Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2023, 19:54   #1216
BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Any update on what is the current waiting period for all variants? Planning to go for a 4x4 AT (Attitude black with Chamois interiors).
sharc_biker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 10:42   #1217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
Any update on what is the current waiting period for all variants? Planning to go for a 4x4 AT (Attitude black with Chamois interiors).
4x4 AT in black with black interiors should be available within a month, if not sooner. However, you might have to wait longer for one with chamois interiors.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 11:50   #1218
BHPian

Had done a 800 Kms trip from Gurgaon to Chail and return over the Republic Day long weekend. Car performed really well on the Delhi - Chandigarh highway as also on the Himalayan Expressway (Chandigarh - Shimla). I was initially worried about the narrow road (Kandaghat - Kufri Road) leading to Chail, which I had done in my Abarth Punto in December 2021, but it was just fine even with the Fortuner. One just needs to anticipate the incoming traffic at the numerous blind curves and keep your palm on the horn pad with slow speed. Took about 9 hours from Gurgaon to Chail whereas it took about 10 hours while returning due to intermittent rains and because it was Sunday and everyone was returning after the long weekend. Got a very decent 13 Kmpl overall mileage for the entire trip.

After the trip, the car looked in its character and I kept it intact for a few days before getting a routine PPF maintenance ceramic wash. Sharing some pictures below.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-9399a171ce20414986b839b1d58666ff.jpeg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-223534e5ce704577a7ceb1d9916a552e.jpeg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-481ea00e0d6b40dda4c0d83b7db26cf1.jpeg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-580d2b1d77334175a08ad1851146ff6f.jpeg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-998928e7f1bf42af867deeade6df5091.jpeg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-59737b0aecf742b687bb1c38b424211c.jpeg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-1e0588c4734e488fa74f5ebc0bfdb50e.jpeg  

jbpanda is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 12:47   #1219
BHPian

I had a concern with my new AT 4x4, which I raised with the company vide their email voc@toyoto-kirloskar.co.in
Below is the copy of the mail posted to them on 17th Feb. Just to mention that I had contacted the service station physically to show them the problem even before I shot this mail, to which I was told that the part would be replaced on payment and that too would be requisitioned on order!

"I had purchased a Toyota Fortuner from Galaxy Automobiles Pvt Ltd, Lajpat Nagar, New Delhi on 22 Oct 2022.
The registered and chassis number of the vehicle being UP16DL3004 and MBJBA3FS100836831 respectively.

Subsequent to the purchase of this vehicle, when the boot lid would be opened, the boot closing switch housing would dangle out of its cavity. Upon closer inspection of the same, it was revealed that the holding catches of the switch housing were broken and missing, apparently even before the vehicle was delivered.
The service station of the dealership at Okhla was approached and the concern was shared. The service manager inspected and confirmed about the breakage of these catches which consequently leads the console to dangle out of the cavity.
Apropos, a request was initiated to replace the switch housing, however, the service manager shared his inability to do so as the part was not available at that time and moreso, it only would be provided on payment.

It is felt that an omission has been carried out during the PDI, consequently the dealership should be liable to replace the same. It is not understood as to why a customer is being made to pay for the folly of the staff handling the vehicle pre-delivery?

Photograph of the same is attached herewith for assimilation of the above.
I share this concern for a positive resolution from your end."
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-screenshot-20230220-12.41.03-pm.png  

susan3004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 15:28   #1220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
I had a concern with my new AT 4x4, which I raised with the company vide their email voc@toyoto-kirloskar.co.in
The same happened to my new Fortuner and when raised promptly with my dealer Harsha Toyota at Hyderabad, they inspected it and logged a replacement request with Toyota. It was later replaced under warranty. Just insist the technical team of the dealer to inspect, log it and do the needful!

Last edited by Aditya : 20th February 2023 at 17:31. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
getsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 14:27   #1221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
The same happened to my new Fortuner and when raised promptly with my dealer Harsha Toyota at Hyderabad, they inspected it and logged a replacement request with Toyota. It was later replaced under warranty. Just insist the technical team of the dealer to inspect, log it and do the needful!
I would say that it's fortunate to have such an understanding team at Harsha Toyota.

Subsequent to the above mail to voc, the issue has been considered as a complaint and palmed off to the dealership. In turn, I did get a call from the assistant service manager, however, they did not clarify as to whether the cost of replacement would be borne by the dealership or otherwise.

I shot another mail to the voc with a copy to the dealership yesterday and I'm yet to hear from either of them.

Copy of the mail is pasted below.

Namaste.
As per your steadfastness, the dealership had called me and inquired whether I had lodged a complaint or not?
However, I wish to clarify that it my concern, and not a complaint.
It is requested that a clarification be given to me about my concern mentioned in my above mail. Just to reiterate, I want to know whether a customer is liable to pay for the folly of the handling staff of Toyota dealership before delivery?
And as time elapses, I also wish to ask if the customers are left in lurch to fend for themselves? I feel so in absence of no definite reply from your end.
susan3004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 22:24   #1222
Senior - BHPian

Took delivery today with 7 kms on the odo. The car was allotted to me in early February after just 4 weeks of booking. However, took time in arranging the sale of my 13 years old Civic and the subsequent time taken to receive the NCB reserving certificate, which finally I got it yesterday and transferred to the new car. Dealer offered a comprehensive insurance from New India Assurance with add-ons (Zero Dep with consumables, RTI, Engine Protect, Key Protect, Tyres and Alloy, Personal Belongings) with 50% NCB (around 15K discount on OD). Got around 31K worth of accessories free from the dealer (3M underbody coating with 5 years warranty, fender mirror, rear bumper step guard, auto folding mirror and fog lamp garnish). Coming from a low slung Civic, this is a drastic experience. Love the towering view of the road. With the BF Goodrich Tyres which I plan to switch in few days, should get taller by an inch or two. Traffic was really bad so, couldn't really experience the sport mode yet.

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-photo20230221190611optimized.jpg
iTNerd is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 11:10   #1223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2k4 View Post
The backordered parts have reached the workshop and the car's with the dealer for repairs.
Ref: DPF Issues.

Closing the feedback loop. I have now driven my Fortuner about 2K km since the DPF parts were replaced, including a 1,100 Km return trip from Chandigarh to Rajasthan.

Driving in city conditions, the DPF regen takes its sweet time. It generally happens on the 4th or 5th bar. If I happen to notice the 4th bar by pressing the DPF regen button, I trigger the regen by placing the Fortuner into manual driving mode and toggling down to the 2nd / 3rd gear which keeps the RPM range between 1500-2000 band and after a couple of minutes of driving like this, the regen starts.

On highways, at high speeds, 80+, the regen happens on its own. During the 1,100 Km trip, the car did 3-4 regens periodically. When regen is happening, the fuel efficiency goes down by 2-3 Kmpl.

Fingers crossed, I will not face the hassle I did last year ever again.
t2k4 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 11:16   #1224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
A short review of my Toyota Fortuner petrol AT (4000km):

The things I don’t like about the Fortuner:
• I initially found the entry and exit from the driver’s seat to be quite complicated and unwieldy. The space between the ceiling and floor of the doorway seems a bit too small, forcing me to bend down to enter or exit, which is a bit uncomfortable because of my bad back. I have now figured out that I can climb on the footboard and back into the seat, butt first. Not very elegant but it works well now. I never heard this issue mentioned previously, so I wonder what other owners/users think. I am 5 foot 11, by the way.

You're not alone in this experience. I have a similar body structure (5-11) and I find ingress to be challenging. It's easier, space-wise & comfort-wise, the height of the car notwithstanding, to get in and out of my Creta than in Fortuner.

The button-lock floor mat on my Fortuner usually gets dislodged during ingress because of the pressure my foot puts on the floor mat trying to maneuver & find a comfortable posture to get in and fit in. I have tried moving the steering all the way up and the seat all the way back to make this work, but it doesn't quite gel. I have now developed a muscle memory to contort & twist the body to get in.
t2k4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 14:33   #1225
BHPian

Further to my earlier posts, the latest update is that the voc has not acknowledged my mail and Galaxy Toyota has put the onus of the flawed plastic piece on me.

Although the cost of replacing the piece has been quoted at Rs850, but I feel dejected by the attitude of the dealership. At this point I better look for other workshops to service the vehicle for whatever time I have to use it.

As I compare the Fortuner with my Pajero Sport, I find so much comfort(physically and mentally) with the latter.
Old 22nd February 2023, 15:21   #1226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Further to my earlier posts, the latest update is that the voc has not acknowledged my mail and Galaxy Toyota has put the onus of the flawed plastic piece on me.

Although the cost of replacing the piece has been quoted at Rs850, but I feel dejected by the attitude of the dealership. At this point I better look for other workshops to service the vehicle for whatever time I have to use it.

As I compare the Fortuner with my Pajero Sport, I find so much comfort(physically and mentally) with the latter.
Hi, my 2 cents..... in this case, even though your dealership experience has been far from satisfactory, IMO the financial cost vs. peace of mind due to this experience do not add up. I would suggest that you get the part changed at your cost and leave this experience behind. It's a beautiful machine that you've bought and Toyota is fundamentally still a very good company here in India and abroad. I'm sure the pleasure you'll derive from this car over the long run would more than make up for these dealer level nuances. Happy revvin'!!!!!
Revvman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 17:17   #1227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Why do you want to wait another 2000 kms to fill adblue? Just buy a can and top it up as soon as possible. Don't expect the ad blue in your car to last another 2000 kms, not worth the risk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Agree to getsurya, it is better to top it up in next 1000 kms and have peace of mind

BTW my sales person told me at the time of delivery that Adblue tank is not full and will last only for ~3K Kms
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Just get two 5 lit cans of AdBlue from your Toyota dealership and do these top-ups yourself. All you need is a good quality plastic funnel and a 1-lit tumbler. My thumb rule has been to keep topping it up after every 3,000-4,000 km OR before a long (read 3,000+ km) drive. It hardly takes 10 mins!
Thank you for your suggestions! I got two 5 liter cans of AdBlue from Toyota workshop last weekend and took help of their technician to help refill it. They provided funnel which can be tightened on the can itself. The tank consumed about 8.5 liters. There was still about 1500 odd Kms to go but I went with your advice to top it up and have peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
My sincere apologies for jumping ship Believe me, I still hold my ground that MT is way more fun to drive than the AT, and that was the reason to go for MT in the first place. However, one has to accept realities of life - one of the prominent ones is age and associated need for convenience. Having crossed over to the wrong side of 40s sometime back, I do not seem to have much choice but to give in to such conveniences.

Too early to say but initial impressions are a mixed bag, compared to MT. While the higher torque makes its presence felt, the pleasure of engaging the clutch and associated immediate acceleration is missed in the TC transmission. You win some, you lose some!
No worries at all. I completely understand how with time convenience takes precedence over driving pleasure. I have always been a MT person and never enjoyed AT, possibly because of my own prejudice and mental blockage. So for now I will continue with MT till the time I am compelled to choose AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post

For accessories (freebies), I have chosen 3M underbody rust coating, fender mirror, muffler cutter, rear bumper step guard and 3D rubber mats.
Congratulations on getting the beast home! Nice picture too. Wanted to understand the utility and value of installing fender mirror in terms of covering blind spots and parking at tight spots based on your experience. Aesthetically, both fender mirror and muffler cutter look good. Wishing you lakhs of happy miles on your white elephant.
jbpanda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 22:37   #1228
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Unlike the diesel, the petrol does not get the Normal mode button, but it activates when you deselect Power or Eco modes. I have found the normal D mode to be best suited for all needs. Try that.
Thanks, will try this. But also, the mileage will keep improving/changing for a bit, I presume. For example, so far, I've hardly had to use the a/c. But overall, I am not overly concerned about the power/mileage issue, just found it noteworthy, is all.

Am close to 5000 kms driven now, and my enjoyment has only increased with each passing week. As I've gotten more comfortable with the behemoth, I am much more willing to stomp down on the accelerator when I have an opportunity. I haven't driven the diesel version but I am definitely finding no issues whatsoever with power in the petrol automatic Fortuner.

One question: I haven't really had a good look underneath the car but how good is the underbody protection? Not that I am going to do any hardcore stuff with a 2WD, but is there any need for additional plates, especially when driving on bad roads, trails etc?
R_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 13:05   #1229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvman View Post
Hi, my 2 cents..... in this case, even though your dealership experience has been far from satisfactory, IMO the financial cost vs. peace of mind due to this experience do not add up. I would suggest that you get the part changed at your cost and leave this experience behind. It's a beautiful machine that you've bought and Toyota is fundamentally still a very good company here in India and abroad. I'm sure the pleasure you'll derive from this car over the long run would more than make up for these dealer level nuances. Happy revvin'!!!!!
Absolutely my thoughts, even before I approached the dealership with this issue.
On top of that, the part itself is not expensive. But now at least, I know what level am I dealing at.
I've checked for the part in the open market and it costs 1/3 of the quoted cost.
susan3004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 17:46   #1230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpanda View Post
Congratulations on getting the beast home! Nice picture too. Wanted to understand the utility and value of installing fender mirror in terms of covering blind spots and parking at tight spots based on your experience. Aesthetically, both fender mirror and muffler cutter look good. Wishing you lakhs of happy miles on your white elephant.
Thanks. I do find the fender mirror useful on many occasions like parking parallel to a wall or pavement or when you are in bumper traffic with multiple lanes. You can judge the space between my front left tire relative position and the adjacent objects just as walls, other cars etcs. Coming from a Yeti and Civic, I find it as a useful assistant considering the size of the SUV and the lack of 360 cameras.

I went ahead with new tyres as well just a day from showroom - BF Goodrich KO2 with same OEM size. Love it!

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-bfg.jpg
iTNerd is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed