Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2023, 23:34   #1396
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONG_TOURER View Post
Hello folks,

I want to know how you switch the car off ? Do you shift the gear into park(P), then engage the parking brake before killing the ignition??

I happen to switch the ignition directly while the car is at D. Doing this, the car automatically engage to P and parking brake gets engaged too.

Am i doing it right here ??
Yes, that the feature of electronic parking. A hugely time saving and worry-feee feature.
suvan1988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 00:14   #1397
BHPian

Quote:
Finally got the delivery of my white L&K on 23.02.2023, The car drives like a charm and those who feel the car return poor mileage, i managed to get 19kmpl+ in my 700 km trip. I feel very bad that it is being discontinued but equally happy to own one of my childhood fantasies.
Congratulations! Is it available for purchase right now? How much did it cost you, all inclusive? Did they offer significant discounts, given that it's being phased out?
aryayush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 09:49   #1398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello folks,

I want to know how you switch the car off ? Do you shift the gear into park(P), then engage the parking brake before killing the ignition??

I happen to switch the ignition directly while the car is at D. Doing this, the car automatically engage to P and parking brake gets engaged too.

Am i doing it right here ??
As per Skoda tutorial video on Octavia mark IV, you shift to 'P' and then switch off the engine.

What I do --- I keep the brakes pressed -> Shift to P -> Release brakes -> Idle for 20-30 secs -> Switch off engine

Last edited by neoonwheels : 1st March 2023 at 09:50.
neoonwheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 10:21   #1399
BHPian

Quote:
Finally got the delivery of my white L&K on 23.02.2023, The car drives like a charm and those who feel the car return poor mileage, i managed to get 19kmpl+ in my 700 km trip. I feel very bad that it is being discontinued but equally happy to own one of my childhood fantasies.

A detailed review is coming soon !!
Heartiest Congratulations and welcome to the club Wishing you magical moments and miles with this beauty of machine
Travelfarbeyond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 21:15   #1400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
As per Skoda tutorial video on Octavia mark IV, you shift to 'P' and then switch off the engine.

What I do --- I keep the brakes pressed -> Shift to P -> Release brakes -> Idle for 20-30 secs -> Switch off engine
Yes, I click on P, wow that sounds so Hi-tech isn't it, it's a click and not slot

And then ignition off, and lift the Hand brakes as well.

If you don't click on P and leave the car, I have seen it doesn't lock and gives a warning
Old 1st March 2023, 21:52   #1401
BHPian

Quote:

A detailed review is coming soon !!
Congratulations mate!

Question for existing Octavia owners: In my MY22 Octavia, the area between the 2 dials is reserved for speed display, and all the other information such as trip distance, time, average speed etc is shown inside the dials. Is there a way we can switch to this view?
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-screenshot-20230301-9.55.12-pm.png  

Last edited by akshay_b : 1st March 2023 at 21:56.
akshay_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 22:58   #1402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Congratulations mate!

Question for existing Octavia owners: In my MY22 Octavia, the area between the 2 dials is reserved for speed display, and all the other information such as trip distance, time, average speed etc is shown inside the dials. Is there a way we can switch to this view?
I had exact same thought when I saw the pic. The speed display in my 22 car never showed anything than speed. May be a firmware update is available for us to get this
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 17:54   #1403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Congratulations mate!
Is there a way we can switch to this view?
Thanks mate!!

Try puting the vehicle on cruise mode using left hand side stalk. The speedo may appear.

Last edited by LONG_TOURER : 2nd March 2023 at 17:54. Reason: Spelling
Old 4th March 2023, 15:06   #1404

Long term ownership review of the Octavia 2.0 L&K

It’s been a year and I am back to this thread to share my long term experience with my 2022 Octavia L&K.

What has one year been like?
Nothing short of amazing. I’ve done 12,600 on the ODO and most of them if not all are highway mile munching between Bangalore - Chennai and Bangalore - Goa. I have had a couple of snags with the infotainment system’s electronics but otherwise the car has been brilliant every single day.

The good:
- Absolutely reliable engine
- Power, available and ready to go - always
- Comfortable ride
- Spacious cabin and boot (oh and how!)
- Stunning looks - will take years to look out of date
- Park assist is a Godsend at tight spots
- Interior & exterior build quality
- Powerful headlights to light up the whole horizon
The bad:
- Electronics - the infotainment system needs 24/7 customer helpline
- Tires - poor stock tires
- Non lockable glove compartment
- The MyConnect app - basic, nothing more

Let me try highlighting some of the above in a detailed manner with a short ownership review.

Maintenance in a year?
None. I have not had to step into the service station a single time in the whole year, and directly took her to the 1st service last week. I had no complaints and the service took a day to complete and I got the car back by end of day. Kudos to the Skoda service team for the swift turnaround time.

After 1st service:
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-b1f493cea9054dbcb5271ba7310ea85c.jpeg

Note: I did not have any complaints on the car and this was just a regular service with engine oil change etc. Hence, the cost was just around INR 10K. Sounds cheap but that is because the car had absolutely no other work to be done/rectified.

The time we had to change tires
The one time that the OEM’s cost cutting came into the picture was when we had a flat on the way from Goa to Bangalore. There was just one pothole, and the car was not even in triple digit speeds, but the front right took the hit and the tire ripped off. Had to swap on the spare (that was practically a joke) and head 50Kms off my route to get the tire changed. As expected, the stock tires of 205/55/17 were nowhere to be found - even when I checked with a few dealerships in Bangalore who said it will take a week to get that size arranged.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-1ab42189d4dd45cbb429f70dbe61af6d.jpeg

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-0f9a3b0656ba49279f56ecf26fec2363.jpeg

Eventually, I had to upsize all 4 tires to 215/55/17 and this time went with Bridgestone Turanza tires (the ones I had on my Jeep Compass earlier), and that was instantly felt in the change in the car’s performance and comfort.

Weird electronics
If I had to complain, it would definitely be the weird electronics issues in the car and it’s infotainment system. I noticed it a few months after purchase and here’s what happens - start the car directly by pressing down the brake and press the start/stop switch to turn on the engines, you hear a minor pop sound of wires short circuiting, and voila, none of the speakers work anymore. Not even the beep that should work when you slot the car in reverse gear. The workaround after checking in many threads online, and finally a TeamBHPian helped with a solution - turn on the battery first, give it a couple of seconds before you turn on the engine - this is the only way I see this being fixed. Checked with the Škoda service and they were unable to debug the issue as well.
Apart from that, the wireless Apple CarPlay is also wonky at times. Even within city traffic commutes, the AirPlay suddenly conks off and stops working for no reason. There is no way to get it back to working again unless I turn off the Bluetooth on the iPhone and reconnect again all over. This is a weird issue and something I would not expect happening in a INR 2.6Mn worth car.

Discovering the car even after 8 months
This was pleasantly surprising, where I was discovering features on the car even after months of ownership. I did not know that the memory seat setting also include the side mirrors, and the Canton sound system has a “surround” sound feature that has to be turned on to get the maximum output from the speaker system.
I also did not know that the car will auto-unlock when you walk towards the car with the keys on you - keyless entry, yes, but I was unaware until recently. I guess it has to do with the direction you walk towards the car, where if it is on a straight line form the front or the back, it works like a charm.

A true mile muncher
In all my highway runs with the Octavia, I have not once had fatigue even after 11 hours of non-stop driving, albeit with a few stops for refreshments. I’ve done Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore for two weekends back to back, and a trip from Bangalore to Cochin is a breeze on the Octavia. The stability at high speeds and the effortless drive at cruising speeds of 120-140kmph feels like nothing, even fully laden.

Some pictures on the road:
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-caefd91c533a4f4187b510e2212d579a.jpeg
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-e2584929aab0477aba380b3da83c9349.jpeg
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-639202981f0c4c38bde286736fed12fb.jpeg

My dogs LOVE the car (this was when the car was stationary only):
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-21cde1035fe9453187208c84de19ece7.jpeg

And how can I not mention - the boot space - this one truly is something I can never understand. I’ve been manage to get the boot fully loaded to the brim with luggage for 5 people and 2 dogs, and even then the boot seems to want more. Better yet, the car does not bottom out when fully loaded as well, and does highway cruises like it’s a normal day at the office.
You would barely need to use the “S” mode in the gearbox and the paddle shifters. I at least never needed them and had to consciously choose to use them because “they are there”. The Drive mode on the gearbox is as enthusiastic as it could get where all you need to do is floor the pedal and the car does the rest for you.

One of the most underrated features on this car is the headlights. It literally manages to light up the entire horizon when you are out on the highways at night, and it makes you spoilt beyond choice after that. Stepping into another car which does not have anything like this is a step down after you’ve experienced this.

Mileage? What?
For everyone who says this car is not meant for mileage, you get 16km/l on the highways with a constant 9km/l in city traffic - in Bangalore that too. For a 2.0L turbo charged 190bhp engine that does 0-100kmph in under 8.0s, this mileage is all we can hope for and should be happy with this. I’ve grown the habit of simply topping up the fuel tank each time, and always be ready for a long drive with this one.

She gives a whopping 16kmpl when pushed the right way:
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-7c2a91948c864473bf50de1b3d419aef.jpeg

Maintaining the paint
I’d done ceramic coating on the car the day I took it out of the showroom, and all I have needed since then is one water wash per month and a regular dusting exercise with the Jopasu each time we go out for a spin. That’s all we need and like we always say, the paint is made to withstand dust and dirt for a while and performs better instead of repeated water/chemical washes.

Other random shots when I was gawking at the sheer beauty of German engineering:
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-073a3977dc9042e28160dff6f163026a.jpeg
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-6503a8c8e82b4a73982c7430b9ee1067.jpeg
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-2fbf2a51369f499e85d4ca0b98acc8e7.jpeg

This has been my experience with the Škoda Octavia, and I must say - “This car makes me smile even today, like she did on day 1 when I took her home. She’s a keeper for sure”.

I hope other owners also share similar experience, good and bad. Would love to hear about those here.
Happy driving
aashiqb is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 18:13   #1405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah45 View Post
Hi,
I tried to enable Full screen maps, but unfortunately unable to get it.
My phone is running on Android 13.
I have attached pictures of the same.
Have tried to get into the Menu and select or double click on Maps but it still appears only 3/4th of the screen.
Have figured it out myself after Googling a bit.
In your phone, choose 'Street view' in GMaps (of course when not connected to the car thru Android Auto)

Next time you connect to the car, you get to see a different look and feel, and now if you touch on Maps icon on the Infotainment, it gets you to full screen Maps.

Hope this is helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-img_20230304_181112.jpg  

mah45 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 22:32   #1406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashiqb View Post

Eventually, I had to upsize all 4 tires to 215/55/17 and this time went with Bridgestone Turanza tires (the ones I had on my Jeep Compass earlier), and that was instantly felt in the change in the car’s performance and comfort.

I am also in the same boat of changing my tyres to 215/55/R17 after front left tyre got damaged just 2 days into my Octavia ownership. The goodyear assurance are just plain useless. However, i have got few questions for you.

1) How is the ride after upsizing the tyre ??
2) Has it become stiffer than before ?
3) How much tyre pressure do you maintain with this size ?
4) Does it touches any part of the wheel arch while taking a turn or going over bad roads ?
5) Do you happen to see a drop in mileage ??

I am planning to change the tyres to Continental once i recieve the feedback from you
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-img20230226wa0004.jpg  

Old 5th March 2023, 06:32   #1407
BHPian

Quote:
I am also in the same boat of changing my tyres to 215/55/R17 after front left tyre got damaged just 2 days into my Octavia ownership. The goodyear assurance are just plain useless. However, i have got few questions for you.

4) Does it touches any part of the wheel arch while taking a turn or going over bad roads ?

I am planning to change the tyres to Continental once i recieve the feedback from you
This is another topic that keeps bothering me whenever we plan a long trip.
I have seen recommendations from fellow Bhp-ians to change the stock tyres ever since we bought the Octavia.

Any experiences from other Octy owners who have been using the stock tyres for long would help, Thanks.
Old 5th March 2023, 07:10   #1408

Quote:

I’d say go for it.
  1. The ride is noticeably different but only if you look for it.
  2. Stiffer? No not really, once you balance it with the right tire pressure.
  3. I maintain 33psi on all four tires - gives a much better ride. I go 34psi when needed in case of long drives or more luggage.
  4. Nope. I was worried about the same as well but the bigger size does not affect the wheel well at all.
  5. Yes. There has been a 1kmpl drop in the mileage that I could immediately notice.

Funnily, even the speedometer reading is off by 1-2kmph due to larger tire diameter now. The speed cameras on the highways read lesser than what my car speedo shows
Old 5th March 2023, 07:19   #1409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Attachment 2420479
10000 Smiles
[[/b][/i]
That's an amazing navigation display. I'm leaning towards an Octavia for my next purchase. I can see there's plenty to love.
Wishing you many more happy miles!
Auto_guy_101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 17:17   #1410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah45 View Post
Have figured it out myself after Googling a bit.
In your phone, choose 'Street view' in GMaps (of course when not connected to the car thru Android Auto).
The difference I could see before GMaps full screen and now is the icon circled in the pic below. This icon was not there before I updated the Android Auto. I doubt I have street view enabled in maps for it to go full screen.

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-gmpafs.png
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed