Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2021, 06:30   #1651
BHPian

Hello everyone ! Finally, I am here, writing my very first post on Team-Bhp, I have been a visitor of the forum for many years. This forum is such a great platform for us enthusiasts and others as well.

I was very keen on joining the forum since long but didn't, but a recent turn of events really pushed me to send out a joining request.

Background

I had an i20 petrol (2015) and it was really serving me well for the past 1,43,000 kms with absolutely zero breakdowns and I had no plans of upgrading. During the ownership the i20 had seen the beautiful landscape of Lahaul & Spiti thrice, to my surprise it also fared well during a drive over fresh snow in Narkanda once, did a couple of trips to Sangla & Chitkul, numerous trips to lower hills in Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand besides the highway runs in northern India.

After three days of non stop snow showers in Batal :

Skoda Kushaq Review-687.jpeg
Skoda Kushaq Review-409.jpeg
I've made a lot of beautiful memories with this one, which I'll always cherish.

The day

Everybody in the world was looking forward to 2021 for a fresh new start after the covid, we had also slowly started our inter-state travel for work.

During one of the work trips, on 12th January 2021, I met with an accident in Kalesar National park while I was on my way to Dehradun through Paonta Sahib.

I was with my business partner, and he had just got done with booking the hotel over a call and we were having a casual chat, it was around 7:30 PM, there were no street lights and as usual oncoming traffic with their high beams on, I made an error of misjudging a left curve and when I realised it was already too late and now we were on the shoulder of the road, which had a lot of loose debris, I could do nothing to stop the car from falling down the hill, I held on to the steering and closed my eyes, our car flipped while falling down and landed on it's roof, hitting a tree, finally killing the momentum. None of this happened in slow motion, it happened too quickly.

Both of us were conscious and quickly checked on each-other if everything was okay, I could taste my own blood, which made me realise that I was injured, the airbag had popped out and I could smell the explosives and saw the smoke as well, the i20 was continuously chiming and the engine had turned itself off.

I quickly unbuckled and got out, my fellow passenger wasn't able to unbuckle, so went to the other side and helped him come out.

Once out, we realised that we were in a mess, I had lost my phone during the accident and the co passenger had no network, we tried asking for phone from passerby's but there were reluctant, finally a good samaritan helped us make a few calls.

Key takeaways from the accident

• Worn tires, although still under the limit, but the tires were out of their perfomance envelope
  • Being prepared is important, not panicking can make a huge difference during such mis-happenings
  • I had a long day that day and I think that could have affected my focus

The next morning, my car was brought out of the ditch with help of a crane, once it was out, I quickly opened the bonnet to check on the internals and saw a pretty big hole in the engine block with a lot of other damage and I said it to myself that it's a total loss, took the car to the nearest Hyundai workshop and an estimate of around 12.5 lacs was made and the guy confirmed it will be a total loss but told me that the final call remains with the surveyor.

I was traumatised and was physically and mentally drained, my cousin had come with his friends, to help me out with all of this and we went home.

Little did I know that it has just begun, the insurance guy called me the next day for a statement and few basic documents, which I provided. I had my insurance with New India Assurance and it took me 5 months of continuous emailing, followups, documentation to get my claim, they had numerous reasons every week to delay the settlement. I would suggest each on of you to go through your insurance policy very very carefully while you get your motor insurance and should know how to exercise your rights in such a situation, the insurance people will try to negotiate hard with you in such cases and would want you to get frustrated and just take their offer.

Meanwhile, all of this happened, in the background I was continuously planning on how and what would I buy, for me a car is a companion and after I lost my i20, I felt like I had lost a close friend.

A few pictures of the damaged vehicle :

Skoda Kushaq Review-51239.jpeg
Skoda Kushaq Review-51151.jpeg
Skoda Kushaq Review-51149.jpeg
Skoda Kushaq Review-51144.jpeg

The Good Part

I was test driving different cars and I was very sure that I wanted a well built, solid car, which could handle well, I was also very keen on a turbocharged petrol engine.

Skoda had been talking about the Kushaq for months and it was on my radar, but I was a little skeptical about the prices and the A.S.S.

I had Creta in my mind as a good upgrade, since I had been using a Hyundai for more than 10 years and I connect well with the brand overall.

Also, checked out the Thar, it looked beautiful in red colour but sat inside and was not very happy with the space, the waiting period of 9 months was a little too much for me as I wanted the car asap.

Kushaq was launched in the end of June and I got my hands on one a few days later and that very day I decided that I am buying the Kushaq. I liked how it drove over the broken roads and the TSI was impressive as well.

Booked the 1.0 TSi MT in Honey Orange in early August and got it delivered in the end of the same month.

Initial Impressions

• Kushaq feels solid on the highway and it makes you feel you're in complete control
  • TSI is one heck of an engine, the kind of progress it can make on a highway is impressive, the engine sounds good when it's revved
  • Small and medium sized potholes don't really disturb the composure
  • Noise insulation is pretty good
  • I really liked the throw of the LED lights during the highway drives
  • Very fuel efficient

EPC Issue

Let me address the elephant in the room, while I was making this purchase, I was well aware of the EPC issue.

The EPC light eventually came on my vehicle at around 2200 kms while I was in Himachal, I was able to drive back to Delhi though, I wrote to Skoda and my fuel pump was replaced along with a firmware update.

I've moved on quickly from this and enjoying each kilometre on my new car.

I've also noticed that post pandemic, almost every manufacturer is facing issues with QC, like for example, one of my friends had a failed clutch in his new Creta and every other day we keep hearing about something or the other with other brands as well.

Fuel Efficiency

While, this was not a parameter I considered while I was weighing my options, it really is a boon to have a fuel efficient car, keeping in mind the rising fuel prices.

I'll let the pictures talk here :

Skoda Kushaq Review-img_2284.jpg
Skoda Kushaq Review-img_2285.jpg

With this kind of fuel efficiency, I can easily pull 750 kms on a full tank while still being left with enough fuel to be on the safer side. I usually drive between 80-100 on highways and occasionally rev on smaller gears.

Engine, Gearbox, Suspension

Engine is one of the highlights of this vehicle, I have not driven the 1.5 TSi and I'll only talk about 1.0 TSI, the engine simply punches above it's weight, much above. You can never guess the size of the engine the way the Kushaq drives, the 3 cylinder is surprisingly smooth as well, mine is a manual and the gearshifts are short and one would like playing with the gears.

Small and medium potholes aren't a problem anymore, I keep the tyre pressure at 33 on all four corners. At high speeds it is stable and it gives you a good sense of control.

Somewhere in the Himalayas :

Skoda Kushaq Review-img0154.jpg

5000 KMS :

Skoda Kushaq Review-img_2261.jpg

Built Quaity

Kushaq is nicely put together, paint quality is one of the best in the segment IMHO, to early to comment on but there are no rattles anywhere whatsoever, you won't hear any suspension sounds inside the cabin, I really liked how the cabin is insulated from all the outside noises and engine & gearbox noise as well, didn't really like the piano black finish inside as it can get scratched very easily and I feel with time, it'll loose it's lustre.

Safety

The Kushaq hasn't been through the NCAP yet, but with all the electronics on board, it should fare well in the tests, I appreciate how Skoda has given ESP, XDS+, EDL,MSR as standard equipment.

Talking about XDS+/EDL, I actually felt it working on a curve, and it felt very stable and reassuring.

Braking

The pedal feel is likeable, had a close shave on the highway and the brakes did okay, however I've been noticing a lot of brake dust on my alloys, it may have something to do with the pad material or their softness. I'll have to give it more time to really draw a conclusion on the brakes.

In-car Entertainment

I am not very impressed with the audio quality, I would rate it average, Apple Car Play and Android Auto works seamlessly, in settings you have options for lights, wipers, door lock/unlock, tyres, the user interface is smooth and resolution is good. Sygic is the built-in maps (available on Skoda app store), it gives you options to download the maps for all Indian states, once you have it, you don't need the internet, so far I've downloaded maps for 4-5 states, however, Sygic is not so smart like Google Maps, if you don't follow the route suggested, it fails to re-route and keeps suggesting you to go back to the previous suggested route only, you wouldn't want to completely rely on Sygic.

P.S. Rear view camera quality has improved post the firmware update.

Quality of After Sales Service

I took my car to Brite Skoda, Noida, for the fuel pump replacement, and spent a good 3+ hours there, the staff was courteous. I haven't been to a Skoda service centre before, so won't be able to compare but in absolute terms, I have nothing to complain, after the fitment of the new pump, they tested the fuel pressure with a pressure gauge for a while and observed and cross checked if everything was okay multiple times through OBD port.

The service centre has also told me to use normal 91 octane petrol and according to them there's no need for 95 RON, however, the manual says that 95 RON is the recommended fuel and 91 RON should be used only in emergencies.

According to Skoda's online service cost calculator, my first service should cost INR 3739 (without labour) and the second one INR 7444 (With labour), please note that the service intervals are 15000 KMS. IMHO, the service cost seems reasonable as long as the service advisor doesn't add up extras.

Skoda also lets you check the cost of spare parts on their website.

Noise, Vibration and Harshness

Once you start the Kushaq, there is a slight vibration for around 20 secs and then the engine settles to a silky smooth idle, you don't hear much of engine sound inside unless you wring it, and once you do, you're going to like the way it sounds, the Kushaq literally glides on roads and you'll always feel like you're going slower than you actually are, on the 6th gear at 100 KMPH, the drive is relaxing and there's no audible wind noise or engine noise.

Driving Position and Ergonomics

All seat adjustments are manual in the Kushaq, and it could be a little bothersome if multiple people are going to be driving it, however once adjusted, seats are comfortable and offer good support. You can see the bonnet while you're driving and that gives you a sense of control and reminds you that you're driving a SUV/Crossover, steering has wide range of travel in both rake and reach and makes it easier to set it the way you like, road ahead has a good visibility, ORVMs do cover the road but they could've been better and could've offered a better visibility.

What I Like

• Suspension Tuning
  • TSI Engine
  • Various electronic safety features
  • The space inside
  • The exterior design, we can expect it to age well
  • Powerful LED headlights offer sufficient visibility
  • Fuel efficiency
  • Overall built quality

What Could've Been Better

• I have a feeling that the airconditioning is slightly weak for our tropical climate
  • ORVMs could have been bigger
  • Missing on electronic seat adjustments
  • Stock audio speakers could've been better

In the end, it all comes down to making memories and spending good time with your loved ones.

I will continue to update this thread and will keep you posted on how the journey unfolds, thank you for reading.

Keep safe !
KharbandaKartik is offline   (150) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 09:09   #1652
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Nice and crisp review. Thanks for sharing.

Thank god you escaped with minor injuries from the terrible accident you went through. Night driving in India is hazardous to the extreme, and IMHO should be avoided as much as possible.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 11:04   #1653
BHPian

The best part is that you didn't let the mishap stop you from driving and moving ahead in life. Although I have my own set of reasons and reservations around Kushaq, thread like yours help to remove the enormous negativity around the product and the overall experience.

Good luck and keep munching the miles!!! Looking forward to 15k service report as the first pit stop.
headbanger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 11:27   #1654

Quote:
Originally Posted by KharbandaKartik View Post

Fuel Efficiency

While, this was not a parameter I considered while I was weighing my options, it really is a boon to have a fuel efficient car, keeping in mind the rising fuel prices.

With this kind of fuel efficiency, I can easily pull 750 kms on a full tank while still being left with enough fuel to be on the safer side. I usually drive between 80-100 on highways and occasionally rev on smaller gears.

Can you share any details on F.E while driving most of the part in city?

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd October 2021 at 19:11. Reason: Quote tags fixed
R_throttle is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 14:09   #1655

Nice & crisply written.
I am quite surprised with the FE of Kushaq.18-20 kmpl is very good,rather outstanding.Please share more about the purchase price, freebies and other purchase associated experiences.
Wish you lots of safe n happy trips.
Old 23rd October 2021, 14:35   #1656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_throttle View Post

Fuel Efficiency

Agree with author on all of the points he mentioned about Kushaq.

I also get similar efficiency on highway, in my recent trip from hyd- warangal, i got 19.5, and full roundtrip with in city travel, came at 17 as per MID.
maverickNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 15:47   #1657
sbm
BHPian

20kmpl on a 500km trip that too with an avg speed of 48kmph..that's something even my Baleno finds hard to achieve. This is something that's going to weigh in favour of the Kushaq especially when the fuel prices are on the rise every day. I have few questions though
1) What was the road condition during this 537km trip. Was it the proportion of highway and city in this trip?
2) Were you driving with the aim to achieve high fuel efficiency of in regular driving style?
Thanks in advance
Old 23rd October 2021, 16:01   #1658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
Nice and crisp review. Thanks for sharing.

Thank god you escaped with minor injuries from the terrible accident you went through. Night driving in India is hazardous to the extreme, and IMHO should be avoided as much as possible.
You're absolutely correct, my night driving has come down considerably post accident, we were extremely lucky that we survived.

One of the reasons why everyone should wear a seatbelt at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_throttle View Post
Expect a 13-14 km/l if you're within the city limits and your drive is on the shorter side, it could hit 15-15.5 km/l if your drive is longer.

The long term picture of the fuel efficiency, which I have shared in my original post is 70% highway and 30% city.

All in all, with the Kushaq you'll be happy with the fuel efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm View Post
20kmpl on a 500km trip that too with an avg speed of 48kmph..that's something even my Baleno finds hard to achieve. This is something that's going to weigh in favour of the Kushaq especially when the fuel prices are on the rise every day. I have few questions though
1) What was the road condition during this 537km trip. Was it the proportion of highway and city in this trip?
2) Were you driving with the aim to achieve high fuel efficiency of in regular driving style?
Thanks in advance
This is from a recent trip from Delhi to Jaipur, it was 90% highway and 10% city.

Not at all, I've never driven with an aim of achieving high fuel efficiency, I always make sure that I am having my share of fun, I usually cruise between 80 -100 km/hr and occasionally rev till 4000 rpm.

Note from Support: Please DO NOT post back to back on the same thread for individual responses. Use multi-quote instead. Thanks.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd October 2021 at 19:12. Reason: See mod note.
KharbandaKartik is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 18:08   #1659
BHPian

Quote:
Booked the 1.0 TSi MT in Honey Orange in early August and got it delivered in the end of the same month.
Many congratulations on your new car. I love this color.
Good decision on opting out Creta. Skoda makes safer cars any day.

Quote:
The EPC light eventually came on my vehicle at around 2200 kms....
I've moved on quickly from this and enjoying each kilometre on my new car.
Every newly launched car has its fair share of issues, the audience can only rant about and dwell in an ocean of complaints, But a true owner always gives it a second chance. Glad to know that all is well. There was so much of fuss about this, but Skoda has walked that extra mile to do justice here. Also these are the opinions which we should rely on, a clear GO ahead from an owner.

Quote:
one of my friends had a failed clutch in his new Creta and every other day we keep hearing about something or the other with other brands as well.
This is yet another issue from Creta which is not spoken about at all. I heard many complaining about this, but unlike Kushaq and Harrier no fuss about this anywhere.

Overall a very happy post from you, glad to know that you and your new car are doing great. Wishing you many happy miles and smiles.
skyocean is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 18:10   #1660
BANNED

I am in complete agreement on fuel efficiency of Kushaq 1.0L. My reported FE is consistent to the previous posts. It is important to note that this FE is not after sacrificing engine power and torque. I would also like to share the stability of Kushaq on Highways and Village roads by way of a video. Not to miss the LED projector head lamps flooding the road during night time driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq Review-img20211023wa0000.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-img20211022wa0009.jpg  

kapursaket is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 18:20   #1661
BANNED

Quote:

Kushaq was launched in the end of June and I got my hands on one a few days later and that very day I decided that I am buying the Kushaq. I liked how it drove over the broken roads and the TSI was impressive as well.

Initial Impressions

Unvarnished ownership views which inspire confidence in Kushaq. A must read for all prospective buyers who are being misguided by social media educated experts.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd October 2021 at 19:09. Reason: Please do not quote long posts in entirety. Inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks.
kapursaket is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 21:24   #1662
BHPian

Finally glad about hearing something positive after hearing so much negatives about the car. Nicely written. Wishing you many more happy miles on your car. The color looks beautiful.
Old 23rd October 2021, 22:42   #1663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
The best part is that you didn't let the mishap stop you from driving and moving ahead in life. Although I have my own set of reasons and reservations around Kushaq, thread like yours help to remove the enormous negativity around the product and the overall experience.

Good luck and keep munching the miles!!! Looking forward to 15k service report as the first pit stop.
Thank you! I am glad it is helping.

I’ll keep you all updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel@makrand View Post
Nice & crisply written.
I am quite surprised with the FE of Kushaq.18-20 kmpl is very good,rather outstanding.Please share more about the purchase price, freebies and other purchase associated experiences.
Wish you lots of safe n happy trips.
My purchase price was 14.65 lacs on-road with a Noida registration and there were no freebies, since it is a recent launch, I bought my vehicle from Brite Skoda, Noida and my experience was fair and they agreed to most of my requests, before making the payment I did a PDI with one of my friends and had especially asked them not to use my vehicle for test drives, at the time of delivery my vehicle had an ODO reading of 35kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyocean View Post
Many congratulations on your new car. I love this color.
Good decision on opting out Creta. Skoda makes safer cars any day.

Every newly launched car has its fair share of issues, the audience can only rant about and dwell in an ocean of complaints, But a true owner always gives it a second chance. Glad to know that all is well. There was so much of fuss about this, but Skoda has walked that extra mile to do justice here. Also these are the opinions which we should rely on, a clear GO ahead from an owner.

This is yet another issue from Creta which is not spoken about at all. I heard many complaining about this, but unlike Kushaq and Harrier no fuss about this anywhere.

Overall a very happy post from you, glad to know that you and your new car are doing great. Wishing you many happy miles and smiles.
Thank you so much ! I love this shade of Orange as well ! I feel each brand is good in it’s own way and none of them can make everybody happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapursaket View Post
Unvarnished ownership views which inspire confidence in Kushaq. A must read for all prospective buyers who are being misguided by social media educated experts.
I am glad that you’re able to relate to my post.

Well, sir, that is the power of social media. The less I say the better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorkey View Post
Finally glad about hearing something positive after hearing so much negatives about the car. Nicely written. Wishing you many more happy miles on your car. The color looks beautiful.
Thank you ! Overall it is a great product, the brand is trying hard to make things work, let’s give it a chance
KharbandaKartik is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 08:40   #1664
BANNED

Factual position of Kushaq and Taigun 999cc TSI Engine

]The international engine of the year award is like the Oscars of the automotive industry; maybe even more prestigious. Automotive manufacturers around the world spend decades in research and development of their engines, trying to find the perfect balance between performance, reliability, efficiency and regulation compliance. And while it isn’t exactly easy to make a large engine efficient and powerful, it is certainly easier than doing it with a tiny one. There are packaging restrictions, a general limit on how much power you can extract from it and you also run the risk of overworking the engine, compromising fuel efficiency and reliability.
In 2018,*VAG*won the engine of the year award in the sub-1-litre class, with the 1.0 TSI engine (Kushaq and Taigun).
The new three-cylinder turbocharged engine is more compact than before courtesy a smaller cubic capacity, and more modern construction. It is also lighter, weighing just under 90kg, thanks to aluminium pistons and hollowbored con-rod journals. The engineers have also done away with the balancer shaft to keep the weight low, and used lightweight components in the engine, which are also stiffer so reliability is not compromised. Speaking of reliability, the 1-litre TSI engine is also more robust with a forged crankshaft and con-rods, and integrated camshaft and valve covers. The crankshaft bearing has been coated with polymers to reduce friction during ignition and switching off the engine, while the cylinder head has been designed to ensure quick warm up in cold conditions, also aiding the longevity of the engine.
Volkswagen has also modified the design of the intake port so there is a high flow rate, without affecting the quantity of the flow itself, while the swirling flow helps in ensuring a good air/fuel mixture to get more efficient combustion. The optimised pattern of injection also ensures that all load and speed conditions can be met with the least amount of fuel.
There are also multiple injection patterns depending on cold starts, or the engine being under load at low revs — while climbing a steep slope for example.
The turbocharger is fairly small so it spools up quicker, and the circuit length of the intake system has been kept as short as possible to maximise responsiveness. The integrated exhaust manifold allows for the exhaust gases to be used more efficiently and quickly to spool up the turbo. All of this adds up to an incredibly engaging driving experience. The small engine has plenty of grunt and accelerates hard, it enjoys being revved out but at the same time, can be driven and enjoyed sedately. The three-cylinder layout also adds in its characteristic soundtrack – a rorty note that accompanies the bump in performance rather well. All of this means that the 1-litre TSI can cater to the enthusiast, as much as it can to those that are enthusiastic about fuel economy.
kapursaket is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 09:27   #1665
BHPian

Quote:
During one of the work trips, on 12th January 2021, I met with an accident in Kalesar National park while I was on my way to Dehradun through Paonta Sahib.

I was with my business partner, and he had just got done with booking the hotel over a call and we were having a casual chat, it was around 7:30 PM, there were no street lights and as usual oncoming traffic with their high beams on, I made an error of misjudging a left curve and when I realised it was already too late and now we were on the shoulder of the road, which had a lot of loose debris, I could do nothing to stop the car from falling down the hill, I held on to the steering and closed my eyes, our car flipped while falling down and landed on it's roof, hitting a tree, finally killing the momentum. None of this happened in slow motion, it happened too quickly.
The damage to the shell visualizes what a ghastly accident it was. Thankful that you were safe and escaped with minor injuries from that!
And I applaud your courage to get back on the horse ( Steering wheel ??! ) so quickly, as most less-confident drivers would have been left shaken.
Going by the way Kushaq's advertisement is popping up frequently on Prime TV recently, I think that Skoda is also confident that the EPC issues are behind it and trying to push Kushaq into TOMA (Top Of the Mind Awareness) again.
Here is to having a lot of happy miles on the Kushaq.
careind is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed