Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2021, 08:01   #1726
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
Hey folks. Happy to inform that I am getting the below beauty on coming Wednesday. It's 1.5 TSI.
Got the stickers as well to complement my purchase . Planning to stick LTD and got BHP? Stickers once I get my beauty.

Thank you mods. Received the consignment safely without any damage. Got to applaud the packaging
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq Review-img20211107075458.jpg  

arunramaswamy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 17:09   #1727
AYP
Senior - BHPian

So, last week I came across these 2 white SUVs parked together and I promptly captured the moment-

Skoda Kushaq Review-20211030_151429.jpg

Skoda Kushaq Review-20211030_151443.jpg

Skoda Kushaq Review-20211030_151437.jpg

Gotta say, all the talks about the lack of road presence made all the more sense to me. Now I have seen the Kushaq before as well, but other than the side profile(especially in the lower variants with plain alloys/wheel covers), you don't really take the size of the car as an issue. However, in the context of the Nexon, the Kushaq does appear 'tame'. You don't get the same feeling when you see a Creta or a Seltos parked next to a Nexon or a XUV 300. I'd say that the Kushaq is the Venue in its segment. Yes, it does belong to the same segment, but has the least amount of 'SUV look' among its peers.

Now while the size issue might matter to some people, if I were looking to buy a car in this segment, it'd be a tough choice between the Kushaq 1.5 TSI, the Seltos 1.4 GDI and the Creta diesel, all in their manual guise.

Last edited by AYP : 7th November 2021 at 17:16.
AYP is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 16:11   #1728
BHPian

My SA in Noida is promising "immediate" delivery for the 1.0 style or ambition. With all the news about certain cars being sold out for 2021, it does make you wonder why the Kushaq is available so easily.
abhi_ank is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 20:08   #1729
BHPian

My brother @SedanGuy bought Rapid in January of this year. In September, after an inspired session with my friends I decided to sell my 8 year old Swift Dzire. After a quick checkup with Cars24 and OLX autos, I sold it for way more than I expected.

Suzuki Swift Dzire
Model - 2013 September
OTR price - INR 6,85,000
Odo - 83000
Sold - 2021 September
Sale price - INR 4,15,000

Honestly If I had got 3 lakhs, i was willing to give it away. The price offered by these platforms and the huge demand for used cars ensured I received a very compelling offer. I was bummed when the car was inspected on Sunday and sold/retrieved on Wednesday. Bittersweet though!

Now off to buying a new car. The excitement was off the charts but short lived though. The details of my requirements has been documented in the What car section(sedan).

Link (Need a sedan! Sold my Dzire with no backup plan)

Here is a brief explanation on my confusion -

My requirements were so simple, yet I couldnt find a car to my satisfaction. In fact, I abandoned every one of my requirements to buy the Skoda Kushaq.

1. 4 cylinders and nothing less.
2. Also if possible, only naturally aspirated
3. Petrol engine
4. Sedan, no 4 meter cars and false sense of SUV styling (sorry don’t mean to offend anyone, I am not a fan of small/compact SUVs)
5. 4 stars or above safety ratings
6. Budget ~12 lacs with not really looking to extend

Must have features:
1. Apple car play
2. Climate control
3. Nothing else really. I can live with lesser creature comforts

Good to have features:
1. Keyless entry
2. Automatic wipers, they are a boon in Bangalore weather
3. Climate control with analog controls

It doesnt come as a surprise that Kushaq pretty much fails in all of my requirement specification. It’s a 3 pot turbo petrol and a crossover. The AC controls are obviously not analog. No keyless entry or Auto wipers/headlamps either.

You must be thinking what made me chose a car which doesnt match any of my requirement, glad you asked! I was specifically looking for a sedan and a proper one at that. Below are the cars that made the final list:

1. Honda City 4th and 5th Gen - The latter was above my budget but had decided to extend if it came to it. I did a longish test drive of the car and was thoroughly disappointed with the interior quality of the test drive car. The car had done 10/11K on the odo and the piano black was scratched all over. The interiors had kind of faded! We took our Rapid to the test drive and it felt as though the City was a downgrade in terms of the quality. There was no heft to the doors or the finesse I had expected in the car. The LED headlamps was also exclusive on the top trim. The space on offer and that engine are the best parts of the car. However, it was not meant to be. After the 5th gen, I really didn’t think 4th gen would be any different and didn’t want to take a test drive and neither was it available in Dakshin Honda at the time I visited the showroom.

2. Skoda Rapid/VW Vento - Rapid was pretty much ruled out immediately since brother had one and only Matte edition was available. I really didnt like that colour. I received some good offers on Vento but the comfortline variant(similar to Skoda's ambition variant) was unnecessarily expensive compared to Skoda. The fact that VW charges more for the same part in VW cars and Skoda was also not something I liked. Vento did pull at the heart and the torque converter 1.0 TSI was very likeable. I had actually made a deposit of 25k on the car before seeing the Taigun and Kushaq.

3. Polo GT TSI - This was simply trying to stick to budget and be happy with the best hot hatch in the country. There was no denying that the TC with 1.0 TSI is a gem of a combination. Obviously not as great as the 1.2 TSI with DSG but this is a lot more trouble-free experience. The only downside to this car was the huge waiting period. I was promptly told that it would be at least 6 months before I can get a car. One of the dealer was not ready to take the booking and was pushing me to buy a Vento which was a showroom display car(2 lakhs flat discount and the car had apparently 60 kms on the odo). It was in this brown colour that I was not a fan of either.

Some of the honorable mentions that made it to the list were:

1. Hyundai Verna - the car had poor rear space and the facelifted version was not to my liking.
2. VW Taigun - The car is basically a clone of Kushaq except for the front and rear panels. This was also due to 2 month waiting period and was offering lower features compared to Kushaq Ambition variant.
3. S Cross/Ciaz - Fellow bhpians suggested to look at these but I had owned 2 MS cars already and really wanted to look outside the family for a change. Besides to build quality was a real concern despite both being GNCAP 4 star rated.

Back to my question, how I bought a crossover instead of a sedan. Simply put the market doesnt offer a good one, yet! The Skoda Slavia is yet to be unveiled but I didnt have the patience to wait for it and second I was sure that the car would be more expensive than Kushaq. I had already stretched the budget to 16 lakhs and I was sure the Rapid replacement would be more expensive.

Here’s a quick look at my Skoda Kushaq (RedBull, totally pun intended!)

Likes-
1. Build quality - Compared to all the cars on my list, this really is built solid.
2. Interiors - I like how the interiors are dark and to my liking. There are some parts that could have been better but overall, it’s a great place to be
3. Rear space - The rear bench is equally a good place to be and is very comfortable
4. 1.0 TSI - It’s a slightly tuned version of the same engine in our Rapid. This feels a little more controlled compared to the Rapid. I think the weight might be a difference, but it feels very slightly different in the Kushaq. Nonetheless the engine is surely fun to drive.

Dislike-
1. Absolutely no analog controls anywhere. There is no rotary knob on the dash for volume control. There is no button on the steering to pick up an incoming call! Didnt realize this until I bought the car.
2. Clutch - It is slightly heavier than most cars. It’s not a dealbreaker but something people need to be aware of. It does get cumbersome in stop/go traffic.
3. Skoda's limited service centers - Bangalore has only 2 service centers.

I have had the car for roughly 12 days now. I have done around 200 kms and yet to take it on a proper drive. Here are a few pictures to do the remaining!

The day I visited the showroom, I was floored by the colour and the lighting did the rest. We had a carbon steel Rapid, so that colour was out of the contention. Plus I wanted something bright this time around.
Skoda Kushaq Review-1.jpg

PDI in TAFE stockyard:
Skoda Kushaq Review-5.jpg

Day of delivery with my father.
Skoda Kushaq Review-2.jpg

We only have a single car garage, so got the canopy installed to ensure the car is protected from the elements.
Skoda Kushaq Review-3.jpg

Below pictures are post ceramic coating.

Skoda Kushaq Review-4.jpg

Skoda Kushaq Review-6.jpg

Skoda Kushaq Review-7.jpg

Skoda Kushaq Review-8.jpg

Skoda Kushaq Review-9.jpg

Skoda Kushaq Review-10.jpg

Skoda Kushaq Review-11.jpg

Skoda Kushaq Review-13.jpg

Thats all folks! I will update the thread with more details once I have had more time behind the wheel.

Last edited by ramgkulkarni : 9th November 2021 at 20:31. Reason: typo
ramgkulkarni is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 14:29   #1730
BHPian

Took delivery of my beauty today. It is 1.5 manual. My initial impressions are as follows:

1) Build is good. Much better than the Verna I had. Has serious heft to the body.

2) NVH is exceptional. Outside noise was cut-off completely. Engine noise was bare minimal as I revved till 2500.

3) Gear changes were slick and slots in beautifully. However, there is a noticeable juddering when when pressing the clutch in 1st gear to slot to second.

4) Steering is light at city speed and is easy to maneuver. But it is not even close to the Kicks hydraulic unit. That was on a different level.

5) Ride quality was definitely an upgrade over my Verna. The ride was mature and did not get unsettled even on deep pothole. Suspension was neither soft nor hard and came somewhat close to what I experienced in Kicks.

6) plastic quality could have been better. Switches did not feel premium for the money spent. AC was quite ordinary. Will have tough time during summers. Will have to surely checkout the sunfilms.

7) Sunroof size was bigger than the usual sunroof. Not panoramic.

Few picks from delivery attached herewith. Will post more later and share updates as I get acquainted with the beauty.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq Review-img20211110112051.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-img20211110112053.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-img20211110112114.jpg  

arunramaswamy is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 08:50   #1731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
Took delivery of my beauty today.
Congrats again!

Quote:
NVH is exceptional. Outside noise was cut-off completely. Engine noise was bare minimal as I revved till 2500.
IIRC, the engine note was barely audible when on idle even from the outside and more refined than the 1.3 HR13DDT as the revs climb.

Quote:
Gear changes were slick and slots in beautifully. However, there is a noticeable juddering when when pressing the clutch in 1st gear to slot to second.
Was your Verna a diesel? By juddering, are you implying that the car is jerking or you find a strain in the gear lever to slot to second?

Quote:
AC was quite ordinary. Will have tough time during summers. Will have to surely checkout the sunfilms.
The major chinks in the armor - Average AC and narrow cabin width. How's the functionality of ventilated seats? I hope the Kushaq has tinted glasses and applying a sunfilm, will that raise concerns?
eccentric is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 09:04   #1732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentric View Post
Congrats again!
Thank you my friend

Quote:
IIRC, the engine note was barely audible when on idle even from the outside and more refined than the 1.3 HR13DDT as the revs climb.
A 100%. I felt Kushaq to be more refined than the Kicks even when revving. I also felt the gear shift to be lots better than in Kicks. Ride was more or less the same. However, steering feel was not even close to Kicks' hydraulic unit. That was pure unadulterated bliss. Took me back to my Qashqai days in Sydney.

Quote:
Was your Verna a diesel? By juddering, are you implying that the car is jerking or you find a strain in the gear lever to slot to second?
Mine was a 1.6 petrol. By juddering I meant jerking when I depress the clutch to shift to 2nd.

Quote:
The major chinks in the armor - Average AC and narrow cabin width. How's the functionality of ventilated seats? I hope the Kushaq has tinted glasses and applying a sunfilm, will that raise concerns?
I am not sure if the Kushaq windows are tinted or atleast it did not seemed like that to me. Ventilated seats functions very well with less noise. However, it is only 2 speed unlike Verna's 3 speed unit.

I will observe more closely the next time and will update here with my findings.
arunramaswamy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 18:03   #1733
BHPian

Came across this new upload from Evo India on YouTube. For fellow driving enthusiasts who had made their choice as the 1.0L MT variant of the Kushaq - for whatever the reasons - the info shared in this video is like music to the ears

And with my Style 1.0L MT's delivery being confirmed for the following Wednesday, I must say that this upload was perfect timing!
rideon74 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 22:24   #1734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Gotta say, all the talks about the lack of road presence made all the more sense to me. Now I have seen the Kushaq before as well, but other than the side profile(especially in the lower variants with plain alloys/wheel covers), you don't really take the size of the car as an issue. However, in the context of the Nexon, the Kushaq does appear 'tame'.
To me size isn’t everything. Looking at these photographs, I feel the Kushaq design is much better: it has style, it has class. It is clean and unpretentious. The proportion is also much better. The Nexon looks round.
Guite is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 22:30   #1735
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
To me size isn’t everything. Looking at these photographs, I feel the Kushaq design is much better: it has style, it has class. It is clean and unpretentious. The proportion is also much better. The Nexon looks round.
Different stokes for different folks. You are entitled to your own opinion. No one can tell you otherwise, just how no one can stop someone else from posting pictures comparing the size of 2 vehicles.

Now commenting about the looks of the car wasn't the point of my post at all but since you have brought it up, I completely agree with you about the Kushaq looking much better. As far as the proportion is concerned, from the side view, the Nexon actually does look more proportionate to me inspite of its shorter length. There is just something off about the Kushaq's side profile to my eyes. I didn't have the same feeling when I saw the Taigun.
Old 12th November 2021, 08:07   #1736
BHPian

AutoCar magazine has published a scoop that Kushaq headliner would be changed to a better quality one.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq Review-autocar.jpg  

K.grg is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 11:51   #1737
BHPian

Happy to see this. Autocar seems to be the unofficial firefighter for Skoda India. Hopefully word reaches them about the ac vent adjusters too. They are way too flimsy for the car and the brand.
abhi_ank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 12:14   #1738
BHPian

Hope they also add dynamic guidelines to the rear view camera. I am used to the dynamic guidelines in my 2015 model year Creta and is the single biggest reason for me to not even test drive the Kushaq though I am ok with the rest of the package. Complaints about the ac vents and noise while raising the windows are other minor irritants which would be good if they are rectified. Premium pricing definitely warrants premium fixtures.
thesilentone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 12:20   #1739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.grg View Post
AutoCar magazine has published a scoop that Kushaq headliner would be changed to a better quality one.

Is it expected to be updated / re-fitted for existing owners of the Kushaq?
Old 12th November 2021, 13:15   #1740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramgkulkarni View Post
My brother @SedanGuy bought Rapid in January of this year. In September, after an inspired session with my friends I decided to sell my 8 year old Swift Dzire. After a quick checkup with Cars24 and OLX autos, I sold it for way more than I expected.
Looks good in red !

You can use the right scroller on the steering to answer/decline calls.

Last edited by bblost : 12th November 2021 at 13:43. Reason: reduced size of quoted text. Thanks.
KharbandaKartik is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed