Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2021, 17:46   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Thanks to Ambrish Khosla for sending this iformation in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

I bought a new 2021 Fortuner 4x4 automatic diesel on April 14, 2021. I have already got my first service (1,000 km) done at IJM Motors, Ludhiana, Punjab.

The problem that I am facing is that after every 50 - 60 km, the SUV starts the DPF regeneration process and the same is indicated in MID. Before service, the same was happening every 100 km.

I understand that the frequency of DPF regeneration depends on driving style and traffic conditions, but DPF regeneration every 50 km is annoying. Is something wrong with my car or is it normal?

I drive 30% on highways and 70% in the city. My daily driving distance is 50 - 55 km. What is the normal period for DPF regeneration in city driving conditions? What would be same for highway driving conditions?

I drive the car with a very light foot and get a fuel efficiency of 10 km/l, which I think is good for vehicle of this size. Still, the DPF is regenerating every 50 km. I have not taken the car on a long drive due to the Covid situation in my city. So, no touring or long out of town journeys.

I have also contacted Toyota through voc@toyota-kirloskar.co.in. They called me 2 times and also arranged a call with some mechanics from different cities and from my dealership. But sadly, no one was able to give a proper reply as to what the normal period of DPF regeneration in the Fortuner is. They are all giving a standard reply that it depends on different conditions.

If you could ask other Fortuner owners what their experience with the DPF regeneration frequency is, it would be really helpful.
Frequent DPF choking and regeneration is a known issue on some Toyota Innova 2.4s and Fortuners. I believe city driving at low revs, OR not allowing the engine to get upto temperature (short journeys) is what causes the DPF to choke up very fast.

A cold diesel engine or one that is at low revvs in stop start traffic will produce much more soot (carbon) as compared to an engine which is redlining away on highways for long intervals or does very long distances between startup and shutdown. Toyota is not the only car maker facing this issue. Even Kia is facing issues with DPF choking on many U2 1.5 CRDI Seltos' and Cretas.

My advise would be to change driving style and vary revvs a bit. Don't stick to low revvs only. Give it a good Italian tuneup once in 2-3 days for a short period of time. Then check how it pans out. BS-6 has really ruined many diesel engines (apart from butchering most of them).
vishy76 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 18:55   #197
BHPian

Quote:

The problem that I am facing is that after every 50 - 60 km, the SUV starts the DPF regeneration process and the same is indicated in MID. Before service, the same was happening every 100 km.

I understand that the frequency of DPF regeneration depends on driving style and traffic conditions, but DPF regeneration every 50 km is annoying. Is something wrong with my car or is it normal?

I drive 30% on highways and 70% in the city. My daily driving distance is 50 - 55 km. What is the normal period for DPF regeneration in city driving conditions? What would be same for highway driving conditions?
My experience with DPF is that it regenerates every 300-400 kms in both my Fortuner and Innova, sometimes earlier in city traffic. Having said that, unless you see massive drop in fuel economy or change in engine power there is nothing to worry. I didn't quite understand the annoying part. The only annoying thing is the MID popup, other than that regeneration hardly impacts your drive. If the pop up wasn't there, you wouldn't even know regen is happening, like in my Innova as it has basic instrument cluster.

My car starts regeneration whenever the DPF is at 3-4 bars. At how many bars does your DPF start? If it is less like 3-4 bars, I don't think its an issue but if it shows full bars every 50-100 kms then maybe something is wrong. Try emptying the tank once and change the fuel station to verify that fuel is not the cause. But 50-100 kms might be too frequent, keep the dealership and voc updated. They might want to keep the car for a day to check it themselves. Also keep an eye on fuel economy and driving characteristics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Frequent DPF choking and regeneration is a known issue on some Toyota Innova 2.4s and Fortuners. I believe city driving at low revs, OR not allowing the engine to get upto temperature (short journeys) is what causes the DPF to choke up very fast.
The owner hasn't reported any choking. He is just complaining of frequent regeneration. Fortuner and Innova don't do regeneration only when DPF is full, they start when capacity reaches just 30%. DPF regen itself doesn't change any noticeable power delivery and in fact it makes no difference to the driver. However at idle you can notice high RPM when regen is happening. I haven't yet seen any Toyota choking issues at least in this or facebook forum. The only issues they had were from Australia for 2015-19 models. But if you did find issues here, please do share. I might have missed them.

Last edited by Technic90 : 16th June 2021 at 19:03.
Technic90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 19:02   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu View Post
Are these luggage racks allowed by the RTO? I thought they are a good source of income for the inspectors, I may be wrong though.
Technically not allowed and its dependent on mood of police. Lesser problems in south and west India, more problems in North India and West Bengal. I have paid fines in Jaipur and HR.

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-fortuner-luggage-box.jpg
Shubhendra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 20:43   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to Ambrish Khosla for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!
Majority of my 6000KM have been clocked on highway and in these conditions regeneration happen between 100-250KM range. Regen lasts about 10KM or so and sometime even shorter. During lockdown of close to 2 months, I clocked only around 250KM and I recall regen happened twice for a short duration. Driving involved short drives but I ensure to switch on sport mode and redline atleast once per drive, not because I wanted to avoid regen but Fortuner in Sport mode is different car altogether, it will leave you grinning when you blast through even on bad roads. As mentioned other than a notification in MID on regen, I don't find it intrusive.

I had to refill DEF at around 4500KM when I got warning in MID indicating DEF will last another 2.5K KM. In regular driving conditions I think a tank of DEF will last 6-7K but might reduce if you drive more in city.
PrideRed is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 07:02   #200
Team-BHP Support

Waiting times.

Another friend wants a 4X4 AT in super white with chamois and end July is what is quoted. How is it at other places?
Old 19th June 2021, 11:23   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Waiting times.

Another friend wants a 4X4 AT in super white with chamois and end July is what is quoted. How is it at other places?
2-3 months is pretty much the norm in Bangalore. Factory is now operational with 50% strength. For colors like phantom brown, waiting period shoots up to 4-6 months. If lockdown restrictions eases, these times will come down.
Old 22nd June 2021, 17:03   #202
Senior - BHPian

I like CarDekho's new comparison tests. Not only they are out of the box but they have put in a lot of effort in compiling these reports.

First up Fuel efficiency comparo with Endeavour.

https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...fare-27283.htm

Next up- Headlight comparison. This ones interesting and a lot of effort has gone into ring out facts.

https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...ared-27247.htm

Lastly, Touch screen/Audio/Instrument console user experience comparison. While there are no metrics, a nice comparison indeed.

https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...s-g4-27185.htm

Only issue, they should have got Gloster instead of Allspace.

Last edited by PrideRed : 22nd June 2021 at 17:05.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 22:42   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to Ambrish Khosla for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!
This is a very known and prevalent issue in Toyota 1GD-FTV 2.8 DPFs.

There is some design defect in the DPF and the engine is known to rely on the regeneration process quite frequently. Ideally the DPF should not get clogged so quickly and should clear by itself but the Toyota ones rely too much on the manual regeneration process.

Toyota is already facing a class action lawsuit about this in Australia.

Although Toyota claims some design changes have been made and it has led to some resolution too but owners still continue to report issues.

Links regarding the same:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Last edited by Shreyas Agarwal : 22nd June 2021 at 22:43.
Shreyas Agarwal is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 16:25   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Agarwal View Post
This is a very known and prevalent issue in Toyota 1GD-FTV 2.8 DPFs.

There is some design defect in the DPF and the engine is known to rely on the regeneration process quite frequently. Ideally the DPF should not get clogged so quickly and should clear by itself but the Toyota ones rely too much on the manual regeneration process.
While I acknowledge the known issue with Toyota and DPF, the issue user is facing here is frequent "Auto" regen in city usage and did not have to manually intervene. Shorter trips, city driving are know to clog DPF and is pretty much the case with most vehicles equipped with DPF.

Issue was specific to models sold between 2015-April 2020. Models that came post May 2020 have a different implementation which is what Fortuner facelift gets in India.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/900470/...one-to-fix-it/

Quote:
Anecdotally, during our time with new HiLux and Fortuner since these changes have been made, the DPF has been automatically going into an active regeneration mode more regularly – up to five times in one vehicle in less than one week, including on a freeway run

Last edited by PrideRed : 23rd June 2021 at 16:26.
Old 23rd June 2021, 18:21   #205
cnu
BHPian

A short video on AdBlue refilling. Note that there is no message or indication on the MID about empty AdBlue when trying to start the engine.

cnu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 19:04   #206
cnu
BHPian

A nice overview of the carot app and its features:

cnu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 07:18   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu View Post
A nice overview of the carot app and its features:

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=PwfEzCJNnrM
Good informative video, cnu! Thanks for sharing!
I have been using this app from almost 6 months now, and probably was one of the early adopters of the same. The app itself is useless and pathetic with bugs, I'm still working with Unominda folks to resolve some of them. I am very surprised that Toyota cleared this app, to their quality levels.

Some of the bugs are:

1. Notifications without any triggers in the middle of the night, when vehicle is parked
2. Some parameters not working, like drivers score
3. App crashes

With the access to OBD and this technology, the app and the Carot product is simply Neanderthal for current times!!
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 22:11   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

How many kilometres can the Fortuner run on a full tank of Ad-Blue? Does one tank last till the service interval of 10,000km?
Old 2nd July 2021, 11:32   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
How many kilometres can the Fortuner run on a full tank of Ad-Blue? Does one tank last till the service interval of 10,000km?
It may last but chances are slim. I had refilled about 6-7Ltr when car clocked about 4K KM's and warning indicated range of about 2500KM. Total capacity is 10Ltr. Depends on driving style and conditions. Recently noticed AdBlue is available in fuel stations too, 20Lts can was quoted 1050 bucks.
Old 2nd July 2021, 12:28   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Total capacity is 10Ltr. Depends on driving style and conditions.
Highly unlikely that 10 lit of AdBlue will last for more than 5,000 km or so. I am going by the same ballpark as the Endeavour, wherein 18 lit lasts for about 8,000 km. Would be great to get real-world feedback on this.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks