Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2021, 15:57   #106
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
Crazily premium pricing but along the expected lines I presume. Skoda doesn't have any incentive to price it aggressively as there is hardly any demand or competition. What it does pave way for is probably a better priced 1.5 at a later stage.
What I feel Skoda/VW are still trying to make a mark(firm their feet) in the Indian automobile industry, and it is always better to sell more number of cars at less premium as far as brand image is concerned rather than selling less cars at a high premium, more cars on the roads means more number of people will turn to the showroom.
Old 10th June 2021, 15:59   #107
Senior - BHPian

Zac Hollis about pricing of new Octavia

Quote:
With exchange rates, taxes and shipping we have still been able to keep the car 20% below entry level premium offerings in India.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-smartselect_20210610155803_twitter.jpg

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-smartselect_20210610155818_twitter.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 10th June 2021 at 16:01.
Venkatesh is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 15:59   #108

Very good points indeed. However I still feel at almost 32 Lac on road in most metros, it is an expensive proposition. Unfortunately once the novelty wears off, most folks would rush back to buy SUV's. Also, though the interiors feel modern, they definitely do not feel plush like the Current Gen or even the Laura which I own. Its a shame that for 30 big ones all you get in that segment is the choice of 1 Car. Unless there are decent discounts, I shall not be replacing my Laura with this.
Old 10th June 2021, 15:59   #109
Senior - BHPian

2021 Skoda Octavia launched at Rs. 25.99 lakh

Skoda has launched the fourth generation Octavia in India. The car is available in two variants - Style and Laurin & Klement, at a price of Rs. 25.99 lakh and Rs. 28.99 lakh (ex-showroom) respectively.

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-2021skodaoctavia08.jpg

The fourth-gen Octavia is based on the MQB EVO platform and has a slightly longer wheelbase compared to the outgoing model. It measures 4,689 mm in length, 1,829 mm in width, 1,469 mm in height and its wheelbase is 2,680 mm. The car retains its notchback design and offers 600 litres of luggage space which can be increased to 1,555 litres by folding the rear seats.

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-2021skodaoctavia09.jpg

Exterior:

At the front, you get the familiar Skoda grille with slim LED headlamps and a set of LED fog lamps. It also gets striking LED tail lights and the L&K variant comes with rather unique looking, 17-inch Pulsar Black alloy wheels.

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-2021skodaoctavia07.jpg

Interior:

The Octavia comes with a very contemporary looking dual-tone interior. It features a 2-spoke steering wheel and a digital instrument cluster, while the centre console houses a 10-inch touchscreen infotainment system with SmartLink.

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-2021skodaoctavia01.jpg

Other features offered in the new Octavia include:
  • 2-zone automatic climate control
  • Wireless charging
  • Cruise Control
  • Hands-free parking
  • Paddle shifters
  • 12-way electrically adjustable front seats with lumbar support and memory function
  • Rear view camera

Engine specifications:

The new Octavia is being offered with a single engine option. The 2.0-litre turbo-petrol unit makes 187 BHP @ 4,180-6,000 rpm and 320 Nm @ 1,500-3,990 rpm. It is mated to a 7-speed DSG automatic gearbox. The engine has an ARAI rated fuel efficiency of 15.81 km/l.

2021 Octavia safety features:

• ABS with EBD and brake assist
  • Electronic Stability Control
  • Multi Collision Brake
  • Hill Hold Control
  • Anti Slip Regulation (ASR)
  • Electronic Differential Lock
  • Tyre Pressure Monitoring

The Octavia comes in five exterior colour options - Magic Black, Lava Blue, Candy White, Brilliant Silver and Maple Brown.
TusharK is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 16:12   #110
BHPian

The numbers (even though slightly on the higher side) are not a big surprise given the pricing strategy of the VAG group's records in the past.

The strong impact factor is the miss of a "diesel powertrain" at this price. Anyway, I am sure Octavia will continue to be a niche product serving the specific fan base as is with the other models of the brand and the group itself (In India).
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 16:15   #111
BHPian

Superb sold more than 200/month in Jan-Mar 2021. Looks like Skoda has the brand image in India to sell 30+ lakh cars. So if the goal is to sell couple hundred a month, the Octavia should pull it off.

I think the price shock is mostly due to the name plate. This car is more like a shorter Superb than a traditional Octavia in character, feel and price.

Last edited by NT56 : 10th June 2021 at 16:16.
NT56 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 16:17   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

Attachment 2166235

Attachment 2166236

Link
Is that what they're targeting? I then hate to break it to them that the Superb is still alive for that. They need to focus on letting the car fit in its own segment and take on the SUVs. Looks like the portfolio for Skoda is something else altogether, and this doesn't work over the brand value of an Audi, Mercedes or BMW here in the masses. Aiming at the entry level premium segment directly doesn't sound a wise strategy to me.
Arnav612 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 16:19   #113
BHPian

Sarcasm Alert!!!
I thought Only Citroen was playing this game, but it seems Skoda and hopefully soon VW (with Tiguan 5 seater) would also be joining them.

"They are all trying their hard to prove that Jeep Compass at 34.5L-35L on road is much better value for money product, and we should all rush to go and buy that. Their own products are only meant for the so called enthusiasts market whom we can sell at any price point " (With due respect to VW and Skoda customers, I used to be one of you and love their products too and in market for one)

I just don't understand this entire pricing game by these manufacturers, won't it help if they actually offer a product at competitive price, build the product demand, hype, and then demand a premium. They all want to increase their market share, but other than 1 product from each VW and Kushaq (I still feel it's a segment lower product to be offered at Creta and Seltos segment), they really have no intentions to do a mass demand product. All the talk about increasing market share sound more like a lip service. Hope, I am proved wrong.

Add to this, it's painful to see Zac trying to justify the pricing. In this SUV crazy market, you just managed to put a bullet in an otherwise worthy product.
cloudno19 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 16:20   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
While there is absolutely no comparison between the Elantra 2.0 petrol and Octavia's 2.0 TSI, the Octavia L&K is dearer by about 9L (ex showroom) than the Elantra! This will translate to 10-11 L difference in terms of OTR price. 29L ex showroom should translate to 34-35L OTR. A DIESEL Titanium Endeavour 4*2 AT is available at 30L ex showroom!

This is a serious price hike. I was betting on Octavia reversing the trend in favor of sedans, but it will instead pulverize the Octavia brand completely!
I was absolutely convinced about replacing my Jetta with the new Octavia but with this pricing, they have brought the Elantra firmly into my consideration set. With my driving style i will never use the full potential of the 190hp motor and will be more than happy with the 150 on offer on the Elantra, which is still better than what my Jetta offers me. Add in the close to 7 lakhs saving between the Octavia Style vs top end Elantra, plus ventilated seats, not having to worry about the suede seats, the presence of old fashioned buttons to control the AC and i am being nudged towards seriously considering the Elantra now. The Octavia test drive will be under serious pressure to impress me and convince me to plop down those extra big bucks.
RoadTrippin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 16:21   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
Crazily premium pricing but along the expected lines I presume. Skoda doesn't have any incentive to price it aggressively as there is hardly any demand or competition. What it does pave way for is probably a better priced 1.5 at a later stage.
I think 1.5 L engine will not come in Octavia considering Skoda plans to use it as one of the powertrain in the new sedan positioned above Rapid to cover the 11-20 Lakhs price range.
May be a MT version of 2.0 L engine in Octavia could come at a lower price point to cover the 20 to 25 lakh price bracket.
CafeRacer16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 16:22   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
While there is absolutely no comparison between the Elantra 2.0 petrol and Octavia's 2.0 TSI, the Octavia L&K is dearer by about 9L (ex showroom) than the Elantra! This will translate to 10-11 L difference in terms of OTR price.

This is a serious price hike. I was betting on Octavia reversing the trend in favor of sedans, but it will instead pulverize the Octavia brand completely!
I fear the same fate for Octavia as that was of Civic. No diesel powertrain, removal of Ventilated Seats and Sunroof !

Mr Zac Hollis and team - what have you been smoking ! If Octavia RS sold at 27L after the discounts - why do you think that the Lnk would sell in large numbers at 29L !!

Especially given the effect of second wave and its impact of our economy, I doubt the Octy will sell involumes.

But as interestingly pointed out by one of the BHPian, this could be a strategy to make Kushaq look very cheap at 10.5-11 L starting price. With a premium of 9L over Elantra from same segment, it helps Skoda position Kushaq at a premium as well.

Last edited by rahulvv : 10th June 2021 at 16:29.
rahulvv is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 16:26   #117
Senior - BHPian

Guys, come on. Just look at this picture:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...aoctavia07.jpg

This will be extinct commodity in a few years and given how every other manufacturer is increasing prices, I will be happy to own one of these for 25.99L. GTO is right. This car punches above its weight and gives a lot of value when compared to entry level German sedans. And there is no car like this under 30L. Remember the times from the Merc C/3 series/A4 used to retail in the sub-30 or for that matter sub-40 range? Those days are gone and so will be these.

Bottom line: People who have actually lived with (and driven) the recent gen Octavia will compare it to the 3 and C whereas, those who have not, will compare it to the Elantras and Seltos'. For the latter, I would suggest, take some time out and take a nice long test drive with a clear mind. Just my tuppence.

Last edited by Pancham : 10th June 2021 at 16:44.
Pancham is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 16:27   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

Link
I was at 3M car care center, met a gentleman, we discussed about cars and i came to know he is looking to buy a SUV in 45-50 lakh range, we discussed about Kodiaq(as i suggested him to have a look at Kodiaq), he said he very much liked the car and is looking forward to it.

Fast-forward couple of months, luckily i met the same gentleman at the same 3M car care centre, and he was with his brand new BMW X3 SUV, he stretched his budget and went for it, when we discussed he told me many reasons like brand image value for money etc. etc.

So, i think there are brands which cater to specific segment of price range.

Skoda should focus on 5% market share which they want to achieve, and definitely such pricing strategy wont work for them to achieve the same.
Old 10th June 2021, 16:34   #119
BHPian

Looks okayish in terms of pricing, the style variant undercuts the L&K of the Superb by about 10 Lacs, which isn't too bad frankly. I didn't mention the Sportline superb because the interiors don't appeal to me at all.
Frankly I was in the mood to upgrade from my civic and I was hoping the Octavia would be more like 25 Lacs on road. Given how these products are discounted and Skoda's schemes I'm hoping that at the end of the year the ex showroom price of the Style variant ends up as its on road price and that would be a real sweet spot.
armaan_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 16:35   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnav612 View Post
Is that what they're targeting? I then hate to break it to them that the Superb is still alive for that. They need to focus on letting the car fit in its own segment and take on the SUVs. Looks like the portfolio for Skoda is something else altogether, and this doesn't work over the brand value of an Audi, Mercedes or BMW here in the masses. Aiming at the entry level premium segment directly doesn't sound a wise strategy to me.
Exactly, even the same points i discussed with one of my friend looking forward for pricing of Octavia, i told him that hey must have launched it with a different name, anything like new-Laura/Slavia/Audi-Copy etc., and could have left the OCTAVIA for the petrol-heads and enthusiast with a better pricing and more variants.
any23 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed