Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2021, 13:22   #256
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

That this is the best "enthusiast car" in India is kind of laughable. And at that price. If you want a vehicle that is fast and handles well, motorcycles are your only option in this country.
karanddd is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 13:23   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review as usual!

Is it just me or did someone else adore that new LTD (drive) sticker which seamlessly merges with the colour of the car ?
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 18:56   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I spent a weekend with the Octavia!

Attachment 2167301
From this angle, if not for the Skoda badge, I would mistake it for BMW. Even the front and the rear to seems to take inspiration from BMW designs rather than any of the VAG group brands.
Old 18th June 2021, 01:10   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Badly missed the sunroof. Anyone who says a sunroof isn't fun in India doesn't know what he's talking about.
Agree with everything on GTO's post except the sunroof comment which is more tempered by Mumbai origin. Mumbai is more humid than hot , so AC can easily do a good job with sunroof or even the fabric cover open. Plus it cools down in the eve due to natural sea breeze. Contrast that with NCR where sunroof is supremely impractical - 47 Deg in summer and a glasshouse roof is recipe for being uncomfortable. And we don't end up opening the sunroof during cool winters too because of the smog

QED : Sunroof is not fun , but more show than go in places like NCR
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 01:29   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Have a feeling that after the Kushaq launch , Skoda will bring in the 1.5 TSI to the Octavia and add versions in the 20-25 L bracket (similar to 3rd gen 1.8 pricing). They have left themselves enough room to play here.
Good point! Although I don't think it'll be so soon but we might see this happening in the future sometime.

Till then, here's what Zac has to say!

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-screenshot_20210618011241__01.jpg

Also, a piece of bad news for all those TDI lovers

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-screenshot_20210618011458__01__01.jpg
sampadroy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 10:18   #261
Senior - BHPian

Did someone ask Zac about the omission of Sunroof and ventilated seats on Twitter? Considering that the car is primarily built for Europe where it can get gloomy, I guess it is hard to sell a car without sunroof.
Old 18th June 2021, 10:49   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampadroy View Post

Also, a piece of bad news for all those TDI lovers

Attachment 2168301
That's me who asked him about the TDI. No matter how much fun to drive the 2 litre TSI may be, it can not compete with the efficiency of the TDI. I drive around 1500-2000 kms in a month, so for me to consider 2 litre TSI is a big question mark. The only option I guess I am left with is to go for pre-owned cars.

Last edited by sagpatel : 18th June 2021 at 10:51.
sagpatel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 14:40   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampadroy View Post
"Powerful and efficient TSI engines"

Powerful TSI and being efficient does not go hand in hand
Someone please tell Mr. Hollis that 6-7 kmpl isn't efficient. It is genuinely a stupid decision to not have diesel engine right now.

2-3 years is a long time. When the new norms come in, sure it will get more expensive to have diesel engines but almost every other manufacturer has it.

Dieselgate pinch is hurting them hard in India (I guess).
DeepCarTalk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 15:03   #264
BHPian

Quote:
I spent a weekend with the Octavia!

Very, very IMPORTANT: Drop the tyre pressure to 32 PSI. Then, ride quality is very good & sorted. It is not too soft like my Superb, nor is it too stiff like a Tiguan. I'll say the suspension tune is just perfect for India. At 32 PSI, I absolutely loved the suspension and it even handles broken roads & potholes well. Owners will find the ride comfort to be very endearing. No Octavia owner should run the car on the stupidly high 38 / 39 PSI recommendation which led to some bounciness & firmness.

• I don't think the ground clearance is as bad as its 137 mm rating would suggest. I am currently revamping my driveways and I took it over 4 unfinished areas...she didn't scrape. Further, there is some road work going on around the 5 Gardens area. I purposely drove the car over the broken patches slowly, and then at speed. Didn't scrape. Of course, we were just two people onboard and I am sure the GC will be a limitation with 5 + luggage. But I don't think it'll be a deal breaker. My C220 had just 145 mm of clearance on paper, but the real world usability was more than that. I took the Benz all over Maharashtra without issue.
Every thing looks and sounds great about the new Octavia but for the 18 mm lower ground clearance as compared to the earlier model.

As someone who bought the 1.8 Tsi L&K in Jan. last year, I would say the biggest concern for me for the new model would be the low GC. Whatever said and done 137 mm is just too low for Indian road conditions & while driving these beautiful high performance cars, no sound is more awful than that of an underbelly scraping, especially of a new car. All the 3 luxury German trio have a higher GC for India, so I am really very surprised as to why Skoda didn't address this issue. I am just hoping the extended underbody protection is really robust in the new model, but still the scraping sound is awful always...

Last edited by Timothy : 18th June 2021 at 15:09.
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 21:14   #265

Hey folks,
Here's my predicament. I was waiting for the Octavia for more than a year but feel it's not a Vfm proposition anymore. So I have 2 choices

1. Choice A - I chanced upon a slightly used rs 230 2018 model (24k kms single owner) for about 24 lakhs. This is still under warranty

2. Choice B - stretch by 6 lakhs and get the style variant for 30 lakhs.

My question is the 6 lakh premium worth it? Test drove both and felt that the rs 230 beat the new Octavia hands down on driving pleasure. I personally like the older generation's design upfront more than the newer one and I'm not a fan of the beige interiors. So what do you guys recommend?

I ran a background check on the rs230 and it turns out to be super clean.
Old 19th June 2021, 21:14   #266
Senior - BHPian

I am curious how one can access the spare tyre valve to check air pressure - whether it requires the entire sub woofer unit to be removed and if it is doable without any tools
Old 19th June 2021, 21:31   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
I am curious how one can access the spare tyre valve to check air pressure - whether it requires the entire sub woofer unit to be removed and if it is doable without any tools
No tools at all. Turn the threaded clamp, unplug the single connector, remove the sub & flip the tyre over.

This sub is why the L&K has a 16" spare. The Style has a full size 17" one.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-164837.jpg  

itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 00:26   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun B View Post
Hey folks,
Here's my predicament. I was waiting for the Octavia for more than a year but feel it's not a Vfm proposition anymore. So I have 2 choices
Tough choice as for 6 lakhs you are getting a brand new car. But if in your place I would have gone for VRS, but only if I am confident on the condition of car
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 10:41   #269
BHPian

Given Octavia was meant to be the “enthusiast” car oriented towards self-driven enthusiasts: the lack of engagement on this thread is a clear sign that Skoda has shot their own foot with the really ambitious pricing.

Either discounts roll in by end of the year, or that’s another car which will be bought by the not-so-right customer group in low numbers. Alas! What have you done, Skoda?
Old 20th June 2021, 11:18   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun B View Post
So I have 2 choices

1. Choice A - I chanced upon a slightly used rs 230 2018 model (24k kms single owner) for about 24 lakhs. This is still under warranty

2. Choice B - stretch by 6 lakhs and get the style variant for 30 lakhs.
3. Possible Choice C : You may be able to get an uncleared stock of previous gen Octavia L&K with a huge discount.

Except from the infotainment screen which looks bit outdated, I don't see the new gen car significantly better in any other areas. (In fact it seem to have lost some of the traits and features)

Most Viewed