Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2022, 14:37   #286
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Alcazar Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
- The AC sucked. It absolutely did not cool. SA said it was because the car was parked in the sun the whole day. But then I would expect to be a bit cool at least by the time the test drive ended, but that was not the case. Can any owners throw more light on how the AC performs?
- Price. It costs 25.5L OTR Bangalore. I feel I rather pay couple of lakhs more and get the XUV (don't mind the wait).
I am using the Alcazar 1.5 AT 6S in Bangalore and I normally keep the panoramic roof open.
When the car is parked in the sun for few hours the cabin does get hot.
So i normally open the windows and pop open the sunroof and fire up the Aircon to full. I would say in 5 to 10 mins all is good.

So depending on where I park I at times close the panoramic roof.

Summary, no complaints on the Air Con front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadbe View Post
Team,

I am finalizing Hyundai Alcazar petrol AT signature. How much FE should I expect. As such my yearly running will be less than 8k with 80% city driving. Although my running is less, don't want to get stuck with 5 6 kmpl mileage.

If petrol AT are bound to reach 5 to 6 mileage after around 1 2 years of usage, I may consider diesel. Will help in resale as well.
I too was in this situation of FE Petrol vs Diesel.
You need to understand what is your driving usage, each person is different.
Take me for example I use the car for short runs to the local grocery store 2km away and to my parents place 3km away.
The short runs play a big factor in FE if you ask me.
My current FE without going to office (60km round trip) is around 12km/l

So when i calculated the Petrol 2.0L FE for my usage I was sure i would get around 7 to 9 Km/l and overall may hit a 10 but need to be prepared for single digit at times.
Below is a picture of the Accumulated info, I am going by the cars calculation and not by the full tank to full tank approach.

If FE is a major concern the other option is an Electric Vehicle. I was very close to get MG ZS EV instead of the Alcazar however for the following reason I did not.
1. I stay in a rented apartment
2. Was not able to upgrade to 3Phase power
3. Did not want to connect the 15amp plug all the time for charging
4. The Alcazar's Gadgets got me hooked
Hyundai Alcazar Review-fe_screen.jpg
yajaman99 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 15:09   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankShaft05 View Post
Thanks mate, for your thoughts on this. I have reached out to 2 more dealers in the last 4 months and nobody had a petrol head available. All the 3 dealerships i visited said they cant commit any timeline on the availability of petrol AT. Iam ok with diesel and badly need to upgrade my car and hence decided to go ahead with deisel AT
same things I also observed. I booked petrol AT last week and today got the email that wait time is 4 to 5 months, while I was committed 2 months wait time max till last week. Also I am told that diesel AT is available and can be delivered in next 2 3 weeks.

Are they trying to clear the diesel stock and then come up with 2ltr diesel may be
Old 10th March 2022, 15:22   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
If FE is a major concern the other option is an Electric Vehicle. I was very close to get MG ZS EV instead of the Alcazar however for the following reason I did not.
1. I stay in a rented apartment
2. Was not able to upgrade to 3Phase power
3. Did not want to connect the 15amp plug all the time for charging
4. The Alcazar's Gadgets got me hooked
My drive will be mostly in cities around 30km round trips weekly and shorter trips on other days. Occasional monthly 300km trips and yearly 2-3 trips of 1000 kms+.

Though I am prepared for low FE of around 9-10, but don't want to end up with 5 to 7. That was one of the reason I didn't go for jeep petrol. (Also petrol AT gearbox reviews were not encouraging).

Coming to electric, we have Nexon, Hyundai Kona and MG, Nexon, Kona are small. So it leaves me with only MG ZS. Not entirely convinced to go electric yet. Also it's MG. So I have my reservations.

I would have loved to go for any petrol hybrid option if available. Toyota seems to be working on one. If it is coming in next one year, I can wait and manage my requirement with 2nd hand car.

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th April 2022 at 07:23. Reason: Typos, punctuation [+ minor trimming in quoted text]
nadbe is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd March 2022, 14:47   #289
BHPian

It's more than one and half months since coming home, and my 7-seater Signature variant Petrol AT Alca (I like that name by @jazzrockz ) has seen about 1500 on the dash including three long highway drives. Some quick impressions:
  • I have driven only in comfort mode, and the drive is smooth. Any additional power required to overtake is available on tap and delivered smoothly by the responsive engine.
  • A few have mentioned about inadequate AC cooling, but I have found the AC pretty good, so much so that after 15-20 mins of driving, I am usually reducing fanspeed. I do agree that 2nd row cooling through vents placed on front seat arm-rest console may not be as good as compared to overhead vents. There was a time once when I thought the AC had completely broken down, but I quickly realised I hadn't actually depressed the AC button at all, so only the fan was running.
  • The fuel efficiency seems to be a hot topic - I get 10 or less in city and the max achieved on the highway is 20kpl so far. I guess this may get better after the first service.
  • I would prefer Google maps any day compared to the maps/navigator on the dash. Most times you would be searching endlessly for destinations which otherwise pop up effortlessly on Google maps. Sometimes you will also find the directions provided by the navigator are downright weird (I was once asked to drive away from a destination which was just a left-turn away). And not to mention the funny instruction that you often get to 'take a U-turn, if possible'
  • The boot space with 3rd row down is awesome (that's how I drive all the time), but when you have to pull up the 3rd row, the space drops drastically. Clearly, you can move 5 people plus their luggage or just 7 people.
  • Am yet to get used to at least some of the fancy gadgetry. Have been driving for 25 years using the rear-view mirrors and my own judgement, so am yet to get the hang of the camera feed that comes on when you switch on the indicators. Same with the voice activated features. But the ventilated seats are a life saver on a hot day, and so are the 360 degrees camera.
  • All these years abroad, I mostly drove with the cruise control on, using only my finger. But here I have rarely used the cruise control, making me strongly suspect the utility of this feature at all in India.
  • The 2nd row leg room is pretty good even with reasonably tall passengers in the 1st and 2nd rows. Most of those in my family are average height, so on the couple of occasions I had to use the 3rd row, I could slide the 2nd row slightly forward and create a bit more legroom for the 3rd row. The sliding 2nd row is a nice feature.

And I have to mention about the scratch that a neighbour's maid delivered to my car in the parking lot using her cycle through sheer negligence. It's about a centimeter long and thin, but easily discernible from a distance. Now I am in a fix whether I should keep the scratch as an 'anti-charm' or get it removed during my first service.

Overall, it has been exciting to drive the Alca, and I am no doubt enjoying the drives to the extent the Indian roads allow me to enjoy.
sraghavan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 23:43   #290
BHPian

Quote:
I am using the Alcazar 1.5 AT 6S in Bangalore
Quote:
Originally Posted by sraghavan View Post
It's more than one and half months since coming home, and my 7-seater Signature variant Petrol AT Alca
Hello happy owners, as a potential buyer I was hoping you could address one big concern I had about the car.

I recently took a test drive and everything went very smoothly - loved the interiors and the gadgets. The car is a huge step up from my current Hyundai Venue. However, it pains me to acknowledge one serious shortcoming - the flimsy centre console. While it did flex a lot (which I do not really mind at this price point) it made horrible creaking noises because of the generous use of piano black plastic. Now, one might think why is that an issue? Well I like to lean my left leg against the console and every time I apply even the slightest pressure the creaking noise begins. In addition, I don't know if this issue will get worse with regular wear and tear of the vehicle (or when going over road bumps).

After the test drive, I confirmed the same issue with the display models and the uber popular Creta. What is funny is that my entry-level Venue comes with a solid centre console devoid of any cheap piano black plastic and creaks.

Is the above issue present in your vehicles too?
solaris007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 10:19   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris007 View Post
Hello happy owners, as a potential buyer I was hoping you could address one big concern I had about the car.

While it did flex a lot (which I do not really mind at this price point) it made horrible creaking noises because of the generous use of piano black plastic. Now, one might think why is that an issue?

Is the above issue present in your vehicles too?
This is an interesting observation. I did not notice any such noise in the Test drive cars I drove (Petrol AT and Diesel AT). However in my vehicle I do get a slight kind of vibrating sound and if I tap the center console with my left knee all is quite for some time. Then it repeats. I did mention this to the service personnel at 1000KM service but I was in a hurry so it did not get checked in detail.

I have covered 6000KM so far and with me starting to commute to office 3 days a week this will increase. Yes it does get a little annoying but when you are driving in Bangalore traffic there are other things to worry about.

The car is great to drive in city traffic, Sports mode does give you that 1sec of adrenaline rush at times.

The gadgets are great but over time you get used to them. I love the full digital instrument panel.
FE is good on the Diesel in the past 3 days, driving in non Bangalore rush hour for approx. 35KM one way, FE aprox 16 to 18 KM/L as per the car's calculation.

Things I wish the Alcazar had:
1. A powered Tailgate with foot release
2. Wireless Android Auto

This is my first vehicle which has Android Auto and it is really good to use. With Alcazar coming with wireless charging wireless Android Auto should have been a no brainer by Hyundai.

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th April 2022 at 07:30. Reason: Minor formatting and reorganising paragraphing for better readability.
yajaman99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 09:43   #292
BHPian

Quote:
it made horrible creaking noises because of the generous use of piano black plastic.
After reading your post I personally got into the car to check. I am slightly built, so when I lean my left leg against the console, it doesn't even move a bit, let alone creak. However when I purposefully pressed my leg against the console with force, yes, it does creak a bit. But personally I don't think it's a big issue. Several panels on the car may creak that way when pressed with force.
Old 28th March 2022, 15:04   #293
BHPian

Quote:
However in my vehicle I do get a slight kind of vibrating sound and if I tap the center console with my left knee all is quite for some time. Then it repeats.
I did mention this to the service personnel at 1000KM service but i was in a hurry so it did not checked deeply.
I have also been facing the issue from the day we got the vehicle. Even after the service, this has not gone. I was thinking of observing this for few more days and then later see to get it escalated.
what I was guessing is that since the product is New, this might take some time for the Plastics to settle down. Given the heat we are having in Bangalore these days , I am hoping that the plastics settle down soon.
msksalman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 02:02   #294
BHPian

Quote:
the flimsy centre console.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msksalman View Post
I have also been facing the issue from the day we got the vehicle.
Centre Console creaking sound issue is widely reported in Creta too. I own a Creta 2020 Diesel AT and have the exact same issue, started at may be around 6k kms. While taking turns, my left leg presses against the console area causing this annoying sound in an otherwise silent cabin. I expect Alcazar to have similar issue.

It is reported by other members and widely in Facebook groups too. Service centre also acknowledged the issue, but were of the opinion that opening the console could lead to other minor sounds post fixing it back.

One of the suggested fix is using WD 40 spray, I am yet to try it out.

It is highly unacceptable to have such plastic quality, especially considering the pricing. Not sure if its a cost cutting or a design issue, but hopefully Hyundai will correct these mistakes.
srikanthmadhava is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 11:03   #295
BHPian

Just did a short trip to the kokan coast (Diveagar). Lovely empty roads, particularly when you expect it to be nonexistent. Brand new wide concrete ghat roads. O' what fun it was to drive on them, when you are solo. Tangoed for a short distance with a Skoda Kodiaq, mild stuff. This wagon is nothing like a sedan, but you learn to adjust and adapt and make it work. Invoke your inner 'Sabine'.
And YES, the creaking sound is there, in the twisties, when you lean into the turns and your left leg puts pressure on the panel there. But I was enjoying the ghats too much to get irritated with it.
Came back with a car load of kids and sand. Very sedate drive back. Learnt how to work the Automatic when going uphill. Its been a pure pleasure this 2L car, for just cruising, or over bad roads or a bit of Hyde. Its returned about 11+kmpl in the ghats even with all the corner carving, which is a pleasant surprise.

(Folks driving this ways watch out for cattle on these wide and low traffic roads.)
jazzrockz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 19:31   #296
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadbe View Post
Team,

I am finalizing Hyundai Alcazar petrol AT signature. How much FE should I expect. As such my yearly running will be less than 8k with 80% city driving. Although my running is less, don't want to get stuck with 5 6 kmpl mileage.

If petrol AT are bound to reach 5 to 6 mileage after around 1 2 years of usage, I may consider diesel. Will help in resale as well.
Apart from the FE part, have you considered the possibility of NCR like ban on diesel cars older than 10yrs in other parts of the country? I am seeking opinion of fellow bhpians on this.
Old 5th April 2022, 19:46   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm View Post
Apart from the FE part, have you considered the possibility of NCR like ban on diesel cars older than 10yrs in other parts of the country? I am seeking opinion of fellow bhpians on this.
No I don't think so. But I am nobody!

State governments have a mind of their own. They may use this strategy if they think it will increase their pocket size without affecting their votes.

By the way, whosoever created this 10 year rule is an exceptional team. It ensures that people do not buy diesel vehicles for mileage benefits.
Combined with 1 lakh additional cost of Diesel vehicle, it will be impossible for non taxi operators to get any benefit in 10 years from a rarely driven car, and by that time their registration will expire.
Old 5th April 2022, 20:47   #298
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
No I don't think so. But I am nobody!

State governments have a mind of their own. They may use this strategy if they think it will increase their pocket size without affecting their votes.

By the way, whosoever created this 10 year rule is an exceptional team. It ensures that people do not buy diesel vehicles for mileage benefits.
Combined with 1 lakh additional cost of Diesel vehicle, it will be impossible for non taxi operators to get any benefit in 10 years from a rarely driven car, and by that time their registration will expire.
So If one thinks logically, one should buy a diesel vehicle for personal use only if
1) They would use the car extensively and recover the additional investment in say 5yrs of time.
2) Want to enjoy the torque and doesn't cares about a possible ban in future.

By the way, if in any state such a rule is implemented, politicians would be the first to suffer losses as they own mainly big diesel SUVs( it's another thing that such losses wouldn't matter much for them).
Old 5th April 2022, 20:52   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

By the way, if in any state such a rule is implemented, politicians would be the first to suffer losses as they own mainly big diesel SUVs( it's another thing that such losses wouldn't matter much for them).
That will be a truly historic day when we will see big politician pay for fuel at the petrol pump

In my hometown, most of the petrol pumps are owned by politicians or someone connected
Aviator_guy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 21:18   #300
BHPian

Quote:
So If one thinks logically, one should buy a diesel vehicle for personal use only if
1) They would use the car extensively and recover the additional investment in say 5yrs of time.
2) Want to enjoy the torque and doesn't cares about a possible ban in future.

Yes, actually there was a calculation; that you will recover this 1 lakh extra down payment of a Diesel car only if you drive more than 35k kms per year. With Petrol vehicles becoming more fuel efficient, introduction of turbocharged petrol cars and Diesel prices getting dereglated, it does not make sense to buy a Diesel vehicle in any city if you drive less than 35k kms per year.
Of course, if one really likes Diesel vehicle or he fills the car with heavy weights, he will not care.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks