Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2022, 11:01   #901
R_R
BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
[*]Second generation facelift - more powerful engine, improved steering, etc. BUT the interiors still take you back by a decade! Loads of cost cutting evident everywhere - underbody protection, wheel cladding, interior plastics, those speakers glued to the dashboard, etc. [/list]
Reading through the thread as I decide on whether to go for the Toyota Fortuner (petrol AT, cause NCR), and so have a question from an old post: has the underbody protection been reduced in someway in the latest version of the Fortuner? And what material is the underbody protection given in (I am assuming by 'underbody protection', the reference is to either metallic or plastic sheeting under the body to protect it from stones, rocks etc, not underbody coating like 3M. Please correct me if I am wrong in presuming this). Also, can I assume the same level of underbody protective covering/sheeting in the petrol 4x2 as in the diesel 4x4?
Old 7th September 2022, 12:30   #902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydee55 View Post
So far running has been a little over 100 kms per day. Before today, automatic regeneration used to happen at least once daily and sometimes twice.
Automatic DPF regeneration getting triggered once (sometimes twice) for a 100 km run sounds too frequent to me. In my experience, auto-regen gets triggered anywhere between 150-250 km depending on driving conditions. This is the first time I am hearing about it getting triggered within 100 km on a regular basis. Also, as CEF_Beasts noted, you should have got the "2500 km remaining" alert for low DEF level, now that the car has clocked close to 7000 km. Please keep us posted on diagnosis/actions taken by the service center.

On a related note - while one can safely assume that auto-regen will get triggered once DPF deposition level crosses 4 (out of 10) bars, it is a good practice to periodically check deposition level by pressing the manual regeneration switch. In case it is 4 or below, message stating "DPF level normal and manual regen is not required" will be displayed on the MID - peace of mind. In case it is above 4 and auto-regen has not kicked in for whatever reasons, manual regen will get initiated once you press the switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_BLR View Post
I am planning test drive soon but would appreciate if I could get inputs from people that have used it for some time
It is quite a significant shift from a monocoque, supple-riding, feature-laden XUV 7OO to the BOF, stiff-riding, spartan Fortuner While the latest iteration of the Fortuner comes with significant improvements in ride quality over its predecessors, it is nowhere comparable to that of XUV 7OO. I would strongly suggest taking back-to-back test-drives of both with your family, to be able to take an informed decision. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpanda View Post
MT is not available on test drive vehicles
It is surprising that you have not been able to get a test drive for the MT variant. Usually, dealerships have the top-end (4x4 AT) and base (4x2 MT) variants for test drives. I could get back to back test drives for both when I was deciding between MT vs. AT last year. The dealership was kind enough to get both vehicles for me at the same time on a Sunday on my request - usually, one outlet gets to have only one vehicle at any point. I could take extensive TDs of both, over 30 min each, over varied terrain to be able to make a fair comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Everyone whom I know who placed a 4x4 MT had a delayed delivery and it took ages to confirm.
True to an extent, as 4x4 ATs are much more popular. However, mine got delivered within 2 months, despite being a 4x4 MT in an odd (grey) color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
has the underbody protection been reduced in someway in the latest version of the Fortuner? And what material is the underbody protection given in (I am assuming by 'underbody protection', the reference is to either metallic or plastic sheeting under the body to protect it from stones, rocks etc, not underbody coating like 3M. Please correct me if I am wrong in presuming this). Also, can I assume the same level of underbody protective covering/sheeting in the petrol 4x2 as in the diesel 4x4?
By underbody protection, I meant metal sheets protecting critical underbody components like engine, gearbox, 4x4 transfer case, etc. While extensively comparing Endeavour and Fortuner across multiple aspects during my purchase cycle at that point in time, I found that Endeavour's underbody protection was quite superior to that of the Fortuner. I was not comparing it to previous iterations of the Fortuner. On your other question - as far as I know, level of underbody protection is same across 4x4 and 4x2 variants, of course subject to differences in mechanical components. For instance, the 4x4 variant comes with a transfer case which gets protective metal cover - this obviously is not present in the 4x2 variant. However, when it comes to common components like engine, gearbox, fuel tank, etc., underbody protection seemed similar to me. Owners of 4x2 variants can chime in here.
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 12:44   #903

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalClank View Post
Good to know! Did they charge you anything? Also, hope you did not have to drive 500 KMs to prove that you don't get the issue again
Recently visited Nandi Toyota, Banaswadi Bangalore with similar DPF warning and all engine related indicators glowing up in my dashboard. They changed these parts

A-23670-09560 INJECTOR ASSY => 4 Nos
A-23682-0E010 GASKET NOZZLE HOLDER => 4 Nos
A-23701-0E041 PIPE SUB-ASSY, INJECTION, NO.1 => 2 Nos
A-23702-0E041 PIPE SUB-ASSY, INJECTION, NO.2 => 2 Nos
A-90430-10017 GASKET => 1 No.

All replacements are under warranty

After this service, haven’t faced any issues yet.

The trick what I believe I have missed all these days is the process to activate the Manual DPF Regen. The process seems very simple

Let’s assume that you have driven the car in city traffic for 1 hour and reached your place.
Park your car, keep the engine running and parking brake ON. Press the ‘DPF Manual Regen switch’ couple of times till it shows ‘Manual DPF Regeneration’ now available. Press the Switch once for 5 secs and leave it. The Manual regen will start. And based on your DPF level it may run for 20 to 30 mins.

Hope this will help few of owners facing DPF issues.

PS : I wasn’t aware of this process or trick to activate the ‘Manual DPF Regen’ before the injectors were replaced. So owners whose injectors and other parts not yet been replaced can try this manual activation and update.

Cheers
Riderulz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 21:49   #904

Visited the dealer today morning and everything was sorted in 60 mins or so.
They cleaned the DPF and Ad Blu was topped up.
There was still Ad Blu in tank in sufficient qty, hence no alarm yet.
According to SA, this is the second time he had come across a vehicle in which Ad Blu (warning) lasted 7000+ kms

According to them, the consumption of Ad Blu depends on fuel quality and driving conditions.
The vehicle took just 5 litres of Ad Blu for the full tank.

Now coming to DPF full alarm, their explanation was that DPF regeneration must have been stopped while in auto-generation by switching off the vehicle.
In that case, they say the cycle isn't complete and tanks get filled up hence alarm.
I countered by showing in the manual 'that if the vehicle is switched off then the next time cycle is continued when the vehicle is switched ON'
But according to them, this isn't the case.
Logic - if the engine is cold at restart then regeneration won't happen.

I also find this satisfactory as I have observed many times that any time during the day, if I switch off the vehicle for some time e.g. going to shop on way back from office to pick something and returning in 10 mins, engine is still hot, if regeneration cycle is stopped at that time, it automatically completes the remaining cleaning on starting again.

But if the regeneration cycle is broken for a long period of time and the engine cools off then it won't complete the cycle on the restart and can result in DPF tank getting full.
This is maybe what happened yesterday.
Let's observe for a few days to conclude.

The way to avoid this, if this is actually the issue, is to let regeneration complete, if you know you are switching off for a long time and the engine will cool off or use manual regeneration, if you have interrupted automatic regeneration by switching off the vehicle for a long period of time.

Quote:
Automatic DPF regeneration getting triggered once (sometimes twice) for a 100 km run sounds too frequent to me. In my experience, auto-regen gets triggered anywhere between 150-250 km depending on driving conditions.
Actually, it is not that regeneration happens exactly at 100 kms, I meant that my average running is 100kms per day. Sometimes 50 kms and sometimes touch 150-180 kms. So on those days when it touches 150-180 kms, I observed couple of regeneration cycles in a day, 1 in the morning and the other one on way back, but only once or twice until now this has happened.
Kaydee55 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 23:23   #905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srameshdelhi View Post

1. They take you for granted that you come to their showroom which sells the best car in the country and therefore, there is no brochure, display car or a trained sales person required to attend to a customer. You walk into an empty showroom with 1-2 staff sitting and checking their respective mobile phones and an Urban cruiser and Hylex on display.
This is what I expected. I walked into MGF Toyota in Gurgaon hoping to see the Hyryder, but was not lucky. The receptionist was not busy with anything and didn't acknowledge that three people had entered the showroom. We just did a quick look around of the Hylux, even going so far as to try to open the door. Even then no SA came forward and we left in under a minute.

The eagerness to sell and market what they have is just not there. The experience might be different at a larger showroom, but if my first experience with Toyota was poor, I doubt I'd give a second chance at a different showroom.
Old 8th September 2022, 06:48   #906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrabarusMark View Post
This is what I expected. I walked into MGF Toyota in Gurgaon hoping to see the Hyryder, but was not lucky. The receptionist was not busy with anything and didn't acknowledge that three people had entered the showroom. We just did a quick look around of the Hylux, even going so far as to try to open the door. Even then no SA came forward and we left in under a minute.

The eagerness to sell and market what they have is just not there. The experience might be different at a larger showroom, but if my first experience with Toyota was poor, I doubt I'd give a second chance at a different showroom.
Unfortunately, it is the dealer who is the culprit here!! I have visited more than 3 Toyota dealers in India and have had a meaningful visit. I agree, they don't have the display car at times which is our expectation when we go to a dealer. However, I suggest try a different dealer before generalising the brand. It can leave with you a delight, probably
getsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 11:46   #907
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
This is what I expected. I walked into MGF Toyota in Gurgaon hoping to see the Hyryder, but was not lucky.

I must I had a nice experience with MGF Toyota at Global Foyer on Golf Course road. My wife bought an Urban Cruiser there, and the experience was so good that I am discussing a Fortuner purchase with them. Generally, I call first, set up an appointment and then go. Or ask them to bring the car to my place. In both the case of the Urban Cruiser and Fortuner, they were willing to bring the car for multiple, long test drives. One on the Fortuner was 90 minutes long, and I was beginning to feel guilty! I suppose with Fortuner, they don't have spare vehicles to leave on the showroom floor, but they will bring one to you if you ask them to. At least my experience.
R_R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 12:13   #908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I must I had a nice experience with MGF Toyota at Global Foyer on Golf Course road. My wife bought an Urban Cruiser there, and the experience was so good that I am discussing a Fortuner purchase with them. Generally, I call first, set up an appointment and then go. Or ask them to bring the car to my place. In both the case of the Urban Cruiser and Fortuner, they were willing to bring the car for multiple, long test drives. One on the Fortuner was 90 minutes long, and I was beginning to feel guilty! I suppose with Fortuner, they don't have spare vehicles to leave on the showroom floor, but they will bring one to you if you ask them to. At least my experience.
Irrespective of brand, there is nothing wrong in visiting a showroom and you approach receptionist or a sales advisor on floor and telling your requirement. It is nice if sales folk proactively approach you, but I don't see issue in you starting a conversation. Build a rapport with sales or service team and see how your experience change. Customer is King but then customer is not always right. Have seen enough unruly, rude customers, some have expectation that "I am paying for it, so I own everything out there" which to me is wrong. Even after knowing you, building a rapport , if they let you down, then I see a concern and would reconsider my decision of proceeding with a deal.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 13:24   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
You may have better luck with the 4x4 AT or 4x2 AT variants. Everyone whom I know who placed a 4x4 MT had a delayed delivery and it took ages to confirm.
Thank you. However, I was given to understand that 4x4 vehicles (both AT and MT) have been temporarily discontinued and only 4x2 (both AT and MT) are available. I have decided to wait for them to resume and book a 4x4 MT as and when it is available. Me and my wife prefer MT and no not enjoy driving AT cars, though we are fully aware of the convenience associated with ATs. Just a personal choice.

Quote:
It is surprising that you have not been able to get a test drive for the MT variant. Usually, dealerships have the top-end (4x4 AT) and base (4x2 MT) variants for test drives. I could get back to back test drives for both when I was deciding between MT vs. AT last year. The dealership was kind enough to get both vehicles for me at the same time on a Sunday on my request - usually, one outlet gets to have only one vehicle at any point. I could take extensive TDs of both, over 30 min each, over varied terrain to be able to make a fair comparison.

True to an extent, as 4x4 ATs are much more popular. However, mine got delivered within 2 months, despite being a 4x4 MT in an odd (grey) color.
I have tried multiple showrooms and have been always informed that the test drive vehicle that they have is AT variant only and therefore, never managed to get a test drive of a MT. As stated above, I would go with a 4x4 MT only as and when it is available. Happy to hear your experience of owning and driving a 4x4 MT.

Quote:

Absolutely agree with you on this as I have had the exact similar experience at MGF Toyota, Global Foyer, Golf Course Road, Gurgaon in April 2022. I had gone to check out Fortuner. There was none on display or in stock. The sales personnel were least interested and was very hostile when enquired about availability, price quote, delivery time, etc. Forget about retaining contact details, he was not bothered to have any conversation and it appeared that he has been coerced to do his job and was giving answers to queries reluctantly. I decided, I will never visit this showroom ever even if I decide to go ahead with the Fortuner. This showroom is closest to my house but I preferred to get test drives from Galaxy Toyota, Chhatarpur, Delhi and would possibly go with them or some other showroom. While I must also share that Galaxy Toyota was only comparatively better than MGF Toyota, it was no where compared to some of the other showrooms that I visited in the recent past, Maruti, Mahindra, Tata or Jeep. That is possibly because the demand in the market for their cars is such that, customer service does not matter to them. Espirit Toyota in Bhubaneswar has been surprisingly good though in my limited interactions with them.

Quote:
You have been very lucky then. My experience with them, as shared above has been the worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Irrespective of brand, there is nothing wrong in visiting a showroom and you approach receptionist or a sales advisor on floor and telling your requirement. It is nice if sales folk proactively approach you, but I don't see issue in you starting a conversation. Build a rapport with sales or service team and see how your experience change. Customer is King but then customer is not always right. Have seen enough unruly, rude customers, some have expectation that "I am paying for it, so I own everything out there" which to me is wrong. Even after knowing you, building a rapport , if they let you down, then I see a concern and would reconsider my decision of proceeding with a deal.
Cannot agree with you more on this but when the sales folks behave as if they do not care and have reluctance in even answering basic queries seeking information, I would never visit them again. There vehicles may be exceptional in terms of demand but cannot deal with them or think of paying my money to them or having any sort of dealings/ relationships, far less a long standing one.
Old 8th September 2022, 15:17   #910
Senior - BHPian

Confirmed toyota is not accepting any bookings for any variant of the Fortuner for the time being. Even bookings placed in the last few days have had no acceptance or allotment date given. We booked another Fortuner for one of our associates company.

I picked up the Fortuner last week 4x4 as it had become available because of someone else's delay and switched over from my 4x2 which ended up being a nice decision.

Quite happy to have picked up one of the last 4x4 AT as not sure what is the outcome of this decision - could be a newer norm coming in or perhaps a price hike or just a temporary halt for shortages or to give way to the assembly lines for the Hyrider.

Whatever it is pretty sure the pre owned segment here for Innova's and Fortuner's are going to see a superb time.
vkochar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 20:18   #911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Confirmed toyota is not accepting any bookings for any variant of the Fortuner for the time being.
This is surprising. I had a word with Lakozy Toyota, Mumbai today and he confirmed that they are taking bookings for all variants of Fortuner. Waiting period quoted is upto 3 months.

However, Crysta booking is certainly and indefinitely stopped.
Old 8th September 2022, 22:36   #912

Quote:
\
Let's observe for a few days to conclude.
Leave alone a few days, today i.e the next day same alarm reappeared.
I kept checking DPF status manually during the day and it was always at 2 bars with 'Manual Regeneration Not Available' indicated.
In the evening, suddenly same error msg appeared just after 15 minutes of the last manual check (It was at only 2 bars at that check)
An important thing to note is that no auto regeneration happened since yesterday's workshop visit and has driven for roughly 120 kms.

I will be visiting tomorrow again to Uttam Toyota, let's see what's in store.

PS: I never had to visit the Skoda workshop twice for the same issue in a decade of ownership of Yeti.
Kaydee55 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 08:10   #913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arundeepbv View Post
The auto regeneration did not happen before I got the error. In fact I was regularly checking the level of DPF on the drive and it never crossed 2 bars the entire time. I straightaway got the error display.

I do not have any pictures of the MID display. It displays the message " DPF error, visit your dealer". We will not be able to see any thing else on the MID, this will be the only thing you will see on the MID. .
I faced a similar issue with my Crysta when it had run about 15K kms. I suspect this is due to adulterated fuel. I had filled up from a random highway pump and 10min later this happened. In my case as well, they replaced the injectors and catalytic converters under warranty.

I have since then been filling from only reliance, nayara and Coco pumps and haven't had any issues so far. I also make it a point to buy engine cover as part of insurance as I am not sure for how long Toyota would cover issues due to bad fuel under warranty.
oh_maan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 08:29   #914
BHPian

Quote:
Leave alone a few days, today i.e the next day same alarm reappeared.
I kept checking DPF status manually during the day and it was always at 2 bars with 'Manual Regeneration Not Available' indicated.
In the evening, suddenly same error msg appeared just after 15 minutes of the last manual check (It was at only 2 bars at that check)
An important thing to note is that no auto regeneration happened since yesterday's workshop visit and has driven for roughly 120 kms.

I will be visiting tomorrow again to Uttam Toyota, let's see what's in store.

PS: I never had to visit the Skoda workshop twice for the same issue in a decade of ownership of Yeti.
Seriously thats bad! I mean the biggest reason that people choose toyota is its reliability and hassle free ownership! Such a reccuring issue leaves an owner frustrated. I sincerely hope your car's issue is resolved and please put your foot down with the dealer this time,to resolve it once and for all. Keep us posted

Going forward i will be more watchfull on my car as well, till now i stayed aloof with def regen, sometimes reaching the destination and switching it off in the middle of a regen. Dont know if it helps but i have always used Stp injector clean and fuel treatment on all the cars after 3 tank fulls alternately on the 4th fill. My car gets the regen at 3 bars always, its at 5k on the odo and i am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 9th September 2022, 08:40   #915
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase. Fortuner is my dream car which I hope to own one day (or maybe in my dreams)..
Sad to read the kind of experience you get after you shell out 45 lakhs.. I have had far better experience on the delivery of my tiago (2016) and Punch (2022). (Hyson motors, Trichur, Kerala).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks