Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2022, 13:32   #1156
BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldrive View Post

- the car takes a noticeable jerk when you change direction from R to D or D to R. Even with your foot firmly on the anchor. Workshop says its because "the engine has too much torque" and it happens to all these cars. Its annoying.
My father owns Crysta Diesel AT & when I’m on the wheel, I’m noticing the jerk while shifting from D to R or vice versa.

What I’m doing is, gently pressing the brake pedal to max & shifting the gear rod, jerk is controlled!

Try this once.
SaiChaithanya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 23:59   #1157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Hi, has anyone here upgraded the head unit on their Fortuner? I am planning to change the Oem head unit to the Pioneer Z 9350bt, any feedback, advice or suggestion is most welcome.
Dropped the idea of changing the oem head unit, and got the audio system upgraded, the oem speakers on a 45 lakh rs car were seriously pathetic! Got Ground zero components for the front door, DD components for the rear door, 4 channel mosconi amp with inbuilt dsp to power the comp's, DD 1000 rms mono amp to power the 750 rms 10 inch Sundown audio Sub woofer. The end result was fantastic! Drive back home was sublime
Attaching some pictures of the installed equipment.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-dcd8d47666d942fe8f1b4590d0a5a2ff.jpeg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-f2c989b53c334dfaa5be37ac276aa65f.jpeg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-0a9dda1ccfd34fd89d776a48a4db0963.jpeg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-d719b1202a8c4f26937a0ad6ed39eba1.jpeg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-524b54907ac944eb949b97941d13161e.jpeg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-2026f63cf1924ada8c9e3fdf62ff87fe.jpeg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-e3c3fd5de2f74d8b88a5b57800721763.jpeg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-54186a2ec33547b6a363b5b6b5bdc7cf.jpeg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-69cdfb3e82744aa39c03782c017cd4d0.jpeg  

Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 18:02   #1158
BHPian

Quote:
- The car takes a noticeable jerk when you change direction from R to D or D to R, even with your foot firmly on the anchor. Workshop says it's because "the engine has too much torque" and it happens in all these cars. It's annoying.
Had this jerk in mine too. Talked to a senior tech at Nippon Kalamassery. He accompanied me and acknowledged the same. Then he told there is a step to re calibrate the GB. Its basically shifting from N to D multiple times. After that the jerk reduces.
raj4466 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 17:59   #1159
BHPian

I own a 2018 Fortuner. Just sent the same for a 80k kms service. Had a broken side view mirror glass thanks to a reckless suv driver coming from the opposite side which needed replacement and apparently all wiper blade rubber were requiring a change too (IS it just me or is the quality of rubber used in wiper blades primed to deteriorate in a few months). The quotation for the service and replacement of the above has been shared to me for 20k! I wonder how Toyota is famed for being reasonable/ dependable and value for money!

The icing is that they have informed me that my steering is cracked :/ . Now my vehicle has extended warranty but surprise surprise apparently after the standard warranty gets over the extended portion is outsourced and an external surveyor is required to come in and give approval to the dealer to approve the claim for submission to Toyota! At least that is what my SA has informed me since the car has been at the dealership since Saturday pending the steering issue! Also the said steering is an expensive part which has a cost upwards of 80k!! Now all of this is a verbal discussion but i just could not digest all this and penned down a mail to Toyota and decided to post this here and find out if our fellow owners were aware of these processes by Toyota regarding their extended warranty and of course the stupendously expensive cost of irregular parts!!!

In other news the SA also asked me where i drive the car because its still on its original set of brake pads with hardly any wear! So i don't use brakes but use the steering enough times to crack it!!
rugsrags is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 11:31   #1160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car takes a noticeable jerk when you change direction from R to D or D to R, even with your foot firmly on the anchor
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiChaithanya View Post
My father owns Crysta Diesel AT & when I’m on the wheel, I’m noticing the jerk while shifting from D to R or vice versa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj4466 View Post
Had this jerk in mine too
My Fortuner is MT but based on my experience with my Thar AT, this "jerk" can be minimized by giving a second's pause at "N" before making the transition from R to D or vice versa.
cool_dube is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 11:39   #1161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
My Fortuner is MT but based on my experience with my Thar AT, this "jerk" can be minimized by giving a second's pause at "N" before making the transition from R to D or vice versa.
No, there is a very pronounced leap forward whenever you shift from N to D in the Crysta/Fortuner irrespective of the pause.
Only way to reduce it is to stomp your foot on the brakes while shifting.

Last edited by starter : 3rd January 2023 at 11:40.
starter is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 11:43   #1162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
No, there is a very pronounced leap forward whenever you shift from N to D in the Crysta/Fortuner irrespective of the pause.
Only way to reduce it is to stomp your foot on the brakes while shifting.
Isn't that the natural sequence in AT cars ? Press brakes, move from N to D , release brakes and accelerate away. Why would anyone want to shift from N to D without pressing brakes ? Keeping the vehicle in neutral without the brakes pressed is a safety hazard.
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 00:29   #1163
Senior - BHPian

After a long deliberation, finally booked a Petrol Fortuner AT in Super white with 2-3 months waiting. This will fill the duties of my two cars - Honda Civic and Skoda Yeti.

Reasons to choose Petrol
* Average monthly running of odd 500 to 600 kms.
* As this will be the only primary car with city (70%) and highway (30%) duties, I wanted 100% availability for use as the 2.7 2TR engine VVTi though outdated by today's standard, has proven extremely reliable over the years, evident from its use in Prado and Land Cruiser. If I had to choose the BS6 diesel 2.8, I would have to take into account the number of trips to the dealerships and days out of service the car had to endure (issues with DPF, injectors).
* 15 years of life in NCR.
* Refinement and very less NVH.
* Stress free trips with no abrupt DPF and adBlue issue. Trip to high altitude mountains will be a breeze with the petrol mill.
* Saving of around 4 lacs from equivalent diesel 4x2 variant. That should be enough to compensate the additional litres of petrol needed to break even the mileage of the diesel.
* Peace of mind ownership till 2038.

Now the wait begins.
iTNerd is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 01:25   #1164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
After a long deliberation, finally booked a Petrol Fortuner AT in Super white with 2-3 months waiting. This will fill the duties of my two cars - Honda Civic and Skoda Yeti.

Reasons to choose Petrol
* Average monthly running of odd 500 to 600 kms.
* As this will be the only primary car with city (70%) and highway (30%) duties, I wanted 100% availability for use as the 2.7 2TR engine VVTi though outdated by today's standard, has proven extremely reliable over the years, evident from its use in Prado and Land Cruiser. If I had to choose the BS6 diesel 2.8, I would have to take into account the number of trips to the dealerships and days out of service the car had to endure (issues with DPF, injectors).
* 15 years of life in NCR.
* Refinement and very less NVH.
* Stress free trips with no abrupt DPF and adBlue issue. Trip to high altitude mountains will be a breeze with the petrol mill.
* Saving of around 4 lacs from equivalent diesel 4x2 variant. That should be enough to compensate the additional litres of petrol needed to break even the mileage of the diesel.

Now the wait begins.
Not to rain on your parade but since you are already on a waiting list, you could probably wait till December and get the completely new generation fortuner for about the same price since you are anyway planning on keeping this for a long time. I am hesitant about a 2.7L petrol engine in a big SUV producing just 245nm of torque. Our times with the petrol Prado was very disappointing even on highways, much less mountains. If you have already considered all this or need it right this year, you can ignore this.
Cresterk is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 01:29   #1165
BHPian

Quote:

Reasons to choose Petrol

Now the wait begins.
By 2038, India will make godknows what blend of Ethnol mixed with petrol as compulsory, so every tankful could possibly need an additive to help the engine cope with the blended fuel.

Why not a Petrol Thar ?
Even if it develops engine issues after 1,50,000kms (viz unlikely in a non-heavy use car), rebuilding would barely cost a tiny fraction of the difference in prices between Fortuner & Thar.
WorkingGuru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 11:12   #1166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Not to rain on your parade but since you are already on a waiting list, you could probably wait till December and get the completely new generation fortuner for about the same price since you are anyway planning on keeping this for a long time.
Next Generation Fortuner isn’t coming this year-end. 10 year life-cycle of the 2nd generation model will end in 2025, after that in 2026 the new generation will come out!

And no way will the new generation model be available at the same price as the current model. For a facelift of this generation’s 2021 model Toyota had raised prices by 1.5 - 3 Lakh over the pre-facelift model depending on the variant, you know what to expect when a generation change takes place!
CEF_Beasts is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 11:46   #1167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am hesitant about a 2.7L petrol engine in a big SUV producing just 245nm of torque. Our times with the petrol Prado was very disappointing even on highways, much less mountains. If you have already considered all this or need it right this year, you can ignore this.
The 2.7l in the Fortuner is an average performer, it will be only worse in the much heavier Prado and would be much evident in the fast highways of UAE. But since he had already specified it would be used 70% in the city, he is very much worried about BS6 issues and the NGT dictatorial area of NCR, he can't wrong with the petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Why not a Petrol Thar ?
Even if it develops engine issues after 1,50,000kms (viz unlikely in a non-heavy use car), rebuilding would barely cost a tiny fraction of the difference in prices between Fortuner & Thar.
He specifically said this would replace the Honda Civic and Skoda Yeti. Impractical as the Thar is, it can't be replacing a Civic and Yeti. Even if we take into account the upcoming 5 door, the old school 2.7l lump will be anydays reliable than a GDI turbo from Mahindra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Next Generation Fortuner isn’t coming this year-end. 10 year life-cycle of the 2nd generation model will end in 2025, after that in 2026 the new generation will come out! ....And no way will the new generation model be available at the same price as the current model. For a facelift of this generation’s 2021 model Toyota had raised prices by 1.5 - 3 Lakh over the pre-facelift model depending on the variant, you know what to expect when a generation change takes place!
Looking at the Innova Hycross, can expect to be surprised by the decisions that Toyota makes nowadays. But there are a number of models waiting to be launched before the Fortuner. The next gen Prado, 4Runner, Tacoma are all waiting in line to be launched based on the TNGA-F platform. So yes, the Hilux and Fortuner still has a couple of years left to hit the market. Less said about the expected price rise. With the TNGA platform shift plus the mild-hybrids would mean the price rise will be more than expected of a generational change.
DicKy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 00:53   #1168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not to rain on your parade but since you are already on a waiting list, you could probably wait till December and get the completely new generation fortuner for about the same price since you are anyway planning on keeping this for a long time. I am hesitant about a 2.7L petrol engine in a big SUV producing just 245nm of torque. Our times with the petrol Prado was very disappointing even on highways, much less mountains. If you have already considered all this or need it right this year, you can ignore this.
The next generation is not expected until 2026 in India and can't wait that long. I am a sedate driver and won't be hauling heavy stuffs or a trailer. The 245nm torque I believe is just about OK for normal use case scenario. The 500nm torque in the 2.8L diesel mill is already so high for the kind of 95% usage we do typically in India. In other markets, Toyota offers a toned down 2.4L diesel option as well in lower variants of Fortuner with 360nm torque. In those markets, if you are hauling a trailer, the 2.8L is preferred with the 500nm, else the 2.4L with the 360nm is more than enough for normal use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
By 2038, India will make godknows what blend of Ethnol mixed with petrol as compulsory, so every tankful could possibly need an additive to help the engine cope with the blended fuel.

Why not a Petrol Thar ?
Need a full-fledged 7-seaters SUV with absolute reliability. And hence the Toyota badge, but not the diesel! I am aware the FE on such as a heavy car won't be good, but at least it will be available when and where I need it.
iTNerd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 02:25   #1169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Next Generation Fortuner isn’t coming this year-end. 10 year life-cycle of the 2nd generation model will end in 2025, after that in 2026 the new generation will come out!

And no way will the new generation model be available at the same price as the current model. For a facelift of this generation’s 2021 model Toyota had raised prices by 1.5 - 3 Lakh over the pre-facelift model depending on the variant, you know what to expect when a generation change takes place!
Quote:
The next generation is not expected until 2026 in India and can't wait that long. I am a sedate driver and won't be hauling heavy stuffs or a trailer. The 245nm torque I believe is just about OK for normal use case scenario. The 500nm torque in the 2.8L diesel mill is already so high for the kind of 95% usage we do typically in India. In other markets, Toyota offers a toned down 2.4L diesel option as well in lower variants of Fortuner with 360nm torque. In those markets, if you are hauling a trailer, the 2.8L is preferred with the 500nm, else the 2.4L with the 360nm is more than enough for normal use.

I have to respectfully disagree. The way Toyota is churning out special editions it is pretty clear that the next gen is on it's way soon and they are trying to clear out stock. I have talked about Toyota's strategy to minimise losses and discounts while introducing a new generation of their products, I think a few months back, when I decided not to buy the Crysta because I felt the next gen product was on it's way. I got told there wasn't a single facelift so there was no way a new Innova was coming out anytime soon but lo and behold, the Hycross was unveiled in December.

Considering that there is no competition for it here, Toyota could theoretically continue selling the current gen fortuner till 2025 in India. However, considering how Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines etc are all important markets for Toyota and how Ford has launched the next gen endeavour there, along with how many other other competitors Toyota has over there, I believe they will be announcing it next year to try and bring the aging Fortuner up to date. I don't think there will be that much of a price difference because all the price hikes have already pushed it to next gen territory. I could be wrong about the price though since the fortuner has no competitors except the gloster which is struggling to sell.
Cresterk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 12:13   #1170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have to respectfully disagree. The way Toyota is churning out special editions it is pretty clear that the next gen is on it's way soon and they are trying to clear out stock.
If the next gen launch is in 2023, we would have already seen some kind of spyshots by now. Even if we assume Toyota had been testing it secretly, with the proposed hybrid-diesel mill, it should be munching miles for thorough testing, somewhere in outbacks in Australia or in some region of South East Asia. All we have info on the new generation fortuner is from speculative print media. I don't see the first launch until late 2023 in Thailand and mid-2024 in India. And that's just a conservative estimate.

My other option I am contemplating is to buy a diesel Fortuner and enjoy it now and sell it off in 2-3 years when the new generation is expected. Resale should be pretty good compared to the Petrol one, with 7-8 years remaining life in NCR. That is, only if they introduce a hybrid-petrol option too, which would be the ideal vehicle for me and others in these regions.
iTNerd is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed