Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2021, 16:38   #121
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
While there is absolutely no comparison between the Elantra 2.0 petrol and Octavia's 2.0 TSI, the Octavia L&K is dearer by about 9L (ex showroom) than the Elantra! This will translate to 10-11 L difference in terms of OTR price. 29L ex showroom should translate to 34-35L OTR. A DIESEL Titanium Endeavour 4*2 AT is available at 30L ex showroom!

This is a serious price hike. I was betting on Octavia reversing the trend in favor of sedans, but it will instead pulverize the Octavia brand completely!
Exactly. The Elantra is nowhere close I felt, until today that I notice the omissions in the Octavia, the crazy price gap, and the fact that they have both grown out of the same segment, the availability of a Diesel and the VFM in the proposition could work in Hyundai's favour if put side by side with the Octavia
Arnav612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 16:40   #122
BHPian

I'll echo many others in this thread to say that is an excellent review with great images, as always. Full of details, loved reading it. Many of the posts in the thread are also super useful. So, big thanks to all.
I will soon (hopefully) be in the market for a sedan, and I couldn't agree more with the quote further below from @greenh0rn
The 3 series is a dream for me, but I do find the M sport variant to be expensive. I value the driveability, reliability and technology the 3 series brings, but it's a big hit financially. Thus, I am one of those also looking elsewhere to see if there are compromises that can be made, and save 20-25 big ones while at it. And the Octavia is definitely a valid proposition; undeniably VFM. I was looking forward to the release. Unfortunately, after the reviews, it doesn't get there, and I will (im)patiently continue aiming for the 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
I see a very common refrain that Octavia is priced too high, and will lose out as it is going to compete with SUVs and crossover in that and lower price segment.

My humble contention is that Octavia is 'primarily' going to compete with German/Swedish/Brit luxury brands, and will draw a buyer who wants the same levels of class, premiumness and safety of a C-Class/330i/S60 without spending 20-25 lakh more.

That's the kind of buyer Skoda is going after and will also attract.

Prices have increased across the board- you cannot buy 330i for less than 55 Lakh on the road, and other competitors will also comfortably reach 50L. What's a buyer eyeing a premium Euro-spec sedan but with only 25-30L budget got to do now? Skoda has answered this question with Octavia.
I couldn't agree more with @sandeepmohan and @itwasntme about the choice (or lack of) of beige suede interiors. I just don't see it as practical here, not for all.

And the way the car bounced around in the ACI review got me worried. I think the concrete road they were on was particularly terribly designed with all the undulations (and that's a problem with concreting roads, especially done at the state level as opposed to NHAI, in my opinion. Our own ORR here to speak of!), but it still looked too bouncy. I couldn't fully get a sense of NVH too as certain clips seemed rather noisy. But that could just be due to audio issues?
Further drawbacks for me would also be the low ground clearance (again, ACI video for reference, and there are worse roads, especially in the Ghats), and lack of physical AC knobs/buttons.
While I'm okay with the grille design, I too am not a fan of the steering. Doesn't sit well with me. Absolutely love the rear though.
Yet it is amazing how Skoda offers so many features and quality of material that are several segments above. And just for that, good luck Skoda!

Last edited by Gaboonviper04 : 10th June 2021 at 17:07. Reason: Adding one more point about GC
Old 10th June 2021, 16:54   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Great Review

Still the older version looks elegant.

Attachment 2165970

Image Courtesy : Team-bhp Official Reviews
Agree 100%. As an owner of the 3rd gen split headlight Octy, I think that grill is a huge letdown for the new version. It somehow gives the car a droopy face look, not a positive IMO.
king999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 16:56   #124
BHPian

Such a shame. I was really looking forward to purchasing an Octavia. Low ground clearance, poor ergonomics (not a big fan of touch controls) and no sun roof / cooled seats (my wife and kid loves them) were major hurdles but the pricing is the final nail in the coffin.

Back to Honda city now. Silver lining though, I’ll be saving some big bucks.
shibulijack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 16:57   #125
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Since we are discussing the alternates in the segment, let us not forget the Tucson as well. If you are willing to live with a 2015ish interior(with a standard panoramic sunroof ), you get a cracker of a package with a 2L diesel putting out 190 Horses and 400 NM of Torque.

Yes, the Octavia has its strengths, but the Tucson has its own advantages as well.
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 17:06   #126
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wow, Carwale says the on-road Mumbai price is 34.50 lakhs. My brother bought a Superb L&K for 33 lakhs just in January. Same engine, same gearbox, bigger size and yes, sunroof & ventilated seats too .

I knew Skoda is going for premium pricing because the company knows that it's going to sell the same ~200 units (give take), even if the price was 3 lakhs lower. Look at the Kodiaq - they overpriced that by 5 lakhs too. Skoda's premium cars are going to continue being focused on profits because of no direct competition, and the fact that all the cars above are even more overpriced. C-Class for 55 lakhs? LOL. It's stiff pricing, overpriced by 3 - 4 lakhs than it should be...but the Octavia will find its customers.

Personally, I'd compare the Octavia more to the C-Class than the Elantra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Zac Hollis about pricing of new Octavia
Clearly he's read our review and been influenced by the "20%" differential with the entry-level luxury cars . We said 80% one way, he said 20% another way.

Last edited by GTO : 10th June 2021 at 17:31.
GTO is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 17:20   #127
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post

Skoda Octavia Cons:

• Petrol revs to just ~6,000 rpm! That's too low for such a beautiful turbo-charged motor
Why is this a disadvantage? What's the great sanctity about "revvs"? Never understood the auto-enthusiasts' obsession with revving to 8000 or 10000 rpm. In what way does number of revvs anoint any kind of desirability or a high ground of moral superiority to an engine?

Last edited by vb-saan : 10th June 2021 at 19:08. Reason: Appreciate if you can proof-read before posting - especially on Capital letter usage wherever applicable.
venkyhere is offline   (15) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 10th June 2021, 17:29   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
High but not atrocious at all I feel. I bought my MY16 1.8 Style Plus (top variant then) in January 2016 for an ex-showroom of 20.15L.

Why is that?
++ Additional 2 years of standard warranty which was optional back then.

However, compared to your Style Plus variant, the current Style variant isn't equipped with sunroof and TPMS but then it makes up for the digital instrument cluster, bigger infotainment screen, bigger (slightly pricier) alloys, ambient lighting etc.
romil.shroff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 17:29   #129
Senior - BHPian

I am no longer considering the Octavia. It doesnt make sense to spend 36.4L onroad for the LnK for an Octavia - no way. No matter what Zac says, it will NEVER be a premium offering.
I came close to one in 2014 but chose to buy the Duster AWD and saved a few lakhs as well.
Now, I am perfectly OK to spend a few more lakhs and consider the A3 when its launched (or even A4 with yummy discounts)!

Last edited by Equus : 10th June 2021 at 17:59.
Equus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 17:37   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wow, Carwale says the on-road Mumbai price is 34.50 lakhs. My brother bought a Superb L&K for 33 lakhs just in January. Same engine, same gearbox, bigger size and yes, sunroof & ventilated seats too .
Same situation. Not waiting for Octavia and buying Superb in December with discounts and before the price hike seems like a great decision now.
Old 10th June 2021, 17:48   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

BLR price list attached:

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-octy.jpg

Even assuming you can knock off some of the insurance and charges, you're still looking at an easy 32L & 36L respectively
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OCTAVIA 10.06.2021.pdf (641.0 KB, 278 views)
itwasntme is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 17:55   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
BLR
Even assuming you can knock off some of the insurance and charges, you're still looking at an easy 32L & 36L respectively
I know you are grinning with that 330i . What an absolute value the 330i is! BMW badge, superior driving dynamics, and a stonker of an engine. All this for may be 8-10L more? At these prices of Octavia, Superb and 330i are easy picks. A4 is running discount and I would not be surprised if I get 4 rings for for another 5-6L more!
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 18:14   #133
Senior - BHPian

This could be a great time for Hyundai to launch the N Line version of the Elantra. 201 Hp and that 264 NM of torque would be a great contender. They could even price it at 5Lakhs premium to the regular Elantra and still undercut the Octavia by 6 odd lakhs!
07CR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 18:19   #134

Amazing review folks ! Totally worth the 5 star rating.

The car looks a bit plain Jane to me, and sunroof is a big miss in the segment. Indians love their sunroofs and the wow factor it brings to their cars.
Considering the expected price of 33 big ones OTR coupled with the lack of a Diesel engine, and a general inertia towards D segment Sedans prevailing in our domestic market, I don't expect the sales numbers to be very good.
Old 10th June 2021, 18:25   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
At these prices of Octavia, Superb and 330i are easy picks. A4 is running discount and I would not be surprised if I get 4 rings for for another 5-6L more!
Skoda will be joining the big 3 germans in the massive discount game. After all, Zac considers the marquee to be equal to the entry level luxury brands. Talk about aspirations
kvothe_rules is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks