanting for more especially on highways and bad roads.

As everyone else, I too want to get to the SUV bandwagon, but my heart wouldn't let me settle for any crossover. I am now split between a Jeep Compass (Model S, Diesel) and the Fortuner in the guise of Legender (4x4).
Listing my predicament below
  1. Jeep Compass meets more than my purpose of owning an SUV with it's nice form factor while Toyota seems to be that "proper" butch SUV with optional 3 rows of seats for a possible long expedition
  2. Toyota offers peace of mind while Jeep's service is a hit or miss
  3. Jeep offers better ride quality, but would definitely have far lesser residual value
  4. Jeep would be cheaper by a good 12 lakhs than the Legender, but I am in a position to work out on the
  5. Missus insists on going all the way with Toyota for a no nonsense ownership experience and "Peace of Mind"
  6. Jeep's gearbox and in general the performance was nothing to be excited about. The manual Compass feels incredibly better to drive but the automatic gearbox is nothing to write home about
  7. Jeep Compass is more livable in Bangalore city for sure
I plan to keep this car for a good 10-12 years to come and I am quite aware that both of these cars are plagued with DPF issues especially with only City usage.
I am not so keen on looking at a VW Tiguan as I don't find it of much value and my experience with VW service is strictly average.

With all the above thoughts, I am unable to make up my mind. My heart is inclining towards the Legender 4x4. Requesting esteemed members for their thoughts/opinions
hellraizer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 21:17   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraizer View Post
It's decision time for me
You might want to read through this (Jeep Compass 4x4 vs Toyota Fortuner Legender 4x4 | EDIT: Getting the Compass Model S) thread.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 15:43   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraizer View Post
With all the above thoughts, I am unable to make up my mind. My heart is inclining towards the Legender 4x4. Requesting esteemed members for their thoughts/opinions
With everything that you have said in your post & my experience owning multiple 4x4 Toyota Fortuners in the last couple of years, i would absolutely recommend it.

However, with the price difference between the jeep compass & the Fortuner being so significant, it is more a question of what you are comfortable spending on a car.

I would still suggest going for the regular 4x4 AT though. I personally do not see any value in the Legender 4x4 AT, that makes the premium over the regular 4x4 AT justifiable.
CalmConquests is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 10:16   #449
Senior - BHPian

https://www.cartoq.com/2021-toyota-f...oks-brilliant/

My Fortuner dechroming has got featured on cartoq, it seems content is taken from Team BHP and the author has given the credits.

Though I am happy about the positive comments, I was wondering if the author need to take permission from BHP or from myself before publishing it
Old 21st December 2021, 12:02   #450
BHPian

Took delivery of Fortuner 4x4 MT Avant Garde Bronze yesterday. Will be exploring more in the coming days. 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-whatsapp-image-20211220-5.07.52-pm.jpeg
ViMo is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed