Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2022, 13:29   #2236
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_kushaq View Post
Here's the video that I had recorded a month back on a decent white topped road

https://Youtu.be/oXjWAkjFLRg
This noise was there in a test drive car too. The SA said it's due to rough use but i doubt because the odo has 325 kms on it.

Overall interior of Kushaq feels like a 7-8 lakh car max! It's actually surprising how some parts even made it into production. What a shame!
DeepCarTalk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 16:13   #2237
BHPian

Anyone here who has changed the stock tyre of the Style/Topline variants in either of the VAG offerings? Or can advise on changing the stock tyres?

I am looking to change the stock MRF Wanderer 205/55/R17 in the Kushaq Style variant to a set of Michelins. In the Primacy range, they only seem to have the 215/60/R17, not a 205/55/R17.

Would a 215 too fit in or should it be a 205 only? Also, what will be the implication of a change in the aspect ratio from 55 to 60? Thanks!
Old 29th January 2022, 18:29   #2238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1706 View Post
I am looking to change the stock MRF Wanderer 205/55/R17 in the Kushaq Style variant to a set of Michelins. In the Primacy range, they only seem to have the 215/60/R17, not a 205/55/R17.

Would a 215 too fit in or should it be a 205 only? Also, what will be the implication of a change in the aspect ratio from 55 to 60? Thanks!
Change of aspect ratio from 55 to 60 is a huge change in your case bacause the width has also increased from 205mm to 215mm. Please note that the aspect ratio number is used to multiply the width, to arrive at height (of side wall) of tyre. Overall radius increases accordingly. Using online calculator shows that your proposal is close to 5% oversize. Recommended is <2%.
Typically when you upsize a tyre (choosing wider tyre), you reduce the aspect ratio by one step or so.
Guite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 23:28   #2239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Change of aspect ratio from 55 to 60 is a huge change in your case bacause the width has also increased from 205mm to 215mm. Please note that the aspect ratio number is used to multiply the width, to arrive at height (of side wall) of tyre. Overall radius increases accordingly. Using online calculator shows that your proposal is close to 5% oversize. Recommended is <2%.
Typically when you upsize a tyre (choosing wider tyre), you reduce the aspect ratio by one step or so.
Thanks, i got your point. As such, I want to stick with the recommendation by the vehicle manufacturer. All I am looking for is a close enough and doable alternative in the Michelin Primacy series to replace the stock tyres.

But because there are no 205 R17s with an aspect ratio of 55, i was looking for options.

I have now found a 215/55/R17 and, as per that calculator, that's only a 1.81% difference. Guess that should be an acceptable solution. Not sure how the 215 will stack up to the 205 on ride and handling.
Old 30th January 2022, 19:16   #2240

Re: Skoda Kushaq 1.0 TSI Ambition MT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by njaustin123 View Post

Now some pics of my 'Graphene Dark Edition' Kushaq
The paint job looks fab in my opinion. I very recently saw a post where the person had painted the black fiber parts in body colour and alloys in black and it looked much more imposing. That made me wonder how the gray one would look. Thanks to your work, I can fully imagine it now and I am in love with this combination.

Last edited by vb-saan : 8th February 2022 at 09:15. Reason: Quoted part trimmed
__viking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 23:12   #2241
BHPian

Is PPF/Ceramic coating worth the cost or is it overhyped?
Old 31st January 2022, 00:03   #2242
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto1212 View Post
Not overhyped but for a Kushaq it is overkill. PPF is better for more premium cars with expensive OEM paints and where the repair cost for a scratch is much higher.

I wouldn't bother with PPF or ceramic on a Kushaq as the body panels and paint are all standard fare and nothing special. Save yourself a good 70-80K and just maintain it well with detailing shop visits every 2 years.
Vid6639 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 10:58   #2243
BHPian

Quote:
If you are inclined then better to go with PPF on high impact areas. Ceramic coating will also require regular maintenance. Detailing couple of times a year at a good detailing studio should also suffice. We tend to splurge when vehicle is new and overlook long term maintenance. If you want to keep your car in top shape approach then approach it like test match rather than a one day.
CircleOfLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 11:56   #2244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Not overhyped but for a Kushaq it is overkill.

I wouldn't bother with PPF or ceramic on a Kushaq as the body panels and paint are all standard fare and nothing special.
It is saddening to see this elitist mindset on a forum like Team-BHP.

The OP is asking for an objective opinion on the effectiveness of PPF/Ceramic coating treatment for protecting the paint of a vehicle.

Judging the Kushaq's body panels/paint as "nothing special" is an avoidable response, even if your opinion may be so, it's best kept to self.

Every car is special for the owner, be it a Maruti SPresso or a Mercedes S-Class, and having a desire to protect the paint is a natural joy of ownership.

Shouldn't moderators be setting the right example by demonstrating adequate maturity?

It doesn't take much effort to be respectful (even on the internet), if one has the intent to be graceful/classy.

Quote:
I feel that a ceramic coat is absolutely worth it, for a brand new vehicle.

A friend got a Graphene coating (has a 5-year warranty with intermittent touch-ups if necessary) done for his Kushaq and is very happy with it. The total cost was 25K which is worth it in terms of avoiding swirls/smudges on the paint.

Do note that ceramic coat cannot prevent scratches, for which PPF is the only option. One may choose to get it done on the front/rear bumpers (if one so desires) - it will surely help to prevent scratches.
GoBlue is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 12:37   #2245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post

The OP is asking for an objective opinion on the effectiveness of PPF/Ceramic coating treatment for protecting the paint of a vehicle.

Judging the Kushaq's body panels/paint as "nothing special" is an avoidable response, even if your opinion may be so, it's best kept to self.

Every car is special for the owner, be it a Maruti SPresso or a Mercedes S-Class, and having a desire to protect the paint is a natural joy of ownership.

Shouldn't moderators be setting the right example by demonstrating adequate maturity?

It doesn't take much effort to be respectful (even on the internet), if one has the intent to be graceful/classy.
I am being honest and saving the OP 70-80K of money. I do not have PPF on my Corolla or my Ecosport and have it only on my Kodiaq. I have also tried for the sake of giving feedback to others and helping others 2 different types of ceramic coatings.

Ceramic is a sheer waste of money as you need to maintain it even more carefully and do regular top up coatings annually. You still can't prevent against scratches and need to clean the car perfectly else the coating goes away in a few months.

Unless you have a car in which the panel repair cost is worth more than PPF cost I do not recommend PPF to anyone. If you can maintain it well, you can save money on PPF.

I have seen ample cases where the person had put PPF on a car and met with an accident. Then he was upset that he spent for painting, tinkering and then on top of that additional for PPF for those panels.

On top of that PPF unbranded or low quality is worse than having no PPF at all. So if you go for PPF it should be XPEL or Hexis or Stek or equivalent brand which for a Kushaq will be more than 1 lakh. 5% of the car price for PPF makes no economical sense as well.

I have personally recommended PPF to others in the past for cars like Ciaz and W-RV but realised it made no difference even if I hadn't.
Vid6639 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 16:38   #2246
BHPian

Quote:
I am being honest and saving the OP 70-80K of money. I do not have PPF on my Corolla or my Ecosport and have it only on my Kodiaq. I have also tried for the sake of giving feedback to others and helping others 2 different types of ceramic coatings.

Ceramic is a sheer waste of money as you need to maintain it even more carefully and do regular top up coatings annually. You still can't prevent against scratches and need to clean the car perfectly else the coating goes away in a few months.
Aren't the top up coats covered in the package cost? I got Kushaq recently and was pondering if I should get it ceramic coated. To my knowledge, ceramic coating is more of a cosmetic job than actual protection. Sure, it does protect the paint against direct exposure to environment, bird drops etc. while also making the car shine. I would say that's the main draw for most people than the protection it offers.

What would you suggest in terms of keeping the car shining even without a ceramic coat? Especially, if it's parked in the open mostly, although in shade. I tried using the cover, but it rained once and I realized how useless it was. It allowed water to creep in and the muddy water stayed there for a week. Now I can't use the cover unless I wash it To be fair though, it's good for about 6-8 months a year depending on where you live and assuming you have the consistency to use it everytime

Last edited by amey027 : 31st January 2022 at 16:41.
Old 31st January 2022, 20:03   #2247
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amey027 View Post
Aren't the top up coats covered in the package cost? I got Kushaq recently and was pondering if I should get it ceramic coated. To my knowledge, ceramic coating is more of a cosmetic job than actual protection. Sure, it does protect the paint against direct exposure to environment, bird drops etc. while also making the car shine. I would say that's the main draw for most people than the protection it offers.
It depends on the detailer and his package. Some include top up, some charge for top up. Also any premium detailer that offers brands like CarPro Cquartz, Gyeon etc will not charge 25K for ceramic. Probably more than 35-40K.

Ceramic has limited protection to swirls and chemicals. It provides good gloss and water beading.

If you are parked outside it is the harshest condition. Ceramic will provide protection for a few months at max.

PPF is a better option if you want carefree protection and are ok to spend. But as I mentioned before, it's too expensive for a 20L car with high local content and volumes. Personally my recommendation is PPF for CKD/CBU cars who have expensive paints and showroom can never match the higher quality paint job on cars like Merc, BMW, Audi or the Skoda/VW CKD+SKD cars like the Tiguan, Superb, Octavia, Kodiaq.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 12:23   #2248
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Kushaq proved to be a volume driver for the company, helping increase the sales figures for January.

Quote:
Skoda Auto India witnesses a 200% growth in sales volume compared to January 2021. Skoda registers a sale of 3009 units.
Skoda Kushaq Review-20220201_110549.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 1st February 2022 at 12:25.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 14:01   #2249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post

Do note that ceramic coat cannot prevent scratches, for which PPF is the only option. One may choose to get it done on the front/rear bumpers (if one so desires) - it will surely help to prevent scratches.
If you approach it with economics behind it, then comments in post are out of context. Couple of days back i was at detailing studio and a Tata harrier pulled in. Front bumper has grazed against a wall. Car had Garware PPF. On closer inspection paint has peeled off and just replacement of PPF wouldn't suffice. Considering this owner was advised to get bumper repainted and then PPF could be reapplied.

Consider the cost involved here. Initial upfront cost of PPF + Repaint cost + cost of reapplying PPF. Even with insurance claim owner is spending way more than just repaint cost. Is it any wise investment here?

Similarly few high end cars which have ceramic coating regularly visit this detailing studio. Most of these needed heavy correction & in 2 years and they don't look as shiny or sometimes even worse than car of the same age with out ceramic. If the vehicle is exposed to harsh weather conditions on day to day basis then water beading also will not last more than avg 6-8 months. Initial coating looks super good & wait for couple of years then return with the long term feedback. If vehicle is washed by your watchman or driver then one will notice faster degradation. There is a very limited protection against swirls as its a very light coating (microns). Unless you are regularly maintaining for next 5 years it won't last. With the warranty there are rider conditions.

Graphene is again a different story few reputed folks in the industry call it a marketing gimmick with out much added value.

Story is similar with PPF. With the upfront cost of investment on PPF you probably can get through with less than 50% of cost for any repaints on minor issues during the life of vehicle.

It's individual choice if you want to splurge, but if you purely look from upfront investment cost vs periodic investment vs repair cost you will know what works best for your pocket and returns you best bang for your investment. It's usually head vs heart story

My previous vehicle was in top shape until the day had to part away with it. I was doing regular maintenance personally and once in a year visit to detailer for any swirl marks removal. Front bumper needed to be painted once and the back bumper had to be replaced. Now even these 2 repairs i didn't spend more than 20k during 4.5 yr period. No insurance was claimed. Once in a year detailer place was 3.5-4k. On average over 4 years it works out 36k .

If I would invested in ceramic, it would have costed good 30-40k depending on the quality of products used. Over 4.5 years I would have spent Initial ceramic coating cost + repair cost + cost of recoating ceramic to the affected panels. i.e 30K (ceramic coating) + 20K (repair cost) + 8K ( re apply to ceramic, rough estimate) = 58k.

36k VS 58K math is simple. With ceramic coating cost of maintenance over 4 year period was more and without tangible benefits.

Quote:

Unless you have a car in which the panel repair cost is worth more than PPF cost I do not recommend PPF to anyone. If you can maintain it well, you can save money on PPF.

I have seen ample cases where the person had put PPF on a car and met with an accident. Then he was upset that he spent for painting, tinkering and then on top of that additional for PPF for those panels.

On top of that PPF unbranded or low quality is worse than having no PPF at all. So if you go for PPF it should be XPEL or Hexis or Stek or equivalent brand which for a Kushaq will be more than 1 lakh. 5% of the car price for PPF makes no economical sense as well.

I have personally recommended PPF to others in the past for cars like Ciaz and W-RV but realised it made no difference even if I hadn't.
Absolutely agree with every statement. It's a very sound & rationale advice.

Now a days lot of detailers are giving 5 year warranty on ceramic and some of them heavily use local brands or mark up products as their own brands. Reputed dealer who is using well established product will charge more premium to keep profit margins intact. Neither every detailer tells you the entire story and the term & conditions attached with it. It's like a fine print we tend to oversee. In some ways you are locked with them for regular wash, wax & top coating. This is crucial to extend any life on the ceramic coating. Also day to day maintenance using proper cleaning technique is recommended. Even the packages offered, you are investing upfront a substantial moolah. Bottom line it's not apply and forget product, but one that needs proper TLC over period, same results can be achieved with regular discipline regular maintenance. Is it worth it ? Call is yours, we are tend to get emotional with new purchases.

Last edited by CircleOfLife : 1st February 2022 at 14:05.
CircleOfLife is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 15:07   #2250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have seen several folks doing full body PPF for this class of vehicles. I do not think it is necessary because its much cheaper to repaint a panel when there is a scratch.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed