Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2022, 01:08   #976
BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Very happy to share the first images of the beast shared by my father during his visit yesterday to the Dealer's stockyard! Looking forward to taking delivery and driving this beast soon. Will keep the group posted.

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-1.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-2.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-4.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-6.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-7.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-8.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-11.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-12.jpg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-13.jpg

Last edited by jbpanda : 25th September 2022 at 01:12.
jbpanda is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 17:20   #977
R_R
BHPian

Didn't realize until today that the Fortuner petrol in some markets, such as in the Middle East, do come with 4x4. They also get, in addition to the 2.7L engine, a 4L V6 monster, which I suppose wouldn't have made much sense in India considering it's even worse fuel consumption. I have so far only generally looked at Australian reviews (in addition to Indian, of course) of the Fortuner, so completely missed this. I guess like with other manufacturers, Toyota probably decided--I think with good reason--that a petrol 4x4 wouldn't have much of a market in India. Wish it were different but if wishes were horses . . .
Old 25th September 2022, 19:37   #978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
Didn't realize until today that the Fortuner petrol in some markets, such as in the Middle East, do come with 4x4. They also get, in addition to the 2.7L engine, a 4L V6 monster, which I suppose wouldn't have made much sense in India considering it's even worse fuel consumption. I have so far only generally looked at Australian reviews (in addition to Indian, of course) of the Fortuner, so completely missed this. I guess like with other manufacturers, Toyota probably decided--I think with good reason--that a petrol 4x4 wouldn't have much of a market in India. Wish it were different but if wishes were horses . . .
This is the engine that came in the Prado here, it's supposed to be really reliable, being low stress and all. My friend had this fortuner when he was in the UAE, I remember reading up on this then.

There is a set of customers who get the v6 engine because it is apparently great for pulling horse boxes, unlike the diesel, there is no jerky turbo boost, the other use, of course, is dune bashing.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 20:03   #979
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Fortuner petrol in some markets, such as in the Middle East, do come with 4x4. They also get, in addition to the 2.7L engine, a 4L V6 monster, which I suppose wouldn't have made much sense in India considering it's even worse fuel consumption.-that a petrol 4x4 wouldn't have much of a market in India. Wish it were different but if wishes were horses . . .
Ofcourse, the Fortune has 4x4 in all of engine options, including the 2.4l diesel and 2.7l petrol. If the 4.0l V6 was a surprise, then be surprised to know that the Fortuner still has the old 2.5/3.0l KD engine in some Southeast Asian markets and a decades old naturally aspirated 3.0l with 90 odd bhp in some African markets.

Just for fuel efficiency sakes, the 4.0 V6 petrol is maybe 1-1.5 km/l worse than the 2.7l petrol, that it would be nothing if you look at the performance advantage. But guess Toyota wanted to share the same engine between the Innova and Fortuner, so the 2.7l it is.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 08:44   #980
BHPian

Quote:
Didn't realize until today that the Fortuner petrol in some markets, such as in the Middle East, do come with 4x4. I guess like with other manufacturers, Toyota probably decided--I think with good reason--that a petrol 4x4 wouldn't have much of a market in India. Wish it were different but if wishes were horses . . .
Thankfully, Mahindra did not think that and offered the Thar in petrol 4x4 option too, though 70%+ sales come from Thar diesel variant i guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
This is the engine that came in the Prado here, it's supposed to be really reliable, being low stress and all.
Yes, the Fortuner 2.7 petrol is sold in 4x4 option in Middle East, Pakistan, South East Asia etc. It is unfortunate that it is not offered in India- i would have anyday preferred that over standard 2WD for added peace of mind, even though i do a fair amount of offroading in the 2WD too. Here is a nice video that captures the capabilities of the vehicle-
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 10:34   #981
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
decades old naturally aspirated 3.0l with 90 odd bhp in some African markets.
Really surprised to know this. I tried searching for reviews for a Fortuner with this engine but couldn't find any. Do you know of any reviews/videos where I can see how a 3.0 NA diesel behaves like in a Fortuner? The engine specs are giving me the 1st gen Safari diesel vibes, which took 27 seconds to reach 100 kmph.
Old 26th September 2022, 11:22   #982
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
i do a fair amount of offroading in the 2WD too. Here is a nice video that captures the capabilities of the vehicle
Good to know! I am also a bit worried about the lack of 4x4. In fact this was the reason why I didn't consider the Fortuner until the last few weeks of my multi-year search! I would really like to see a video of 4x2 Fortuner off-road, to see what its capability limits are. There are a couple of videos of 4x4 Fortuners using 4x2 but this seems more to impress the capabilities of the 4x4 rather than fully test the limits of 4x2. I am particularly concerned about sand/loose surface and mud, which are main difficult conditions I may encounter, as I have no plans for any off-roading beyond gravel and unpaved roads. I would like to see how 4x2 Fortuner might respond to such conditions. What's your own experience, since you've done some off-roading in your own 4x2? What kind of off-roading have you done that you can share, which might be helpful? How useful are the the A/T tyres?
Old 26th September 2022, 11:58   #983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yep, it's toyota's 1GR-FE engine which is their standard V6 engine in the international markets and is offered in everything from the fortuner, hilux, Tundra, 4runner, Prado and even the lower spec landcruisers. It's surprisingly capable even in the heavier landcruiser when compared to the V8 versions until you floor it.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 12:07   #984

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpanda View Post

Many Congratulations keerti_ck on booking the Fortuner 4x4 MT. Cannot agree with you more that nothing feels better than the MT for those who can compromise on the convenience of AT. I too could not resist the temptation and went ahead with the 4x4 MT Diesel in Attitude Black (though I test drove only the ATs) in spite of the 10 year rule in NCR.

As rightly indicated by cool_dube, 4x4 MT Fortuner owners are a rare species and pleasure to meet a few in our reverred group. Looking forward to continued guidance from all of you to make the ownership experience enjoyable. Looking forward to your ownership review too.
Thank you so much! I finally was able to do a thorough Inspection of the vehicle on Saturday. It was love at fist sight again . There was a small panel gap mis-alignment on the front bumper and I've asked the folks to get that fixed. Rest everything was fine. I was seriously disappointed when I saw the Spare wheel was not an alloy but a steel Rim one! .

One a sidenote, I asked for the price of the accessories and they seem to be over the roof. At the time of selivery, I'm not getting any accessories from the showroom but I'll get them fitted at Throttle (Jayanagar). Here are the things I have in mind.

1. Side Door Cladding - Fortuner
2. 360 degree Camera - MOCO - Supposed to be great
3. Window Visors
4. Rear Under Run - Confused should I get this or no?
5. Dashcam (Qubo with GPS) - Sourced from Amazon
6. Tyre Upgrade to AT from Company fitted H/T
7. Auto Folding Mirrors
8. Ceramic Coating from CarzSpa

Any guidance on what tyres should I go for? I'm an occasional Off Roader but road noise and wet surface handling are the most crucial requirements. I heard that YokoHamas or Michelins (LTX Force) are good ones.
keerti_ck is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 12:10   #985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Really surprised to know this. I tried searching for reviews for a Fortuner with this engine but couldn't find any. Do you know of any reviews/videos where I can see how a 3.0 NA diesel behaves like in a Fortuner? The engine specs are giving me the 1st gen Safari diesel vibes, which took 27 seconds to reach 100 kmph.
Toyota has the Fortuner/Hilux/LC Prado etc on sale in a very few markets with their older generation engines. Current generation Fortuner with old 5LE naturally aspirated Diesel and its a 4x4. On wiki the L series engine has their origins in 1977 But seriously have to love Toyota in keeping their old but worthy engines running as it will be a help to folks with older vehicles in sourcing the spares.

https://www.toyota-gib.com/eng/model...5L-SNMSEN.html
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 12:15   #986
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Toyota has the Fortuner/Hilux/LC Prado etc on sale in a very few markets with their older generation engines. Current generation Fortuner with old 5LE naturally aspirated Diesel and its a 4x4. On wiki the L series engine has their origins in 1977 But seriously have to love Toyota in keeping their old but worthy engines running as it will be a help to folks with older vehicles in sourcing the spares.

Thanks for the response. I was able to figure out the various powertrain options of the Fortuner via Wiki but was interested in seeing a review with these old school engines.

Great to have you back on the forum!
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 12:36   #987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I was able to figure out the various powertrain options of the Fortuner via Wiki but was interested in seeing a review with these old school engines.

Great to have you back on the forum!
Thank you!

Considering the very limited market the current gen Fortuner was sold with the 5LE engine finding review on youtube will be tough. It will be an interesting fusion of the old and the latest!
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 12:43   #988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was able to figure out the various powertrain options of the Fortuner via Wiki but was interested in seeing a review with these old school engines.
One video on the 3L D4-D turbo 2017 Fortuner

CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 13:07   #989
BHPian

Quote:
My biggest grouse with Toyota has been exactly this - why not offer the Fortuner Petrol with 4x4 here in India. I would happily convert my Crysta and Thar petrol into the Fortuner the day this happens. Just don't need 2 cars.

Post BS6, the DPF issue in Diesel is affecting them badly. Toyota has for now put a pause on manufacturing diesels (Innova and Fortuner 4x4 diesel), citing back-logs but the real culprit being emission management. On my recent visit to the service center for my Crysta, the technician confirmed the number of issues they are seeing in BS 6 diesel - e.g. DPF getting clogged, injectors failing.
sid_deb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 14:04   #990
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Won't be able to get reviews as such, because the places were these are sold or the buyers are not the types who would care to look at reviews. Guess we can look up old Prado reviews or POV videos, since the 1990s Prado had this engine. Speaking of which, the current Prado is also equipped with the above said 5L engine, in some markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
But seriously have to love Toyota in keeping their old but worthy engines running as it will be a help to folks with older vehicles in sourcing the spares.
Thanks for sharing and making me go on a memory jog. Naive young me had spend hours wasting time on the Toyota Gibraltar Stockholdings website, wondering if we could import from them and also if there was an LC200 V8 diesel with manual transmission. (There was one. But LHD and in single turbo guise. )

And yep. This is where Toyota scores big time. Something those BEV enthusiasts accusing Toyota of being in some 'big oil conspiracy' can't fathom. They simply have to take care of varied customers in every damn corner of this earth. Not just LA and Norway.

Last edited by DicKy : 26th September 2022 at 14:06.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks