Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2022, 15:01   #406

Re: Hyundai Alcazar Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
@unniaan - Can you please explain how you started the active DPF regeneration? I do not see the DPF option on the screen. Will this only turn up if the soot is above a certain %? Did you visit the service center to get anything checked?
We started the regeneration from the "diesel filter regeneration required" warning screen. There was an option showing longpress ok to begin regeneration. Have not seen an option otherwise for regeneration on the cluster. I didn't visit the service center for the issue. When I talked to them, they told there's no need to visit after successful regeneration. I am anyway planning to visit the service center next week as the fuel efficiency seems to have taken a significant hit after the issue. Also engine seems a bit loud.

@Naetik30 Have you noticed any change in fuel efficiency and engine sound?
unniaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 20:58   #407
BHPian

I am planning to get the Alcazar Signature (O) AT soon. Most of the showrooms are keen to push the Platinum (O) variant over the Signature. There seems to be a waiting period of 3 months or over for Signature Variant, while Platinum can be taken within 30 to 45 days.

Considering there are only 3 differences (1. Front Parking Sensors, 2. Front ventilated seats 3. Signature Badge at the back), would it be worth waiting longer for Signature variant paying 30 to 40 K more. How effective are the ventilated seats?

Secondly, i am confused whether to opt for Petrol or Diesel. I personally lean towards Diesel. One of the key factors (apart from various other factors) for me to choose Alcazar over Safari and XUV is the mileage. The sales people are keen to sell Petrol over Diesel for whatever reasons. I am told that Diesel Service cost are way higher than petrol (to the tune of 40 to 80% more). They also seem to suggest that the resale value of Diesel will nosedive in the next 4 to 5 years, hence holding on to Diesel for long period in time doesn’t make sense. Does it make sense to go for Diesel over Petrol at this point in time?

I test drove both Petrol and Diesel, though the Petrol is slightly better in terms of initial pick-up, the diesel seems a bit sluggish to start off but is equally good once the 30 kmph range is crossed. I dint find a vast difference in power delivery between both. I should be ok with both in terms of pick-up, drivability and speed.

Can someone help with real efficiency difference between Petrol and Diesel. I dont want end up with single digit FE again taking a Petrol.
Vikashmalya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 05:02   #408
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikashmalya View Post
Can someone help with real efficiency difference between Petrol and Diesel. I dont want end up with single digit FE again taking a Petrol.
the Alcazar petrol is likely to give you single digit FE when driven in the city, with mileage picking up on the highways. the Diesel should offer you better mileage any day owing to two factors:
1. 1.5 L engine in Diesel vs 2.0 engine in Petrol
2. the ARAI mileage figures of the petrol are much lower than the diesel too. Moreover, the diesel engine is less powerful and is the same one used in the Seltos and Creta.

Power and torque figures of the 1.5 L diesel are: Max Power: 115 PS @ 4000rpm, Max Torque: 250 Nm @ 1500 - 2750rpm
whereas for the 2.0 L Petrol: Max Power: 159 PS @ 6500rpm, Max Torque: 191 Nm @ 4500rpm

Last edited by itsmeparvathy9 : 7th August 2022 at 05:06.
itsmeparvathy9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 07:13   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikashmalya View Post
Hyundai AT petrols are notorious when it comes to mileage. Our Alcazar AT petrol returns single digit figures. It's somewhere between 7-9 kmpl. Hopefully it should improve after the first major service but expecting maximum 10 kmpl.

Service costs will be slightly higher for diesel but not by a huge margin. My Creta averages around Rs.10k per service. Diesel service cost tends to be a bit expensive after 50k or 60k kms (Initial services were around Rs 6k to 8k max).

Am not sure how good the 1.5 diesel will be on a fully loaded Alcazar. If you really don't need a 7 seater, suggest looking at Creta or Seltos.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 12:03   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unniaan View Post
We started the regeneration from the "diesel filter regeneration required" warning screen. There was an option showing longpress ok to begin regeneration. Have not seen an option otherwise for regeneration on the cluster. I didn't visit the service center for the issue. When I talked to them, they told there's no need to visit after successful regeneration. I am anyway planning to visit the service center next week as the fuel efficiency seems to have taken a significant hit after the issue. Also engine seems a bit loud.

@Naetik30 Have you noticed any change in fuel efficiency and engine sound?
Hi @unniaan

Just to be clear. I did not get the diesel filter regeneration message/warning. I had visited the service center and asked them to check the value using the ODB scan and found it to be over 80%, last week.

But over the last weekend, I completed a 1200+kms return trip from Bangalore to Hyderabad. And there was no issue or warning showing up. I am also hoping the DPF load would have reduced with the 1200km highway trip.

On your mileage query, based on my understanding the mileage would go down when the system passively tries to burn out the soot in the filter. This is done by injecting excess fuel and so the resultant drop in mileage.

On the engine sound change, etc. I did not notice any change. It is the same refined note and no issues.

So, based on my research and discussions - as long as we have a highway run of 30 minutes every 500kms, we are good. Else, there may be chances of the warning popping up.
Naetik30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 23:42   #411
dew

Hello Everyone,

I got my Alcazar Prestige MT Phantom Black last friday.We upgraded from our 2019 Ertiga VXI Blue MT Petrol.

Why we selected Alcazar:
+ Great value for money
+ Loaded with features when compared to other similarly priced cars
+ Good Resale value
+ Good and cheap after sales service
+ 160 HP
+ Looks: Mini Palisade from front, Endeavor from rear
+ Usable boot even after all seats are up
+ 50:50 split seats
+ Panoramic Sunroof
+ Beautiful alloy wheels (17")
+ Nice cognac brown interiors
+ 200MM GC
+ Auto Dimming IRVM
+ Blue Link and Start/Stop with Key
+ Rear Tray
+ 3rd Row AC vents
+ Ambient Lighting

- No AWD Option
- Low Fuel Efficiency
- A bit smaller compared to other cars we considered
- Small Tyres (Even Brezza gets 215, Should have been 235 atleast)

And one more:

"Bro, Congrats you bought a Creta?"
"..........Its not Creta, Its Alcazar. Means fortress in Spanish "

--------

Other cars we considers and why we rejected them:

1. Tata Safari XT Plus Diesel MT
+ Beautiful inside out
+ Roomy
+ Big wheels (235)
+ Panoramic Sunroof

- Diesel only (10 year ban in NCR)
- Lacks some features (small screen, low res camera)
- Front Wheel Drive only
- Fabric Upholstery
- A bit pricey
- Tata resale value

2. New Scorpio Z8 MT Petrol/ Z4 MT Petrol:
+ Big
+ 200 HP

- Buggy and nearly impossible online booking process
- Unbelievable booking numbers meaning very long waiting periods.
- No 50-50 Split Seats
- No Alloys even in the Z8
- Small sunroof compared to other similarly priced cars (Z8)/ No sunroof (Z4)
- Unusable Boot space when all seats are up
- No 4WD in Petrol

3. XUV 700 AX5 MT Petrol
+ Big car for less money
+ Nice Interiors
+ Panoramic Sunroof

- Long waiting periods
- Not a fan of front design

Thar Top End MT Petrol Hardtop
+ 4 Huge Wheels (245)
+ 4x4
+ Road presence

- Family didn't like it
- We are upgrading from Ertiga and space has become the most important thing for us in a car

Toyota Hyryder
+ AWD
+ Panoramic Sunroof
+ Decent Interiors
+ Decent Mileage

- Same Ertiga engine in mild hybrid version, Want something new for a change
- 360 looks cheap
- Looks Small in person
- 5 Seater

Hyundai Alcazar Review-img_e2644.jpg
Our Ertiga

Hyundai Alcazar Review-img_4025.jpg

Hyundai Alcazar Review-img_4114.jpg

Hyundai Alcazar Review-img_4046.jpg

Accessories we bought along with the Car:
- 3D Mats
- Side Step (Hasn't arrived yet, Dealer said will install it later)
- Seat Covers (Same color as stock seats, We opted for this as Prestige - comes with fabric seats)
- Rear sill guard
- Mud Flaps
- 3d boot Mat

I have driven for around 50 odd km so far and my initial driving impressions are:
1. Seat is much higher compared to Ertiga (Or atleast it feels like that)
2. Gearing is very tall, I shift less frequently than Ertiga.
3. Brakes are sudden compared to Ertiga, Maybe because they are new, It took me a little getting used to.
4. We were a little concerned about the Black interiors coming from a beige Ertiga however the Sunroof lets in lots of light and it feels roomy
5. 3rd row is not as spacious as Ertiga however the view from third row is great and you don't feel claustrophobic
6. Tumble seats are very useful
7. Horn sounds better

Last edited by Aditya : 14th August 2022 at 23:17. Reason: Safari Petrol - Diesel
dew is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 10:18   #412

Hi All,

It has been a little less than a month of driving around our new Alcazar (Signature Petrol 2.0 AT) and it feels pretty much like a dream, gliding on the roads with this. It has also been a major upgrade for us (from i20) so the differences are more pronounced. I have a few questions for this group:

1. I have been driving around with the Auto Hold on. Have done about 600 kms so far all in the city (BLR) and this feature is a godsend. I am begining to wonder if (i) it affects the health of the car is any way to do so and (ii) it has an impact on the mileage.

2. As a manual car driver for many years, I am still learning the ropes with an Auto. One thing I fail to do often is put the car back on NEUTRAL each time that I stop at a signal etc. While I am getting better at it, does this (ie no shifting to N) affect the car health or the mileage in any manner?

3.What is a practical utilization of the Blue Link app. Has anyone figured out if it is utilitarian while handing over the car for valet etc?

4. So far we have a mileage of sub 7 kmpl. Does this increase reasonably (say 10 kmpl) post the first servicing? Do the others here share a similar experience?

Thanks in advance.
Bibhu
bibhudutta.pani is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 11:32   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibhudutta.pani View Post
1. I have been driving around with the Auto Hold on. Have done about 600 kms so far all in the city (BLR) and this feature is a godsend. I am begining to wonder if (i) it affects the health of the car is any way to do so and (ii) it has an impact on the mileage.
True Auto hold works by simply applying the parking brake electronically for some seconds more (after brake pedal is released) to give time to engage clutch / provide throttle.

It doesn't affect mechanical health as such & definitely doesn't impact the mileage.
Quote:
2. As a manual car driver for many years, I am still learning the ropes with an Auto. One thing I fail to do often is put the car back on NEUTRAL each time that I stop at a signal etc. While I am getting better at it, does this (ie no shifting to N) affect the car health or the mileage in any manner?
I'm a bit surprised at this given you come from an MT & we are in fact always used to shift to N at stops.
Nevertheless - you'll see some people saying no need to shift to N, and equal number of people saying its better to shift to N. Personally - I'd recommend shifting to N, to keep the transmission disengaged.

Again - hardly any difference worth noting in the mileage either way.
Quote:
4. So far we have a mileage of sub 7 kmpl. Does this increase reasonably (say 10 kmpl) post the first servicing? Do the others here share a similar experience?
Gone are the days where engine run-ins etc resulted in improved mileage of a car after a month or two or usage (i.e. after first servicing). First of all - they do absolutely nothing in the first servicing at all. Its just an inspection & complementary wash generally. And they fix any specific issues that you may have found. Niggles generally. So - give up on any hope of improved FE just after 1st servicing. That will only happen if your car has some serious issue in the powertrain that will be fixed in the service (most definitely that isn't the case).

Today's ECU controlled MPFI/TGDI engines are not like old carb driven engines where the mechanics could tune the carburetor to work on the mileage numbers if you insisted. The engines are computer controlled and pre-run-in. Nothing changes on the engine side as such.

The only way in which you can see an improvement in the FE is - if you can modulate your throttle inputs or the general driving style to optimize how the engine-transmission is working in your driving conditions. Lift and coast, avoiding acceleration-braking cycles by anticipating the traffic ahead are easy means. Linear throttle inputs is another big one.

In general looking at your question I get the feeling that you are a bit alarmed at the 7kmpl that you are getting. Its not too low if you ask me. For a petrol AT car thats as heavy as the Alcazar - those are the numbers one can get in a crowded metro city with eternal traffic jams. Everyone from even small AT cars to the Compass - will agree with your FE numbers. Perhaps stop looking at the FE for now & just enjoy all the other positive aspects of the car. There's so much more to car ownership than kmpl afterall.

Last edited by Reinhard : 9th August 2022 at 11:43.
Reinhard is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 12:42   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew View Post

"Bro, Congrats you bought a Creta?"
"..........Its not Creta, Its Alcazar. Means fortress in Spanish "
Just a quick pointer - it means fortress in Italian

Congrats on the buy! Wishing you more miles and smiles.

Quick Question : How much does the side step cost? And is it the OEM one?
VNair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 13:20   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

In general looking at your question I get the feeling that you are a bit alarmed at the 7kmpl that you are getting. Its not too low if you ask me. For a petrol AT car thats as heavy as the Alcazar - those are the numbers one can get in a crowded metro city with eternal traffic jams. Everyone from even small AT cars to the Compass - will agree with your FE numbers. Perhaps stop looking at the FE for now & just enjoy all the other positive aspects of the car. There's so much more to car ownership than kmpl afterall.
Well said. I guess we tend to worry little too much on the fuel efficiency. Given that we have moved on from small NA engines on compact cars to three rows bigger SUVs with powerful engines, it is high time we have realistic expectations
Another thing is perspective. When we have reached a certain stage in life by God's grace when we can afford to spend big bucks to buy big SUV, we should stop worrying about fuel efficiency and focus on enjoying the fruit of the hardwork. Sometimes, one spends more on a family lunch in a fancy restaurant or a hotel stay than on a tankful of petrol

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 9th August 2022 at 13:28.
Aviator_guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 15:16   #416

Thanks Reinhard for taking time out to put together a detailed response. Appreciate it. And yes agreed on dousing down the urge to keep an eye on KMPL. Will take some time but need to get that under control.
Old 9th August 2022, 19:05   #417
dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNair View Post
Just a quick pointer - it means fortress in Italian

Congrats on the buy! Wishing you more miles and smiles.

Quick Question : How much does the side step cost? And is it the OEM one?
Thank you for correction, I was off by about 2000 KM

Yes the side step is OEM and costs 18700 Rs. Will share pics once its installed.
dew is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 14:42   #418
BHPian

My Alcazar completed 8500kms this week. That is close to 3000 kms every month. Never driven another car so much in such a short time. Really enjoying this one. Will provide an full update after the 10000km service in the next few weeks.

Now, today Hyundai Tucson's base variant price was revealed and it comes to about INR 35Lakhs OTR in Bangalore. That is a whopping 10L+ for the base Tucson petrol over the top end diesel Alcazar. I had been waiting for the Tucson since 2021, but settled for the Alcazar in late April as I couldn't wait anymore. I know lot of people hate the Alcazar for its looks. But until you drive one, you will not understand how good of a vehicle this is (handling/comfort/finesse) + the value proposition that Alcazar brings to the table.
Naetik30 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 12:09   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
I know lot of people hate the Alcazar for its looks. But until you drive one, you will not understand how good of a vehicle this is (handling/comfort/finesse) + the value proposition that Alcazar brings to the table.
Absolutely, looks are very subjective and it to his own. I know many people who hate the looks to the new Tucson, but I absolutely love it. And of course, I love how the Alcazar looks too, its not sporty or say SUV'ish, but certainly premium. Many people love the looks of Brezza, it never made me turn my head since it launch
VNair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 18:50   #420
BHPian

Hey guys. Had asked this before too. Any re maps available for the 1.5 diesel? A power bump will remove the only major grouse with the car..

Also found this on youtube. Aux lights for Alcazar. Can give it a try though to solve the horrible view problem in rains.

Last edited by callmeneo : 11th August 2022 at 18:53.
callmeneo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks