Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2022, 18:32   #541
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Alcazar Review

Came back after a 3500 kms trip through Gujarat and Rajasthan.

Had been to the border posts at Nadabet(Gujarat) and Tanot(Rajasthan) to see the neighbors on Diwali .

The Diesel engine just pulls and pulls and reaches triple digit speeds easily.

The economy was however a bit low to my expectations considering i was driving alone and was mostly cruising at 100 to 120 km/hr.

Filled 4 tank full's and got an average of 17.1 ,17.5 ,16.9 and 17.6 .

And each time the mileage indicator on the cluster has a positive error of ~2.8 to 3 km/l when compared to tankful to tankful calculations.

The best mileage was achieved with diesel filled in from Reliance BP bunks.

Using cruise control hurts the mileage if the terrain isn't flat. Because the cruise control system downshifts and accelerates rapidly to achieve or maintain the set speed. It is really really aggressive, as if it has a time to keep.

The Dark knight looks gorgeous and has a cool gangster vibe to it at night. People do give it a second look at petrol bunks. Guess they are not aware of this model from Hyundai. Some even walked over ,peeked in and asked a couple of questions about the car .
Many were impressed by the all digital instrument cluster and the theatrics it does when it switches the drive modes.

I feel the quality of plastics,switches,dashboard layout is leagues ahead of the XUV700(which i had in the comparison list) .Keeping the belief that Hyundai does make /have the best quality plastics/dashboard out there.

The 360 degree did prove its mettle when i entered pathan(gujarat) and all the roads were choked. While other SUV's struggled to get through the lanes and were leaving huge gaps with pavements , i could easily reduce the gaps by looking at the 360 degree camera feedback on the screen and move on.

Brakes are good for 1 or 2 passengers but i believe they could have been better .
I believe the Apollo's also play a part in the stopping power.

The drive modes do make a difference in the way the vehicle accelerates too.

The auto hold feature is a boon in stop and go traffic. If the wait is too long then i also switch to Neutral while the auto hold is still on. One does not need to press the gear shift lock when switching between Drive and Neutral so its easier though its a danger too because i once accidently switched it to neutral when i was coasting at 20km/hr.

Odo stands at 75xx at the end of 25 days of ownership.
callmeneo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 19:49   #542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeneo View Post
i was driving alone and was mostly cruising at 100 to 120 km/hr and got an average of 17.1 ,17.5 ,16.9 and 17.6 .
Maintaining 90 in highways I was seeing close to 19. So no surprises seeing 17s for 100-120. Seems to be efficient if you are driving on 6th around 70 kph, which no one will really maintain. I remember i20 diesels weren't high on FE either. Guess you have to learn to live with it

Quote:
Using cruise control hurts the mileage if the terrain isn't flat. Because the cruise control system downshifts and accelerates rapidly to achieve or maintain the set speed. It is really really aggressive, as if it has a time to keep.
Don't do that, lest you want to be disowned by your family

If you had set cruise at 90 and RES from 60, it is going to violently accelerate. In AT it will drop a gear or 2 in the process. In MT, the RPM will rapidly shootup. This is the logic across cars and has nothing to do with gradients you are negotiating. Same behavior will happen on plains as well.

For a smooth experience, do the acceleration yourself and RES at minimal difference to set speed.

Another reason is you will lose control for those few seconds, which is not a good thing.

Specific to gradients, cruise will try to maintain the set speed +/- 1 kph. So the RPM will marginally increase to negotiate the gradient. When we accelerate we tend to subconsciously maintain RPM, that's why you'll see you are catching up cars with cruise on gradients.

Quote:
Odo stands at 75xx at the end of 25 days of ownership.
300 km/day ? Nice!
narayans80 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 20:07   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravkumar View Post
After driving over 6K KM across several South Indian states,
Can you share the average FE acheived during the trip ?
Also any specific reason to choose the 2.0 rather than the diesel?
Old 2nd November 2022, 20:07   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

If you had set cruise at 90 and RES from 60, it is going to violently accelerate. In AT it will drop a gear or 2 in the process. In MT, the RPM will rapidly shootup. This is the logic across cars and has nothing to do with gradients you are negotiating. Same behavior will happen on plains as well.

For a smooth experience, do the acceleration yourself and RES at minimal difference to set speed.

Another reason is you will lose control for those few seconds, which is not a good thing.

Specific to gradients, cruise will try to maintain the set speed +/- 1 kph. So the RPM will marginally increase to negotiate the gradient. When we accelerate we tend to subconsciously maintain RPM, that's why you'll see you are catching up cars with cruise on gradients.

300 km/day ? Nice!
Thanks .

With regards to the gradients ,i wasn't clear i guess. The way it maintains the rpms (increases with increase in gradient) to maintain the speed is a bit inefficient and i believe this is with all the cars and not just the Alcazar and hence the drop in mileage when CC is used on roads with multiple gradient changes.

And yes ,its always better to reach the set speed and then engage the cruise lest your family thinks that you are on a mission against time And if this is your first car with a CC then it will surely catch you unaware and you will feel the entire world is being turned upside down to reach that set speed .
callmeneo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 20:43   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The way it maintains the rpms (increases with increase in gradient) to maintain the speed is a bit inefficient
Correct, that is how it works and it meant for convenience not efficiency as most interpret it to be. If you have the IFE on display, you can see it drop and max out as you climb up and down respectively.

If you want to hypermile, A pedal modulation is the way to go.
Old 3rd November 2022, 22:36   #546
BHPian

I took delivery of my Phantom Black - Diesel - Automatic variant Alcazar 20 days back. The delivery process was smooth. While the SA was giving us a walkthrough of the features, i found a few issues which were subsequently addressed on a later date.

1. The 12V socket and the wireless charger were not working.
2. While the demo was on, the SA inadvertently clicked on software update and it started updating. We waited patiently for it to complete, however even after 1 hour it had reached only 20%. The SA had no clue as to how the update can be stopped mid way as the update screen did not allow any input. Even after the car was turned off, the screen was on and it still continued to stay at 20%. We called up the service Center to understand how it can be rectified. They assured me that if i bring the vehicle to the service Center, they will rectify the issue within 15 mins. Sentimentally, i did not feel that i should take the car to the service Center right after the delivery and hence i asked them to disconnect the battery and reconnect it which then reset the update and then i could use the system.

After the SA explained the features and Bluelink was setup, i rode home and took the car to the temple for Pooja. Overall ride quality was smooth and plush. Since i was driving in heavy traffic, my average speed was around 20kmph and the initial FE was around 8kmpl on day 1. The trip from the showroom to home was around 17 kms.

Couple of days later, i did a 1000 kms trip from Chennai to Coimbatore and back. I took the Chennai - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Salem - Coimbatore route. The roads till Vellore was not great and were filled with potholes. But i could really see the difference in the way Alcazar handled over my earlier BRV and City. The ride quality was extremely plush and i really was enjoying the drive. However, when i crossed 80kmph speed, i realised that the car was vibrating heavily. I could feel that the steering and the gearbox was vibrating a lot. I was worried that something was wrong with the vehicle, but there were no error codes / warning in the instrument cluster. When i dropped the speed to less than 80 kmph the car was absolutely smooth. I tested various modes (comfort, Eco, and Sports), but still, same was the case. Then i tried increasing speed to 90/100 kmph and found that the vibrations were not so pronounced, but would still exist. I initially thought it must be the tyre pressure and found that the tyre pressure was at 45psi (i forgot that Alcazar had this feature and did not check this before until then). I immediately found a fuel station and reduced the tyre pressure, hoping it will sort the issue. That wasn’t the case. The car still kept vibrating heavily post 80 kmph.

I made the round trip and after coming back to chennai i took my car for the 1st free service. The service engineer were extremely polite and took down my concerns in a note pad. He assured me that all the issues will be sorted and the car will be delivered the same day.

Through the Bluelink app i could see that the car was tested multiple times at speeds over 80-100 kmph. Finally by 4 in the evening i got the message that the service was complete and i could take the car back.

I was told that all my concerns including the 12V and wireless charger were rectified. And mainly the vibration issue was sorted out. Apparently, the vibration was on account of wheel alignment issue. Once they rotated the tyres, the issue was resolved. And for the socket and wireless charger, they had by mistake not connected the wires. Not sure why QC doesn’t pick issues of this sort. Even when PDI’s are done, i feel issues of this type is hard to catch before delivery.

I have now done close to 2k kms in about 20 days and i feel i have chosen the right one. Alcazar is practical in terms of size, space, comfort and is highly efficient. Btw it returned 23kmpl on my trip to Coimbatore and back. Within City and with normal traffic, it gives me 13 to 14 kmpl. And with extremely heavy traffic where you just spend time idling, it has returned 10 kmpl. I couldn’t have asked for more.

For my car, i have purchased the following from the dealer at the time of delivery:
1. Full floor mats (Velcro)
2. 3D mats on top of the full floor mats - I had 7D mats on my BRV, i found it inconvenient to take out and clean as it had plastic locks that had to be inserted everytime.
3. 3D boot mat
3. Sun Visors

Post delivery, the very next day i took my car for partial PPF (Bonnet, Bumbers, Front fenders, OVRMs and Door edges).

I have also got Garware icecool on the front windscreen and Sunroof and got Wurth70 on all others. i could already feel the difference and i am happy with the choice i have made.
Vikashmalya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 12:22   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikashmalya View Post
I took delivery of my Phantom Black - Diesel - Automatic variant Alcazar 20 days back. The delivery process was smooth.

Post delivery, the very next day i took my car for partial PPF (Bonnet, Bumbers, Front fenders, OVRMs and Door edges).

I have also got Garware icecool on the front windscreen and Sunroof and got Wurth70 on all others. i could already feel the difference and i am happy with the choice i have made.
Congrats .

Couple of questions : how much did it cost for the Partial PPF and sun films?
Also do the sun films help in reducing the head lights glare from the oncoming traffic?
Old 5th November 2022, 11:09   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats .

Couple of questions : how much did it cost for the Partial PPF and sun films?
Also do the sun films help in reducing the head lights glare from the oncoming traffic?
I was given various options on PPF with 2,3,5, and 7 years warranty. The prices vary depending on the PPF you choose. I chose Garware premium which costs 600 per SQF. For partial PPF you would need at least 80 to 100 SQF..

For the Sunfilm, the Garware icecool is around 4500 and Wruth 70 around 3500.. this doesn’t include the sunroof.

I was given a good discount on the overall pricing.

The can confidently say that the sunfilm does reduce lot of heat. I did not have any sort of sunfilm on BRV and with the sunfilm now, i clearly see vast difference. As the car is new, the windshields do not have any scratches and for now there are no glares while driving at night. I am too sure if this is on account of the sunfilm.

Last edited by Vikashmalya : 5th November 2022 at 11:14. Reason: Updated answer to the query
Vikashmalya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 11:02   #549
BHPian

After so many validations, test drives and confirmations, zeroed on Alcazar and taking delivery on coming Sunday.
Alcazar is definitely not the best product in the segment, but there is no other car that is as balanced as an Alcazar fulfilling my requirements.

I am very much thankful to @Vikashmalya, @Naetik30 and @vkivaturi for responding to my queries.

Alcazar Signature ( O ) D AT 7str in Taiga brown.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Alcazar Review-img20221111wa0000.jpg  

Last edited by Hickstead : 11th November 2022 at 11:04. Reason: Corrections
Hickstead is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 11:50   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
After so many validations, test drives and confirmations, zeroed on Alcazar and taking delivery on coming Sunday.
Alcazar is definitely not the best product in the segment, but there is no other car that is as balanced as an Alcazar fulfilling my requirements.

I am very much thankful to @Vikashmalya, @Naetik30 and @vkivaturi for responding to my queries.

Alcazar Signature ( O ) D AT 7str in Taiga brown.
Congratulations @Hickstead. You made the right choice. The Alcazar is not given enough credit. After 14k kms in 6 months I am very happy with my choice.

There is really no competition for Alcazar in the price bracket for me. The only other options I would consider are - non existent ones - (1) MG Hector with Diesel Auto and a non-laggy infotainment screen (2) Jeep Compass with a larger interior/boot space and about 5Lakhs cheaper (3) XUV 700 with better put together interiors.

Originally I was waiting for new Tucson to launch for almost a year. And ended up buying the Alcazar when the delay was too much. But seeing the Tucson in the flesh (+ about 17 Lakhs costlier than Alcazar), I am not bothered.
Naetik30 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 00:36   #551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post

Hyundai Alcazar Review

The Hyundai Alcazar has been launched in India at a price of between Rs. 16.30 - 20.15 lakhs (ex-showroom, Delhi)...

...and Typhoon Silver:
This is quite a comprehensive thread since when Alcazar was launched. Rated 5 stars as the Thread commands. Been immensely helped by various topics discussed here.

I was itching to go back to Diesel Manual combo. After much deliberations, I have booked Alcazar Signature 6S Diesel in this amazing color (Typhoon Silver). I am looking for suggestions and shared knowledge around following points -

1) Insurance : Dealer quotes upwards of 1L for insurance (Own Damage 1 yr + 3 yrs Third Party + Zero depreciation cover). This is quite steep as compared from online quote I got from Acko (same combo of 1 yr own damage + 3 yrs Third Party and Zero Depreciation) which was around 42K.
So, (a) Does it makes sense to negotiate since the gap is quite high or defer and get it done outside?
and (b) Is there any advantage of insurance from dealer OR disadvantage when insurance is done from other providers?

2) Ceramic coating / PPF / Hybrid : I am inclined towards a Hybrid solution like overall ceramic coating with PPF for front bumper, hood, side mirrors and boot. Any suggestions on product / detailer?

(3) Tyres upgrade : I am keenly following the Alcazar Tyre upgrade thread (Hyundai Alcazar | Tyre upgrade options) and yet to investigate availability of Michelins for 215/55 R18 (stock size) - as I feel that the stock size is adequate for the 'adequate' engine in the variant. And that the better rubber will enhance comfort and drivability while keeping the rolling friction low. At (low) sidewall ratio of 55, combined with suspension dynamics and weight of Alcazar, what have been the experiences so far? Roads in Bengaluru, especially near my abode, makes one wonder if the only vehicles to be allowed to ply in the region are Tata Hexa or Duster.
Old 15th November 2022, 04:45   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldian View Post
I have booked Alcazar Signature 6S Diesel in this amazing color (Typhoon Silver). I am looking for suggestions and shared knowledge around following points -

1) Insurance : Dealer quotes upwards of 1L for insurance (Own Damage 1 yr + 3 yrs Third Party + Zero depreciation cover). This is quite steep as compared from online quote I got from Acko (same combo of 1 yr own damage + 3 yrs Third Party and Zero Depreciation) which was around 42K.
So, (a) Does it makes sense to negotiate since the gap is quite high or defer and get it done outside?
and (b) Is there any advantage of insurance from dealer OR disadvantage when insurance is done from other providers?
Congratulations!

About insurance - Dealer insurance is always inflated and either you can ask them to match outside quote you have or purchase insurance on your own. There is significant savings in both these options ( easily 30-40%) so no harm in exploring. I'd recommend first option if possible so that all the paperwork can still be handled by dealer.

One of the features of dealer insurance is that it gives you cashless and quick claim processing at all Hyundai service centers across India. While this is true but there are insurance providers who have cashless tie-ups so you can go for them and still get cashless facility. Many online quotes (Acko, Digit etc) are low price because they may not offer widespread cashless network as some of the established providers do. So please do some research before finalizing.

From personal experience, you may face some resistance from dealer the moment you bring this topic as they get fat commission on insurance. So be prepared to test your negotiation skills!

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 15th November 2022 at 04:59.
Old 15th November 2022, 09:56   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Congratulations!

One of the features of dealer insurance is that it gives you cashless and quick claim processing at all Hyundai service centers across India. While this is true but there are insurance providers who have cashless tie-ups so you can go for them and still get cashless facility. Many online quotes (Acko, Digit etc) are low price because they may not offer widespread cashless network as some of the established providers do. So please do some research before finalizing.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Nice pointer to check availability of cashless tie-up with Hyundai. I must have a back-up in case negotiation with dealer goes sideways.
Haldian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 16:37   #554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldian View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience. Nice pointer to check availability of cashless tie-up with Hyundai. I must have a back-up in case negotiation with dealer goes sideways.
Yes, it's always good to know network garages and cashless options. FYI Last time I enquired with Acko, they couldn't give me straight answer about their network list. In fact, their website FAQs also has no list to share. Found something amiss and hence went with ICICI for peace of mind (it was still good savings over dealer quote).
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Alcazar Review-screenshot_20221115163257_chrome.jpg  

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 15th November 2022 at 16:39.
Aviator_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 20:22   #555
BHPian

Is a facelift of Hyundai Alcazar expected in 2023 with additional features like ADAS ? I see speculative articles on some websites. I am considering booking an Alcazar this week, but don't want to be disappointed that I could have waited for the facelift. There are no dealer offers at all on the 2022 Alcazar so far, my booking will be at the full price.
rvlkiran is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed