Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2021, 12:18   #61
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Alcazar Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatin247 View Post
If you are just considering petrol then I would suggest you to definitely consider Alcazar.
Thank you. 5+ seats is not a hard requirement as of now. But I was just considering a hypothetical situation with something that costs roughly 20L OTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Here are some clues for those who might pick the Alcazar:
1. I have a hunch it is not going to be very comfortable either for +2/3 or +4/5 ( ex. 1st row) if we consider all sizes.

2 & 3 make sense.

But what does not make sense is paying Crysta money for it. At least for the variants I compared above, safety features seem at par for both (with Crysta having the NCAP edge).

So looks like we are paying a lot just for all the gizmos. I would like to see how many of those continue to operate year in and year out without being laggy or glitchy.

I might be in the minority here, but once that 3rd row comes into the play, I believe the whole game changes.
Old 26th June 2021, 12:22   #62
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Wow. Nice review. First time I've liked a Hyundai this fast (except the front fascia of course). Looks really premium and I dig the interior. The digital cluster and infotainment screen look absolutely top of the line. I just want to hear that relaxed 2.0 N.A. motor scream hard.

I know, there's no need for it but AWD and 8 speed from the Tucson would have been nice (especially with the bigger engine).
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 12:53   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
This is the exact family which Hyundai is trying to target and they will sell in troves because of Creta's established name. For common, this is Creta with 7/6 seat. Simple. We can talk many things like fascia, leg groom and others, but Hyundai will struggle to deliver the numbers for this car for sure as people buyers will be flocking to the showrooms. India is a SUV crazy place and even if the price clashes with Innova Crysta 2.4, still people will buy Innova, because of its people mover image (ladies, who are the decision makers at the end in many families only see Innova as a people haulers). Tata/Mahindra/Chinese brands are no match to Hyundai's image in India. With Tata's reliability issues and XUV's aging design, Alcazar has everything to sell big numbers. I would have loved to see a 2 liter CRDI tuned better than the Elantra's, instead of pony 1.4 though. This 1.4 will struggle in ghat/hilly inclines with full load and luggage. This is the only disadvantage, as for as I personally I can see. Petrol auto will give 6-8 kmpl and with the price raising every day, I do not even think of touching the Petrol Auto with a long pole!

Last edited by sgmuser : 26th June 2021 at 12:55. Reason: typo
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 12:56   #64
BHPian

Brilliant review. Deserves more than five star.

Alcazar is a beautiful car that don't have quirkiness of Creta. Interior look premium. But the deal breaker can be middle row leg room. Hyundai at least have given good legroom for the middle row. If that was possible, useless third row can be folded down to enjoy bigger boot space.

360 degree camera and its integration is awesome. Those who have driven on narrow roads of Himalaya will understand its immense value.
Old 26th June 2021, 15:27   #65
BHPian

I really don't understand why this car exists to be honest. The 3rd row is basically useless for adults. It's a bigger Creta, that's pretty much it. I don't see why someone would get this over the Innova unless all they really care about are features + sunroof. Frankly, a typical family is better off with the Creta.
Old 26th June 2021, 16:41   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
It's a bigger Creta, that's pretty much it.
It is not even that. 6 Seater will not even seat 5 adults comfortably, which is not the case in Creta where 5 adult can be accommodated rather better. This simply does not compare to Hector Plus and Safari make much better sense than Alcazar. However, I am sure this being Hyundai will be selling more than mentioned better alternatives.
abhijet.sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 16:59   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijet.sen View Post
It is not even that. 6 Seater will not even seat 5 adults comfortably, which is not the case in Creta where 5 adult can be accommodated rather better. This simply does not compare to Hector Plus and Safari make much better sense than Alcazar. However, I am sure this being Hyundai will be selling more than mentioned better alternatives.
This is my beef with Hyundai on this design too. Its worse than Creta if you want all the bling and go for the top variant. At least in Creta you get to seat 5 people (adults or kids or any combination thereof) and lot of luggage space.

Alcazar only provides
- 4 adults and luggage space
(or)
- 4 adults + 2 kids (small kids though) and very limited luggage

I dont see a way for 5 adults to travel in this car.

Sadly I have to retain my Safari booking with unknown wait for now.
Old 26th June 2021, 17:16   #68
BHPian

Can anyone check and tell if a "bonnet open" warning comes up in the instrument cluster? It did not in the Creta. Also, what you all think will the boot space be with the 3rd row down?

Last edited by Aditya : 27th June 2021 at 04:52. Reason: Grammar; punctuation added
Brishti is offline   Received Infraction
Old 26th June 2021, 19:17   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review!

In my opinion, the Alcazar has no USP. It is not as functional a 6/7 seater as the competition. The diesel mill will be pretty ordinary with 7 people on board (you may argue that ertiga used to make do with puny laggy 1.3 diesel).

It does have a few things that I like:

1. The interior and seat colour scheme with the tan (cognac brown I see) is classy! Creta should have had this instead.of white.

2. A lot of upper middle class families with 5/4 adults & 2 kids might just choose the alcazar instead of the much bigger innova.

3. A bit more ladies friendly than the other MPVs, isn't it? The alcazar is just as big as a c2 sedan (ciaz/city). That's a good 15 cm shorter and 10 cm narrower than other 6/7 seaters. That will be much helpful in the urban setting.

4. Hyundai does have a much better brand value than the tata/MG/Mahindra.

BTW the chrome strip at the rear, blending with the tail lights, is eerily similar to the endeavour

Hyundai Alcazar Review-20210626_190639.jpg

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 26th June 2021 at 19:19.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 19:55   #70

Disappointed with the package!
I was looking forward to "upgrade" from my fantastic 4.5 Year old Hexa to the Alcazar.
Yes, its feature laden when compared to the Hexa, but the space inside is a real let down.

What say? Is it still a worthy move from Hexa to Alcazar?
Old 26th June 2021, 20:33   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
What say? Is it still a worthy move from Hexa to Alcazar?
The Hexa feels 2 segments above in terms of size compared to the Alcazar. You will miss the acres of space available in the Hexa. Also ride quality and ruggedness of the Hexa is miles aheah. You will also miss the 2.2L varicor engine’s punch compared to the very linear 1.5L diesel Alcazar.

Alcazar is best suited for 4 people (6 seater variant) or 5 people (7 seater variant).

What the Alcazar will give you is just features (although many are useful) and refinement. Other than that better buy the Creta.

Retain that 3.5year old Hexa, you just don’t get cars like that anymore!!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 26th June 2021 at 21:01.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 21:00   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent review as always.

This should sell well considering the gizmos it is loaded with. The pricing indicates it is overpriced considering it is priced on the overpriced Creta to start with. Will it make a dent in the MG Hector plus and the TATA Safari sales or expand the segment itself? Need to closely watch how it pans out over the next two quarters.
Old 26th June 2021, 21:25   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
I really don't understand why this car exists to be honest. The 3rd row is basically useless for adults. It's a bigger Creta, that's pretty much it. I don't see why someone would get this over the Innova unless all they really care about are features + sunroof. Frankly, a typical family is better off with the Creta.
This can be treated as a part time or emergency 7 seater. After seeing all reviews, this one is positioned against Hector plus/Safari and not Innova. Small percentage of Innova buyers will get these due to features, price and ease of driving.

Between Hector plus, Safari and Alcazar, if one needs petrol power Alcazar is an easy choice. For diesel, Hector again loses the battle due to lack of AT. FE and feature conscious folks will prefer Alcazar while those who need extra punch, Safari is an easy pick.
Old 26th June 2021, 21:39   #74

To start with, a great review as always.

I have been in the market for a slightly larger car for a while now and had almost closed the deal with MG for the hector. But tbh, the hector lacks finess and the cabin just does not feel elegant. My wife echoed my sentiments as well.

What works for the Alcazar is, the moment you sit inside, it feels premium. It is a cabin that is pleasant and will make you feel good everyday.

I have a family of 3 and my 3 year old son sits exclusively in a car seat. So while I don't need a 3rd bench, it will come in handy when the parents visit. My son will be happy in his car seat in the last row and the bench in the middle allows me to seat 3.

From that lens, which will be many Indians today, this car is perfect. Yes it is not fun to drive, but that's why we have second cars right!

Safari: it is a heavy car and it is not ideal for a 60kms daily city commute.

Maruti: it's just a no for all the reasons everyone hS stated above, including image

MG: don't like the Chinese heritage, and the cabin, while nice, just lacks premiumness

Mahindra: 500 is too dated and the XUV 700, since it is new, will come with its niggles.

Finally, I booked the Alcazar and am awaiting delivery. Am I 101% satisfied with this decision... No. But does this car do it's intended job well.. hell yes.
VeejayVasnaani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 22:15   #75
Senior - BHPian

I think it’s a lovely vehicle and Hyundai will laugh all the way to the bank. Forget about performance for a family car, most people will not bother about it. A large part of buyers are not going to use the last row, it’s for bragging rights and to satisfy a want, not a need. Also, forget about comparisons (with the Creta) as many will buy this because it is the latest from the company.

Personally I don’t find the alloys ok, I absolutely hate them. They spoil the overall look of the Alcazar along with the grill of course. Still, I don’t mind the grill as much as the alloys

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks