Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2021, 12:53   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Alcazar Review

Saw this video by Hyundai:

During the launch of the Alcazar, Hyundai had shown 'ALCAZAR' written in the Rann of Kutch, so decided to check google maps to see if something actually exists.

Hyundai Alcazar Review-alcazarrannofkutch.png

Hyundai Alcazar Review-alcazarrannofkutch2.png

https://www.google.com/maps/place/23...3.3275!4d71.53
CEF_Beasts is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 21:01   #242

HI Folks, Its been 3 months I took delivery of Platinum Dsl AT 7 Seater, clocked around 3K kms already. I am impressed with the vehicle for its refinement and practicality. Did a 600Km trip road trip to Munnar and it has been blissful. But still there could have been things can be improved as well.

+ves,

Refinement
good Drivability
Efficiency ,
Reasonable space with minimal foot print
Feature loaded

-ves,
Ride Quality , it could have been better tuned. i guess 18 inchers spoils the ride.
with 115 BHP , it struggles to keep the pace on 4 lane or ghat sections with full load.
there is a engine missing at 30-40km speed at times.

I guess Alcazar is not going to set the charts of fire, but it is a jack of all trade kind of things.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Alcazar Review-dsc_0800.jpg  

Turbospool83 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 09:27   #243

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Took delivery of a phantom black Alcazar signature last month. Have to say it is very well equipped - cabin is really quiet - while idling in the parking lot, had to look at the tacho to confirm engine was on! Lights are awesome and the auto-dimming rear view is a life saver. 360 camera: My God, how have I survived without it? Parking is an absolute cinch with this. Couple of irritants:
1. Lack of Wireless CarPlay: Why oh why isn’t it there?
2. Indicator settings get reset every time I switch off: I changed one-touch turn indicator to flash 7 times instead of 3. Works for the duration of the trip. But the moment I turn engine off, this gets reset. Has anyone else seen this? Feature (!) or bug?
Old 7th January 2022, 20:32   #244
BHPian

I was expecting some discounts in the name of Kia Carens, but
Alcazar Price hiked by Rs.22,000
Old 15th January 2022, 11:17   #245
Senior - BHPian

Shah Rukh Khan turns chauffeur for Indian women cricketers in new Alcazar ad.

With competition in the sub Rs 20 lakh three-row SUV segment hotting up, Hyundai wants to leave no stone unturned to further underline the performance, feature and space credentials of the Alcazar.

Last edited by Venkatesh : 15th January 2022 at 11:19.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 15:07   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

https://Youtu.be/7tIxaMuepms

With competition in the sub Rs 20 lakh three-row SUV segment hotting up, Hyundai wants to leave no stone unturned to further underline the performance, feature and space credentials of the Alcazar.
I dont know, but I felt that Sharukh Khan looked mighty bored in that advert. Not his usual ebullient self. In any case, he himself has outgrown the brand so to speak. Its like Tom Cruise selling a Ford or Toyota minivan.
I think auto OEMs must look beyond movie and sports stars for endorsing essentially "commodity" items. They need someone who can very casually emphasize the "family" aspect. Perhaps they should get back to using regular models like in the earlier days.
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 17:50   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What irony

“Bohot space hein”
“Piche toh pavilion bhi hein”
“Space toh itna hein ki Cricket khel le”

When I had sat in the Alcazar’s last row, it was the weirdest feeling ever! Forget the Ertiga/XL6 even the sub-4m Triber offers more space. Neither the 2nd nor 3rd row has space in the Alcazar, even the Creta is better in terms of space and not to forget the Creta is cheaper too.

Hyundai India just face it you haven’t done the necessary homework in the space department, no amount of features will bring space back into the car, even Actor endorsements will not help it’s case!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 15th January 2022 at 18:05.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 20:31   #248
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:

https://Youtu.be/7tIxaMuepms
The scene from 1:12 to 1:16 => straight out of 1960s, in terms of play in the steering in it's straight ahead position. SRK is dancing the wheel as if there is nothing connected underneath - it's cartoonish. Unless, the infamous Hyundai steering "light feel" is actually worth that much play in straight ahead position without the car responding at all. Obviously it's a studio shot and they could have paid more attention, the director could have said "SRK, it's not playstation steering". This 4 second duration makes an already dreary ad, farcical.
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 01:48   #249
BHPian

I recently completed a 1200+ km round trip with a mix of highway, ghat roads, and two-way roads with moderate traffic. The distribution of the travel one side is as below:
  • Highway - ~400km
  • Ghat Roads - ~100km
  • Two-way/ country roads - ~100km

This being the first sort of long drive after I acquired Alcazar, below are are my observations. Please take note that these observations could be influenced by the driving experience with my previous vehicles (Tata Safari Lxi 2.2VTT - 13 yrs, Toyota Corolla 1.8 Xli Automatic - 7 years).

Positives:

1. Very smooth diesel engine with excellent drivability. Throughout the drive I never felt the need for more engine power - be it on the highway, ghat roads or the two-way roads. Acceleration on the highway, maneuvering along the ghat and quick overtaking during two-way roads - all were achieved without fuss. Also wanted to mention that the last row seats were tumbled and luggage/ bags are loaded (let me confess that my travels are luggage-heavy )

2. Excellent TC auto gearbox did the needful throughout. Never felt the need to switch to manual mode, or use the paddle shifters (except for testing how they behave during the drive). The auto box was ready with the right gear throughout the drive, the moment you take your right leg off the pedal or press it to accelerate, the gear box exactly knows what to do. This is was slightly different experience with my 4-Speed TC gearbox on the Toyota Corolla back in 2000. I think the availability of a number of gears and the torque of the diesel engine helped the case here.

3. Set the cruise control at 80 or 100 km/hr and the car maintains the speed irrespective of the road inclines or gradients. The kick down and the acceleration to achieve the set speed is quite rapid (and a bit breathtaking sometimes).

4. The vehicle gives a comfortable drive at all speeds - very minimal vertical or horizontal movements. Quite planted at corners during the ghat drive too. There was a world of difference (for obvious reasons) comparing the previous drives on the same route on the Safari. This one is more car-like in that sense.

5. Alcazar gave an impressive efficiency of 21.5 km/ ltr for the overall one way drive, in comfort drive mode throughout. I forgot to test how would it fare on other 2 modes (Economy/ Sport). I think I did not feel the need to switch the modes looking at the efficiency, and the way the engine was performing without hesitation.

6. Very comfortable seats with adequate under thigh support. No tiredness after spending around 13hrs in the car; family was comfortable as well - I suppose the flat ride was helping this point.

7. Excellent braking, without any drama even at high speeds. Enough engine braking during downhill as well - even if you take your right leg off the pedal, the vehicle is on the right gear to provide the much required engine braking during inclines. I found this was different in my Corolla back in year 2000. Things have changed for good over the years

8. Panoramic sunroof helps the entertainment factor inside the car, especially during rains. It was raining enroute to Bangalore and wifey and kiddo enjoyed the view of the rain through the glass on the sunroof.

9. Ground clearance is adequate, nowhere the underbelly touched while negotiating potholes/ humps throughout the drive.

10. Head lamps (both low/ high beam) has enough lighting and adequate throw as well.

11. The doorsills and the plastic cladding below throughout the car's side ensure that the painted surface is not scratched by your footwear during ingress/ egress.

12. Tested full capacity (6 medium built adults and 2 kids) drive and never it felt underpowered during uphill too. Please take note that I prefer relaxed driving, and usually avoid rapid acceleration/ pedal-to-metal scenarios - so my opinion could be subjective.

Not so positives:

1. The drive on pothole-ridden roads and not plush. One needs to slow down (unlike the Safari), though the R17 wheels on the Prestige(O) help a bit (compared to R18 ones on the platinum and Signature models), there is no comparison with Safari's soft suspension.

2. There is a dead zone around 35 - 40 km/hr sometimes- if you stay around that speed and try to accelerate, it takes additional couple of seconds. However, if you pass this range quickly you wouldn't notice it.

3. The back of the car, including the number plate area got unusually dirty during high speed driving during rains. I suppose the rear wheel placement (helping the wheelbase) could be one of the reasons. I had to take the vehicle for a pressure wash to clear all the grime in this area after returning to Bangalore.

4. The setting for Lane change indicator flash gets reset upon vehicle restart. I had set it to 5 before starting the drive, but upon restarting the vehicle it defaulted back to 3 blinks.

5.The roof of the vehicle is a bit low slung to my liking, and my forehead hit the edge of the roof a couple of times while entering the middle row. Muscle memory due to the 13 long years of use of Safari will take some time to get adjusted to the new vehicle, I guess .

Overall, I liked the vehicle and thoroughly enjoyed the drive. I was originally skeptical about the capability of the vehicle on ghat roads with the luggage loaded, however got pleasantly surprised, and am more confident now to take the vehicle on any routes.

The 'Drive info' after the return journey (indicating the kilometers covered, time it took and the fuel efficiency), and some random pics along the drive ate attached below. Apologies for the low quality of pics clicked using mobile camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Alcazar Review-3.jpg  

Hyundai Alcazar Review-1.jpg  

Hyundai Alcazar Review-2.jpg  

sunil_k_u is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 05:18   #250
Senior - BHPian

Great crisp driving report. I second your view on the 1.5 Diesel. I feel that it actually has more grunt in the higher speed regime (above 70-80kph) than anticipated, making you wonder whether the quoted power figures (115bhp) are understated. It doesnt have the hyper-rush feeling of its 1.4 Turbo DCT sibling, but its not far behind either.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 16th January 2022 at 05:19.
Old 16th January 2022, 09:58   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
What irony

“Bohot space hein”
“Piche toh pavilion bhi hein”
“Space toh itna hein ki Cricket khel le”

When I had sat in the Alcazar’s last row, it was the weirdest feeling ever! Forget the Ertiga/XL6 even the sub-4m Triber offers more space. Neither the 2nd nor 3rd row has space in the Alcazar, even the Creta is better in terms of space and not to forget the Creta is cheaper too.

Hyundai India just face it you haven’t done the necessary homework in the space department, no amount of features will bring space back into the car, even Actor endorsements will not help it’s case!
I have sat in the Alcazar and didn't feel that the second row is cramped, third row for most cars are cramped. Unless you have all 6 footers in the family. dont think you would feel cramped in the second row.Even with all rows in place there is a bit more space for luggage than most other SUV's.
Iam considering the petrol version over XUV 700 given the huge price hike and long waiting.
werfish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 12:59   #252
BHPian

Hi all, a newbie here. Waiting to take delivery of my Starry Night 7 seater Petrol AT Alcazar in the next few days - it's already in the showroom waiting for insurance and registration formalities. Super excited since this is my very FIRST car in India, having stayed outside India for almost 3 decades. Needless to add, I shortlisted the Alcazar after going through the Team BHP review and various user comments. I have scrupulously avoided driving in India all these years for obvious reasons (lack of lane discipline and driving too close for comfort are just two of the reasons), so there's going to be a learning curve when I take the car out for the first time. My guess is that getting used to RHD will only be a minor issue compared to negotiating drivers trying to breath on my neck and shoulders on the road. Any helpful pointers to alleviate my concerns are most welcome. Also, any mandatory accessories to the car? The dealer is charging 15k bucks for mats, mudguard, car cover, boot garnish, door visor and some other items. I thought of avoiding the visor - are they really so useful? Have never seen them being used overseas. Would appreciate comments. Finally.. just got to say this forum is an awesome place, and it just feels awesome posting my first message
sraghavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 13:55   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraghavan View Post
Hi all, a newbie here. Waiting to take delivery of my Starry Night 7 seater Petrol AT Alcazar in the next few days - it's already in the showroom waiting for insurance and registration formalities. Super excited since this is my very FIRST car in India, having stayed outside India for almost 3 decades. Needless to add, I shortlisted the Alcazar after going through the Team BHP review and various user comments. I have scrupulously avoided driving in India all these years for obvious reasons (lack of lane discipline and driving too close for comfort are just two of the reasons), so there's going to be a learning curve when I take the car out for the first time. My guess is that getting used to RHD will only be a minor issue compared to negotiating drivers trying to breath on my neck and shoulders on the road. Any helpful pointers to alleviate my concerns are most welcome. Also, any mandatory accessories to the car? The dealer is charging 15k bucks for mats, mudguard, car cover, boot garnish, door visor and some other items. I thought of avoiding the visor - are they really so useful? Have never seen them being used overseas. Would appreciate comments. Finally.. just got to say this forum is an awesome place, and it just feels awesome posting my first message
Best wishes for your new car to be! Just one thing to add is about accessories. There is no "mandatory" and you can pay for what you want to buy.. I'd suggest mud flaps and mats (including boot mat) as something useful. Other than these, it is up to you whether you need car cover, God idol, car freshener etc. Door visor is again personal choice and may be useful if you plan to drive by rolling down window slightly and worried about rain. Other than this, I consider it as just cosmetic item. Please pay for what you buy and don't give into to this "mandatory" forced by dealer.
Aviator_guy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 14:09   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, any mandatory accessories to the car? The dealer is charging 15k bucks for mats, mudguard, car cover, boot garnish, door visor and some other items. I thought of avoiding the visor - are they really so useful? Have never seen them being used overseas. Would appreciate comments. Finally.. just got to say this forum is an awesome place, and it just feels awesome posting my first message
Congrats on your new car. Hyundai car mats are usually pathetic (not good quality rubber). Get the mud flaps from the showroom and a decent 3D/4D mats from any car accessory shops.
Get the magnetic sun shades for the front doors (sun blinds already there for the rear seats right?) as it's pretty useful during long drives.
I personally don't like the visors as they spoil the clean look of the car.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 17:06   #255
BHPian

Congrats on your new car (in advance).

Quote:
I have scrupulously avoided driving in India all these years for obvious reasons (lack of lane discipline and driving too close for comfort are just two of the reasons), so there's going to be a learning curve when I take the car out for the first time.
I can understand your situation. Whenever I used to return from other coutries, just after few months, first thing that used to irritate me is honking. It just starts as soon as you come out of the airport.
There is no solution and you have to go through all these tradition.
Just be prepared mentally for dents, scratches. Also, there are many threads on Team-BHP related to road rage, you can go through them if you have time.

Quote:
The dealer is charging 15k bucks for mats, mudguard, car cover, boot garnish, door visor and some other items.
A good floor mat costs around 10K, as per below comment on this thread. You can check with the dealer if it is the same one.
Link (Hyundai Alcazar Review)
praveenkkr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks