Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2022, 19:12   #781
BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalClank View Post
Any other Fortuner Petrol 4x2 owners on this forum who can share their experience?
I own a 2021 Petrol Fortuner. Been using it since October 2021. I love the vehicle and the seamless driving it offers. I love petrols as its quiter and stress free than the diesel counterparts. I drive sedately and the torque the petrol offers is adequate for me. Also very mindful of the ever increasing fuel costs.I have a light right foot
No botheration of the DPF. The petrol is of course a tried and tested bullet proof engine.
My usage is very low and I use it only 5 months a year while I am in India.
I can say this SUV makes a lot of sense for me and of course the affordability of the petrol Fortuner also one aspect. Not sure of the ever changing norms of personalized diesel vehicle in future.
drmessiah is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 22:18   #782

If that's the case will surely look into the quote and try them out, thank you.
Old 30th July 2022, 07:59   #783
BANNED

How will the re-sale value of a Fortuner hold up in the future with the 10 or 15 year bans that are very likely to catch up across the country? Its wishful thinking to assume this wont happen, its round the corner for most metros and looks like it cannot be contested in courts either.

Fortuner's high resale value is heavily hinged on the fact that one could keep running the vehicle forever (10+ years, unlimited miles, minimal servicing costs etc). But, this assumption works if and only if the government did not impose a ban on the life of a vehicle. This assumption is no longer true!

If other states catch up to the Green Tribunal, what will happen to the Fortuner's out there? These vehicles will be road illegal all of a sudden. Would owners start selling them to 2nd and 3rd tier cities (which may not have such a ban at that point of time) and would those cities have appetite for such cars (purchasing power)? Also, people drive through cities and relocate across cities, so even temporarily driving such a vehicle through a city with a ban would be a challenge.

Unless Toyota itself is ready to purchase Fortuners back from customers at a good cost and re-cycle them into new cars! Or if people recalibrate their 50 lakh investment to have a life expectancy of 10-15 years only and force fit their bucket list into those many years :-)

What am I missing?
Old 30th July 2022, 16:50   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalClank View Post
How will the re-sale value of a Fortuner hold up in the future with the 10 or 15 year bans that are very likely to catch up across the country?
From a totally personal perspective, IMO a car purchase, especially in a price range as this is more of an aspirational buy than a utilitarian one. Hence, thinking about what might or might not happen 10 to 15 years down the line as regards regulations is more on the side of an ROI thought process which could hold true if the purchase was being done as an investment.

Simply put, if one wants it, can afford it, then should just go for it and enjoy it for the next 8-9 or 10 years and then deal with it at that time. During the course of these 10 years, the pleasure he/she might derive out of this purchase would surely make today's decision worth it.
Revvman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 00:35   #785
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvman View Post
From a totally personal perspective, IMO a car purchase, especially in a price range as this is more of an aspirational buy than a utilitarian one. During the course of these 10 years, the pleasure he/she might derive out of this purchase would surely make today's decision worth it.
Not denying what you say. But I am sure even the rich would not want their costly possessions to deprecate to almost no value. Fortuner and other high-end cars remained in demand in the resale market because their street legality was never threatened.

Some smart owners would sell these at the right "age" and some smart resellers would siphon them off to specific cities and sell them at the right "price".

Ultimately, the tension of the 10/15 year ban will keep shifting from one person to another as the car changes hands.

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st August 2022 at 09:25. Reason: Removing OT lines.
Old 1st August 2022, 09:24   #786
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note- Let's stay on the Topic. There are other threads to discuss 10/ 15 Year rule and challenges.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 10:15   #787
Senior - BHPian

Was surprised to find an ant colony inside the taillamp of my 10 months old Fortuner... I thought it is a sealed unit and will be resistent to such attacks... I am yet to go the service center, it seems to be black ants and supposedly harmless....

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img20220731091530.jpg
gadadhar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 10:27   #788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Was surprised to find an ant colony inside the taillamp of my 10 months old Fortuner... I thought it is a sealed unit and will be resistent to such attacks... I am yet to go the service center, it seems to be black ants and supposedly harmless....

Attachment 2340596
It is a sealed unit, please raise a warranty claim as water or dust also will seep in!
getsurya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 23:20   #789
BHPian

1 month 500 Km "checkup" service

Well, a month on, my Fortuner 4x4 has covered ~650 Km and I took it for a "checkup" service as recommended. Nothing much to right about, just a scan, a wash and 173 bucks later, I was back in the road. Apparently even the DPF fluid did not need topping up.

Activities done outside ASS as part of my 1 month check-up.

- Wheel alignment and balancing (for the 1st time) for ALL 5 tires.
- a boot-organiser box. This is a great way to put all the odds-and-ends in a single good-looking bag
- Filled up diesel for the 1st time (well 2nd time after day 1). 65 Liters, so approx 10 Kmpl is the mileage till then
Contrapunto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 13:14   #790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Was surprised to find an ant colony inside the taillamp of my 10 months old Fortuner
Not expected of a Toyota! As getsurya suggested, please get it replaced under warranty. Is this an indicator to deteriorating QC levels at TKM?
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 13:29   #791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
It is a sealed unit, please raise a warranty claim as water or dust also will seep in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Not expected of a Toyota! As getsurya suggested, please get it replaced under warranty. Is this an indicator to deteriorating QC levels at TKM?
Yes, this is not expected and acceptable from a Toyota vehicle. I never had any similar trouble with my earlier Fortuner in 7 years of ownership.

I am planning to go to the service center on the weekend
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 14:56   #792
BHPian

Comparison

Hello Fortuner owners and enthusiasts, seems like there is only one other body on frame SUV left standing in this segment in India besides the Fortuner - that is the MG Gloster. On paper, the Gloster is bigger, has more features and perhaps has a better ride than the Fortuner. The price is reasonably similar for a 4x4 AT.

Did any of you Fortuner owners seriously consider the Gloster? What made you pick the Fortuner?

One general question as some of you are in the know - what is the general time period from booking to delivery for a 4x4 Fortuner in the Delhi area? Seems like most SUVs have a long lead time all around the world.

Cheers.
THE-U- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 22:30   #793
BHPian

Hello, all!
Contemplating on getting a Fortuner 4x2 AT this festive season. My SA informed me about a 3 months waiting period for the variant and colour of my choice.

Just wanted to get a feedback regarding the Sound system and speakers on the 4x2 Variant. I consider myself to be an audiophile and good music is a must during my drives. Kinda prefer great clarity and punchy bass.
Heard the JBL 11 Speaker system on the 4x4 variant and found it to be pretty much satisfactory. Nothing to complain about.

Was wondering how much different would the 6 speaker system in the 4x2 Variant be? Does it need an aftermarket upgrade? Would that void or cause any warranty problems?

Thank you!
Old 2nd August 2022, 22:50   #794
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post
Hello Fortuner owners and enthusiasts, seems like there is only one other body on frame SUV left standing in this segment in India besides the Fortuner - that is the MG Gloster. On paper, the Gloster is bigger, has more features and perhaps has a better ride than the Fortuner. The price is reasonably similar for a 4x4 AT.

Did any of you Fortuner owners seriously consider the Gloster? What made you pick the Fortuner?

One general question as some of you are in the know - what is the general time period from booking to delivery for a 4x4 Fortuner in the Delhi area? Seems like most SUVs have a long lead time all around the world.

Cheers.
I would say there are 4-5 very crucial aspects in why people still pick a Fortuner over a Gloster:

1.) Top-most reason; Toyota's famed after-sales network and reliability. Chances of finding a Fortuner on a flatbed are very very low.
2.) A much better and more responsive engine; the 2.8L D-4D engine has absolutely no lag, the same just can't be said for the Gloster's 2.0L twin-turbo diesel even-though it produces 14PS more power, it's practically dead in the bottom RPMs.
3.) No many electronic nannies that can fail and bog you down.
4.) No gimmicky terrain modes to beat around the bush, some simple off-roading videos of a Gloster will give you an answer.
5.) Road-presence of a Fortuner out on the road is simply unbeatable with that chest-high bonnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampadroy View Post
Contemplating on getting a Fortuner 4x2 AT this festive season. My SA informed me about a 3 months waiting period for the variant and colour of my choice.

Just wanted to get a feedback regarding the Sound system and speakers on the 4x2 Variant. I consider myself to be an audiophile and good music is a must during my drives. Kinda prefer great clarity and punchy bass.
Heard the JBL 11 Speaker system on the 4x4 variant and found it to be pretty much satisfactory. Nothing to complain about.

Was wondering how much different would the 6 speaker system in the 4x2 Variant be? Does it need an aftermarket upgrade? Would that void or cause any warranty problems?
Very frankly, the 6 speaker system is very very average and doesn't deserve being present in a 45 Lakh OTR car. It will definitely need an upgrade, warranty I don't think will be void if you upgrade them with better ones.

If you're an audiophile this 6 speaker system will just not cut it for you!

Would recommend you spend a few lakhs extra if your budget permits and get the 4X4 AT.

OT: I had thought you were going for the Audi A4, how did the Fortuner spring-up? Would love to know the thought process behind it!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 2nd August 2022 at 23:07.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 01:59   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Very frankly, the 6 speaker system is very very average and doesn't deserve being present in a 45 Lakh OTR car. It will definitely need an upgrade, warranty I don't think will be void if you upgrade them with better ones.

If you're an audiophile this 6 speaker system will just not cut it for you!

Would recommend you spend a few lakhs extra if your budget permits and get the 4X4 AT.

OT: I had thought you were going for the Audi A4, how did the Fortuner spring-up? Would love to know the thought process behind it!
I had guessed so...
Kolkata dealers just don't have any 4x2 display cars or TD cars, so I've never heard the Stock system.

Absolutely agree with you, 6 Speaker system at this price point is simply unjustified and unacceptable! At least they could have provided the 11 Speaker JBL System in all the variants. The Endeavour had a fantastic 10 Speaker Stock Sound system, IIRC.
Guess will have to go for an aftermarket upgrade later on.

Would have gone for the 4x4 AT but we absolutely have no use for the 4x4 capabilities.
Also, would prefer the 17 inch rims for a better ride quality. Hence, the 4x2 AT. (Gap of ₹4Lacs b/w the two variants, here in Kolkata).

Audi A4 is a dream! Still regret not going for it last year itself! Currently it's almost ₹57Lacs OTR Kolkata (Tech) , couldn't really digest this price and also, no great discounts either. Hence, had to move on.
Reasons for choosing the Fortuner over the A4 and all other cars I had tested:-
1. Would keep my car for at least 10yrs, in such an use case scenario, nothing better than a T-badge.
2. 3 "R"s of any Automotive decision. Reliability, Repair and Maintenance, and Resale. Fortuner gets a 10/10 in this regard, and no German can ever match this!
3. Already have a Sedan and going for an SUV this time won't harm much. Lol.
4. Seemed more like an Investment on a Depreciating Asset. Quite Contradictory, indeed.
5. A secret love and respect which I always had towards the Fortuner (main reason maybe!).
sampadroy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks