Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2022, 18:57   #646
BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

My Carot app stopped working, and asking me to enter Device ID. Is this because it has completed 1 year?Any helpline number, help@carot.com is bouncing back.Any clue to get this fixed?It was pretty handy from security stand point.
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-screenshot_20220522185440.jpg
Old 22nd May 2022, 19:28   #647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1881 View Post
My Carot app stopped working, and asking me to enter Device ID. Is this because it has completed 1 year?Any helpline number, help@carot.com is bouncing back.Any clue to get this fixed?It was pretty handy from security stand point.
Attachment 2311504
Carot app is paid up for 3 years, so must be technical glitch.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 00:49   #648
BHPian

Can anyone kindly share the latest price list for the Fortuner (Bangalore)?
Old 25th May 2022, 08:55   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
Can anyone kindly share the latest price list for the Fortuner (Bangalore)?
Here you go, this is from late April.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fortuner Pricelist - 01.04.2022.pdf (514.0 KB, 467 views)
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 08:43   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1881 View Post
Attachment 2311504
How did you register and activate the carot app initially ? Any guidance would be helpful.
Old 27th May 2022, 08:57   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstalk_230 View Post
How did you register and activate the carot app initially ? Any guidance would be helpful.
Talk to your dealer/salesperson. They will activate it for you. It was done so in my case.
Old 1st June 2022, 21:07   #652
BHPian

Finally got our 4x2 AT home today. Brother had to pull a few strings to get the car but we got it in a week's time from booking it, that too in our preferred 'Super White' colour and 'Chamois' interior theme.

Thumbs up to Uttam Toyota team as they meticulously explained every feature and always kept smiling while trying their best to accommodate our requests. Really impressed with their professionalism.

The car is effortless to drive in traffic and the headlights seem to be fantastic, atleast in the city. I'll add more once i have some experience with the car.

Here is my niece posing with her beast.

P.S we had earlier booked it but then cancelled it because there was no clarity in timelines*
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img20220601wa0094.jpg  

Last edited by Doonite : 1st June 2022 at 21:15.
Doonite is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 12:29   #653
BHPian

I am in a serious dilemma! Looking for a 7 seater. Booked XUV 700 and delivery is scheduled for next month. Due to the “great resignation” I extended my budget to 70L. Now the real problem starts. Took a test drive of GLA AMG35. Loved the vehicle, but wife rejected due to cramped seating and low or no trunk space with the spare wheel in the trunk. Gloster- Dint like the looks and the MG branding, features are impressive. Jeep meridian - Looks good, but 168BHP, feel it’s underpowered for a huge SUV - a stretched compass. Alturas - Looks again and not sure when Mahindra will stop this model. Skoda kodaiq: Sold out till 2023, was actually an option considering the features and comfort(monocoque). Volvo XC 40 also out due to less trunk space. Next was XC60 (little ove the budget)and wife came with a new suggestion to get a 7 seater so that we can take the canine companion along. Now I am back to square one, my first love - Fortuner. I feel there is absolutely no other 7 seater in the market.

I use my 2016 thar as a daily commuter and highway use. Prefer thar over my polo due to the seating position and driving polo gives me knee pain. Even though I enjoy long drives on thar, it’s not the case with my wife and son. It’s too bumpy and wife curses the thar (and me) the whole 8-10 hours(even in sleep :P).

Coming to my question- how comfortable do you guys think fortuner is? Will my family keep cursing me for another 5-7 years until my next change? I took a test drive and I m really happy with the beast. Both front and middle row seems ok for me considering my thar experience. Wife had an ok impression about fortuner, ride quality is better than Thar, interior is ok, no sunroof. S”The only time I take family on fortuner is going to be family visits to Wayanad, Chikmagalur, mangalore and vacations(mostly highways). And I can enjoy the bad roads in bangalore without caring about the potholes like the way I do in my thar. Any other alternatives to Fortuner, or should I stick with XUV 700 and save some money? Appreciate your thoughts!
febin8055 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 13:16   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by febin8055 View Post
I am in a serious dilemma! Looking for a 7 seater. Booked XUV 700 and delivery is scheduled for next month. Due to the “great resignation” I extended my budget to 70L. Now the real problem starts. Took a test drive of GLA AMG35. Loved the vehicle, but wife rejected due to cramped seating and low or no trunk space with the spare wheel in the trunk. Gloster- Dint like the looks and the MG branding, features are impressive. Jeep meridian - Looks good, but 168BHP, feel it’s underpowered for a huge SUV - a stretched compass. Alturas - Looks again and not sure when Mahindra will stop this model. Skoda kodaiq: Sold out till 2023, was actually an option considering the features and comfort(monocoque). Volvo XC 40 also out due to less trunk space. Next was XC60 (little ove the budget)and wife came with a new suggestion to get a 7 seater so that we can take the canine companion along. Now I am back to square one, my first love - Fortuner. I feel there is absolutely no other 7 seater in the market.

I use my 2016 thar as a daily commuter and highway use. Prefer thar over my polo due to the seating position and driving polo gives me knee pain. Even though I enjoy long drives on thar, it’s not the case with my wife and son. It’s too bumpy and wife curses the thar (and me) the whole 8-10 hours(even in sleep :P).

Coming to my question- how comfortable do you guys think fortuner is? Will my family keep cursing me for another 5-7 years until my next change? I took a test drive and I m really happy with the beast. Both front and middle row seems ok for me considering my thar experience. Wife had an ok impression about fortuner, ride quality is better than Thar, interior is ok, no sunroof. S”The only time I take family on fortuner is going to be family visits to Wayanad, Chikmagalur, mangalore and vacations(mostly highways). And I can enjoy the bad roads in bangalore without caring about the potholes like the way I do in my thar. Any other alternatives to Fortuner, or should I stick with XUV 700 and save some money? Appreciate your thoughts!
If you want a reliable 7 seater without any fuss and drama then fortuner is a sensible buy because XUV700 on the other hand is a new product and there are high chances of you facing issues with that vehicle, but then if you prefer features over peace of mind and want a better ride and a car with gizmos then XUV700 it is. On the other hand fortuner has a outstanding engine and paired with a decent transmission but ride quality can be a hit or a miss. I would suggest you to go for the fortuner because as you have mentioned that thar was your daily ride then fortuner ride quality wouldn't bother you much. It's a 5+2 seater car, last row good for 2 kids and still it has decent boot capacity.
zaid qazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 13:45   #655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you and your family are used to previous gen Thar, Fortuner 2021 will be comfortable. It's perfect for touring on highways and ride gets better with load . If you are looking for Body on Frame SUV Fortuner is you're best bet now. Gloster impresses with feature list, but drive experience was not to my liking. XUV700 to me is a great package but issues reported is a bit of concern. I am sure Mahindra will iron out these over time.
PrideRed is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 14:18   #656
BHPian

Quote:
I am in a serious dilemma! Looking for a 7 seater.
In my opinion, you should also check Innova Crysta. It'll be more comfortable than Fortuner. Also, as per your post, I don't think you need 4*4 vehicle as this need is fulfilled by Thar.
With this, even buying Fortuner 4*2 is also not logical if we talk in terms of pure comfort.

Wouldn't recommend Kia Carnival due to low ground clearance and possible underbody scraping as you would encounter bad roads quite often. Otherwise, a good alternative luxurious MPV.
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 16:08   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhupesh_2628 View Post
In my opinion, you should also check Innova Crysta. It'll be more comfortable than Fortuner. Also, as per your post, I don't think you need 4*4 vehicle as this need is fulfilled by Thar.
With this, even buying Fortuner 4*2 is also not logical if we talk in terms of pure comfort.
Thanks Bhupesh! I forgot tor mention that I am not keeping the Thar. Parking for a 3rd car is a problem. I will need 4X4 or at least an AWD to reach all the way up my estate in chikamangalur. In rainy season 2 wheel drive vehicles won’t make it.

Last edited by febin8055 : 5th June 2022 at 16:33. Reason: Update, spell check
febin8055 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 06:49   #658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am in a serious dilemma! Appreciate your thoughts!
Hi Febin8055, just go ahead and book a Fortuner 4x4 AT and you will be happy ever after! It will make you smile for all your incity, hills, estate runs and much more. It will ensure that you have a dependable true blooded SUV, at your beck and call. I tell you this with all my experiences with two models of Fortuners, so far!
getsurya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 12:18   #659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Coming to my question- how comfortable do you guys think fortuner is?
I'm afraid the best people to answer this question are you and your family members

Ride comfort is relative - what is comfortable for me might be bone-jarring for you. Fortuner is arguably the best choice in the market today when it comes to a rugged, go-anywhere, ladder-frame SUV (4x4 is icing on the cake, that too with MT if one is inclined) BUT it is certainly not the most plush of rides out there. It all boils down to your (and your family's) priorities. I would strongly recommend taking a longish (20 km at a minimum) test drive on all kinds of terrain with your family and then decide. And yes, do not forget to have tyre pressure checked before test drive - an over-inflation of even 5 PSI is enough to influence one's decision. All the best, and do keep us posted
cool_dube is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 16:56   #660
BHPian

Went out with my family to local Hyatt yesterday which is approximately 23 kilometres from my home, and got an experience of the car in both rush hour slow moving traffic as well as empty roads where i could stretch the car's legs a bit.

This is the first automatic car I've driven in my life and trust me when i say this, it took me less than a minute to get used to it. I can already feel my love for manual transmissions waning by the minute.

Without further ado, I'll list out the observations that i have:

• Engine & Transmission

This is a gem of an engine. I've driven the 3.0L manual Fortuner (2015 model) extensively and this 2.8L engine just sounds so so smooth. The damping is excellent with only engine growl being heard at higher rpms. The car literally leaps ahead if i smash the accelerator and that put a good scare in my elder folk.

The Transmission feels like it's hunting for gears at lower speeds 10-40kmph which can be clearly felt if you're a car person, but overall I'm satisfied and it doesn't feel like i need to plan an overtake. Just changing lanes and feathering the accelerator does the job(no need to smash it). Climbing uphill is a piece of cake as the car feels it's sitting on huge reserves of torque even with 7 passengers on board.

I tried the 'S' mode as well as the road to the hotel property is under construction and is 4 km-ish distance downhill from the main road. I just put the car in S1 using the paddle shifters and literally glided down the road (chefs kiss). I haven't used the hill descent control as i don't know how to use it works yet.

I agree with the official review that 'eco' mode is the best for city use as 'sports' mode just makes the car too jerky if you don't modulate the accelerator pedal carefully.
  • Presence & Visibility

The car has fantastic road presence and despite there being so many Fortuners already on our roads, people still turn their heads to look at it. The jaywalkers and two wheeler do respect the presence but only sometimes. It's way better than my Ertiga though.

The frontal visibility is fantastic from the driver seat as well as the co passenger seats. Powered adjustments help a lot in finding the right driving position.

The rear view from IRVM is strictly average with a 3rd passenger on the middle row seat, not that visibility is great even with the seat left vacant. The IRVM being powered is a boon and I realise now, how great a feature it is.

The big ORVMs and reversing camera make life easy but i can totally understand a newbie who hasn't driven big cars struggling to maneuver and park this beast in tight spaces.
  • NVH

Coming from an Ertiga, the NVH levels are fantastic on this car with the outside noise staying outside.
    I was pleasantly surprised as the wheel wells don't seem to have much cladding. The engine note as mentioned earlier is soft and pleasing to the ears and the horn isn't heard much inside the car either.
    Going downhill on a gravel road didn't trasmit any noise into the cabin at all.
  • Ride Quality & Comfort

The car gives you the feeling that you're sitting in a tank. Sitting in an Audi A4 gave me the same feeling.
    The suspension feels solid (firm) when going over bumps and is you always hear a muted sound. At low speeds, one has to slow down for the sharp speed breakers no matter what but at higher speeds, if you miss spotting a breaker, just go over it on speed and it doesn't faze the car even one bit. It's that stable for a behemoth.

The car does make you feel it's size on curves and the body roll can be felt but at no point does the car make you feel nervous or uncomfortable. I get nauseous in the last row seats of most cars, but even on a full stomach, I felt nothing of that sort in the Fortuner.

Overall, if i need to pick a car between Innova and Fortuner (4x2 with zero off roading) and have the money, I would still buy the Fortuner over Innova every single time. The presence and the looks alone are enough which make driving easy as people move out of the way, don't cut lanes etc. and this may just be me, i find the comfort to be not so different in both the car's. My point of reference is the old Innova which was replaced by the Crysta.
  • Features & Miscellaneous Observation

Well, what features? LOL. The Fortuner is shockingly low on features for a car at this price point. Nowadays, everyone right from kids to elders love exploring car features and well, their excitement ended when i took 30 minutes maximum to explain all the car features. My elder folk asked me: is that it? I could only smile sheepishly.

Oh well, the features Fortuner does have, work well and that's what's important.
    I'll summarise the good and not so good factors of the car, with observations apart from what I've already stated above.

The Good

- The AC is fantastic on all rows but gets excessively loud at higher blower speeds. The Dual zone feature is great and is being used all the time as my father prefers a less colder temperature while i need the air as cold as ice age, if possible.

- The seat ventilation is good but not great. Even at highest setting, i felt that it could be better for sure.

- Passenger side visor has both mirror cover and illumination. I actually forgot to check the driver side visor so i won't say anything about it yet.

- Powered tailgate is a good to have feature and will surely come in handy.

- Request sensors on door is such a great feature. No need to take key out of pocket again.

- The headlights are great (in city) but do get faded out when someone is coming from the opposite side with equally powerful lights. The Rear foglamps are bright (will be useful in low visibility conditions) and enhance the looks as well.

- Lots of space in the cabin with an adjustable middle row seat. It can comfortably seat 3 people abreast as well. Both front seat back pockets get nifty foldable hooks. The door pockets are big enough to hold 1 litre bottles. The middle row additional gets AC blower controls which can be set to Auto or Manual (Gloster gets a full climate control console for the rear)

- Factory tinted glass makes life easier but I still feel that i would need to buy sun shades.

- Puddle lamps under the ORVMs and warning lamps on doors are bright and a good to have feature.

The Bad

- The car has lots of scratchy plastic all around which doesn't look or feel good. Hopefully they don't squeak over time.

- The infotainment system and the music quality is shockingly average. Stock system of Ertiga sounds much, much better. The screen is responsive to touch but the system overall has no place in a 40 lakh SUV.

- The middle row under thigh support feels inadequate for an average height person like myself. Can't imagine how it would be for taller folks.

- The low beam is 100% going to be useless on highways as it's angled too low. If i ride on decent speeds, I'll need to use high beam all the time.

- Wheel well cladding or the lack of it, is an eyesore.

- The heavy bonnet doesn't have gas struts and I would say it's dangerous for a person with light build to open it without full attention or being distracted. The Hilux bed door which is heavy enough, almost caught me off guard and could've injured anyone standing close as it literally fell the moment i opened it as i had thought it would have pneumatic struts.

- No sunroof is a B-I-G miss. The weather in Dehradun as well as in nearby hilltowns would've allowed liberal use of the sunroof and upped the cabin ambience.

- The process of latching the seats back after people have moved to the third row is not for old or thinly built people as the seats are heavy and require some offered to be put back in.

-x-

I may have missed some points as the time spent with the car has been brief but i tried my best to recollect everything and pen it down. My s20+ camera is malfunctioning and does not take pictures properly, so i apologize for the not so clear pictures. This is also the reason for not posting more pictures.

To conclude, this car is for people who love to be in the driver's seat and don't care much about features. Dare i say, Fortuner is an enthusiast's car. There is nothing of note to wow the family with, and honestly, most people will find it hard to justify paying so much for this car.

Am i a madman for being in sports mode throughout, in rush hour traffic?
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img20220606wa0035.jpg

At the Hotel.
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img20220606wa0034.jpg

Last edited by Doonite : 6th June 2022 at 17:03.
Doonite is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks