Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2022, 14:23   #871
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm3899_CHD View Post
Did you drive the diesel 4x4 automatic one?
Yes the 4x4 AT. The sales advisor told me both 4H and a4L can be engaged only after coming to a complete halt and gearbox should be N. I guess he was wrong?4H should be shift on the fly.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 15:10   #872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Humbly, would like to put one point forward .

I honestly believe, most cars and SUV's nowadays are proper 4 seaters, because the way the seat for the 5th occupant is designed, it's scooped, has transmission tunnel below it and the under-thigh support is less. Tata's & Mahindra's had flat bench seats & 3 medium built passengers could be accommodated comfortably, not any longer.
True that. None of them are actual 5 seaters. I use the middle passenger space for a child seat.

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-photo1661679567.jpeg

Fortuner's middle row is just wide enough, to accommodate two adults on either side of the child seat. In fact I am able to manage only because my usual passengers are not large sized. My Hexa was perfect in the middle row. It could accommodate a child seat and two large sized adults on either sides. This may be argumentative, but I felt, Scorpio's second row was even narrower than Fortuner and will struggle to support this configuration. It could also be an illusion because of the dark-colored seats.

PS : I know the ISOFIX mounts are on the window sides and it is illogical and may be less safer too, to keep the child seat in the middle. But I feel more comfortable keeping my toddler in the middle of two adults than at the sides.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 28th August 2022 at 15:12.
padmrajravi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 16:31   #873
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic90 View Post
The only reason ScorpioN will sell more than Fortuner is because it's cheap, not because it is superior. The product was good but not good enough to go against Fortuner. If XUV700 couldn't dent Innova sales, ScorpioN will not make an iota of difference to Fortuner.
We will have to come back to this discussion in early Jan 2023 and make that call.

Would Aug'22 - Aug'23 still rake in 3K+/month sales for the Fortuner, lets wait and watch! Its unfair to claim victory for either side now.

One thing that auto manufacturers need to analyze is the age group and generation slider that is constantly moving in the buying populi. The likes and dislikes of Millennials (age 24-40 approx) and GenZ (age 8-23 approx) is not the same at all. Seamless purchase experience, Feeling of being in control from start to finish, Automatic transmission, Ease of driving, Cars loaded with Tech, Coolness of the product, Customizability, Connected Tech are all going to be crucial to entice GenZ which the Millennials may not have cared at all.

Last edited by MetalClank : 28th August 2022 at 16:32.
Old 28th August 2022, 16:43   #874
BHPian

Overall Fortuner is a better product than ScorpioN, there is no question about it. The real question is how much better and in which all aspects to be precise? Is the price premium paid for Fortuner worth?

Ofcourse, if money is a not a problem, its Fortuner. Might as well Landcruiser then.

IMO ScorpioN is 80% of Fortuner for about half the price. Not a bad deal for first time BOF buyers. For millionaires, they probably wont even think of a ScorpioN.

So both will sell, although I think T-fort sales will go down, just a bit. If they don't, we can safely call TOYOTA a godly brand!!

Last edited by Indepth : 28th August 2022 at 16:47. Reason: Paragraphing
Indepth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 19:17   #875
BHPian

Not sure why this thread is becoming a Scorpio-N vs Fortuner thread. I for once applaud the variety in the Indian auto sector and the sheer competitiveness nowadays.

The Venue is 80% of the Creta is 80% of the Tucson, yet they all exist with varying sales volumes, within the same company product portfolio. Success of any car hinges on price, product, brand position, and of course consumer trust, and most of us agree that the Fortuner scores in the latter three parameters in spades. How much pricing is a factor, only sales volumes will say.

Having said that I do not see the Fortuner taking an immediate hit because Scorpio-N production will take time to ramp up, Mahindra will increase prices quickly, and niggles will take time to sort out.
achyutaghosh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 19:41   #876
Distinguished - BHPian

Coming back to the topic of the Fortuner.

One of my parent's schoolmate's in Delhi-NCR had a 2014 May Fortuner 4X2 AT Diesel, bought just a few months after we bought our's.

He had to let go off it, due to the Draconian NGT 10-year rule on diesel cars. He got 11 Lakhs for his Diesel 4X2 AT from the Toyota dealership itself, meanwhile at other online portals he was getting 8 Lakhs.

He exchanged his 2014 Fortuner with a Petrol 4X2 AT Fortuner in Super white and hasn't been more happier. Right off the bat he is extremely impressed by the refinement of the engine! He is not a pedal-to-metal driver and shuttles in and around Delhi-NCR so he didn't care much about the lack of power/torque that the diesel offers.

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-inkedwhatsapp-image-20220827-1.39.40-pm.jpg

My dad wants to replace his Fortuner in a year at max now, lets see if the Diesel Fortuner remains on sale till then, otherwise it's going to be the petrol Fortuner for us as well or the Petrol Hybrid if it comes by then (hybrid depends on the HyCross success, the Urban Cruiser Strong Hybrid also sucks).

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 28th August 2022 at 19:45.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 20:34   #877
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
He is not a pedal-to-metal driver and shuttles in and around Delhi-NCR so he didn't care much about the lack of power/torque that the diesel offers..
Congratulations to your friend on the new purchase! What lack of power/torque of the Fortuner Diesel is he worried about ... i am sure he will love it!
MetalClank is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 20:37   #878
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalClank View Post
Congratulations to your friend on the new purchase! What lack of power/torque of the Fortuner Diesel is he worried about ... i am sure he will love it!
Oops, made an error! I meant lack of power/torque in the Petrol compared to the Diesel
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 10:35   #879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
The sales advisor told me both 4H and a4L can be engaged only after coming to a complete halt and gearbox should be N. I guess he was wrong?4H should be shift on the fly.
Yes, it is shift on fly. I think the performance of Scorpio N must be comparable or on the same level with the 3.0 d4d Fortuner automatic. I have booked diesel automatic Z8 and got introductory pricing but have not driven one yet. My dad drove the petrol auto one and he was absolutely smitten over it.
asm3899_CHD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 19:19   #880
Senior - BHPian

Got my 4x4 AT Black Fortuner yesterday.

I have a question regarding the DRL. I have not had a chance to see this in the day but how do the DRL's function as I just tested them and I get the small projectors working alongwith the LED strip below however

I just wish to know how to have the complete DRL functioning as they do not seem ot light up in the evening when there is less sunlight - is that so ?
vkochar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 20:12   #881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Got my 4x4 AT Black Fortuner yesterday
Many congratulations. Wishing you hundreds of thousands of happy and safe km on the beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I have a question regarding the DRL
DRLs will only work in "Auto" mode during daylight. These will not work with headlamps, which will come on automatically in low ambient light conditions, if the light switch is in "Auto" mode.

From owner's manual:

Quote:
To make your vehicle more visible to other drivers during daytime driving, the daytime running lights turn on automatically whenever the engine is started and the parking brake is released with the headlight switch in AUTO. (Illuminate brighter than the front position lights.) The daytime running light system is not designed for use at night.

Last edited by cool_dube : 1st September 2022 at 20:14.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 20:59   #882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I honestly believe, most cars and SUV's nowadays are proper 4 seaters,
... Haven't experienced the Carnival.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
True that. None of them are actual 5 seaters. I use the middle passenger space for a child seat.

Attachment 2351757
....Fortuner's middle row is just wide enough, to accommodate two adults on either side of the child seat. ...
The Fortuner is no doubt a tried and tested product and in a higher bracket compared to the Scorpio N which is competent in its price bracket.

The Scorpio-N with its 1917mm width is significantly wider than the Fortuner's width at 1855mm. Second row seating for 3 adults in 2nd row is definitely better in the Scorpio N.

The Carnival is of course significantly wider at 1985mm than even the Scorpio-N, so its is a true 7 seater with cavernous luggage space
Old 2nd September 2022, 11:43   #883
BHPian

Hi, so after almost 4700 kms on the odo the adblue low level warning came up on the instrument cluster, does anyone know whats the capacity of the ad blue tank in the fortuner?
Old 2nd September 2022, 11:45   #884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Hi, so after almost 4700 kms on the odo the adblue low level warning came up on the instrument cluster, does anyone know whats the capacity of the ad blue tank in the fortuner?
The car will take up about 7L. The total tank capacity is about 10L. You can buy 2X5L cans and fill up yourself or get this done at service center.

Last edited by PrideRed : 2nd September 2022 at 11:54.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 11:53   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
The car will take up about 7L. The total tank capacity is about 10L. You can buy 2 5L cans and fill up yourself and get this done at service center.
Thanks for the prompt reply will buy 10 litres ad blue, and fill it up in the evening
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks