Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2022, 10:02   #2656
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Any recommendation for an outdoor/rain cover for the Kushaq, that can last at least a couple of years?
The one that came with the car is torn already, and it has left a heck lot of scratches all over.

Checked out TPH covers, the rain resistant ones (80%) are like close to 8000, which seems a bit too much for a cover.

Last edited by ridehard : 14th June 2022 at 10:03.
Old 15th June 2022, 19:10   #2657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridehard View Post
Any recommendation for an outdoor/rain cover for the Kushaq, that can last at least a couple of years?
The one that came with the car is torn already, and it has left a heck lot of scratches all over.

Checked out TPH covers, the rain resistant ones (80%) are like close to 8000, which seems a bit too much for a cover.
Hi, you can try Autofurnish. I'm using them for my present vehicles, the material is quite thick than the OEM, resists dust very well, though not 100% waterproof, it will protect to a greater extent compared to the OEM cover.
kaushiksudra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 21:32   #2658
BHPian

Guys,
The SA at a Skoda dealership has told me that they are giving a 15k discount on the style variant. This is a compensation of removing the 10 inch infotainment unit.
Old 17th June 2022, 10:06   #2659
BHPian

The driver side one-touch was giving constant troubles when pulling up. Dropped the car at the service center (Gurudev, Chennai) a couple of days back. Took the chance to also let them know about the minor plastic creak sound near audio system when going over bumpy roads.

The motor was changed (in warranty), but the service center team still had the car for two days, mainly for resolving the creak sound.
The slight creak sound is completely gone now, and the cabin is an even better place to be.

Of all the horror stories I've heard about this particular service center before, definitely impressed with the work that they've done for both the previous trip (door rattle), and the current one.

Only thing that they don't budge for is the horn replacement (with warranty intact)

Last edited by ridehard : 17th June 2022 at 10:08.
ridehard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 15:13   #2660
BHPian

Quote:
The driver side one-touch was giving constant troubles when pulling up. Dropped the car at the service center (Gurudev, Chennai) a couple of days back.

The motor was changed (in warranty)
I have the problem for driver side one touch up as it will stop mid way and wil give up after few times. I will continuosly press up to close the window. Is it the same issue for you? Has changing the motor solved it?

If it is general complaint, Skoda should inform the owners if they have a solution.
Old 17th June 2022, 15:46   #2661
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
I have the problem for driver side one touch up as it will stop mid way and wil give up after few times. I will continuosly press up to close the window. Is it the same issue for you? Has changing the motor solved it?

If it is general complaint, Skoda should inform the owners if they have a solution.
Yes, quite similar. Only thing is after a while even continuously pressing up also stopped closing. I had to alternate the button action at least 10 times to get it up.
Yes, now it works well with the new motor. And I believe it has become a standard operating guideline for the Service centers for this issue.
Old 18th June 2022, 02:00   #2662

We recently upgraded the wheels on my cousin's Kushaq Peace Active in Bangalore. After much deliberation, some cost-benefit assessment and a lot of search for the 17 inch OEM alloys, we landed at Madhu's at Wilson Garden!

Choice of tyres

We were certain that we want to go with Michelins. As per our research, the closest sizes to the OEM size were 215/55/R17 and 225/50/R17. We also briefly considered 215/60/R17, as they were significantly cheaper, but the increase in overall diameter was >5%, so we summarily rejected that spec.

So, now the decision was between 215/55/R17 Primacy 4ST and 225/50/R17 Pilot Sport 4. I am sure many others will also be confused between these two sizes, so I am briefly listing down the pros and cons for each:

215/55/R17 - Primacy 4 ST

Pros:

1. Good sidewall size and hence a cushier and more comfortable ride;
2. Tyre width only 10 mm bigger than the stock size tyres, so a comfortable fit on the 6.5J Skoda OEM alloys
3. Easily available tyre size

Cons:

1. Not as attractive looking as the 225/50/R17 (because of the slightly bigger profile)
2. Slightly more expensive than the 225/50/R17

225/50/R17 - Pilot Sport 4

Pros:

1. Exact diameter as the stock size tyres
2. Wider tyres, so better grip
3. Better looking tyres with lower profile
4. PS4 is a slightly superior Michelin product in terms of ride quality, road noise and stopping distance

Cons:

1. Significantly lower profile from the stock 16 inch tyres, hence perceived risk of poor ride comfort
2. Significantly wider tyres from the stock size tyres, hence a little bulging of sidewalls on the relatively narrower 6.5J OEM Skoda alloys. 7J would be ideal, but 6.5J is also acceptable.
3. Perceived stiffness in the steering feel due to significantly wider tyres

The decision making

Once we had the above analysis clear in our head, Mohsin from Madhu's made the decision making clear by suggesting the 225/50/R17 PS4s. He allayed our apprehensions about the not so wide alloys and the potential stiffness in steering feel. We also physically saw the tyres next to each other. True to their name, the PS4s do look comparatively sportier.

Keeping all this in mind, we decided to go with the 225/50/R17 PS4s.

The Experience at Madhu's

The experience at Madhu's was brilliant, right from Mohsin's expert advice, to Islam's meticulousness in fitting the tyres - everything felt very reassuring. Also, the tyres were manufactured in Nov 2021.

While the overall outgo for the tyres and the fitment was about Rs.2-3k higher than the best rate in the market, I would happily go to Madhu's again as the cost is fully justified by the professionalism with which they operate.

[b]Initial impressions[b]

While we are yet to take the car out for a proper spin on the highways, but immediately upon the installation and a short drive back home, the following became clear:

1. The wheels look slick and provide a massive improvement in the overall look of the car.
2. The steering feels great - not stiff at all.
3. The ride comfort doesn't seem compromised at all, if anything, minor road bumps feel smoothened and blunted now.
4. Can't comment on the road grip yet, but theoretically it is bound to have gotten better on account of the wider tyres and better compound.

Pic 1: Islam doing his thing

Skoda Kushaq Review-img0890.jpg

Pic 2: Work in progress

Skoda Kushaq Review-img0892.jpg

Pic 3: FINAL RESULT

Skoda Kushaq Review-img0893.jpg
vishal_b is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 12:33   #2663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal_b View Post
1. The wheels look slick and provide a massive improvement in the overall look of the car.
2. The steering feels great - not stiff at all.
3. The ride comfort doesn't seem compromised at all, if anything, minor road bumps feel smoothened and blunted now.
4. Can't comment on the road grip yet, but theoretically it is bound to have gotten better on account of the wider tyres and better compound.
Good upgrade! I went with the 215/55 Conti uc6, one of the best decisions ever. The ride is better, and the silent cabin is just great!

Post some better pics, would love to see the profile in different angles. May plan for the 225 for the next change in a few years

Last edited by ridehard : 18th June 2022 at 12:35.
Old 19th June 2022, 00:01   #2664
BHPian

Quote:
Good upgrade! I went with the 215/55 Conti uc6, one of the best decisions ever. The ride is better, and the silent cabin is just great!

Post some better pics, would love to see the profile in different angles. May plan for the 225 for the next change in a few years
I've gone with the 215/55 Primacy 4 st, the stock tyres are really bad when compared to the Michelin's.

I would go for 225's next time if the tyres ever wear out!
dheer4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 23:00   #2665
BHPian

Is underbody coating for rust protection necessary? Located in Chennai
Old 20th June 2022, 11:54   #2666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto1212 View Post
Is underbody coating for rust protection necessary? Located in Chennai
Coating is already there in all the kushaq's, don't get caught in SA's words and waste money.
maverickNerd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 12:05   #2667
BHPian

Did a Bangalore to Hyderabad Trip yesterday, got 30 mins jam at Kurnool, and then 15 mins near to Hyderabad, cruised most of the time at 84kmph and at 78 in Telangana highway, and then constant breaks at 60-40 speed signs to bring down the speed on Telangana highways to avoid challan.

Also, got my first service done at 10360 kms in Raja Skoda Bangalore Service center.

Completed 12000 kms now. No major issues faced till now.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq Review-whatsapp-image-20220620-11.36.35-am.jpeg  

maverickNerd is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 13:25   #2668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickNerd View Post
constant breaks at 60-40 speed signs to bring down the speed on Telangana highways to avoid challan.
They actually have speed interceptors is it? Travelling on highways even at a speeds of 80-90 seems to be getting difficult as days go by.
kaushiksudra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 13:30   #2669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushiksudra View Post
They actually have speed interceptors is it? Travelling on highways even at a speeds of 80-90 seems to be getting difficult as days go by.
Yes they have, it is very difficult to drive in Telangana now a days, every 100-200 m they are having cameras, and the roads are too good to slow down.
maverickNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 13:46   #2670

Can’t say about the humid Chennai weather, but usually cars which are manufactured don’t need an underbody rust treatment unless there is a dent or tear in the underbody.

On the other hand, I had a bad experience of getting an underbody treatment on my Honda City coz they typically use a black rubber compound for the underbody treatment. It takes a few days to completely heal and dry up - and the car’s underbody takes up a lot of dirt and mud which sticks almost permanently to the underbody. I had a really tough time getting it removed.
vishal_b is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks