Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2022, 08:35   #526

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
With 7J in L&K rim suggested upsize is a perfect fit. To add to that i would suggest go for Michelin. Compared to stock good year even with lower side wall you will be able to negate some of the stiffness. One noob question, does lower side wall also result in lower GC?
Yes 225 seems like the obvious choice with 7j rims.
I think 205/55 and 225/50 will have the same sidewall length if I’m not wrong. 55 and 50 means sidewall length is 55% of 205 and 50% of 225 which both come to 112.5. Please correct me if I’m wrong about this.

Enquired at a local shop for options was offered Michelin and Yokohama.

How are the Michelin pilot sport 4 tyres ? Has anyone over here upgraded the stock tyres on the l&k model ?
faderifts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 10:19   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One noob question, does lower side wall also result in lower GC?
My understanding is as long as the diameter is unchanged a lower profile would not result in any change in the ground clearance
sunikkat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 11:02   #528
BHPian

Quote:
One noob question, does lower side wall also result in lower GC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
My understanding is as long as the diameter is unchanged a lower profile would not result in any change in the ground clearance
That's correct - as long as the dia remains the same, there is no change to the GC. Of course, the ride may be a little stiffer with lower side walls.
kedar_GT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 11:48   #529
BHPian

How does this upsizing impact the TPMS.
Old 31st January 2022, 11:53   #530
BHPian

I think there is confusion here. If the profile reduces, the diameter reduces and so will the ground clearance.
A broader width with the same profile will affect the steering weight and feel and thereby handling with better grip but fuel efficiency could come down marginally. If the sidewall is stiffer as in most cases of wider tyres, ride would be affected but gc would not be.
I hope I am understood.
Old 31st January 2022, 12:22   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Picked up the Skoda Umbrella from TAFE Access (which was not provided along with the essential kit at the time of delivery)
I had to ask for it and they provided it but just one for the drivers door
That's cool GeeTee TSI! - if you don't mind can you please post some night pics of the interiors (the dash, the front and the rear door panes, the roof section right above the touch screen)
Just wanted to get a feel of the ambient lighting inside the car.

Does the in built navigation work in the car? And does this display the key insights in the instrument cluster while the default maps are running?
Also - if you are running Gmaps via Car Play or Android auto, does this also show up in the instrument cluster? (just the brief directions)

Cheers!
Old 31st January 2022, 13:13   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faderifts View Post

How are the Michelin pilot sport 4 tyres ? Has anyone over here upgraded the stock tyres on the l&k model ?
I swapped my tyres on the Style variant with Michelin 215/55 R17 P4ST. The difference in the ride quality and NVH level was quite significant. I was told that even the low profile (50) PS4 offers better ride quality and handling when compared to the crappy stock Good Years. If you’re looking for better ride quality, I’d suggest you to go for P4ST.

You may also want to check with the dealer about suspension warranty after upsizing.

Last edited by akshay_b : 31st January 2022 at 13:16. Reason: Typo
Old 31st January 2022, 13:56   #533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza View Post
I think there is confusion here. If the profile reduces, the diameter reduces and so will the ground clearance.
A broader width with the same profile will affect the steering weight and feel and thereby handling with better grip but fuel efficiency could come down marginally. If the sidewall is stiffer as in most cases of wider tyres, ride would be affected but gc would not be.
I hope I am understood.
Doesn't both 205/55 r17 and 225/50 r17 have the same tyre diameter ?
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-tyrecomparision_1.jpg  

Old 31st January 2022, 17:37   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
I swapped my tyres on the Style variant with Michelin 215/55 R17 P4ST.

You may also want to check with the dealer about suspension warranty after upsizing.
Nice! What did your dealer have to say about it? Is the original tyre brand recorded by Skoda @ the time of sale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faderifts View Post
Doesn't both 205/55 r17 and 225/50 r17 have the same tyre diameter ?
It does.
kedar_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 18:28   #535
BHPian

Faderifts, you are right but the 225s should be compatible with the rim width.
Floyd de Souza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 19:22   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris007 View Post
I took a few test drives today to confirm whether the Octavia still made any sense.

First I started with the Jeep Compass Model S 4x4 Diesel Automatic
I don't think this is an apple to apple comparison just because both of them are in the same price segment. Comparing a 4*4 Diesel SUV vs an FWD Petrol Sedan?
It is a given that it's always the Sedan that wins hands down for the best roads (city roads)

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 31st January 2022 at 19:25.
Livnletcarsliv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 20:45   #537
BHPian

The Octavia is the last bastion of sedans in a sea of SUVs, CSUVs and raised hatches.

If you’re up for the sedan body, the Octavia is the right choice among the options you listed.

Boot space is also liberal compared to SUVs of similar price.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 12:35   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris007 View Post
I took a few test drives today to confirm whether the Octavia still made any sense.

2. Passable interiors: Compared to the previous generation this is definitely a huge step up but on closer inspection there are a lot of scratchy low quality plastics. I use a Hyundai Venue as my daily driver and I would honestly be hard pressed to tell you there is a significant difference between the two. No “wow” feeling at all
3. Flimsy doors: Even I could not believe this and I did not remember experiencing it on my first test drive. The doors did not close with the expected reassuring thuds (maybe my mind

Hi Solaris

I agree with the engine noise (love it even though I come from petrol cars) and car play getting disconnected (which is a minor issue I think), may I request you please kindly elaborate (be a bit more specific) on point 2 and 3.

1. Which interiors parts did you feel were cheap or just about ok? I want to understand this so that I can go back and check in my Compass?

2. About the doors flexing? I personally love the doors and the sound they make while closing. So which part of the door did you see flex?

Before you say I am a Compass owner and I am biased, I also drive an Octavia. While I feel the Octavia interiors are great, the new Compass is also right up there (personal opinion). I am genuinely intrigued to know more about these issues you mentioned.

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd February 2022 at 18:34. Reason: Quoted post is edited. Thanks.
Old 2nd February 2022, 20:03   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Hi Solaris

I agree with the engine noise (love it even though I come from petrol cars) and car play getting disconnected (which is a minor issue I think), may I request you please kindly elaborate (be a bit more specific) on point 2 and 3.

1. Which interiors parts did you feel were cheap or just about ok? I want to understand this so that I can go back and check in my Compass?

2. About the doors flexing? I personally love the doors and the sound they make while closing. So which part of the door did you see flex?
Just a short preamble before getting into the above points.

This was my 2nd visit to the Jeep Showroom - I went in expecting to be as impressed as I was during the 1st visit. The Compass to me was the best overall package in the 30-40L segment. While the test drive formalities were being completed I was looking at a red Model S 4x4 Diesel AT that was on display (test drive vehicle was the same variant in the new dark green colour). I noticed one of the rear doors (behind the driver) was not shut properly so I decided to close it. Thud…did not close. One more bigger thud…did not close. Another almighty thud…did not close. At that point I did not want to break the door so I asked a nearby SA about this and they confirmed that the door had some misalignment issues. I also noticed each time I tried to close the door that the middle to bottom part of the panel would flex a little but chalked this up to the aforementioned misalignment issues. However, this was at the back of my mind as the test drive started.

Now onto the main points:

1. Plastic Quality: The top half of the model S is beautifully done with soft touch material - absolutely no complaints there. It is when you go lower down in front and see the rear doors (apart from the handsets which are done in soft leather) where you can feel the scratchy hard plastic. One of the cars that I use is a Hyundai Venue. While the interiors are not opulent by any means - the quality of plastic used is decent. I would say the plastic quality is comparable between the two cars and that is the reason why I expected better for a 35+L car (3x the on road price). Also, taking inspiration from Carwow I tried to shake the centre console and it did move more than I expected it to.
2. Door Flex (Driver side): After noticing it on the display car I was more alert to this on the test drive vehicle. Add to this - I had also recently taken test drives of the new Tiguan and Kodiaq and so my mind was anchored to the thuds and door quality on those cars. This time I was left wanting - I mean sure the thuds are solid but fall short of the VW twins. The doors also experienced the same sort of flex as the display car and the sound just did not sit right with me - it was much meeker than I remembered (better than my Venue but not that much better). Now anyone could tell that the test drive car was abused (as most test drive vehicles are) but at the same time I did not expect such issues to crop up so soon.

The crux of the matter for me is - I am looking to upgrade my Venue and when I am splashing 35L+ it has to seem like a significant upgrade. If I were to summarise:

Sitting in a Compass was familiar - some aspects are straight up significant upgrades (sound system, virtual cockpit) while others (plastic quality) is an ok step up. Sitting in an Octavia was just jaw dropping. However, the Octavia will never be a “go-anywhere” or “abuse-friendly” type of car like the Compass - both attributes which are dearly sought after on Indian roads and conditions.
Old 5th February 2022, 20:08   #540
Senior - BHPian

Some examples of the boot space and its practicality, in regular use

Drive from Calicut back to Bangalore with the boot swallowing luggage as well as the haul of chips and other local produce for giveaway It felt like there was space for more, with luggage layered over each other
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-pxl_20220125_234308269.night2.jpg

More recently, I loaded my Riverside 500 into the boot. Hope to have my first ride outside the city limits
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-pxl_20220205_133910178.night.jpg

The whole contraption being below the boot load level (I checked it to be doubly sure), I could put the parcel shelf back and it clears the load (and also gives that bit of privacy). This angle is from the rear seat facing the boot
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-pxl_20220205_134127578.night.jpg
GeeTee TSI is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks