Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2021, 10:46   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
@greenh0rn: Totally agree. There is a niche clientele here who don't want the Big 3/4, but have been waiting for a 'VFM' Euro sedan like the Octavia.
But the biggest problem here is Superb. Octavia seem to have lost the sportiness which I considered an advantage. At speculated pricing, Sportline is just 2L more than L&K and Allspace 4L more, before discounts. Style variant might be easier to convince but L&K at 30L is hard to sell especially when the same showroom has Superb.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 11:03   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
But the biggest problem here is Superb. Octavia seem to have lost the sportiness which I considered an advantage. At speculated pricing, Sportline is just 2L more than L&K and Allspace 4L more, before discounts. Style variant might be easier to convince but L&K at 30L is hard to sell especially when the same showroom has Superb.
@PrideRed: good point but my thinking as follows:

1. The Superb is just a tad too big (both in reality and perception):
This stands good for self-drive and even chauffeur-driven. For example, in BLR I've noticed chauffeurs of D2 vehicles (both sedans and SUVs) double-parked illegally because their vehicles are either incapable of being parked in on-street parking slots or even in some MLCPs. As a real-life example, I detest having to park in the 1MG Mall in BLR, because the slots are uncomfortably narrow and short for both my Octavia and 330i. I once observed a lengthy A6 which had got totally stuck, and actually had to be pushed sideways by 5/6 hefty people.

2. Octavia is a new platform while Superb will get phased out in ~2023.

3. The Octavia needs an immediate upgrade to 225/50/17s which I feel will correct a lot of the floatiness and sway. However, this remains to be proven under Indian conditions.

Last edited by itwasntme : 10th June 2021 at 11:16.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 11:26   #78
BHPian

Can the OPs or others who have experienced the car in person shed a bit more light on the 'suede' like seats? They sound like a dust and stain magnet and could be a nightmare to maintain.
Old 10th June 2021, 11:52   #79
BHPian

Excellent review guys. Sadly, Skoda seems insistent on making the cars feel cheaper and cheaper with each passing generation. I just can't get behind it. Great drivetrain, oodles of features, pretty much all you could want in a daily driver, but, it now feels like a polo compared to my Laura. Don't think this is something that can replace my Jetta as a daily driver.
Old 10th June 2021, 12:28   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
@PrideRed: good point but my thinking as follows:

1. The Superb is just a tad too big (both in reality and perception):
This stands good for self-drive and even chauffeur-driven. For example, in BLR I've noticed chauffeurs of D2 vehicles (both sedans and SUVs) double-parked illegally because their vehicles are either incapable of being parked in on-street parking slots or even in some MLCPs. As a real-life example, I detest having to park in the 1MG Mall in BLR, because the slots are uncomfortably narrow and short for both my Octavia and 330i. I once observed a lengthy A6 which had got totally stuck, and actually had to be pushed sideways by 5/6 hefty people.

2. Octavia is a new platform while Superb will get phased out in ~2023.
So are we potentially looking at a scenario where Skoda has the Octavia and Superb at similar price points with the Octavia targeted at the self driven owner and Superb at the chauffered owner?

I wonder whether this is going to make sense. A long wheelbase option of the same model maybe but this seems a bit out of the box.

Like the Superb I think we may have a Sportline version of the Octavia launched below the Style or between Style and L&K at a later point of time.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 12:31   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulcrum29 View Post
I think your pricing is a little too optimistic. Octavia launching at these prices would be a dream come true.
Oops! I did not realise the numbers that I mentioned. The revised number expectation is - 22-23 ex for Style and 26-27 lakhs ex for the L&K.
Old 10th June 2021, 13:13   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
I see a very common refrain that Octavia is priced too high, and will lose out as it is going to compete with SUVs and crossover in that and lower price segment.

My humble contention is that Octavia is 'primarily' going to compete with German/Swedish/Brit luxury brands, and will draw a buyer who wants the same levels of class, premiumness and safety of a C-Class/330i/S60 without spending 20-25 lakh more.

That's the kind of buyer Skoda is going after and will also attract.
Agreed on your reasoning. But is this the primary target clientele for Octavia? With all due respect, even from a manufacturer's selling pitch, is Octavia trying to portray itself as a cheap alternative to the big 3? Wouldn't that make Octavia trying to be a niche player within an extremely niche segment?

Just go through all the reviews on youtube and see all reviewers rambling thru a common tagline- You don't need a SUV and if you fold the seats, you get a boot that even the big brawny SUVs can't provide.

Let's hypothetically assume that Civic was present in today's world in India. Would we be saying that Skoda is not competing with Civic and is actually targeting the folks who want to spend 20 lacs lesser than a Merc?

In isolation, a higher price point doesn't pinch but when comparison starts, the context changes. While your reasons are absolutely sound when you are comparing Octavia with the big 3 from a price perspective, the same car's comparison gets skewed to the other direction when it gets compared to the other cars present in the same price segments.
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 13:37   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
Agreed on your reasoning. But is this the primary target clientele for Octavia? With all due respect, even from a manufacturer's selling pitch, is Octavia trying to portray itself as a cheap alternative to the big 3? Wouldn't that make Octavia trying to be a niche player within an extremely niche segment?

Just go through all the reviews on Youtube and see all reviewers rambling thru a common tagline- You don't need a SUV and if you fold the seats, you get a boot that even the big brawny SUVs can't provide.

Let's hypothetically assume that Civic was present in today's world in India. Would we be saying that Skoda is not competing with Civic and is actually targeting the folks who want to spend 20 lacs lesser than a Merc?

In isolation, a higher price point doesn't pinch but when comparison starts, the context changes. While your reasons are absolutely sound when you are comparing Octavia with the big 3 from a price perspective, the same car's comparison gets skewed to the other direction when it gets compared to the other cars present in the same price segments.
Your last point is exactly what I meant - Octavia literally has no comparison in its category for a potential buyer of a premium Euro-spec D1 sedan. The nearest comparative car is either Superb, which is larger, or compact executives from the Big Three at north of 50 Lakh. I am not even counting Elantra here - those who have tested or tasted the premium Europeans will always find some issue or the other with Japanese or Koreans.

And let's be clear, someone who wants and desires an SUV or crossover will not be swayed by the reviews, as there are plenty of options in those categories. (the sales numbers suggest that majority of Indians fall in this category). However, those in two minds or who have a soft spot for a sedan, plus are driving enthusiasts - they might be converted (by the reviews or by a test drive).

My best friend has a Tiguan diesel and he tried his best to convince me to buy Karoq or T-Roc...but I only wanted a sporty sedan after my Polo GT and was actually considering 330i or a pre-owned F30. But then the RS245 happened

Last edited by greenh0rn : 10th June 2021 at 13:54. Reason: fixed typos+gaps in reasoning
greenh0rn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 13:56   #84
BHPian

Very detailed review. I am surprised to see many YouTube reviewer not happy with the handling part due to comfort oriented soft suspension and I see many were quite disappointed. However I don't see any complaints from Teambhp review.

I just hope they launch all black interior with blacked grille surround aka sportline asap. Beige & too much chrome is not upto my liking.

Last edited by Kashi053 : 10th June 2021 at 13:58. Reason: Spell
Old 10th June 2021, 13:57   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
Your last point is exactly what I meant - Octavia literally has no comparison in its category for a potential buyer of a premium Euro-spec sedan.
Congrats on RS. Both of us are saying the same thing about Octavia ending up as very niche.

Unfortunately, the distance between being niche to getting extinct isn't too much for the sedans today. And being priced too high for whatever reasons may just fasten this process. The car has to make its place to sell in the market. I rest my case and looking forward to your experiences with the raw RS.
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 14:11   #86
BHPian

Wasn't the pricing supposed to be announced today? Is there a live stream happening?
Old 10th June 2021, 14:39   #87
BHPian

In case the Skoda team is looking for inputs on prices in this forum, I would strongly suggest pricing the style version at 21 L ex-showroom and L&K at 23 L ex-showroom
Anything more and they will leave buyers in no man's land - Folks will most likely end up saving a few bucks by buying Jeep / Tuscon or spending a few more and buying Superb.
Old 10th June 2021, 14:40   #88
AZT
BHPian

Those rims look good, only grouse someone can have is no ventilated seats and sunroof. Octavia is also a brand building exercise for Skoda, anyone buying a Rapid or Kushaq will like to see Octy as a part of the same brand.

They should be fine selling in low hundreds per month.

Live update blog for price reveal - https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...eries/2268606/

Last edited by AZT : 10th June 2021 at 14:48.
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 14:51   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotek View Post
Wasn't the pricing supposed to be announced today? Is there a live stream happening?
The prices would be announced at 3.00 PM today. The company chose to not conduct a virtual press conference this time for the price announcement and instead, the figures will be revealed through a press release that would be received shortly.
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 14:53   #90
BHPian

Fantastic review, guys ! Nailed in explaining every aspect flawlessly.

Although, my two cents about the Octavia:
Prices in expectation might be a little exorbitant, but I feel prices have increased throughout.
The entry level luxury sedans still share the same price gap with the Octavia as much as it has been over the years. The real ones to beat though are the SUVs. Skoda's Karoq itself might become a threat to the Octavia. The bling driven lay man market would scoff upon the feature omissions and would easily resort to saving a few lakhs and also getting an SUV from the same brand.

Design wise, I still think the 2013 car looked much more stately. The rims just don't work on a Skoda, they belong well in the aftermarket. Else, what's left, it's a scaled down Superb from the rear. The front however does look nice, and maybe a few nips and tucks would solve most issues like the photo of the Wagon shared above.

I personally have mixed impressions of how this car will fare. Lesser because of what the car in its individuality is, but more because of the price bracket it's triggering.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks