Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2022, 17:51   #1141
BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvman View Post
AFAIK, Toyota had stopped taking 4x4 AT bookings way back in September and surprised to know your dealer has committed mid-Dec delivery. Pls. verify the VIN number to check production month.

As regards the optional accessories, you're under no obligation to take either the accessories or the insurance from dealer. Go to Acko.com, get a comparative quote to what dealer is giving and negotiate with the dealer. He will most definitely match your quote or come close.
I own a 4X4 AT 2022 model, recently when I checked with a dealer in Bangalore about the booking, they mentioned booking is still happening for 4X4, also noticed on the Toyota website that Fortuner 4X4 booking is still available. I don't think Toyota will stop Fortuner until the new Fortuner is ready to be released. Fortuner is the premium offering without any competition so i feel Toyota won't take the risk of stopping it.
mukeshannamalai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 19:38   #1142
BHPian

Thank you for your inputs, Revvman and Mukesh.

Dealer seemed positive about delivery and I saw few vehicles in the stockyard getting read for delivery. They had indeed stopped taking booking a couple of months back, but that doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.

On the accessories front, while this is completely optional, it definitely is tied to delivery time of the vehicle. For a faster delivery, I would have to go for the seriously overpriced accessories.

On the insurance bit, have been looking at acko and policybazaar for options, but the significant difference in premium amount is making me skeptical. Would appreciate if there is an advice on this front.

MOD NOTE : Request you to please visit Posting Etiquettes for posting guidelines and adhere to it.

Thanks for support and cooperation.

Last edited by Sheel : 1st December 2022 at 10:01. Reason: MOD NOTE ATTACHED.
Phoenix_Nemo is offline   Received Infraction
Old 1st December 2022, 20:00   #1143

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-14 View Post
Hello All,

I wanted to share the good news with everyone that I have finally taken the leap and booked myself my dream car. I have booked the Petrol Fortuner 2WD AT in Silver Metallic color.
So finally after an exhausting wait for almost 2.5 months my fortunes have opened up and today I received a call from my SA informing me that I will receive my 2WD AT Petrol beast this month . The reason I am being told for the long wait times is due to the color I opted for, Metallic Silver. Although I tried my best to hide my excitement with the SA, but couldn't help it. My SA said that she will call me again soon on the exact date of dispatch and delivery. I have even told my SA to let me know when they are unloading the vehicle so that I can be there for the same. In the meantime I have already started the accessories shopping and have already procured the 7D mats, Dash Cam and today also placed an order for the AI-Plus Box from carlinkitcarplay.com. I opted for this since it has 4G capabilities via a 4G sim and also supports memory expansion via a micro-sd card. Will post a review once I receive it.
And now, the sleepless nights begin

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st December 2022 at 20:05. Reason: Quote content trimmed
C-14 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 00:00   #1144
BHPian

One pleasant surprise in our new Fortuner is no more Auto Start-Stop. At first I was disappointed that there was no button for turning off Auto Start-Stop but now after 2 months of usage , car is yet to turn off on it's own. I don't know if feature have been removed or logic has been changed either way I'm really happy.
Old 9th December 2022, 06:53   #1145
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Nemo View Post
Hello Fellow BHPians,

Booked a 4x4 AT variant in diesel guise last week and expecting delivery mid Dec. It was definitely a shock to see the way on-road prices have soared over the last couple of years. This gets only worse with the "optional" accessories and insurance quotes provided by the dealer. Any suggestions on how i could wriggle out/negotiate for a better quote?

thanks.
In Karnataka the Legender Fortuner costs some 63 or 64 lacs of Rupees on the road.
This is a really high price.
This causes me to wonder about ‘real inflation’ vs the ‘convenient numbers published by GOI’.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 09:23   #1146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolidus500 View Post
One pleasant surprise in our new Fortuner is no more Auto Start-Stop. At first I was disappointed that there was no button for turning off Auto Start-Stop but now after 2 months of usage , car is yet to turn off on it's own. I don't know if feature have been removed or logic has been changed either way I'm really happy.
I think 4X2 doesnot get this annoying feature or may be I am wrong. If there is a button present, then the feature is available. You need to press brake quite firmly to enable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
In Karnataka the Legender Fortuner costs some 63 or 64 lacs of Rupees on the road.
This is a really high price.
This causes me to wonder about ‘real inflation’ vs the ‘convenient numbers published by GOI’.
That should be price of GRS, Legender i guess is yet to breach 60L mark.
Old 9th December 2022, 09:30   #1147
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I
That should be price of GRS, Legender i guess is yet to breach 60L mark.
Legender must be 57 lacs. Thats what a neighbour of mine told me. Two of my neighbours have bought brand new Fortuners.
The prices are truly astronomical and can easily induce a heart attack by shocking unsuspecting fellows like me.
Old 11th December 2022, 11:32   #1148
BHPian

Hi, has anyone here upgraded the head unit on their Fortuner? I am planning to change the Oem head unit to the Pioneer Z 9350bt, any feedback, advice or suggestion is most welcome.

Last edited by Sheel : 12th December 2022 at 17:35. Reason: Punctuation space and capitalisation. Please be careful & proof read. Thanks.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 23:47   #1149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Hi, has anyone here upgraded the head unit on their Fortuner? I am planning to change the Oem head unit to the Pioneer Z 9350bt, any feedback, advice or suggestion is most welcome.
I think, there are upgrades but you would lose any intergration with the vehicle. I have added a non-branded wireless carplay ai box for wireless carplay. Since this is an android system, other apps can be added.
raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 13:15   #1150
BHPian

Query

1. Any tuner known in Delhi NCR who could get the speed warning beeps switched off?

2. Is there a way to connect the mobile phone(android auto) wirelessly to the Fortuner '22 model?
Old 21st December 2022, 17:20   #1151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post

1. Any tuner known in Delhi NCR who could get the speed warning beeps switched off?
Though possible, not sure if the contacts will be shared online, given its illegal. The local garages and service stations would the best bet to get this information

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
2. Is there a way to connect the mobile phone(android auto) wirelessly to the Fortuner '22 model?
There are plenty of 3rd party AI Boxes and adapters for this. Carlinkit seems popular. I use a unbranded AI BOX which helps to connect carplay and android auto wirelessly. Almost all of them are Chinese make. You could search for wireless carplay adapter / aibox on youtube to get a plethora of options. Most run on android 10, few on 11, and a couple on 12

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 21st December 2022 at 17:27.
raghu.t.k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 17:52   #1152

Here's a short review of my 2021 4x2 AT Diesel Fortuner
Jul 2021 - Dec 2022, 25000 km done

What I like
- Excellent power delivery. It has an answer to every question my right foot asks.
- Autobox is not rubbish (my alternate daily drive is a GT TSI).
- Eco, Normal and Sport buttons actually make things happen. Eco is usually enough, Normal for when I'm feeling adventurous and Sport is just annoying.
- Mileage! I get 11-12 with ~50% driving on what passes for a highway in Mumbai and the rest on city roads. On a full highway run, managed 16 over 240 km of 90 kph cruising with a full load (have a pic to prove it).
- Aircon does the job in any conditions (never tried the heater).
- LED headlights are fit for purpose (but feel inadequate to 'compel' an oncoming driver with full beams to dip his lights).
- Great vantage point from the driver's position with enough adjustments to satisfy most people and cooling for your derriere to boot.
- 3rd row can actually seat people (even if it's only kids) without having to break a leg.
- Overall the seats feel nice and supportive (mine are black).
- Powered tailgate. Because I'm lazy.
- Enough cupholders and cubbies to stuff with old toll receipts and expired insurance documents.
- Lastly, the engine sounds exactly the same today as when it was brand new (maybe Tata has lowered my standards).

What I dont
- This is not a car to be driven in. You will bounce around, sway around and generally, be uncomfortable. Especially if it's just the driver and you. This car was bought to fit a big family on weekends and my wife could be driven to office in during the week. That lasted all of 1 month (she has a long daily commute) and we ended up buying a sedan for her. Be sensible, sit up front.
- The car takes a noticeable jerk when you change direction from R to D or D to R, even with your foot firmly on the anchor. Workshop says it's because "the engine has too much torque" and it happens in all these cars. It's annoying.
- The 3rd row seats rattle to hell when folded unless they're cinched real tight. I just leave them down with the tops flipped down.
- If you fold and then open the 2nd row seats, they don't always lock firmly and you get an annoying rattle while driving if the 2nd row is empty. Have stopped the car innumerable times to fix the seat and stop the noise.
- Trip info display on the ICE head unit is just confusing. Can't scroll through current-trip stats, since-refuel stats and since-reset stats without changing the display setting.
- ICE head unit feels dated. (Apple Carplay helps)
- No wireless Carplay in a 2021 car sold for just under 50 lakhs
- Flappy paddles in a 2+ ton truck? Really?
- Ordered the 360 camera / terrain monitor with the car, but they said it wasn't available. Just saw a colleague's new car that had it installed - Called the dealership, but it's not available! Bizarre for a product they sell for 50k.

Service experience has been satisfactory. They remind / I call, they book, car goes, car comes back. As they say - On Time, In Full.

In hindsight, would I buy it again? In a heartbeat. Just not for my wife

Last edited by Aditya : 27th December 2022 at 17:22. Reason: Grammatical errors
4wheeldrive is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 21:01   #1153
Senior - BHPian

Any idea when the 4x4 variant (MT and AT) will be opened for booking? My local Toyota dealer refused to take booking for 4x4 variant and had no idea when it will be back
Old 23rd December 2022, 00:18   #1154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Any idea when the 4x4 variant (MT and AT) will be opened for booking? My local Toyota dealer refused to take booking for 4x4 variant and had no idea when it will be back
Bookings for the 4X4 were never stopped here, in Mumbai!
Old 24th December 2022, 17:41   #1155

Hello All,

After a long and extremely painful wait of 3months, I finally got my beast delivered yesterday. The vehicle was received at the showroom stockyard on 20th Dec, post which they informed me to come and carry out the PDI. The PDI was completed by me on the same day post which I gave them my approval for proceeding ahead with the formalities. The car was manufactured on 10 Dec 22 and had an ODO reading of 14KMS.
This car is our first high-value expense item that is purchased straight out without any loan. Initially, we did think of availing a small loan and closing the loan account out quickly but then decided to not go ahead with that due to the increasing rates of interest and also the initial EMI years consisting entirely of interest with minimal principal amounts.
I would like to thank the entire staff at Sharayu Toyota - Verna, Goa who were excellent in their customer service execution and for also sending out a car to my home to pick me and my family for the car delivery. Also, no unnecessary add-ons or accessories were pushed by the showroom SA and whatever I opted for was ok'd. Since this is the first year, I went ahead with Toyota insurance only. The insurance is from Chola. I have even opted for the extended warranty.
All the balance payments were cleared by Thursday evening. The SA informed me that they will be able to deliver the car by Friday and they did stick to that. While I was flexible on the dates for car delivery, the showroom ensured that no time is wasted due to registration formalities and did complete their part efficiently.
The entire delivery process took roughly an hour to complete. It was the typical process, it started with the SA sharing the vehicle documents along with signatures, and then with us cutting a cake and then doing the vehicle unveiling, post which the SA and a representative from the Service Department explained the features and also the service related queries of the car.
Once that was done, we handed over a small memento to our SA for her help and support throughout the booking to delivery process.
And then finally, we set off from the showroom to the Petrol Pump(which is just next to the showroom), for the beast's first-ever tankful. The beast gulped down roughly 60 liters of petrol, which indicated that the car already had around 20 liters of petrol in its tank. After filling, we then set for home, slowly and carefully.
The first drive was exciting and kinda nervous for me but after around 5kms into the drive, I got a sense of the vehicle dynamics and became more confident. It's just amazing how the car makes everything else on the road look so fragile and tiny. Post reaching home, a small puja was done and a Ganesha Idol was placed on the dashboard for his almighty blessings.
Today, I also received the CarLinkKitPlay AI Box. This will enable me to use Apple Carplay or Android Auto wirelessly and also has 4G sim support. Will post more updates as time progresses.
I will now stop boring everyone with my talks and let the pictures do the talking.
Picture taken during PDI:
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_7900.jpeg
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_7901.jpeg
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_7902.jpeg
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_7903.jpeg

Picture taken during delivery:
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_7939.jpeg

Pictures taken during a short temple visit drive:
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_7961.jpeg
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_7962.jpeg
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_7963.jpeg
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_7967.jpeg