Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2022, 21:18   #721
BANNED

When did the price for Fortuner 4x2 AT increase by 61K? In July 2022?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Hi What did the accessories cost you ? I just booked mine day before 2x4 AT - promised delivery in about 4-6 weeks - wanted basic accessories like the ones you did.
Which city sir? Its hard to find 4-6 week delivery anywhere

Last edited by bblost : 2nd July 2022 at 21:38. Reason: back to back.
Old 2nd July 2022, 22:56   #722
BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalClank View Post

Which city sir? Its hard to find 4-6 week delivery anywhere
Increased prices for all variants updated on Toyota’s website y’day.
Old 2nd July 2022, 23:37   #723
BHPian

Quote:
~60k for the 4x2s and 80k from 1st July for the 4x4s for probably no feature upgrade.

Price increases are a quarterly feature for Fortuner now since October 2021- appalling greed, must say.

Unique way for Toyota to respond to those who feel the Fortuner is overpriced, especially after the launch of the very well priced and well specced Scorpio.

Last edited by achyutaghosh : 2nd July 2022 at 23:42.
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 23:48   #724

Quote:
When had you booked your 4x2 AT Diesel and which location please?
I booked in mid-Feb 2022 with the initial verbal delivery commitment 'On or before 31 March 2022'
But eventually had to wait for 4 months.
The location is Noida, NCR Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Hi What did the accessories cost you ?
Below is the dealer list of accessories -
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-accessories.jpg

I went for items in serial numbers 2, 10, 26, 34 and 37.

Like the car, accessories from OEM also seem to be overpriced but I would suggest if, electronics is involved go with OEM only.
Also, aftermarket claddings seem much value for money but if they have chrome elements, pls try to stick to OEM only as inferior quality chrome gets rusted very easily and in no way you can check the chrome durability in a new piece since all of them shine alike.
Old 3rd July 2022, 09:57   #725
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
~60k for the 4x2s and 80k from 1st July for the 4x4s for probably no feature upgrade.

Price increases are a quarterly feature for Fortuner now since October 2021- appalling greed, must say.

Unique way for Toyota to respond to those who feel the Fortuner is overpriced, especially after the launch of the very well priced and well specced Scorpio.
Even I am appalled by the uncontrolled price increase every quarter by Toyota for the Fortuner. Its spiraling out of control.

Here are the rates I have kept track of for the 4x2 AT Diesel version:

Mar 2021 - 34.84 L
Apr 2021 - 35.20 L
Oct 2021 - 35.51 L
Jan 2022 - 36.17 L
Apr 2022 - 36.57 L
Jul 2022 - 37.18 L
Oct 2022 - ??
Jan 2023 - ??

So from March 2021 to Jul 2022, the price increase is 2.34L!!! That's about 15K increase every month!
  1. How many of you are contemplating cancelling your Fortuner booking due to the ever increasing cost?
  2. Is it possible that the dealers buy the units earlier and keep it with them till the prices increase? This would amount to fraud, but wondering if dealers are doing this?

Last edited by MetalClank : 3rd July 2022 at 10:10. Reason: Typo
MetalClank is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 14:41   #726
BHPian

Quote:
  1. How many of you are contemplating cancelling your Fortuner booking due to the ever increasing cost?
  2. Is it possible that the dealers buy the units earlier and keep it with them till the prices increase? This would amount to fraud, but wondering if dealers are doing this?
What else is there to buy besides Fortuner? A Gloster with that wheezy 2.0 liter engine or the Alturas, which it's own manufacturer isn't sure about?

Demand in north is such, dealers don't have any stock and whatever they have, they're selling with 1 lakh+ worth of accessories otherwise you're welcome to wait. Even if they are keeping the units, they clearly state prices at the time of delivery shall be applicable.
Stolidus500 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 15:23   #727
Senior - BHPian

This is the best vehicle to get off you want to keep the depreciation hit to a minimum, resale is high and easy. The competition is non existent and Toyota hasn't compromised on quality, I can't think of a single brand that can take on Toyota in this segment in India.

If I had the money, this is the only vehicle I'll consider, go anywhere capability, powerful and reliable power train with amazing resale, nothing comes close. Pricing power is a sign of desirability, can you think of any other vehicle with similar mind share?
avira_tk is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 18:50   #728
BHPian

Quote:
I booked on 29th march and on 02/04 sales rep sent me the revised rate list with increase,thankfully i got delivery of the car on 26th June! Now the price has again been hiked and in all probability will be hiked around diwali as well.
I feel toyota is the new bitcoin in the market! And yes as a customer who bought the car before the price hike i know for a fact that within the next 3 years toyota will increase the price By around 3-4 lakhs more if not even greater then this. What that means for me is,that when we will sell the vehicle in the 3rd year, i will be getting a sum that will be pretty close to what i paid for it in the first place, also the 3 years that this is in our books we claim it as tax deductible. In an earlier post i believe a gentleman mentioned selling his 2020 fortuner for the same amount he bought it for, and again booking a new 2022 model. This is good for existing customers and will always propogate brand loyalty,when one is getting good service a reliable product, no horror stories like other manufacturers have which are ever present on our forums.

Also sir please visit a toyota showroom forget stocking up on fortuner's you will only see a couple and not more and delivered as soon as they arrive, so point of stocking actually never arises. I am
Pretty happy i went for this, will surely buy it again 3 years down the line depending on the scenario then

However what i feel is that the company should provide price protection in some way for customers who have booked the car, and ex showroom price for that particular date be taken into account,that should really be benificial for customers waiting for their cars.

Last edited by Born 2 Be Wild : 3rd July 2022 at 18:54.
Born 2 Be Wild is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 19:08   #729
Senior - BHPian

So, Toyota does it again - price hike on the Fortuner has become more or less a quarterly affair now. And folks in my circles were talking about Fortuner feeling the heat from the launch of incredibly VFM Scorpio-N It is as if the big bosses at TKM are underscoring the unchallenged dominance enjoyed by the Fortuner, and being snobbish about it. To put things in perspective, the 4x4 variants of the Fortuner have become costlier by ₹ 3,40,000 since the launch of the facelift in Jan 2021, barely 18 months back - that's a ~10% increase in 18 months for a 30-plus lac car!!

That being said, the Fortuner is one incredible machine! Made a trip to Western Ghats last week, with the approach to our homestay being more of an off-road trail than a road/track. It involved 6 km of steep climb, of which 3 km was a mix of rocks, slush, steep hairpin bends, and a couple of water crossings! The Fortuner made short work of the terrain - just flicked the dial to 4L and it glided over everything without breaking a sweat! And all this with the factory-fitted H/T tires. Given the terrain, could not stop midway to take pictures from outside but attaching a few pictures/screen-grabs taken from inside the car, as well as a picture clicked later when we went hiking on the same trail that we had driven up. Apologies in advance for poor quality but should give you an idea of the terrain that the Fortuner took us over.

Now, there are other SUVs that can do this, but there are very few that can do this AND cruise us back home at triple-digit speeds!

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-f1.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-f2.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-f3.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-f4.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-f5.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-f6.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-f8.jpg

Last edited by cool_dube : 3rd July 2022 at 19:24.
cool_dube is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 19:15   #730
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
I booked on 29th march and on 02/04 sales rep sent me the revised rate list with increase,thankfully i got delivery of the car on 26th June! Now the price has again been hiked and in all probability will be hiked around diwali as well.
I feel toyota is the new bitcoin in the market! And yes as a customer who bought the car before the price hike i know for a fact that within the next 3 years toyota will increase the price By around 3-4 lakhs more if not even greater then this. What that means for me is,that when we will sell the vehicle in the 3rd year, i will be getting a sum that will be pretty close to what i paid for it in the first place, also the 3 years that this is in our books we claim it as tax deductible. In an earlier post i believe a gentleman mentioned selling his 2020 fortuner for the same amount he bought it for, and again booking a new 2022 model. This is good for existing customers and will always propogate brand loyalty,when one is getting good service a reliable product, no horror stories like other manufacturers have which are ever present on our forums.

Also sir please visit a toyota showroom forget stocking up on fortuner's you will only see a couple and not more and delivered as soon as they arrive, so point of stocking actually never arises. I am
Pretty happy i went for this, will surely buy it again 3 years down the line depending on the scenario then

However what i feel is that the company should provide price protection in some way for customers who have booked the car, and ex showroom price for that particular date be taken into account,that should really be benificial for customers waiting for their cars.

Congratulations on your new Fortuner. You are lucky you had to wait just 3 months my friend! Which dealer and which city please share. Congrats again!
MetalClank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 19:40   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on your new Fortuner. You are lucky you had to wait just 3 months my friend! Which dealer and which city please share. Congrats again!
When i booked in march end in delhi ncr the quoted wait time was 2 months, however it took me 3 months to get the car, now on every booking the dealer is quoting 16-20 weeks waiting, partly due to plant being closed for half of may so they have a slight backlog, should stabilize by august hopefully.
Born 2 Be Wild is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 20:11   #732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. I'm sure you won't find even a single guy who would cancel their booking due to such a price hike of the fortuner. This would infact be a positive for the sale as the customer knows his vehicle won't depreciate as much as any other brand.

2. No. This does NOT amount to fraud. The dealer is purchasing the vehicle from the company and reselling them to the customers. The amount invested is his. Any spoils due to a surprise price rise are his and his alone to take.
We can also take into consideration a counter arguement to this. Had the prices been reduced, would a customer have paid the previously higher price owing to the vehicle being manufactured in that month.

Till the time the dealer is selling the vehicle at a maximum of the manufacturer suggested retail price, he is not committing a fraud. He is allowed to sell at a lower price if he personally wants to though.
navpreet318 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 20:24   #733
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
1. I'm sure you won't find even a single guy who would cancel their booking due to such a price hike of the fortuner. This would infact be a positive for the sale as the customer knows his vehicle won't depreciate as much as any other brand.

2. No. This does NOT amount to fraud. The dealer is purchasing the vehicle from the company and reselling them to the customers. The amount invested is his. Any spoils due to a surprise price rise are his and his alone to take.
We can also take into consideration a counter arguement to this. Had the prices been reduced, would a customer have paid the previously higher price owing to the vehicle being manufactured in that month.

Till the time the dealer is selling the vehicle at a maximum of the manufacturer suggested retail price, he is not committing a fraud. He is allowed to sell at a lower price if he personally wants to though.

Maybe you are right, but my understanding is that this amounts to hoarding and is often seen just before the budget when its known that some commodities are going to rise in their price. Hopefully Toyota and its dealerships are not into such practices.

Also, with new launches like Scorpio N etc, where is the global chip shortage actually happening?
MetalClank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 22:05   #734
BHPian

Quote:

Also, with new launches like Scorpio N etc, where is the global chip shortage actually happening?
You have answered your own question very well dear sir, the actual chip shortage is happening at beloved Mahindra where wait times are 1-2 yrs across models and people are still going all ga ga about mahindra rising but in reality the delivering is an all together different story!
Apologies for going OT on a toyota thread but since you asked i posted my opinion.
Born 2 Be Wild is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 23:05   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe you are right, but my understanding is that this amounts to hoarding and is often seen just before the budget when its known that some commodities are going to rise in their price. Hopefully Toyota and its dealerships are not into such practices.

It is not hoarding as no one knows when the prices might increase or decrease.
Also since a lot of companies actually are advertising impeding price increase to push sales, it is but natural that dealers would also want windfall gains from the same and lift inventory.

Also it is not hoarding as a certain amount of inventory is always carried to cover the sales so gains on them will always be present.
Another point is that of interest. The interest on the money blocked to keep that stock is a large chunk of the price rise. If that stock stays put for 2 months, that price rise is pretty much nullified.
And if a particular vehicle is a slow moving one, even the margins are nullified after a couple of months.
Hence in the overall equation of things, it effectively amounts to very little benefit to the dealer.

Speaking out of experience. Not hearsay or textbook maths.

Most Viewed