Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2021, 17:39   #2026
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Same is the case with me. I tried hard to get the mini kit worth 8k but the sales guy was not ready for anything.
Old 18th December 2021, 18:07   #2027
BHPian

Finally booked the 1.5 Style DSG 6 airbag variant. Delivery is mostly in January end or early February. As per SA, there is a scheduled plant shut down in the last 2 weeks of December.

Hope the roof liner, AC vents and the door handles quality is improved in the new lot. I am still ok with the roof liner, but the inside door handles and AC vents, which will be used daily, need a serious update.

Last edited by Aditya : 21st December 2021 at 05:25. Reason: Spacing. typos, punctuation
crazyro is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 20th December 2021, 12:33   #2028
BHPian

We went on a 700km drive with friends on the Kushaq 1.0 TSI Style Manual transmission. We were five adults with a full load of luggage including beverages - the car was loaded to the brim. We drove across the city, 300km highway and around 20kms through broken roads. Here are my thoughts:
  • Excellent engine/gearbox combination. I should explain this a bit. There are moments when the 1.0L TSi did struggle a little on the highway. But these are actually not so frequent. The best part is that the integration is so good that it is fairly fun to explore the engines' limits. Sure the noise does increase at high RPMs, but the 1.0TSi delighted with its character. It is definitely faster than most cars that you would encounter on your highway drive.
  • Interiors are quite pleasing and have a little Germanic feel with their layout.
  • The sound system is quite nice and was quite competitive across various genres. The MM is also quite modern, smooth, and slick to touch. The same mature, European feel is carried over in the interface. Once you settle down at a comfortable pace, it was a pleasure to listen to the speakers.
  • The car feels fresh! This to me is a big plus
  • Excellent storage all around with huge leg space. We, five adults, had no issues keeping our wallets, phones, drinks, etc.
  • 2nd-row width is limited. If five full adults' long drive is a priority, this would be an issue.
  • With sedate driving 100-120kmph on highways and moderate city driving we clocked ~15kmpl with a full load - 5 adults + luggage.
  • Skoda doesn't seem to have skimped on the basics - suspension is stable and predictable. At very high speeds it stood out by its stability and holding the line. The ride was good too. So, well balanced it is in driving dynamics. Around the tight turns, it is a little hatch-like with stable predictable behavior. Nice!

In all, this car has a lot to love in it. It is a pleasure to drive, is quite practical to use, has nice audio, well-sorted dynamics, elegant styling, etc. In this ocean of Suzuki/rebadged avatars and Korean cousins, this car clearly is as competitive as the best in its segment with a refreshing Skoda take on things. I really hope that the Skoda Kushaq succeeds. For my next car purchase, Kushaq is already placed on my mental list.

Last edited by Trapezio : 20th December 2021 at 12:35.
Trapezio is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 15:51   #2029
BHPian

Took the test drive of Kushaq 1.0 MT last weekend. Some questions still linger from the test drive experience. I felt that the throttle response was not very refined, there was a reluctance in the engine to pull along. There were three people in the car, and the drive was in full traffic (as I prefer since the usage will be only in the city for work commute). The engine felt better at higher RPMs in a relatively free'er stretch, but in the typical Bangalore traffic, it did feel inadequate. I felt that I had to constantly switch between 1st and 2nd gears in traffic. Secondly I went over a few bad patches very gently and a few others a little harsh, as one might inadvertently do over normal usage. There was a significant thud over a few potholes, and while I never really misuse any of my cars, this thud from was a little concerning. So my questions are -
  • Is the 1.0 MT adequate in the city traffic conditions and will it lug along in 2nd without riding the clutch? Was this perhaps just the state of the test car.
  • How is the suspension in real world conditions? Given that none of the roads will get better for a while at least, I expect that my cars will go through the bad patches for a year or more while all the "white-topping" is done.

In addition am I better off with the AT? Its a steep price increase over the MT, but the car is for my wife, who really does not want a MT car. I do not see this car being used in the highways at all. I have a Linea T-Jet that will do all the highway duties for our home.
kirans is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 20:25   #2030
BHPian

Came across this article regarding the cylinder de-activation tech in the 1.5L Kushaq:

https://www.carblogindia.com/skoda-k...on-technology/

But the video link embedded in the article to be of low quality. Did a quick search on YouTube and found this video from VW having better clarity and very detailed (obviously, it's by Germans ):

Thought this would be of interest for members who've taken ownership of that wonderful 1.5L engine in the Kushaq.

Cheers!
rideon74 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 22:09   #2031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnarain View Post
I have two questions.

2. My second question is about the three beeps (audio notification) that seems to indicate a gear shift. It is super annoying. I was able to turn the notification volume down by turning the navigation volume down. But has anyone figure out what the sound actually is, and how to turn it off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon74 View Post
As for that pesky gear shift notification - I tried everything to switch it off. But no go. There's no mention of how to turn it off in the manual either. It really is very, very annoying - especially when it breaks into the flow of the music being played

If any of the fellow Kushaq owners have found a work around, do share and earn eternal thanks.
I had a three quick ding chime in my 1.5 TSI MT. I uninstalled all the Škoda apps (downloaded via the vehicle App Store) and now there is no chime. See if this works for you.

On a side note: Any ways all those apps were useless and my Apple car play with Google maps and Spotify are my go to all the time. Also I can activate Siri just my saying “Hey Siri” without pressing the voice activating button which is so convenient to me.
KapilD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 10:33   #2032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapilD View Post
I had a three quick ding chime in my 1.5 TSI MT. I uninstalled all the Škoda apps (downloaded via the vehicle App Store) and now there is no chime. See if this works for you.
Ding chime is originating as a notification alert from the Sygic app installed in the car infotainment system. One can disable the notification of this app or since for most of us, google maps are the preferred one which also comes with offline mode, we can just remove Sygic altogether.
DragonHawk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 11:19   #2033
BHPian

1.5 TSI STYLE MT 800 KM update

The car has a very good road manner and i’m beginning to appreciate it more and more. The experience so far in brief is as under:
  1. The car can easily potter around the city in 3rd gear from 15-45 kmph without playing the clutch. So I find the drivability very good.
  2. Once the 500 odd km was achieved, I find that the engine goes into Eco mode more frequently. So I guess the engine has settled in a bit. I see it in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear in the city. Any higher gear and the rpm drops below the 1400 mark: so no ACT in city in 5th
  3. The mileage has increased from 9 kmpl to 11 kmpl over these 800 kms with an average speed of 20 kmph, which I find is acceptable. It should increase more once I add more miles to it.
  4. There is no door squeaking any more after the rubber beading were changed. So I guess it’s production issue is sorted.
  5. I find it easier to go at a higher speed over the road imperfections. The slower I go the more it sways. So, slowly my bad road tackling speed is increasing but I don’t know if it’s a good thing for the suspension.
  6. The steering feedback is much muted compared to my Polo GT TSI where it was so much more communicative wrt what’s happening with the tyre grip. However, there is no lack of confidence. Absolute leech grip. In fact i’m itching to go for a twisties drive.
  7. Leech grip short story: Had a short highway drive wherein we were overtaking traffic on alterate lanes, like a snake, at speeds of 70-80 kmph. My wife was seated in the back seat and she commented “It feels like the seat bottom is stuck to the ground. There is no pendulum movement felt. Only the shoulders feel a little bit of the movement. Nice feeling! Good that we bought this car and not any other”. And I was grinning from left to right
Here are some pics:

The day 1 photos:

Skoda Kushaq Review-02dbbb7fd572462eaf753416b50a23a3.jpeg

Skoda Kushaq Review-a7a535a37009491b9957796b6e8da961.jpeg

Office Parking: early arrival

Skoda Kushaq Review-5deb2f317e174577b555ea3b756f76ec.jpeg

Early Morning Wash

Skoda Kushaq Review-745546281eb84463b466083f3a67e7b8.jpeg

Turtle Wax Ceramic Coating (DIY) beading

Skoda Kushaq Review-3efa5f39cdc642019f6584691334deca.jpeg

Skoda Kushaq Review-5cf197ff50ff4e75b0be567726dfa599.jpeg

Long term mileage

Skoda Kushaq Review-371bfa5e2f6940fa8693be0a0d7b294c.jpeg

Fuel Efficiency Chart

Skoda Kushaq Review-c278d47f2cd14b37bb1884e2ba23e2b0.png

Skoda Kushaq Review-c94146ea062c42f09c76c3698e39fd1f.png

Skoda Kushaq Review-eefb6d841846471f87c1e7c2cbd46c85.jpeg

Based on the above, the “car long term” is way above the long term average but the recent refuel of average is much better than the long term. 12.81 KMPL for the last 600 odd KM.

Holiday is coming.. so Christmas Tree Lighting!

Skoda Kushaq Review-798db8f788054fee98981227e4a0f252.jpeg

Last edited by KapilD : 21st December 2021 at 11:38.
KapilD is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 11:37   #2034
BHPian

I will be taking delivery of my Kushaq 1.0 MT Ambition on 23rd December. This variant comes with 205/60 R16 where as Style comes with 205/55 R17. I am planning to go with tyre size of Style on my Ambition. Will it cause any issues in terms of drivability. Please suggest.
ramsudhir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 18:14   #2035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsudhir View Post
I will be taking delivery of my Kushaq 1.0 MT Ambition on 23rd December. This variant comes with 205/60 R16 where as Style comes with 205/55 R17. I am planning to go with tyre size of Style on my Ambition. Will it cause any issues in terms of drivability. Please suggest.
There won't be any such issues(experts please correct me) but the ride quality would become harsh as the side wall of 17 inch wheels is lesser than that of 16 inch wheels. Moreover 17 inch tyres are expensive, so you would have to spend more at the time of replacement.

If you don't like the design of the alloys get them painted glossy black or opt for any other 16 inch alloys which are available at the dealer, as aftermarket ones might void warranty(confirm this with your dealer)
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 19:06   #2036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirans View Post
  • Is the 1.0 MT adequate in the city traffic conditions and will it lug along in 2nd without riding the clutch? Was this perhaps just the state of the test car.
  • How is the suspension in real world conditions? Given that none of the roads will get better for a while at least, I expect that my cars will go through the bad patches for a year or more while all the "white-topping" is done.
In addition am I better off with the AT? Its a steep price increase over the MT, but the car is for my wife, who really does not want a MT car. I do not see this car being used in the highways at all. I have a Linea T-Jet that will do all the highway duties for our home.
I got my car delivered last Saturday. I have driven around 100Km in Bangalore over the weekend and I found that in slow moving traffic, you might need to down-shift to 1st gear if you don't want the pesky autowala to cut you off. The 2nd gear doesn't lug enough at low RPMs. In light-traffic situations the 3rd gear can handle almost anything thrown at it (except for overtaking at lower speeds).

I felt that the suspension and the ride comfort are good. Of course, on certain bumps, you do feel it in the cabin, however, it didn't seem like a big issue.

About MT/AT, I'd suggest going with your wife's choice if she is going to be the primary driver. Bangalore traffic can get tiresome fast especially with the bigger vehicle. Also, the clutch has a long travel which might add to the woes.
NikhilosKage is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 20:48   #2037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilosKage View Post
The 2nd gear doesn't lug enough at low RPMs. In light-traffic situations the 3rd gear can handle almost anything thrown at it (except for overtaking at lower speeds).
You are right. In hindsight it does seem that the 2nd gear is missing the right ratio especially in slight inclines. I'm more used to the torque of my Fiats and probably biased.

The cost difference between the Active (~13.5L) and Ambition AT (~17.5) is huge. One might pick up a good second hand car with just that difference in price! Thanks for the clutch feedback as well, it does help me with making a decision.
kirans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 21:54   #2038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapilD View Post
I had a three quick ding chime in my 1.5 TSI MT. I uninstalled all the Škoda apps (downloaded via the vehicle App Store) and now there is no chime. See if this works...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Ding chime is originating as a notification alert from the Sygic app installed in the car infotainment system. One can disable the notification of this app...
And...it worked! Who would've thought the culprit was the Sygic app of all the things? Anyways, no more triple dings ruining the music playing while driving.

Since I'm a man of my word, you both get what I'd promised in my query:

Name:  59349318.jpg
Views: 1805
Size:  23.0 KB

rideon74 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 07:24   #2039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajiisworking View Post
There were small stretches that I was doing under a 100 and I could see the average kmpl climb quite easily.

I suppose you could put it down to heavy right foot, plus terrible 100 kms between Chennai and Arcot. Also the Nice toll junction isn’t fastag enabled on any end, significantly impacting idle fuel consumption.

And yes, at first opportunity I would be on the wrong side of 100 every time.
Ok. Just completed another highway run from Chennai to Yelagiri and back. This was a day trip as we wanted to do the Swamimalai trek.

Distance covered was 430 kms. I was careful with speeds and never touched 100. Cruise was set at 95 and where CC was disengaged, I did not cross 95 too. Two passengers and no luggage. Tyre pressure set at 34 psi with XP95. I got a healthy 16 kmpl with my 1.0 AT.

I am happy with this but I had to dig deep into patience reserve to maintain those speeds. Engine was way under 2000 rpms.
balajiisworking is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 10:48   #2040
BHPian

Anyone seeing this error in the My Skoda Connect app?
Been a few days since I took delivery, but haven't managed to go beyond this screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq Review-screenshot_20211223194746508_com.skodaautoindia.myskodaconnect.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks